JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Miss A - Come Tonight

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 483444 times)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1240 on: October 06, 2007, 09:54:23 AM »
My PC can't display Japanese characters, I get squares on screen instead. Is there some sort of add-on I could download to fix this?

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1241 on: October 06, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »
^ on Windows XP (English): Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages tab. Make sure the check box before "Install files for East Asian languages" is checked. A Windows XP CD is required for the additional files to be installed.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1242 on: October 06, 2007, 04:40:31 PM »
I also recommend downloading the Japanese IME from Microsoft's site in case you want to be able to input characters yourself.

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1243 on: October 06, 2007, 05:41:25 PM »
The Japanese IME is included with Windows XP and can be installed with the instructions I provided above.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1244 on: October 06, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »
It was a little different on this computer but I found it. It works perfectly, thanks!  :)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1245 on: October 10, 2007, 02:42:46 AM »
I just installed the October 9 Windows Security Updates.

I can no longer connect to the internet through my router. I can connect fine when my PC is directly connected to the modem, but not when it's connected to the modem through the router.

It worked fine before the update and the problem appeared when I rebooted to install the updates.

Suggestions?

Offline Genesis

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1246 on: October 10, 2007, 04:11:04 AM »
Was it on XP? I haven't gotten any updates today, but I shall be wary of them if they pop-up.

If you go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, you can see all the Windows updates sorted by the dates they were installed. From there, you can get a link to Microsoft's site and see in detail what the update did.

Sorry I can't be of much more help. Also, if you know how to setup your home network, I suggest physically resetting the router to factory settings (via the pinhole reset button on the hardware) and try setting up the network again from scratch.

I just checked my Add/Remove Programs and the last update I got was on 8/29.

EDIT: lol... not a minute since posting this, and I get the pop-up for new updates :lol:
IE6 Security Update (KB939653)
Outlook Express Security Update (KB941202)
XP Security Update (KB933729)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)

so here I am, trying to decide to install these or not XD

EDIT2: after reading frblckstr1's post below, I decided to install all the updates and so far everything looks good =D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:15:44 AM by Genesis »

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1247 on: October 10, 2007, 05:16:21 AM »
^ I have just installed without problems (on two machines).

@Asmodai : it might be unrelated to the patches, but just to the reboot. Maybe the router doesn't like something (new ip number?)
You can try to uninstall via the control panel as Genesis suggest, or try the system restore point created before updates where applied (update makes one every time unless you disabled that)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 05:17:51 AM by frblckstr1 »

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1248 on: October 13, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
I have a lil problem which just surfaced today.

My comp is pausing, freezing, hanging, whatever you might want to call it.
Its very random, and can last, say, 3 to 8 seconds, thats just a guess, though.
It just started this today, and I as recently as a few days ago went thru a reformat and re-install.

Now, I already did a spyware and virus scan with clean results, but the pausing my comp was doing made the scans take longer than they should've taken.
I also ran a checkdisc on my C drive, and the results were good, nothing wrong there.

After the reboot, I did have a pause once again, but while doing this post I didn't have any pauses.
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this lil problem.

Edit:

Ok, its possible that my probs might have been related to a driver issue with a new ide controller card I got recently.
It kept popping up in my event log, so I updated the driver and will monitor my event log.
Here's really hoping that was the problem.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 08:35:58 PM by L-san »
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1249 on: October 14, 2007, 05:34:44 AM »
^ Bad drivers can have strange effects, if the 'pause' is mainly during disk activity its very probable you have the culprit.
Other cause can be loose cables/heat but assuming your 'reformat' did not involve changing hardware that will probably not be it.

(I hate rebuilding machines, I keep putting off updating my desktop...)

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #1250 on: October 14, 2007, 07:16:46 AM »
The idea of using my planned dream machine as a BT leach box is now at risk....

This is just the first month of using Comcast cable broadband 8 Mbps in Chicago, and I just got a call today (4 Oct) from the Comcast abuse guy warning of potential account termination for 12 months.

He told me that they do an audit monthly, and that over the past month I had downloaded 500GB, which puts me in the top .1% of Comcast's 12 million customers and the target for a warning phone call. He said that this was the reason he couldn't give me a specific number for how large the limit is - because the usage of the top .1% changes every month (presumably goes up).

On a slightly unrelated point, he also said that I was using over 300x more bandwidth than the average user, which means that the average user only downloads about 1.7GB a month. Given that even a 56k modem user could, if saturating a phone line 24/7, dowload about 18GB a month, it seems that most average users are massively underutilizing their bandwidth.  BT via dialup, anyone?  :lol:  Unfortunately, Comcast is the only broadband provider in my building, so I'll have to figure out some way to deal with this.

Since they do their audit once a month, would canceling my service near the end of each month (before they do their audit) and then restarting my service after the first week of the next month (after they've given their monthly warning calls) solve the problem?

They lied to you, basically.  The guy says he wasn't even using 50gb, and people down the block got the same message, so ".001%" is a little inaccurate.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 07:21:49 AM by Masabi »
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1251 on: October 15, 2007, 02:41:07 AM »
Anyone output PC media to TV?  My folks have a Vizio 1080p LCD and we got some problems on watching stuff on VLC and Media Player Classic.  The connection is a DVI-to-HDMI adapter.  The Windows desktop displays OK (albeit stretched from 4:3 to 16:9) but anything played by the VLC media player displays nothing but a black screen (Tried watching the 1080i Music Fair program).  Is there some software setting that needs to be tweaked? 

Offline Genesis

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1252 on: October 15, 2007, 03:12:27 AM »
Try using a no overlay setting. In MPC, it's under Options, Playback, Output. Either of the VMR9 choices should work. Don't use VMR7 (renderless), it'll eat up all of your CPU usage.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #1253 on: October 15, 2007, 03:13:58 AM »
Anyone output PC media to TV?  My folks have a Vizio 1080p LCD and we got some problems on watching stuff on VLC and Media Player Classic.  The connection is a DVI-to-HDMI adapter.  The Windows desktop displays OK (albeit stretched from 4:3 to 16:9) but anything played by the VLC media player displays nothing but a black screen (Tried watching the 1080i Music Fair program).  Is there some software setting that needs to be tweaked? 
What kind of graphics card are you using? basically the problem is that the video is using hardware overlay which will only output to one display at a time unless it is told to overlay itself onto the secondary screen as well. This can be done in your graphics adapater's control panel. Usually you can get to it via display properties > settings > advanced button. Then there'll be a tab which is different from the others, and it will depend on which graphics card you have as to what is written on it but you should see it. Once you have found it, look for anything to do with video overlay and I guess just change whatever settings are listed here to see if you can get it working.

The other way is if you are running the TV as the secondary monitor. Try changing it to the primary one by going to display properties > settings and then ticking the box that enables it to be primary. This will then move the start bar and icons over to the tv but you will be able to watch videos properly.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1254 on: October 15, 2007, 05:24:17 AM »
Anyone output PC media to TV? 

I'm running my LCD TV as 'secondary monitor' from my laptop via VGA to DVI (@1280x720)

The other way is if you are running the TV as the secondary monitor. Try changing it to the primary one by going to display properties > settings and then ticking the box that enables it to be primary. This will then move the start bar and icons over to the tv but you will be able to watch videos properly.
I set it to be the left display (drag and drop it in the display settings).
This way MCE (Vista's version) runs on it, but I still have the taskbar and icons on the main display.
The only think to consider is turning on the TV before the laptop otherwise Vista in combination with the nVidia adapter has the 'nice' habbit of moving it to right display position (making MCE appear on the laptop screen).

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1255 on: October 16, 2007, 02:59:23 AM »
Thanks all for the responses!  I'll try tweak the settings in those places.

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #1256 on: October 16, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
I just installed the October 9 Windows Security Updates.

I can no longer connect to the internet through my router. I can connect fine when my PC is directly connected to the modem, but not when it's connected to the modem through the router.

It worked fine before the update and the problem appeared when I rebooted to install the updates.

Suggestions?

I have the same problem! my notebook can't connect to the internet using my office's wireless router after that october 9 update :( I tried uninstalling it but no luck...

the weird thing is that It shows me as connected to the router, and I can ping the router, and even external site! (I tried pinging yahoo, google and wiki) but I just can't seem to access the internet.

if anyone knows how to fix it It would be great! thanks...

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1257 on: October 17, 2007, 08:11:40 AM »
Can someone teach me how to rip chapters of DVDs using 'vStrip'?

I totally forgot how (and keep getting this 'not authenticated' error, even though my DVD isn't a bootleg)...  :(

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1258 on: October 17, 2007, 08:27:56 AM »
^
The 'not authenticated' problem can be solved by first playing the DVD with a software player.

For chapter ripping I personaly use two programs depending on the situation. For DVD files on the HD I use vStrip GUI, for a DVD or mounted ISO I use DVD Decrypter. Guides and software cat be found at Doom9. The split option for vStrip GUI is on the "3 Output" tab. For DVD Decrypter see the settings window on the "IFO Mode" tab.

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #1259 on: October 17, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »
Can someone teach me how to rip chapters of DVDs using 'vStrip'?

I totally forgot how (and keep getting this 'not authenticated' error, even though my DVD isn't a bootleg)...  :(

Meh, I would suggest using DVDDecrypter, a lot easier.  (though it only rips vobs)
The artist formerly known as Gray.

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Miss A - Come Tonight