JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: AAA - Namida no Nai Sekai

Author Topic: R.I.P. Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys  (Read 5009 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
R.I.P. Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »
Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys is dead at 47

Hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons says Adam Yauch, the gravelly voiced Beastie Boys rapper who co-founded the seminal hip-hop group, has died at age 47.

Calls and emails to representatives for the Beastie Boys were not immediately returned on Friday. Simmons' Def Jam label released the Beastie Boys' first album, "Licensed to Ill."

The cause of death wasn't immediately known. Yauch, who's also known as MCA, was diagnosed with a cancerous parotid gland in 2009. He had undergone surgery and radiation.

At the time, Yauch expressed hope it was "very treatable," but his illness caused the group to cancel shows and delayed the release of its 2011 album, "Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2."

He hadn't performed in public since 2009 and was absent when the Beastie Boys were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last month.
http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/simmons-adam-yauch-of-the-beastie-boys-is-dead-at/article_63c45ffc-9611-11e1-b728-0019bb30f31a.html

11:30 AM PT -- MCA's publicist just released a statement, writing, "It is with great sadness that we confirm that musician, rapper, activist and director Adam 'MCA' Yauch ... passed away in his native New York City this morning after a near-three-year battle with cancer. He was 47 years old."
http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/04/beastie-boys-adam-yauch-dead/

R.I.P.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:36:50 AM »
The Beastie Boys is the only Hip-Hop music I listen to..

R.I.P.

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 04:28:37 AM »
Woke up to Aika's grad announcement, then a couple hours later found out about this. It's been a very somber day for me today. :(

The Beastie Boys were early and long-standing proof that hip hop shouldn't be limited by one's skin color, background, or lyrical subject matter. So sad to see yet another legend go early.

I plan on playing some NBA Street v3 (which features the group as a playable team) this weekend in his honor, as well as catching up on all the classics and recent stuff they've been doing.

Rest in peace, Adam, and thanks for all the memories.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:21:16 AM »
RIP MCA.

Shit. Cancer is a bitch.

Mad props to him for his humanitarian work with Tibet too.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
R.I.P MCA

I always liked his raspy voice the most in Beastie Boys songs. You will be missed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:50:27 PM by mode107 »
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: AAA - Namida no Nai Sekai