JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kelly Chen - Affected Taste Bud

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 484623 times)

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1100 on: August 08, 2007, 03:53:48 PM »
I'm looking into buying a tablet PC, I don't know much about tablet PC so I need you guys to suggest me what's good. My budget will be mid 1K.
I'm thinking about the Asus models, any other recommendations?
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1101 on: August 08, 2007, 04:21:41 PM »
^ The new HP 2710 seems to be interesting.

Try for some more info here: http://www.gottabemobile.com/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:23:45 PM by frblckstr1 »

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1102 on: August 10, 2007, 01:58:55 AM »
i downloaded torrent file alot, using Flashget.  but whenever i do, my internet speed, and every comp in the network slow down tremendously.  i think it have to do with the download/upload speed of torrent files.  but i wonder is there anyway to fix this or change it.  like:

-if using a particular torrent software would help? other than flashget?
-changing some settings on how the torrent is downloaded/uploaded, on flashget?
-upgrading some hardware, like a better cable modem or a wireless router?
-upgrading the internet service?

i want to be able to download torrent file without greatly affecting the overall internet performance or my network.  if anyone have any ideas, advices, etc.  please, clue me in.  thanks in advance.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1103 on: August 10, 2007, 04:18:17 AM »
Try reducing the number of connections, that's what causes most of the chugging. Reducing the number of peers to 10 or so will free up bandwidth. Your stuff will download slower though.

Unless your router is really bad, I doubt that's the issue. Most are able to handle 4-8 100MB/s connections after all.

Upgrading internet service is always helpful. It depends what you're own now. If you already have 4mb/s+, you're unlikely to notice a huge change. If you're below that, it's probably worthwhile. I have a 8mb/s connection at home, and I don't notice slowdowns even when downloading torrents at 800KB/s.

Your comp slows down? Make sure that you have the router handling the gateway tasks, not a computer in your network.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1104 on: August 10, 2007, 04:58:28 AM »
What's the max upload rate you have your torrents set to? I've noticed that if the total upload rate is set too high, it slows down my connection.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1105 on: August 10, 2007, 05:15:33 AM »
As mentioned several times here (and in the readme's of most bittorrent clients) never use the maximum upload speed, stay at about 70% of the maximum upload KB/s your internet connection can handle.
If your BT client can't handle a 'maximum upload per second for all connections' use one that can.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1106 on: August 10, 2007, 05:43:51 AM »
I recommend using utorrent for torrents, it has it's own lSpeed Guide where it lets you check your upload speed, and cap it accordingly. very helpful if you're new to all of it.

I noticed flashget had support for torrents but since I prefer not to use it, I just installed an older version that should still be available in flashget's site.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1107 on: August 10, 2007, 11:07:35 AM »
wow... thanks for all the advice, guys.  really appreciate it.  i'll try it, thanks. hmm, let's see,i reduce my download speed and i'll try to mess with the other settings as well.  and i'm thinking of upgrading the Internet anyway so we'll see how that goes. rite now i have the slowest package that my ISP provide. 

Your comp slows down? Make sure that you have the router handling the gateway tasks, not a computer in your network.

no, it's not that my comp slows down, but the internet.  it takes a long while for a webpage to load compare to when i'm not downloading bt. 

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1108 on: August 10, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »
I'm lucky to even type this...Since Wed night my wireless internet has been slow and I mean SLOW, for no apparent reason, to the point where no pages will load at all. Sometimes if pages wouldn't load, I've restarted the system and pulled the plug out of the wireless router and re-inserted it, either of which fits the bill. But not this time. I started to suspect my laptop but checked on my sisters laptop and the PC, but they're all experiencing the same difficulty. I've scanned the laptop for any spyware, and, although finding several cookies and removing them, still no luck. Any advice?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:44:00 PM by Tuffty »

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #1109 on: August 10, 2007, 02:21:54 PM »
Try using a cable instead of the wireless, if you find it's still slow then it might be a dodgy router. What brand is it? Try a firmware upgrade maybe.

If it's not slow on the cable (the problem is related to just the wireless) then try changing the channel that your wireless access point is using.

If the wireless access point supports b and g, try changing it down to just using b which is usually a more stable connection even though it's only 11mbit it should be fine for internet use.

Silly question but, is your wireless secure? Try changing the encryption mode to a different one, and try re-entering a new key or even just briefly try it unsecured. (don't leave it like this though)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:23:22 PM by ebc »

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1110 on: August 12, 2007, 01:45:38 AM »
soo iim wondering i can hook up my ps3 on my pc monitor or not. my pc monitor is the lcd samsung syncmaster 710m. its a mediocre monitor that serve its purpose pretty much. not HD though but i dont really mind since i dont want to play my ps3 on my living room. so im wondering if its possible to hook up my ps3 to this monitor? if so, how?

my monitor tech spec that i think might be informative.
Input signals: Analog RGB
Input connector/cable: 15-pin D-sub
Plug and play: DDC 2B

More detailed
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Samsung_SyncMaster_710M_Silver_17_LCD_Monitor/710M/ps/407491
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:49:36 AM by Mugen »

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1111 on: August 12, 2007, 03:57:44 AM »
You'd have to get an adapter I think. Although I'm not sure how well it would work cause your monitor doesn't support 1080p and also to watch blu-ray movies you have no choice but to use an HDCP compliant TV. But you could try one of these:

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/playstation-adapters-c-189_227.html

This guy has written some specific instructions for doing what you want to do if you have trouble, actually it does look a bit strangely complicted like you can't just plug everything in and it works :s

http://www.ps3hacks.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3546

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1112 on: August 12, 2007, 08:07:13 AM »
cool thxs for the site.

Offline chokkan 2

• ecchi
  • Leader ~~~~~~
« Reply #1113 on: August 12, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
help >_<""  my computer keep automatically turn off (NOT shut down) after around 15 seconds I press the power button ..... I don't know what happened ...... I did RMA the CPU and Motherboard.... bought new RAM and new Powersupply....(so all of the main parts are NEW) ...... I also disconnected all the internal and external hardwares (including Harddisks and DVD Rom), but nothing works ..... no matter what I do, it still automatically turn off ......

is it possible that it's caused by a virus, if so what should I do ?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1114 on: August 12, 2007, 10:29:29 AM »
^ 15 seconds? thats normally not enough to even boot a machine (unless you resume form sleep)

And BIOS virus are very rare (only in labs a.f.a.i.k.)

Is sounds like a short or maybe the ground wires not connected properly, or simple the power supply gone bad.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:29:45 AM by frblckstr1 »

Offline chokkan 2

• ecchi
  • Leader ~~~~~~
« Reply #1115 on: August 12, 2007, 10:35:18 AM »
the power supply is new (the wires are also new) ... I even got a USP to make sure I got power ......

yeah, BIOS virus are very rare and my motherboard already RMA .........so .....  is it possible that one of my hardware is spreading a BIOS virus ?? Can it hide in my display card or my RAM ??
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:39:42 AM by chokkan 2 »

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1116 on: August 12, 2007, 10:49:41 AM »
Doesn't sound like a virus but a simple format and reinstall of Windows will fix any software probs.
Sounds to me that's what it needs actually.

By turn off do you mean that there are no power lights on the computer at all? or does it reboot by itself?

The point at which it does this "automatic turn off" is it the same place each time and is it when Windows is booting or is it already in Windows?

Offline chokkan 2

• ecchi
  • Leader ~~~~~~
« Reply #1117 on: August 12, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »
there are power light, but the system itself just turn off .......

I have already disconnected all of my harddisks so it's impossible to be a software problem .... and it happened after around 15 seconds I press the power button ... just enough time to load the BIOS (so frblckstr1 is probably right, it's probably a BIOS virus)

so what should I do ...........

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1118 on: August 12, 2007, 11:04:23 AM »
That was happening to me last year.. All mine ended up being, was the heat sink compound needed replacing, and it's been sweet ever since.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1119 on: August 12, 2007, 11:24:59 AM »
Yeah it's not a virus. I just didn't quite read that you had disconnected your hdds, my bad.

Do what guchi_jr  said and check that heatsink is actually making good contact with the cpu.

What's the model of the motherboard btw?

After that, I guess you've replaced pretty much everything else already so perhaps it's bad luck and you have another faulty part somewhere there.
You'll just have to swap out parts until you get it working again, got any friends with similar hardware you can try?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:26:43 AM by ebc »

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kelly Chen - Affected Taste Bud