JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Double - U ~KREVA REMIX~ featuring KICK THE CAN CREW

Author Topic: The Rock Music Thread  (Read 28189 times)

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Rock Music Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2007, 12:28:57 AM »
wtf I didn't know Nickelback was on Roadrunner.:lol: I always got Atreyu songs stuck in my head whenever I heard them. I saw them, Underoath and someone else once when I went to see God Forbid. That was the first time I had been to one of those shows with all those little kids and their damn spin kicks.:P

I forget what started it, but recently I've felt like listening to Biohazard a lot lately. I saw them live a couple years ago. One of my favorite shows.

Punishment
[youtube=425,350]Rsj6WECUNH8[/youtube]

Tales from the Hard Side
[youtube=425,350]7M7oxKNZm5o[/youtube]

Could find uncensored ones.:(

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
:lol: I was one of those kids with the spin kicks >_>

Atreyu's first full-length is actually what got me into heavier music :lol: and the only show of their's I've been to was one of my favorites so they hold some sentimental value to me(they were also a band that helped me break the ice with a certain girl I had a huge crush on in high school >_>). But even that couldn't save the shit that is their latest stuff. I knew they were going towards that direction since their second album as they had some really catchy riffs and stuff, but I didn't expect the third one to be so mainstream... They sorta went the direction of Avenged Sevenfold, but atleast Avenged's latest stuff is pretty good... (I sorta consider those two bands to be brother bands or something since they are actually pretty similar in history and influence)

I personally hate biohazard's music (and pretty much most rapcore bands) :lol:

I recently got into this Electronica/post-hardcore band called Idiot Pilot. They have a preview of the their new album in their forum but you have to solve some kind of password from some hints they gave. :lol: It's pretty interesting if you like puzzles, you don't even have to like the band XD

http://idiotpilot.proboards107.com/

One of their songs is featured on the Transformers Soundtrack, which is a pretty nice track.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 09:46:46 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline Sexykago

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Punk/Ska/Indie/Emo/Hardcore Thread
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2007, 03:43:06 PM »
Rock on.  My favorite thing in life is to go into Tokyo and catch my indie punk/ska/emo/Irish-style friends put on a kick-ass show in a small club.  At the punk shows, most everyone just ignores the "buy 1 drink from the bar for 500 yen each" rule and they just go to the conbini and bring in tons of canned alcohol, which they often give me for free. :D   It's a great community, full of unity and fun.  

My one regret is that some of these bands I often see are SO DAMN GOOD, but they'll probably never break out and accomplish anything of note. :cry:

But one of the bands I follow, The Cherry Coke$, is getting a bit of coverage recently.  They actually got a place on the "Rookie A Go Go!" stage at the Fuji Rock Festival (though it starts at 12 a.m.), and they'll be opening up for The Suicide Machines when they come and tour Japan at the beginning of October.

Rock on.

kev
Oh heck friggin yes! Nice to actually find a fellow Cherry Coke$ fan!

Wow...that all sounds so awesome. :shocked: When I go to Japan I'm definitely gonna check out some punk shows!
There's no way I'm gonna go without seeing a Nitro Mega Prayer or Cherry Coke$ show!

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2007, 05:58:31 AM »
You can't really go wrong with a Japanese Irish Blue-grass Punk band XD  They seriously have to be some crazy drunks to think of that :lol:

Nitro Mega Prayer has an annoying vocalist, he screams in this high pitched squeal without any regard for musical keys :lol: It wouldn't be that annoying if he didn't scream every phrase the same way. They have some pretty cool songs though.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »
Just noticed Between the Buried and Me posted some footage from the recording sessions of their new album, Colors, on their site.

[youtube=425,350]uREa-9o2ylE[/youtube]

Crazy. Lol @ end image... xD

Ooh, I can hardly wait. Out Sep 18th.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2007, 12:44:05 AM »
saw that a while back, I thought I posted it here already...

but man I'm really excited about this, sept. 18 still looks so far away T_T

Kurt Russell XD

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2007, 10:25:49 PM »
I noticed I never mentioned another one of my most anticipated albums coming out soon.

One of my favorite modern rock bands of all time, Thrice, are releasing their concept album in a couple months. It's called The Alchemy Index, and will come in four volumes, of "the four elements" Water, Fire, Wind, and Earth. Water and Fire will be released together on October 16, and the other two later on. It's going to be written and produced completely by the band themselves in their homes

They've been keeping a blog about it for a while
http://alchemyindex.com/

and here's their myspace to check out their stuff from the past couple years
http://www.myspace.com/thrice

I've been following them for about 5 or so years and probably one of the only bands from that time I still listen to regularly. :lol: It's really amazing how their songs changed from pop punk to hardcore/metal to now progressive rock mixed with just about everything. I strongly believe that they are The Beatles of this generation.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 03:28:12 PM »
Colors has leaked! And it sounds fucking insaaaane!  :w00t:

What a day, new Rin Toshite and now this. Gotta cling on to my sanity.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
:O

I must get!

Speaking of BTBAM, their guitarist is making a tab book for the album! Not like most guitar players would actually be able to play it all though >_>

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 09:42:38 PM »
WHITE WAAAAAAAAALLS!

Man, the album's better than Alaska. And with every fucking music style thrown in the mix. Nuts. White Walls is the stand-out, my fave track of the year fo sure.

Today was a great day musically, damn. I'll hook you up with the album if it's not around publics yet.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2007, 01:56:19 AM »
HOLY SHIT!!!

I have no idea what I was just listening to...

White Walls is like decades of metal put into one track... amazing...

The whole album just blew my mind... you'd think I'd have a bunch to say, but wow...

The surprise track for me was "Prequel to the Sequel" the most epic under 10 minute song I've ever heard.

They weren't joking when they said there was blue grass and polka in the album XD

Wow. maybe I'll write more once I get my mind put back together.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2007, 08:21:11 AM »
There's no way getting around it: Colors is the album of the year, perhaps more.

BTBAM shift into so many directions, the grind element is less prevalent, and this is music at it's finest... powerful, delicate, grim, raw, beautiful, ever-changing, flowing, epic. Tracks like Mordecai and Selkies from the previous albums were just precursors to this style they've now perfected.

This is their Magnum Opus that sets a new standard of excellence. I can't get over how good this album is from start to finish. :_)

I wonder who the guest vocalist on Prequel is... someone said it's Jared Leto, but I don't know if he was just kidding. xD

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »
XD Jared Leto. It does sorta sound like him though, but I don't think he can pull those vocals off.

I looked around a little and someone said it was either Adam of Fear Before the March of Flames, he's the guitarist.

http://www.purevolume.com/FearBeforeTheMarchOfFlames/

I used to listen to them, but not much in the last couple years. It sounds possible though

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2008, 04:20:13 AM »
Major BUMPAGE!!!

It's a pretty old album, but I'm listening to Coheed and Cambria's The End Chapter IV for the first time today, and I have to say this album is awesome.

So different from the album before it, but still got the sound Coheed and Cambria fans are used to. Definately their best stuff ever. They took the sound that they've been developing for the past few 5 or so years and refined it. I really can't see how they can top this album without completely changing their sound :lol:

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2008, 07:08:38 AM »
ANOTHER BUMPAGE!

Another album from last year.

I first listened to Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album a few days and I loved it. They were always a band that I wasn't too sure if I really liked since around the time their second album was released a few years ago. Their first major label release was good but it was a far departure from their previous punk-metal and I wasn't sure what to think of it.

But I have to say this album really impressed me, especially since they self-produced the whole thing. There was just a whole lot of genres thrown in but had this American hard rock sound mixed with awesome metalcore riffage. "Lost" and "A Little Piece of Heaven" were definately the stand out tracks, with the latter having heavy Danny Elfman influences, probably partly because they actually used instrumentalists from his orchestra :lol: "Lost" had awesome dueling guitar, catchy hooks and melodies, and bad ass solos, without ever going over the top like other bands :roll:

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2008, 02:54:23 AM »
:lol: bump again.

I recently dled the new Sounds of Animals Fighting album. It's supposed to be released in a couple weeks.

I really liked their E.P. when it came out a few years ago, but I hated the second album, too experimental for my tastes.

But I love their new album. Considering it's a side project from a bunch of people out of the American indie/emo scene who never actually collectively came together in the studio, it is some damn good progressive indie rock. Though from listening to it I don't know if they did that this time. it's a little too good.

And also I usually automatically like everything Anthony Green is part of. So yeah...

can get it from this blog.

http://sirenssound.blogspot.com/2008/08/sound-of-animals-fighting-ocean-sun.html

and checkout the rest of the blog too if you're a fan of post-rock stuff.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:58:37 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
Thought this was the best place to post what I'm about to say. For me, the definitive rock album of this year, and perhaps slowly becoming one of my absolute favourites of all time, is 'Man vs Monster' by Fighting With Wire, a Foo Fighters-esque 3 piece band from Londonderry, N.Ireland. One review summed the album up nicely when it said it had huge guitar hooks capable to beach a sperm whale. The album has no filler in my eyes, with styles ranging from punk to the slightly more radio friendly tunes. I've included the video to 'Everyone Needs A Nemesis', perhaps their most iconic single from the album. If there's any justice, they're going to be huge.

[youtube=425,350]90Fwy-dxAxQ[/youtube]

http://www.myspace.com/fightingwithwire

Offline JDAckers

• Member+
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2008, 12:45:42 AM »
I know of Fighting with Wire, they are very similar to Biffy Clyro. I was going to see them at a festival, but I met up with some friends that were too lazy to walk over to a different stage -_-

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »
^ Your friends are idiots!! :lol:

I saw FWW on their current headline tour here in Belfast and they absolutely tore the fucking place apart. I met the frontman, Cahir, at the bar before they went on stage! Shook his hand and told him how excited I was to see them play and he give me a smile and told me he appreciated it. Top bloke.

And they're fantastic playing live. Lots of energy and Cahir's a great stage presence, interacting with the crowd. During the set he was talking about a gig review by the NME which wasn't at all flattering and he was saying that he saw FWW fans leaving negative feedback on the site and said that's fine to do that if you want, but at the end of the day it's one person's opinion so it doesn't really fucking matter. Then one guy from the crowd shouted 'FUCK NME!' and Cahir instantly went 'Aw no, don't fuck NME!' :lol: :lol:

He mentioned Biffy Clyro as well. Some guy in Dublin went up to them and told them you won't be as big as Biffy Clyro cause you don't have a ballad. :lol: So the drummer started playing some slow beats and Cahir gyrating about on stage like some pop star and he got up to the microphone to sing what looked like a new ballad song, then they just stopped playing and said 'You didn't really think we'd play a fucking ballad did you?' :lol: :lol: They're supporting Biffy Clyro on their headline tour, and I strongly suggest you go to see them. Sure the set will be shorter but if you like loud, fast, heavy rock then really you can't go wrong with FWW. When they opened up with 'My Armoury' I was so pumped up :rockon:

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »
Just noticed this thread.

I started with punk - The Offpring, Blink 182
Then I used to be into metal -  Kittie, Cradle of Filth, Morbid Angel, Slayer
My dad introduced me to his music: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Hendrix
Then I got into shred guitar: Yngwie Malmsteen, Dragonforce, Steve Vai
I also like bands such as - Garbage, Ash, Feeder

Now, I listen to all these things but Japanese artists like Ai Otsuka and Aya Hirano are #1!

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Double - U ~KREVA REMIX~ featuring KICK THE CAN CREW