JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Sexy Love

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 480363 times)

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1140 on: August 23, 2007, 01:23:48 AM »
exactly how hard it is to change a microprocessor or CPU on a desktop computer? 
i mean i heard that it's not like u take connect or disconnect it through a slot on the motherboard, instead u solder it onto the board and stuff rite?

btw, is it more difficult to do it on a laptop comp?

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #1141 on: August 23, 2007, 02:14:35 AM »
Yeah you gotta solder all the contact points to your motherboard. (there is several hundred so it takes about a week)

It's why computer technicians are so highly paid, you have to be skilled and stuff. You should never try it at home!

PEOPLE HAVE DIED!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 02:16:01 AM by ebc »

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1142 on: August 23, 2007, 02:47:18 AM »
Sorry about previous post, I'm a little bored here at work so I've gone a bit crazy.

Changing a cpu is simple. There is no soldering involved, infact if there was then there would probably be a lot less computers being built by humans. XD
I just happened to have my camera at work and seeing as I'm bored I'll do a guide. :P

Here is a typical socket478 motherboard and cpu with heatsink etc.

You unclip the thingies on the top that lever the heatsink down.

And use a screwdriver to lever off the 4 clips on either side that hold the heatsink on.

Then you just pull the heatsink directly upwards and off. With most socket cpu's, if the seal between the heatsink and cpu is really strong then the cpu will come off with the heatsink and be stuck to it. To lever it off the heatsink, use some kind of strong plastic lever cause anything metal can damage the edge of the cpu and that can kill it.

The one I did, I had already pulled off earlier so the cpu stayed in the socket.
Nowadays all the Intel cpu's are LGA775 so the pin's are actually on the motherboard and the cpu gets held into it with a little metal cover thing like this:

But anyway for this one you just pull the lever up and the cpu can be lifted out with ease.

If you're replacing the chip then you'll probably be using a new heatsink as well and you don't have to worry about re-applying any heat compound but if you are using a 2nd hand cpu and re-using the heatsink. You should always clean off the old heat compound.

I just used a few tissues and rubbed it until it came off.

Apply new heat compound

You don't need much, just a thin layer to cover the top of the cpu without it oozing over the sides. It's just there to fill in the gaps that you can't see and to form a tighter bond between the cpu and the heatsink so the heat transfers as best possible.

The cpu is never perfectly flat, the corners are always lower but as long as the majority of the cpu is covered, especially the very middle which is where all the heat will come from, it will be fine.

Laptop motherboards can have similar sockets, some have levers and some have these little things that you twist with a screwdriver and it allows the cpu to come out.
I happened to have one in my stash of old crap.

All the AMD cpu's still have pins so they're similar to the socket 478.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 03:37:49 AM by ebc »

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1143 on: August 23, 2007, 05:05:56 AM »
btw, is it more difficult to do it on a laptop comp?
Quote from: ebc
Changing a cpu is simple. There is no soldering involved, infact if there was then there would probably be a lot less computers being built by humans. XD
For most laptops its different, because of the space constraints they are either soldered to the motherboard or just not that easy to reach because of all the other things mounted around it.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1144 on: August 23, 2007, 05:18:56 AM »
For most laptops its different, because of the space constraints they are either soldered to the motherboard or just not that easy to reach because of all the other things mounted around it.
It would be more like SOME laptops, not MOST laptops.
Take any basic laptop nowdays, they all use the same motherboard and have the ability to change the CPU easily.
This lowers the production cost and allows system builders to use different cpu's on similar model laptops.

The only devices that I can think of that would use embedded cpu's are pda's and other micro computers.
Show me a recent laptop with an embedded cpu and it will be a first for me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 05:20:57 AM by ebc »

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1145 on: August 23, 2007, 05:25:36 AM »
It would be more like SOME laptops, not MOST laptops.
Take any basic laptop nowdays, they all use the same motherboard and have the ability to change the CPU easily.
This lowers the production cost and allows system builders to use different cpu's on similar model laptops.

The only devices that I can think of that would use embedded cpu's are pda's and other micro computers.
Show me a recent laptop with an embedded cpu and it will be a first for me.
I do think this has change the last year or so yes, I was surprised that my HP tx1020 has a replacable CPU. But if that CPU is mounted under other parts (e.g. not exposed by a simple to remove cover on the bottom for example) it will be easy on the designers but still problamatic for non professionals to replace because of having to 'dismantel' the laptop first.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1146 on: August 23, 2007, 11:13:23 AM »
thanks for all the info from u guys.  i kinda understand it,  maybe.... i guess i'll have to experience it for myself in order to truly get the point,  i think it's gonna be fun.

but onto another problem i'd been having. first my wireless router is said to have an indoor range of 100 meters or 328ft.  but for some reason one of the comp in my house is getting a no or low signal internet connection.  i know that's it's within probably 100ft, so i should've gotten a connection, other comp that have about the same distance also is getting a good signal, just don't know why this one doesn't. i have a thought that it's the problem might be the usb adapter, and if it is so, i'm prepared to buy a new usb adapter, but i just don't want to buy one and it still won't work.

...i wonder if something else could be causing it.  would other electronics device or something could be blocking the internet signal?

i would like to have some advice and ideas from others, in the meantime i should conduct some experiments.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1147 on: August 23, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »
Try and get a wireless adapter with an antenna. You really need to have an antenna to get a good signal.

The 100m's thing is just for marketing, chances are you can get a signal past 100m's if you're in direct line of site to the access point but no one ever is. There is always walls etc. which decrease the signal strength and even in an house you can have no signal if you're in a room on the opposite end or on a different floor because the signal just isn't strong enough and you don't have an antenna to pick up more of the signal.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1148 on: August 25, 2007, 02:32:59 PM »
thanks i'll try to get one with an antenna then.  i was gonna buy another network adapter anyway, and i think i know just what to get. 

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1149 on: August 25, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »
Just got our VerizonFIOS service yesterday, and everything is great with the exception of two problems.

1) Very few Counter-strike servers will load when I search them on the browser in steam, but if I connect to by manually putting in the IP then it works.  If I set the browser settings to CS and pinging less than 50, it would show 300+ servers when I was using road runner (brighthouse), and now it only shows 2-3, and only about 10 under 100 ping even though it's far from the truth.

2).  JPOPsuki will no longer load.  The RSS feed hangs at "Live Bookmark Loading" and I get a "The connection has timed out" error when I go to the website.  I asked a friend of mine who also goes there and he said it was loading just fine for him.  If it was some sorta setting in the router then you'd think it would affect more than just one website out of the 20+ I go to regularly.  I've also tried a different browser and a different computer on the same network as well with no results.

Any ideas? The server browser I can live without, but I get about 10+ shows off of JPOPsuki every week.  :cry:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:26:25 PM by LaJon »

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1150 on: August 26, 2007, 05:02:46 AM »
What are your pings like to local sites, not CS but just websites in general?

Try rebooting all your network hardware and try jpopsuki again, also take away any unnecessary links or devices in the network to help troubleshoot.
You could be unlucky enough to have some kind of faulty device even though most sites work ok, the fault is similar to friend of mine had where yahoo wouldn't load or it was extremely slow even though other sites were ok. The problem was solved after rebooting her router though.

Try "ping jpopsuki.com -l 64000" and see if any packets time out.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 05:06:04 AM by ebc »

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1151 on: August 26, 2007, 10:06:53 AM »
Try "ping jpopsuki.com -l 64000" and see if any packets time out.

Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% Loss)

Also, there are times when websites will suddenly take a lot longer to load, or even sometimes timeout completely like JPOPsuki.  But after a few seconds it goes back to normal. I'll try rebooting the router and seeing what they does.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:08:57 AM by LaJon »

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1152 on: August 26, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »
Just a thought, but have you tried using their backup page??
http://mullemeck.serveftp.org:8080/jps_beta/?page=browse
I read that a lot of the people who couldn't access their main page, could access that..

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1153 on: August 26, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »
Just a thought, but have you tried using their backup page??
http://mullemeck.serveftp.org:8080/jps_beta/?page=browse
I read that a lot of the people who couldn't access their main page, could access that..

That link gives me the same error.  Reseting my router didn't do anything either.  You'd think it'd be something on the router though since I get the same error when accessing JPOPsuki from any computer in the house, but a guess a reset didn't air out the problem.  Stupid VerizonFIOS :'(

Do I actually need a particular port open that might be blocked when going to JPOPsuki?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:34:34 AM by LaJon »

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1154 on: August 26, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »
Can you tell me more about the setup? like what is the brand and model of the router etc. or any other devices that you're using.

I've just been reading on this site about a typical installion setup and that they supply you with a Dlink router.
http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

That's possibly where the problem is, you could try updating the firmware. Otherwise try plugging the connection from the box outside directly into your computer instead of going through the router and see if you can get to jpopsuki.com
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:53:07 AM by ebc »

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1155 on: August 26, 2007, 10:53:34 AM »
^ Had a quick look at the JPS forum, and some people (using Rogers) say they are forced to use a proxy because their ISP has blocked JPS, so maybe your ISP is doing the same.

Also, if you want to ping the address, it's mullemeck.serveftp.org  jpopsuki.com is hosted elsewhere.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1156 on: August 26, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
Can you tell me more about the setup? like what is the brand and model of the router etc. or any other devices that you're using.

I've just been reading on this site about a typical installion setup and that they supply you with a Dlink router.
http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

That's possibly where the problem is, you could try updating the firmware. Otherwise try plugging the connection from the box outside directly into your computer instead of going through the router and see if you can get to jpopsuki.com

The router they've installed FIOS with is an Actiontec M1424WR (Wireless Broadband Router).  I'm hardwired directly into the router since the hub is in my room, and the other two computers in the house are connected to it wirelessly.

^ Had a quick look at the JPS forum, and some people (using Rogers) say they are forced to use a proxy because their ISP has blocked JPS, so maybe your ISP is doing the same.

Also, if you want to ping the address, it's mullemeck.serveftp.org  jpopsuki.com is hosted elsewhere.

Still got 4x Request Timed Out when pinging mullemeck.serveftp.org.  Wonder why places like isoHunt, PirateBay, or Mininova wouldn't be blocked but JPS is, if that's the case.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1157 on: August 26, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »
Yeah I'm really not sure why they'd block it either, infact you could really call techsupport and ask them if it is possibly blocked, there's no reason for it to be.

You should give them a call and tell them about the random times when sites don't load as well.

One more thing to try, can you ping 85.17.58.22 or 65.98.8.121 which are the jpopsuki ip's, if you can ping them then it might just be a dns problem. If you can't ping them then I'm really not sure. If you can, ask a friend if you can borrow their router and see if it still has the problem.

Actually, can you ping anything? like what's your ping to google.com?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:39:15 AM by ebc »

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1158 on: August 26, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »
Yeah I'm really not sure why they'd block it either, infact you could really call techsupport and ask them if it is possibly blocked, there's no reason for it to be.

You should give them a call and tell them about the random times when sites don't load as well.

One more thing to try, can you ping 85.17.58.22 or 65.98.8.121 which are the jpopsuki ip's, if you can ping them then it might just be a dns problem. If you can't ping them then I'm really not sure. If you can, ask a friend if you can borrow their router and see if it still has the problem.

Same deal.  I went out and find one of those web proxies that you can use to get around filters at work/school and such, and I was able to get to JPOPsuki using that.  Doing a google search, I was able to see forum posts on JPS about other people using Verizon and also having JPS blocked.  Soooooooo lame x_x

As for Steam and server browsing, what do you guys think that would be?  There are plenty of servers that I can ping very well to, but they don't show up on the server list if I search for servers with less than 50 ping.  I can only get a few servers with less than 100 ping to even show up on the search, but if I go out and find the servers that I regularly go to that show up on the list, they ping 15-30 and I can still connect to them. o_O
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:41:46 AM by LaJon »

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1159 on: August 26, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »
I went out and find one of those web proxies that you can use to get around filters at work/school and such, and I was able to get to JPOPsuki using that.  Doing a google search, I was able to see forum posts on JPS about other people using Verizon and also having JPS blocked.

Here's a quote from the JPS Admin..
Quote from: mulux May 2005
Here's what I know about verizon users:

Earlier, they only blocked port 80. Then I set up a mirror port, 8080. They obviously noticed this and are now blocking both the tracker port (7531) and both www ports (80 and 8080). However, the DNS still resolve to the correct IP address (212.181.39.39 as we speak). I know some other ISP blocked the DNS, if that was the case, AuroraGB's suggestion about adding the mapping for mullemeck.serveftp.org would probably work (unless they really blocked the IP as well, but if you're able to ping it, the didn't).

Anyway, you should still be able to use a proxy both for the web, forum and the tracker! The tracker communicates with the client through regular HTTP requests, so what you need is a BitTorrent-client capable of connecting through a proxy! I'm not sure what clients support this, but I'm pretty sure Azureus does.

Looks like it has been a problem for Verizon users for some years..

:note: That IP address keeps changing, so don't bother..

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Sexy Love