JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Denise Ho - Hoh Hoh (Cocoa)

Author Topic: Beckham Leaving It - For L.A.  (Read 10079 times)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Beckham Leaving It - For L.A.
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:41:15 PM »
Soccer superstar David Beckham has agreed to a five-year deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy, leaving the Real Madrid club at which he enjoyed worldwide popularity. "I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own," Beckham said in a statement.

Uh....

I hope he realizes that he'll be in a sport less popular than hockey, and only marginally more so than lacrosse...

My thoughts:
L.A. Galaxy will go bankrupt within 3 years trying to pay him.
Beckham will hate being a nobody in L.A.
This was all about Posh Spice wanting to live in L.A.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:23:24 PM »
^ Agreed with everything you've said. Going to play for L.A. Galaxy is basically admitting that his best days are behind him. At 31 I think he still could have played in a more, dare I say, better league. Although he has admitted that he would only return to the Premiership for Man Utd and no-one else. But then, he did say he wants to make a decision that's good for his family. Good for Victoria I suppose, what with personal ties to a certain couple, but I think it might be difficult for the kids. Romeo is apparently turning out into a growing talent in the football school he's enrolled in, and that's according to ex-Real Madrid players.

Anyway, he and the family will get less publicity in America than over here, where paparazzi are hunting them every second. And I'm sure that's what's lead to the decision. But I can't help wondering that David's obvious skill will simply just go to waste...

I have a question though, with regards to his salary (250 million in 5 years?!). Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I heard that American football players are payed an equal salary by the league. With David coming in at a much higher rate than any other player, will the salary have to be increased to compensate for current players or what?

Offline Nobodylikeher

• ßäêßè Råïñìê
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:05:42 PM »
omg i am so wrong to think he might be going liverpool lol

Mess with the BEST
Die like the REST

Offline anythursday

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:21:44 PM »
wow... big flashy games to ....

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:53:42 PM »
wahhhh???

He's getting A-Rod money for a pro league that has no money (and no national TV contract either?).  Who owns this team in LA and what kind of credit do they have to pay this guy?

And at what age do soccer players begin to decline?  I'll bet it's in their mid-twenties, on average.  

Of course what do I know?  I couldn't even ID "Posh" Spice in a lineup with a cheat sheet.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »
Quote from: Saburo;280663

And at what age do soccer players begin to decline?  I'll bet it's in their mid-twenties, on average.  

Normally it's in their early/mid 30's that they think about retiring. But some still show they're as good as ever. Hell Teddy Sherringham is still playing and he's in his late 30's/early 40's!!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 02:16:50 AM »
"He's rubbish," said Steve Didcott, a consultant mulling the deal from a pub. "And if you're rubbish, you go to the States."
Yes, you go to the States, for a 5 year contract worth $50 Million/year.

If all rubbish gets paid like that, I wanna be rubbish.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:20:32 AM »
The only thing I know is that I'm happy for him to be in America, since he will have a chance to come to Toronto and play. That means I can see him play even if I don't have to go to England or US now!
:D
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 04:57:14 AM »
They're hoping to make more money with him there....but I don't think it would be enough to pay his contract.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 05:35:40 AM »
I hope this means less useless Beckham-stories in newspapers in Europe :)
coot is ctz

Offline amuse

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 05:49:10 AM »
BBC article about the breakup of his projected annual income (salary + sponsorship deals)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6253829.stm

Soccer (football) in America is like F1 or WRC... it just doesn't work in that country. But at least now I'll have a chance to finally watch him play live, even though his teammates will suck and it won't be as entertaining as watching him play for Man Utd, Real Madrid, or England :(
I can't stand watching MLS though. There's more excitement in local high school games than in major MLS matches......

Being a Beckham fan myself since I was young... here are 2 recent memorable clips:

Beckham scores a classic free kick to give England the lead in the knock-out round when they were playing like shit in World Cup 2006
[yt]ixP1lGZISQs[/yt]

Beckham scores an amazing free kick to take England to World Cup 2002. England would not have qualified if it weren't for his goal late in the game. It was the last chance England had and Beckham had to score...
[yt]sHM1mjsQIm4[/yt]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 06:00:16 AM by amuse »
Quote from: hot_lilAzn
i named mine Man of steel becuz it\'s always hard as steel and hard lol :wink:

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 01:29:05 PM »
Damn. I wanted him to go to Liverpool :lol:

I have this idealized version of becks in my head. One who would be happy just to play football, no matter where he was, and how much he was paid. I guess he'll miss playing for a big club, but playing definitely beats being a bench warmer, no matter where you are.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »
^ The thing is though, no matter how skilled, one man does not make a great team. I've seen MLS and it's a joke when you compare it to other competitive leagues. Without equally skilled players playing alongside you, it would be difficult to really shine.

I've read in the paper that Beckham could earn £50 million a year. Let me put that into persepective. This five year deal with L.A. Galaxy will see Beckham earn £500,000 a week, and that's taking a fixed salary, performance-related bonuses, a share of new merchandising he generates and even a cut of ticket receipts at his new team's stadium into account. The highest salary earning players here in the Premiership, Chelsea's Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko, earn £121,000 and £130,000 a week, respectively. And when you look at Galaxy, the highest paid player gets $900,000 a year. Beckham will earn more than him in 2 weeks of playing. And not's not even taking into account his sponsorship deals with Gillette, Motorola, Pepsi etc, which land him an extra £17 mil. He says it's not for the money, but come on. Do they really believe that the average American really cares about a washed up publicity whore in a minority sport? George Best and Pele tried to do it in their twilight years and nothing came out of it.

If it does help improve the quality of football in the US, then great, but I have a feeling he's really just moving so he can have pillow fights with Tom Cruise or something...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 02:43:45 PM by Tuffty »

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »
This is AMERICA.  Soccer (football) is what you make your kids do, and isn't that big here.  He'd get better props if he threw on some pads and kicked field goals for the RAIDERS.

Offline wildstarr

• Member+
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 03:06:25 AM »
Quote from: Asmodai;280410

I hope he realizes that he'll be in a sport less popular than hockey, and only marginally more so than lacrosse...

Come on.  I'm not saying soccer is all that popular here in the states but only saying its mariginally more than lacrosse is just not giving it enough credit.  It is leaps and bounds more popular than lacrosse.

Offline Shibo

• Dreaming of Otsuka Ai <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 05:38:14 PM »
I'm sure this story is front page news all over Europe, ne? Kinda sad, most people here in the states do not care at all, and many don't even know who Beckham is. As was stated earlier, I'm sure he's looking forward to touring the US and having less paperozzi following him around. I guarantee that nobody would recognize him where I live, heh.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 06:57:19 PM »
^ Actually, as far as what I can gather from people living in America, didn't every news channel choose the Beckham story over the President's speech on Iraq? :lol:

EDIT

Ouch. So much for wanting to stay to the end of the season and wanting a trophy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:12:46 PM by Tuffty »

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 09:29:31 AM »
I think so, it was supposed to be THE thing that Bush announces. Lol Beckham > Bush.

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline redbox18

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »
Looks like now Madrid trying to kick him out sooner, and yet Galaxy is not keen to have him before June.

Ouch, that can't be good for his ego..

Offline dnee chan

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 01:46:47 PM »
Yeah Capello said that he won't play beckham anymore T_T

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Denise Ho - Hoh Hoh (Cocoa)