JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Hadashi no Megami

Author Topic: The Official Rap Thread  (Read 671748 times)

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
Re: The Official Rap Thread
« Reply #940 on: July 26, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
Check it out, Rhymefest is doing promos for comic book stores!

"First Aid" Comics Store Commercial!

I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #941 on: July 26, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #942 on: July 28, 2009, 07:35:43 AM »

Hell yeah! Criminology 2 and G-hide are out :thumbsup

Jay Electronica: Dear Moleskine. (prod. by Just Blaze)

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #943 on: July 28, 2009, 07:50:04 AM »
^ Damn, Jay is expanding his horizons, kicking it in other parts of the world

Damn Pac, if you are gonna go in dissing dudes, use a better beat please

http://usershare.net/slkpaqy5kekn

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #944 on: July 28, 2009, 09:17:13 AM »
Jay Elec is one of the very few new MCs who have potential to drop a classic. That Dear Moleskine snippet sounds fucking amazing :yep:

Just Blaze ain't the first producer to use that sample tho:
De La Soul-Sunshine

Offline TheNorthFace

« Reply #945 on: July 29, 2009, 05:13:10 AM »
New LP just dropped by Chicago rapper/producer Jay Who?  the follow up to his debut last year "Where Da Sidewalk Ends"....free for download!!

You can download at www.jaywhoshow.com for FREE!!!

Tracklist

Jay Who?-The Light In da'Addict (2009)

01) The Theme Song
02) Scene One-The Text Message
03) U Need Help
04) Doin’ My Numbers
05) Scene Two-Blame It On Da Alcohol
06) Jazmine Cashmere
07) Phenomenon
08) Jheri’s Kids
09) Breathe Easy
10) Scene Three-The Precinct
11) The Rehab
12) Anne McMahon
13) Scene Four- Guess Who’s Bizack
14) The Addict
15) Gals Around The World
16) Scene Five-At It Again
17) Get Em Out
18) The Understanding
19) Scene Six-The Last Straw
20) The Hangover
21) The Best
22) The Light

Jay Who?-Where Da Sidewalk Ends "(2008)

You can download at http://jaywhoshow.com/album/where-da-sidewalk-ends

1. Intro
 2. The Name Drop
 3. In High School
 4. James Skit
 5. I Bring It
 6. The Little Bus Skit
 7. Bullet
 8. Supa Ho
 9. James Skit 2
10. Without Me   
11. The Little Bus Skit 2
12. Second Life
13. Tootie
14. Anymore
15. Computer Luv 2
16. W.N.I.G Interview
17. Apollo Kreed
18. Where Da Sidewalk Ends
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:19:49 AM by TheNorthFace »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #946 on: July 29, 2009, 06:27:46 AM »
New LP just dropped by Chicago rapper/producer Jay Who?  the follow up to his debut last year "Where Da Sidewalk Ends"....free for download!!
:welcome
Mad props! I'm bumpin' "Where Da Sidewalk Ends" right now and I gotta say that it's pretty tight. I'll def play a few Jay tracks on HiP HoP Hizzy this weekend :yep:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #949 on: July 29, 2009, 10:49:29 PM »

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #950 on: July 30, 2009, 05:43:04 AM »
Marvel Vs Capcom @ mixtape

full tracklist

1.  “Superheroes” by Planet Asia and DJ Toure
2.  “Number One” by Havoc and Nyce
3.  “Terrorize” by Raekwon and Ohno
4. “The Remainder is One” by Random, Blaze Rock and Storyville
5. “Reinforcements” by DJ Qbert
6. “Take U 4 A Ryde” by Talib Kweli and Ohno
7. “Battle Drum” by Hieroglyphics
8. “Fight the Good Fight” by The Grouch and Eligh
9. “They Don’t Make ‘Em Like They Used To” by E40 and DroopE
10. “Power Up” by MC Supernatural

Planet Asia & DJ Toure - Superheroes video
MvC2 MixTape: "Superheroes" by Planet Asia and DJ Toure

Mixtape should be out real soon!
word.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #951 on: July 30, 2009, 06:42:23 AM »
^ As we wait for that mixtape (Funny since im more excited about the mixtape than the actual game  :lol:) I got 2 mixtapes for everyone to check out.

All credits go to illroots.com

Where The Streets Have No Name

http://ksalaamandbeatnick.bandcamp.com/album/beatnick-k-salaam-where-the-streets-have-no-name

Broken Headphones

http://www.zshare.net/download/633162846a2b0d63/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #952 on: July 30, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »
Pre-order Cuban Linx 2! :pimp:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Built-Cuban-Linx-Pt/dp/tracks/B002I639UC/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1
http://www.amazon.com/Only-Built-Cuban-Linx-Vol/dp/B002GZQZX8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248849652&sr=8-6

Interview: Raekwon on Only Built for Cuban Linx II, Auto-Tune, J Dilla, and the Future of Rap

In the 5000 or so days since Raekwon released Only Built for Cuban Linx, long considered one of the greatest of all solo Wu-Tang albums, the Chef has kept busy, releasing two critically chastised solo albums, a few more joints with Wu-Tang, and a whole bunch of guest appearances on records. But the one project he could never quite pop off was Cuban Linx II. Raekwon has worked on the album for four years and, from the beginning, the sequel to his masterpiece has been plagued by label mix-ups, last minute release-date changes, and erratic executive producers (both Dr. Dre and Busta Rhymes--who still appear on the album in smaller roles--were assigned, at some point, to this top position, only to drop out later on). The anticipation has grown and, well, we're still waiting. Apparently not for long, though, as the album has been tagged with another, supposedly final, release date--September 8th. Chef Raekwon, with a crew of some of the most talented names in hip-hop that includes Ghostface Killah, Jadakiss, Pete Rock, and Dr. Dre, will finally deliver Cuban Linx's follow up via Raekwon's own Ice Water Inc., in conjunction with EMI.

We'll believe it when we see it. Despite the record's impending release, the album is still about as difficult to get a hold of as a white whale. Everyone involved in the project is working overtime to prevent Cuban Linx II from leaking, but it's finished, and it can be heard--only after a great amount of ass kissing--and we did so last week (so at least we know it exists...). The sequel pulls a Godfather Part II, building on the original with a bigger, more menacing sound. There's also perhaps the most disturbing description of a blowjob ever (courtesy of Ghostface Killah of course). After weeks of persistent phone tag, meetings with managers, publicists, Raekwon's brother, the assistants of the mangaers, publicists, and Raekwon's brother, and two trips to the Fortress of Solitude that is EMI, we caught up with Raekwon on the phone to talk about the late great J Dilla, Auto-Tune, and the future of hip-hop. You, too, can listen to Raekwon wax poetic tonight at the 92Y, where he'll be appearing with HOT97's Peter Rosenberg to discuss his life, his influences, and his legacy.

It's been almost 15 years since the original Cuban Linx came out.

Ain't that some shit, right?

Yeah. What made you decide to record a sequel to that album?

Basically the fans. This is something that they've requested for so long. It just felt like time to show people that they could get what they want from me, you know? The first album that I did--it felt good to go back. I didn't know when I was gonna be able to do it and it took a lot, man. It wasn't no easy road.

Cuban Linx II has been several years in the making. You've been working on it for four years?

I would say three years 'cause I took one year to deal with the Wu-Tang project.

How did you know when it was finally finished and ready to be released? That's a long time to work on one album.

I just kinda knew. When you're used to making records and making albums, I kind of knew how many joints I wanted to have on there, but we gave the fans a little bit extra. We figured how long they waited, they needed to get something extra.

When the original came out it was heralded as a dark masterpiece. Cuban Linx II feels even darker than the original.

Yeah I can agree with that. That's good that you think that because I do feel like this is a more hardcore album. This is a more gritty album because I wanted to get back to my roots, for real. Just being an MC, just somebody that can really focus on making hip-hop. It's been a long time since we actually heard a real hip-hop album that's not a hip-hop R&B collaboration. I really wanted to go back to the basics.

It's true. Hip-hop is arguably in a much bleaker state than when the original Cuban Linx came out.

Absolutely. No matter how much commercial success is wanted right now, I could not make Cuban Linx with that kind of vibe. It wouldn't have fit with the criteria of what the album meant for me the first time and what the album is. When we made the first one, I wasn't worried about commercial success. I was more or less worried about MC respect and being able to be played by some of the hip-hop peers in the game. I knew that everyone would respect what I was about if that's how I felt about MCing. I didn't really want to take this album on a journey where it's a radio album or whatever. In my heart it wouldn't have felt like Cuban Linx II. That was the main thing, just make another classic album.

I just feel like right now, hip-hop is at a stage where everybody just wants to party. My thing is, I like partying, but at the same time I still want to be creative and keep a legacy alive with making classic music. I think every MC should really take time out to craft his ability to be an emcee again. Everybody's not captivated by money or glamour or even the power--people want to see creativity. We've been missing that a long time. Right now it's about hip-hop, man. It's about us certain people that still aren't afraid to go to work and make beats and quality music. Just for me, I know I get tired of fucking hearing the same format from everybody. Everybody is just so captivated with commercial music because that's all we hear on the radio.

It's true. Jay-Z makes a big deal out of the fact that he's making an album without Auto-Tune on it. And it's kind of frightening that that has to be an issue at all. Cuban Linx II doesn't have any Auto-Tune on it.

Number one, I can never really see myself going all the way there like that. One thing about Wu-Tang, we're so unpredictable it would really be hard for us to ever go fully commercial or mainstream. Auto-Tune to me was something that I felt was an experiment--it works for a couple of artists, but then, everybody took that as being a new sound. It's like alright, that's what it's all about now? That's the only way you get on the radio, if you have an Auto-Tuned record? Wow, hip-hop has really changed, you know?

I really liked seeing J Dilla's name on this project as a producer.

[laughs]. Yeah J Dilla. God bless his soul man, and his family. To have him so much involved, that was just an honor. He deserves every piece of respect that he gets in the game. I'm just glad that I had the opportunity to work with him. His family and his fans know that he was definitely appreciated by Raekwon.

How did his involvement in the album come about?

He got into it because a good friend of mine in the industry, Busta Rhymes. Basically him and Busta had a great rapport with one another. And Busta knew that he had something up his sleeve for Wu-Tang. When me and Busta were able to get together he would talk highly about J Dilla and he said that, you know, he wants to work with you. I felt like that was worth checking out. Next thing you know, when I heard him I was like, wow. This is like a slipper for Cinderella. It was the perfect fit. That to me was definitely one of the highlights of making II. I felt like he deserved that shot, and I was just fortunate to be able to catch him at the right time. I was blown away. It's one thing for me to know that I got peers that kind of know what the Wu-Tang is about and what we like and our basic style of music, but I never felt that there would be a producer that would actually hit everything on the head so much.

You've worked with a lot of great producers on this album. Dr. Dre, Alchemist, Pete Rock...

I look at it like, men I respect coming together for a strong album that we all believe in. Even though it was competition at its hardest with all the producers. Everybody wanted to come in and outdo the next man. Everybody had a lot of concern about Cuban Linx II. Me being a fan of the producers that came in--I felt that that would make II even more exciting--to really challenge RZA's production from the early nineties. I mean these are some of my favorite producers in the world. You sit back and you think of legendary Marley Marl from the early eighties getting it in. You've got Pete Rock, which is a straight hip-hop legend. It's just like, wow--all these people that I looked up to when I first wanted to be in the rap business. It felt good to get that kind of support from some of these dudes.

I want to ask one more question about Cuban Linx. The cover of II is a mirror image of the original, but the stove is missing.

[laughs] He said the stove is missing! You know, you gotta wait 'til you see the album. You'd be surprised. When you're checking the inside sleeve you may get what you want. [laughs]. Really that's how you feel? You miss the stove?

Yeah that's the only thing missing.

Thank you sir. You know, I'm constantly surrounded by critics--of my work, and at the same time of everything that's going on in hip-hop. I've never seen so many people so into an album that was made 15 years ago. It just bugs me out. I listen to some of the fans' comments on the internet--which is the new marketing tool for hip-hop--I read the blogs, I see people on the street everyday, I go to different countries, and everybody is just so...wanting to see what the hell is going on with this. You've got some fans that wanna stick up for me and say, "Rae's still got it!" And you got some that say, "Nah he'll never beat that album!" It makes me laugh that people are so overwhelmed with this project. I've never seen that happen before. People really cling on to that music. This is for you guys. I'm just glad you like the food.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/archives/2009/07/interview_raekw.php

^ A little late on that video are we Masa?
I knew that video looked familiar XD

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #953 on: July 30, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
Raekwon The Chef @ Rosenberg's Noisemakers Session

IT'S ON MOTHERFUCKERS! CUBAN LINX! :theking

Noisemakers with Peter Rosenberg + Raekwon / audio
http://grandgood.com/2009/07/30/noisemakers-with-peter-rosenberg-raekwon-audio/

Raekwon - House Of Flying Daggers (LQ rip)
http://sharebee.com/dc511464

Instrumental
http://sharebee.com/98c08111

HOLY FUCK! HOFD might be the song of the year :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

RZA To Release his second book The Tao Of Wu

Wu-Tang’s RZA is set to deliver his second book after 2005's Wu-Tang Manual, which was an introduction to the philosophy and history of Hip-Hop's original Dynasty, the Wu-Tang Clan. The new book entitled The Tao of Wu, details RZA's own personal journey to enlightenment. By utilizing Hip-Hop lyrics, autobiographical anecdotes, and parables, the RZA explains how he was simultaneously inspired by Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Bruce Lee, and Islam.

The Abbott frames his philosophy under seven “Pillars of Wisdom,” which represent seven “key turning points in his life” that he hopes to impart on his readers. The number 7 is symbolic in itself, representing consciousness in numerology, and considered a divine number in several faiths such as Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. According to the text’s publisher Riverhead Books, The Tao of Wu is a deeper reflection on the brief philosophical glimpses read in 2004’s The Wu-Tang Manual.'The Tao of Wu' is set for release on October 20th.
http://www.wutang-corp.com/news/article.php?id=794

:huhuh :lol:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:33:55 PM by Masa »

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #954 on: July 31, 2009, 05:14:25 AM »
Eminem responds of Mariah & Nick  :shocked

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6340271625c510b2/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #955 on: July 31, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »
The wolves are back! :theking

Raekwon - House Of Flying Daggers (Prod. J Dilla)

Raekwon - House Of Flying Daggers feat. Inspectah Deck, Ghostface & Method Man (radio rip)
http://sharebee.com/cfaa31f1

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! Cuban Linx 2 will single-handedly save hip hop :yep:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:10:42 AM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #956 on: July 31, 2009, 09:00:36 AM »
SHIT!! Em and Meth be spitting darts. SOLDIERS IN THE FRONT!!

Anyone catch RZA Live? http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1610968

DAMN!! RZA Cancelled Edmonton Show. Going to Rock Da Bells in Calgary!! But I ain't mad. There will be another time!! STILL RZA Special This week on HiP HoP Hizzy. :banghead:

7-29 Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theatre
7-30 Seattle, WA - Neumos
7-31 Bellingham, WA - The Nightlight
8-2 Whistler, BC - Garfinkels
8-3 Edmonton, AB - Edmonton Event Centre
8-5 Salt Lake City, UT - Urban Lounge

WU-TANG!

Still....it's like GOD is telling me to spend more time with :hipheart: and keep the Legacy of My Fallen Brothers alive.  O0

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #957 on: July 31, 2009, 09:03:03 AM »
Wu Tang legend GZA

Ghostface on His Upcoming Crack-Free, Wizard of Oz-Inspired R&B Album

Ghostface Killah said hello to the world with the very first verse on the very first Wu-Tang album, became a god to rap nerds with Supreme Clientele, and reached an all-time critical peak with the dope-dealing sagas on 2006's Fishscale. Next up is a bit of a curveball — September’s The Wizard of Poetry will be an R&B-heavy affair, featuring collaborations with the likes of Raheem DeVaughn, Estelle, and John Legend. Ahead of his show at the Nokia Theater tonight, Ghost chatted with Vulture about mellowing out, rapping at seventy, and the appropriate way to sing about crack-slinging on an R&B album.

What does the title Wizard of Poetry mean to you?
It was a title I had since I did the Pretty Toney album, and I just wanted to do something that had meaning with it. I wanted to base it around The Wizard of Oz. I was passing the chuckle patches and all that stuff like that, doing everything till I got to the Emerald City, and meeting the person that was like God, you know what I mean? That’s what I was gonna do: Fall asleep where the chuckle patches was at, under a tree or something, and here go these skits, and they laughing and all this shit. I could have been dreaming, or whatever the case may be. But things had to change cause I couldn’t take the same likeness of that movie and put it on my album cause then it’s gonna cause a problem. But I still kept the Wizard of Poetry and Emerald City.

Did you know that the Wizard of Poetry would be an R&B album when you first thought up the title?
No, no, no. When I first thought Wizard of Poetry, I just thought, I’m just gonna write a bunch of ill stories however I wrote it. But it would just be poetry — you know, ill, ill shit. But I always wanted to do an R&B album, and that’s how it came in.

Was anyone in your camp trying to dissuade you from doing that?
No, not really. I was gonna do it anyway. But there wasn’t nobody, like, saying nah. My manager was like, "Do half and half," this and that, "You'll lose your fan base." I’m not into it for my fan base right now. I did that for my fan base for like a bunch of my albums. I gotta do what I want to do for myself right now. What’s gonna make me happy.

You’ve also said a part of doing an R&B album is that, as you get older, you can’t rap about the same type of stuff you used to.
Yeah, I mean, don’t get me wrong, I still will do that on other tracks, but this album right here is an R&B album. You can’t talk about slinging crack on an R&B album. Unless you get caught — it depends on how you say it — and your girl is gonna leave you, and she never came back, cause you were doing whatever you were doing.

But in general, is getting old in hip hop something that worries you?
I’ma definitely be old in hip hop. I’m not gonna be on the road. But this is a mental thing. You can write music till you seventy. This is a hobby, B. Muthafuckas always act like they retiring and don’t go nowhere. You know what it is, man. You can’t get away from it, B. You don’t think Michael Jordan wants to pick up the ball sometimes? But that’s what it is. That’s why a boxer always keep coming back, like Muhammad Ali, until he just kept getting his ass beat. Until you realize, I just ain’t got it no more.

Do you worry about that happening to you?
I mean, yeah, you always worry about it. But that’s what makes you great. It keeps you on your toes. The muthfaucka that thinks that he’s not falling off, his darts start coming more weaker. Once you worry about it, and hope that this don’t happen, then you’re guaranteed to be around for a long time. Cause you’re always trying to be on point.

You also mentioned that the album was partially motivated by the fact that you haven’t’ shot anyone since the nineties. No need to get into to much detail, but can you talk about that particular incident?
Oh, nah, I ain’t talking about that, B. This n**** wanna talk about a shooting I said in the early nineties. What’s wrong with this n****? [Laughs] Nah, n****. You wilin’ and shit. Nah, nah.

Okay, moving on. This is your last album on Def Jam — are you already looking towards the next step in your career?
I don’t know. The way the game is right now, even going independent is still fucking everything up. Everything is just fucked up in the game. So I don’t know what to really do. I just know to do my work, and that’s it.

Is the joint album with DOOM next?
I’m waiting for DOOM to get back at me, so we can fix it up. I gave him all my parts. I’m just waiting for him to fix it all up.

How do you manage to stay consistent, when so many of your peers take so long between albums?
That’s just working. My shit is, at least try to drop an album once a year. Or, if not, within a year and a half. And that’s it. As far as putting music out, my shit is, once you’re gone for two and three years, then you seem to lose the people. It’s like you selling crack or weed on the block, and you fuck around. They used to copping from you, but then you leave. Even if you left for a fucking a day, they gonna go to somebody else. They still gonna be checking for you, but they gonna go to somebody else. And once they get used to going to somebody else to get their weed — and it might be better than yours or just as good — they not gonna need you no more. Cause they gonna go see the other person they made a bond with.

Definitely. What’s your schedule like when you’re in the studio?
My hours is any time, B. When you got rap music, you could work right now till six o’clock in the morning. You got your own hours. And a lot of hours is late-night hours. A little bit of daytime, then you go back at night, and you catch what you can catch — get up in the morning, listen to what you were writing. “Oh shit, I wrote that?” Then connect a couple of lines on that, and that’s how it goes. Just connect the lines, and before you know it, you got like, six, seven songs, son. And it’s like, oh shit. It makes you want to keep on going.

You still write with pen and paper?
Yeah, of course. Definitely. I wish I could do the other way, but I can’t do that shit. But that don’t mean nothing. Muthafuckas act like they don’t write, they ain’t making no real hits.

You’re one of the most critically acclaimed contemporary rappers. Do you read your reviews?
I don’t really read it a lot and stuff like that, dog. I go by what people tell me. I just take it how it is. But I didn’t really get a chance to really show to my best ability. I haven’t really went in in a long, long, long time, I think that my future is gonna tell where my hand is at, you understand what I’m saying? Within the next couple of years, its gonna tell where I really stand. Right now, I made a name for myself but the future is gonna be the good days.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/07/ghostface_on_his_upcoming_crac.html

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #958 on: July 31, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
House of Flying Daggers (Clean CDQ)
http://sharebee.com/4267a9cd

Rae & Mef murder that shit! :theking

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+