JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Sennichikou

Author Topic: General Japanese Movie Thread  (Read 62528 times)

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: General Japanese Movie Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »
Latest watch was another oldie, this one a Teruo Ishii film from 1960, Yellow Line. The murder of the chief official of Kobe city's Customs triggers an investigation of a prostitution ring called the 'Yellow Line' that sells Japanese women. A hired assasin is betrayed by his organization, and kidnaps a woman who happens to be the girlfriend of a newspaper reporter. :panic:

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2011, 05:24:01 PM »
The funeral was recently held for veteran actor Muga Takewaki (67) who passed away in August. 
A brief annoucement from Aug 22 Kyodo News:

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/08/110196.html

Actor Muga Takewaki dies at 67
TOKYO, Aug. 22, Kyodo

Actor Muga Takewaki, who appeared in numerous films and television dramas, died of a cerebellar hemorrhage Sunday, his family said Monday. He was 67.

Takewaki starred in movies such as ''Ankotsubaki wa Koi no Hana'' (Anko Camelia Is a Flower of Love) and ''Sanshiro Sugata'' after he debuted as a movie actor in 1960 when still a high school student.

He became popular for his portrayal of intelligent characters and also appeared in plays and TV dramas including ''Daikon no Hana'' (The Radish Flower) and ''Ooka Echizen.''

Takewaki had suffered from depression since around 1993 and spent some time in hospital. He had published a journal and given lectures on his eight-year battle with the illness

And this clip posted by vnknidiakatsu:

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
^^ I remember him well in the Golden Bowl drama, played such cool and suave guy. 8)
Latest watch, another Kobayashi classic. :panic:

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:19 PM »
Classic is not a strong enough word to describe this watch, :? truly one of the best of it's genre whether it's horror or sci-fi... plus it had Kumi Mizuno who would be a starlet in any era. :thumbsup

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2011, 05:23:17 AM »
Yoshino san, you have posted some great films from the 60's and 70's, including the Alleycat Rock series, many of them directed by Yasuharu Hasebe (長谷部安春), and starring Meiko Kaji (梶 芽衣子). I have been trying to get more information about a 60's/70's girl group, known as Golden Half (ゴールデンハーフ) and apparently they appeared in Stray Cat Rock: Sex Hunter (I sure would not want to get on the bad side of Mako):

stray cat rock sex hunter {With thanks to ondori01}

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:57 AM »
ondori01 has also posted this clip from  Stray Cat Rock: Sex Hunter, with Golden Half performing 恋人がほしいの/koibito ga hoshiino ("I Want a Lover")

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »
^^ I've watched the first 4 Stray Cats movies 5+ times each and the first one has had at least 10 views, can't get enough of them.  8)2 Have those on DVD but don't have the 5th one yet, my purpose in life will not be fulfilled until I get that last one. :sweatdrop:
Posted some of the trailers for the series in a different thread but here they all are again.
Stray Cat Rock 1, also with Wada Akiko- http://www.mediafire.com/?4x2fwl3j3y9321k
SCR 2, Wild Jumbo- http://www.mediafire.com/?ygzfs2bkvhgfuj9
SCR 3, Sex Hunter- http://www.mediafire.com/?aul2euh545996c2
SCR 4, Machine Animal- http://www.mediafire.com/?4nuedap84v8361z
SCR 5, Beat '71- http://www.mediafire.com/?3c8wib0b29bteg9

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »
Muppet brought up the fact that Hasebe directed most the Stray Cat movies but he did many other fantastic films, such as this one with Kobayashi....

....and the final Female Prisoner Scorpion film that Meiko starred in..... nobody messes with Nami! :panic:

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
Last watch, one of Masumura's best films, he also directed Black Test Car, Red Angel and Double Suicide of Sonezaki. :)
Giants and Toys 1958

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2011, 04:59:39 AM »
Have mentioned Kumi Mizuno :thumbsup in a couple recent posts, perhaps by today's standards she doesn't look real hot but by the 60's standards she certainly was, :yep: john2000 has put together a Kumi tribute on YT from her various movies set to music, let him describe it:
Here are two Japanese songs performed by the famous jazz singers Chiemi Eri and Ryoko Moriyama, chosen to illustrate the beauty of Japanese cult actress Kumi Mizuno (in Japanese 水野 久美).

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2011, 03:51:05 AM »
Just viewed this and what a fantastic film this is, you laugh and cry, but mainly cry though in a good way too though it can be a bit sad, it's films like this which makes their film industry so much better than any other country, hard to recommend a movie more than this one..... Little DJ :twothumbs

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2011, 04:13:19 AM »
Yoshino san, yeah, that was a really fine film. Ryunosuke Kamiki was brilliiant, and Mayuko Fukoda was adorable. Have to say though, the top performance was turned in by the late Yoshio Harada- the film would not have been the same without Harada playing that part. Ryoko Hirosue had a very small part, but of course, she played it perfectly.
Besides the dramatic story line, and fine acting, the oldies music was another big feature of this film.

Now on a related note, The Daily Yomiuri's Makota Fukuda has just written another great feature article for the DYWEEKEND section, an interview with Ryunosuke:

Finding his voice / Child actor Kamiki is all grown up, ready for more
There was a time when Ryunosuke Kamiki was known as "that cute child actor." Even now, many people's image of him probably comes from movies like Yokai Daisenso (The Great Yokai War). But that little boy is already 18 years old.

In Toaru Hikushi eno Tsuioku (Recollections of a certain pilot), which premiered Oct. 1, he voices a role older than he is, marking an important step in his growth as an actor. Recently, Kamiki spoke candidly to The Yomiuri Shimbun about his thoughts on his career.

The first time I saw "Kamiki-kun" in the flesh was in November 2004 at NTV's Shiodome headquarters in Tokyo for the premier of Howl's Moving Castle. He was just the cutest thing as he tried to cut the tape, a true angel. Audiences were enthralled with Kamiki in his touching role on the TBS Sunday drama Aikurushii (So lovely) and as the lively main character of NTV's Tantei Gakuen Q (Detective school Q).

"The other day, a junior high school student said to me, 'You've really gotten big.' People's opinions of me seem to have been put on pause a while ago," said Kamiki with a wry laugh. "It's not that I want to erase any of their memories, but I want to carve a new image on top of that."........

The rest is here: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/T111011000619.htm

and there is a small sidebar:  http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/T111013004940.htm

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2011, 04:20:51 AM »
^^ Forgot to mention Harada, he surely is missed, he's been in too many films and dramas to mention but always set a standard in them which most others have no chance of attaining. Too many films of his to post but this is the best he's been in. :thumbsup

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2011, 04:25:11 AM »
Glad Muppet mentioned Mayuko Fukoda too, :thumbsup she is the most talented actress less than 20 right now, no one is even in her league. Watched this film mainly for Rena but have to admit Mayuko stole the show. :)

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
Some shots of Mayuko from the Little DJ movie which I really praised above, it really does deserve it, even Ryunosuke Kamiki who can be quite annoying at times was quite good. Mayuko is young but is creeping up in age now, she's 17 and has done so, so many things so far, some may also remember her from playing the young Momoko in the Kamikaze Girls film, if she's not the biggest star in Japan in a few years, then, then.... :( :cry: :angry: :panic:

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
KAASAN, MOM'S LIFE
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2011, 12:14:10 AM »
Went to see "Mainichi Kaasan" yesterday at our lil'l film festival. Good drama, surprising to see Kyonkyon paired with her ex-husband, Nagase Masatoshi.

I think Koizumi Kyoko has replaced Tanaka Yoshiko as "Japan's Mom."

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2011, 02:56:53 AM »
Every Kotani film is worth seeing, hasn't done a real lot of them which is a shame but concentrates more on the quality of them either as a director or writer. :thumbsup Seen Eri in quite a few things, she's always a top notch actress and too underrated.

On October 20th, director Mitani Koki, actress Fukatsu Eri, and comedian Kinoshita Takayuki attended the special screening of their movie “Suteki na Kanashibari” at New York City’s Academy Theater at Lighthouse International.

Mitani first went to New York with his movie “Radio no Jikan: Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald” (1997). His fame grew when his “TALK LIKE SINGING” became the first original Japanese musical to be performed at Off-Broadway in 2009. Fans  urged him to come back to New York to introduce his latest work, “Suteki na Kanashibari”.

More than 1,500 people tried to get a ticket for one of 200 seats at the Academy Theater and watch the movie with English subtitles. After the screening, the three stars went on stage and greeted the audience. Adorably, Mitani said in English, “Can you guys understand my English? I don’t even know what I’m saying myself.”

Mitani also prepared a short script for Fukatsu for the stage greeting, who delivered the lines perfectly. She said, “Since my childhood I’ve loved American movies. The movie that made me want to become an actress was ‘Planet of the Apes‘,” causing everyone in the theatre to laugh.

A fan wanted to know how Mitani was able to get so many wonderful actors for his works all the time, and he proudly replied, “It’s all thanks to my personal virtue.”

It was a fun and memorable event for fans of Mitani and Japanese cinema in general. Everyone also seems to have enjoyed the movie in every extent. One female fan commented with sparkling eyes, “It was such a lovely movie! I love all of the characters.” A male fan added, “It was a wonderful movie! He always creates such different worlds with plenty of layers overlapping each other, and, in the end, makes them become one. That moment, that magic, is just so deep.”

“Suteki na Kanashibari” will open in theatres in Japan on October 29th.

Eiga.com

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2011, 03:41:27 AM »
Talking about Kotani in the above post ^^ and how good he is, here's probably his best known movie, Uchoten Hotel, which really is a must watch, one of the most incredible casts ever. 8)

And his follow up to that movie, sort of flew under the radar but it really is a minor classic with another collection of actors, The Magic Hour. :)

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
First of all, I am stone cold in love with Eri Fukatsu- from the JR CM she did years ago, and ever since, she has had me mesmerized.

...."A fan wanted to know how Mitani was able to get so many wonderful actors for his works all the time, and he proudly replied, “It’s all thanks to my personal virtue.”...."
The cast lists are incredible in his movies......and notice all the repeat performers.....he was joking around in his comment above, but when you see top talents continuing to work with a director, it is a testament to his abilities.

okay, muppet is beginning to get that holiday feeling, so here is a very young Eri, in probably one of the most memorable Japanese CM's ever:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:21:02 PM by muppet »

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »
^^ Now that's an oldie. 8)
Hardly ever use the word 'spunky' but that seems to suit her quite well, :yep: she's really a top notch actress and quite a looker too, she's the only thing which made Bayside Shakedown somewhat bearable. :( Had heard of this film but didn't know much about it, she's in it along with an A+ cast, think this needs a watch ASAP! :panic:

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Sennichikou