JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Sakana

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 306020 times)

Offline Tundra Wind

• Member+
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1100 on: August 29, 2010, 11:17:37 PM »
So much hatred towards Twilight... I love you guys for that.  :lol:

Did I finish it?  No...I only read 3 out of 4 of them.  I hated book 1.  I hated book 2.  I hated book 3.  Figured if I read book 4, I might set something on fire.  It was best avoided, much like the plague, or in this case, pasty looking boys that like to "shine".
I avoid it like the plague just because there's so much hype about it. I get tired of hearing some of my friends squeal about Twilight even though they say it's an "eh" level book.  XD I did make a deal with my friends though. I'll read the whole series if they find me a real boy that shines.  :lol:

Writer's block... I'm just waiting to experience that soon. I don't really plan ahead. I know the main ideas and stuff but I just write as a daydream plays out in my head. I think it helps if you actually have the time to just let different ideas bounce around in your head. Daydreaming happens to be what I do during practices and when a teacher actually cares that I sleep in class so I have plenty of time.  XD

The only time I can go  :wub: over girl/girl is when it's H!P related and my brain still rejects the thought of me writing anything really pervy.  XD

@Sukoshi I was going to tipe up a coment with some horible spelin just for u but my brain is already attacking me for this sentence.  :lol:

@Estrea  Dang, I should've asked you to recommend a novel to me for my summer assignment... Any recommendations for books I can read in my spare time?

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #1101 on: August 30, 2010, 12:13:33 AM »
^Just outta curiosity, are you a male type person or a female type person?

Offline Tundra Wind

• Member+
« Reply #1102 on: August 30, 2010, 01:18:45 AM »
 XD I'm a female that likes males. *shrugs* Although, I don't think it would really matter if I really liked somebody.

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #1103 on: August 30, 2010, 02:25:27 AM »
^
same here XD

yet my momusu fandom is like blocking the guy love atm ^^;
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1104 on: August 30, 2010, 02:57:23 AM »
It really doesn't matter what gender you go for or what gender you are. Like I said, just curious. 8) I was under the impression that straight girls don't go for girl/girl love, but I've been proven wrong twice now. That impression is highly cultivated from my little snobbish/redneck/urban side of the woods, btw. People are... weird here... :huhuh

I, personally, am a girl who likes other girls, in case that wasn't glaringly obvious by this point. XD Though I'm not glaringly obvious IRL, unless you get to know me for the huge perv that I am. :jphip:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1105 on: August 30, 2010, 04:06:33 AM »
^Haha rndm, it's hard to not notice your girl love. :P And hey, we're on JPHiP. Everyone by default is a perv...it's just either a matter of time, or of degree. Hehe.

@Tundra: I recommend Instance at the Fingerpost by Iain Pears, if you want something that really teaches you about how different perspectives affect the telling of a story, and also, how to not trust the narrator. XD Because the character you choose to voice the perspective has their biases and experiences, so it affects their judgement, or at least it's supposed to. :D Wonderfully complicated story. :D

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #1106 on: August 30, 2010, 04:58:31 AM »
I've personally never touched the Twilight series, and after hearing that summary, I even go to the point of frowning at people who enjoy it. I mean, seriously, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU IF YOU LIKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS? :lol:

You! or Rokun....go read book 1 at least.....why must only I know the true horrors of such writing?  It wasn't suppose to be a lesson in self inflicted punishment you know...it was quite innocent really...it was a bestseller with multiple volumes.  I generally like best sellers with multiple volumes.  What could possibly go wrong?   :mon dunno:
after it went terribly terribly wrong...pure hatred fueled me on to read the next 2 XD  I had to know why the heck people liked the book.  After reading book 3, turns out people were just crazy XD

@Sukoshi I was going to tipe up a coment with some horible spelin just for u but my brain is already attacking me for this sentence.  :lol:

Brain going like this:

"I was going to type up a comment with some horrible spelling just for you but my brain is already attacking me for this sentence."

Now brain going like this:

:mon fire:  at Tundra!

@Sukoshi: I can't stand TakaGaki or TanaKame. Do you hate me too? :P

Now brain going like this:

:mon fire:  at Estrea!

....*minutes later*

:mon ghost:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1107 on: August 30, 2010, 05:06:23 AM »
Awww Sukoshi, but no, I will not read Twilight and kill brain cells. XD

*high fives Tundra* We should mess with Sukoshi's head more. XD So much fun! :P

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Tundra Wind

• Member+
« Reply #1108 on: August 30, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »
Can't help but be perverted. My friends are so weird that I love them.

@Sukoshi  :cry: <- Tears of joy.  :lol: So much love going around.

@Estrea  :D That book does sound wonderfully complicated. XD Can't resist messing with Sukoshi's head.

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
« Reply #1109 on: August 30, 2010, 05:27:59 AM »
Hehe careful Tundra, you don't know the true evilness of Sukoshi.  :ph43r:

and as for you! Estrea!  *just stares some more*  :ph43r:  ....

I will exact my revenge later tonight :P

Offline Tundra Wind

• Member+
« Reply #1110 on: August 30, 2010, 05:45:33 AM »
*hides behind Estrea* Take care of the newbie.  :lol:

Offline Beecubed

• Charmy Follower 4 Life. <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I am of IshiYoshi faith.
« Reply #1111 on: August 30, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »
Gee, Gegenschein? Hmm...looks like I have a lot of work to do.

Please don't think of it as work. Enjoy the authoring as much as you can while you can.  :thumbsup
And I'm so glad to see you've put up a new thread for it!  :bow:

I have a confession to make. A long time ago (5, 6 years at least), I was truly awful at writing, and after receiving a scathing review of one of my early stories, I quit writing for 2 years entirely. I only picked it up again 3 years ago because of, of all things, Strawberry Panic. Lmao. Girl/girl love brought me back to fanfic writing (I used to write strictly het stuff XD), and I've never really departed from that genre again. :lol:

I think I've read this from you earlier in the thread (yeah, I did go through the whole thing some months ago xD).

I'm finding it very hard to believe that you could be 'truly awful at writing', even if this was 5-6 years ago. If you were talking about when you were still in primary school, sure thing, but 5-6 years ago you were still a teen. When most people (on average anyway) reach the 15 year mark, they'd have a pretty stable control over their language skills, and it's only a matter of improving. You might have just run into a troll of a reader...

You used to write het stuff?  :shocked:

Stawberry Panic  :lol: As much as that's a somewhat  :err:  kind of series... you've got to love it  :nervous

Now...I wish I was better. I sometimes think I could work on something original and try to get it published, because for me writing is Serious Bizness. XD There's nothing that excites me more, that consumes me more entirely than writing. I know not everyone feels that way, but that's how I feel even while writing fanfiction. XD So...it matters to me. XD Even though I think, well, I need more criticism. :/

Your fanfiction alone speaks volumes about what writing means to you  :heart:

I love writing too, probably a lot more back when I had so much free time on my hands and my mind was still fresh and untainted  XD But yeah, it's more of a hobby than anything else, so you get many kudos for being serious about it. ^___^

Here's some criticism for you: WRITE MORE!  :heart:
(And update the stuff that you've written xD)

I can't stand TakaGaki or TanaKame.

:mon wtf:

You sure wrote TakaGaki well in AA though  :sweatdrop:

What do I consider a good book? Hmm...

Interesting...  :grin:

We have different tastes. I guess I should probably start reading things which require a bit more brain power then!  :lol:

Or have I been writing here for over 5 years now? I don't remember. >.> Right around there probably.

Wow, another one of our seniors  :bow:
I haven't read anything from you yet, rokun, but AYGO is on my reading list right now (along with the rest of the JPH!P fanfic forum  XD).

In that way it's never been completely serious business for me... I don't go through all the revisions and such everyone seems to. I just write what comes to mind and let it basically develop like it does. I suppose there is some seriousness especially with some stories since I have like pages and pages of notes and back story, but I'm still not sure I really think of it that way.

I think that's what fanfiction should be - a lot of fun and not too much sweat and headache. But a lot of people seem to have taken it further and see their fanfics as their babies, what they're dedicated to, and as a means for them to express themselves to an audience who will respond.

They've even offered to let me have one of their unused allowances to publish something... but I feel like that is just too huge a step for me and haven't taken the opportunity.

:shocked
Wow, so lucky!
But I can understand why you'd turn it down. It takes a lot of work and determination, and if you haven't got the drive then it's probably for the best that you don't take on such a task.  :yep:

but I think it should calm down a bit again within the next couple weeks so I can start writing more again. I definitely hope so. :)

I hope so too. ^__^
Though it doesn't help that I don't follow anything else besides MM  :sweatdrop:

i've just been trying to pop out oneshots which help but like when i get ideas they only last for so long that by the time im motivated to type it out on word my mind just dies^^; anyone have tips on that?^^;

Keep a notebook of ideas, jot them down so you don't lose any details!

also like i'd love someone to seriously tell me what they think of my writings and such like i really want to know XD eventhough i know about the spelling and such....i didnt have word on my old computer so i just typed up what i'd written down in a notebook XD thankfuly now on my laptop i have wrd so i  have to force myself into using it ^^;

You're on my reading list too, kawaii beam... I'll get to reading you eventually, and if you really want someone to seriously tell you what they think of your writing, I could try.  :P

Anyway, for Writer's Block/lack of creativity I'm sure there's plenty of advice floating around here. As for me, my creativity comes and goes in uncontrolled bursts. Like, the most random things will make me think of something. A pretty scenery, something funny my friend said or even a TV show. Does this help? *is unsure* :panic:

I think that's where most people get their ideas from, rndm.  :lol: THE WORLD!

I don't think we could ever be truly original with our ideas, they're almost always based on or inspired by what we see, read, hear about around us... books, movies, a conversation with friends, anything and everything from the media.

I personally draw a lot from talking to people!

Writer's block... I'm just waiting to experience that soon. I don't really plan ahead. I know the main ideas and stuff but I just write as a daydream plays out in my head. I think it helps if you actually have the time to just let different ideas bounce around in your head. Daydreaming happens to be what I do during practices and when a teacher actually cares that I sleep in class so I have plenty of time.  XD

Daydreaming is a GODSEND.  :D

Kids these days need T.V, games or the net to keep their minds occupied, they don't know how to entertain themselves with just their mind.

I don't ever get bored waiting in cues or anything because I can just entertain myself with my imagination  :grin: (and no, it's nothing dirty! ...  :twisted:)
It's also how I get a lot of ideas for fanfics and stuff too.

So yeah, daydreaming is not an annoying habit people tend to see it as.  :thumbsup

I was under the impression that straight girls don't go for girl/girl love

I'm also a girl who likes men.  :inlove: (Yamashita Tomohisa was the only one I could lay eyes on for a while...)

And at the beginning of my MM fandom it was a little weird reading yuri stuff, but it's natural now  :twisted:

But I still probably wouldn't turn gay for any of them. Except Yossie. And maybe Ai-chan.   :shy1:

I recommend Instance at the Fingerpost by Iain Pears...

*adds to book list*

There's one book I'd recommend to anybody: http://www.amazon.com/Shantaram-Novel-Gregory-David-Roberts/dp/0312330529

Looks like it's being adapted to the big screen too.

But it's one book whose sheer awesomeness I can't get over...  :bleed eyes:

You! or Rokun....go read book 1 at least.....why must only I know the true horrors of such writing?  It wasn't suppose to be a lesson in self inflicted punishment you know...it was quite innocent really...it was a bestseller with multiple volumes.  I generally like best sellers with multiple volumes.  What could possibly go wrong?   :mon dunno:

:rofl:

I agree with Sukoshi, actually.

After reading at least the first book, you will feel better about yourself as a writer  :lol:

If Stephenie Meyer could somehow manage to grab this much attention with her officially published work, you (referring to Essy, since you're thinking about getting published) would feel pretty damn competent.

I say read it. You might kill some brain cells along the way, but in turn you're going to get an easy boost of confidence.  :P

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
« Reply #1112 on: August 30, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »
Estrea chan~  I've executed my revenge.  Out of the slight kindness of my heart, I let the first and last letters be, Cambridge theory and all.  Well...most of the time anyway.  Enjoy :P

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #1113 on: August 30, 2010, 04:01:09 PM »
 Beecubed, i seriously love your long replies XDD they never seem to amaze me....god i cant spell XD sorry Sukoshi^^;

but yeah beecubed i'll be sure to send something your way if i haver need a 3rd oppinion...why 3rd? cus rndy's like my jedai master in writing XD so if she's never on i shall certantly come to you^^

ah i wish i could day dream at college....but that wouldnt be good XDD sometimes i get ideas from anime pics too^^; eventhough the site's kinda pervy, danbooru really helps to keep my mind in check for some reason^^;  but drawing kinda helps me with ideas aswell as when i day dream

i also get ideas from other ppl's fics here too ^^ like my latest oneshot, for some reason i thought it's be epic to mske ai a player....no thanks to reading essy's and rokun's newest chapters XD
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1114 on: August 30, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »
Hehe careful Tundra, you don't know the true evilness of Sukoshi.  :ph43r:

and as for you! Estrea!  *just stares some more*  :ph43r:  ....

I will exact my revenge later tonight :P

Oh my god you actually did exact revenge. *goggles* *horrified*

You twisted evil creature. I hate you.

:lol:

But I did manage to decipher it. Damnit, all those IQ tests back when I was a kid seems to be right on about damn anagrams! orz

I'll get back at you some day. Some day...*plots*

@Beecubed: I used to like TakaGaki. But with the Great Influx of the pairing circa 2008-2009, I lost interest the moment it became painfully mainstream. If experience in previous fandoms has taught me anything, it's that when a pairing goes mainstream, the ratio of bad stories to good ones becomes incredibly high. D: And that really turns me off eventually. Unless I really love the pairing (like ShizNat in Mai Hime :P). That and, I never really liked Gaki, so it's hard to write about her. I'm biased. XD

Daydreaming is a GODSEND.

Kids these days need T.V, games or the net to keep their minds occupied, they don't know how to entertain themselves with just their mind.

I don't ever get bored waiting in cues or anything because I can just entertain myself with my imagination   (and no, it's nothing dirty! ...  )
It's also how I get a lot of ideas for fanfics and stuff too.

So yeah, daydreaming is not an annoying habit people tend to see it as. 

Seconded! I never really need anything, except perhaps music, because I like to have background music to help me imagine stuff better. Hence why my PSP is stuffed with OSTs from various shows and stuff. XD I can see things in my mind better when there is sound effect to help things along. XD

And as for the Twilight thing, I might someday maybe pick it up when I have absolutely nothing better to do, probably from the library because it's not worth wasting money on. XD And then I shall report my reaction faithfully. :D

*hides behind Estrea* Take care of the newbie.  :lol:

*punts Sukoshi* She's still under newbie protection. XD No touch-y until...6 months later. Or less. Maybe.

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1115 on: August 30, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »
^ You never really liked Gaki!? *Le Gasp* I could never tell! :P

ShizNat is win, though. I'm quite taken with one story on ff.net, Inter Nos. Really, the only one worth mentioning.  XD

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1116 on: August 30, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »
^Oh I love Inter Nos! I lost a lot of sleep marathoning it the first time round. XD

*high fives rndm* :D

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1117 on: August 30, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
Yay! XD *is high-fived*

I just noticed that it's up to 50, gotta review 49 and read the new chapter!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1118 on: August 30, 2010, 07:29:45 PM »
Haha I'm a lazy reader, I lurk too much and never review. My excuse is that my own writing occupies me so much that it drains all available brain cells, therefore I don't have any left over for reviewing. *is shot*

On another note, I'm doing so much groundwork for Gegenschein that it feels like a whole saga on its own. Lmao. Yet it doesn't feel burdensome, because I enjoy laying out things like that. I love creating worlds and stories. It gives me more satisfaction than anything else I could ever do. :D

Need artists to help though. I would definitely like some artwork for the series eventually (lol, AA had fanart if I recall, and that was flattering), and it feels funny to request for it, but I have to since I can't draw for nuts. XD

There's one scene that needs drawing for Tablet I of GG:TF. The one where Raven holds the body of a young boy in his/her arms, snow swirling around them, and the dead half hidden in the storm. I wish I could draw. :/ Then I could illustrate those wonderful scenes I see in my head. D:

Somebody help me!!!!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1119 on: August 30, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
I would love to help, alas, I cannot draw either. My stick figures are rough, man. :lol:

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Sakana