JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Sexy Love

Author Topic: Deadly new flu virus in US and Mexico may go pandemic  (Read 10075 times)

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Deadly new flu virus in US and Mexico may go pandemic
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »
This is just another bird flu and SARS. Yes, it's something to worry about, but the news media is blowing it WILDLY out of proportion. What the news has only mentioned a few times in passing amidst the DANGER WE'RE ALL GOING TO FUCKING DIE RED ALERT ALL HANDS TO BATTLESTATIONS headlines is that the flu is perfectly treatable and not any more dangerous than contracting any other kind of flu. All you need to do is practice good hand washing and common sense and it'll be fine.

Though I must say, the Encyclopedia Dramatica article is one of the funniest yet. XD

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 11:54:25 PM »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »
This is just another bird flu and SARS. Yes, it's something to worry about, but the news media is blowing it WILDLY out of proportion. What the news has only mentioned a few times in passing amidst the DANGER WE'RE ALL GOING TO FUCKING DIE RED ALERT ALL HANDS TO BATTLESTATIONS headlines is that the flu is perfectly treatable and not any more dangerous than contracting any other kind of flu. All you need to do is practice good hand washing and common sense and it'll be fine.

I agree, it's a bit much, it's like 'SWINE FLU INFECTS THE GLOBE - FIND OUT HOW YOU'RE GOING TO DIE SHORTLY AFTER CATCHING IT (which you will) BUT MAKE SURE YOU BUY THIS PAPER FIRST'. Malaria kills little over a million each year yet it's not given the same coverage as this.

Facts are more people die from the normal flu than this one. I suppose the fear lies with how it could evolve into something stronger, maybe more easily transmissible. Then again it might not.

On a lighter note, I was on the train yesterday with a friend and he started sneezing uncontrollably and pretty violently. I wasn't fussed by it cause I've seen it before but I took a look around the carriage and there were people looking at him pretty intently and I just knew what they were thinking. I was tempted to ask 'So how was your trip to Mexico?' :lol:

Although I think I might have swine flu....I'm coming out in rashers :lol:

Might need some oinkment /rimshot :D

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 03:30:08 AM »
@iacus: I ALWAYS crack up at the cheesy lines before the theme song on CSI. :lol:

Just got a letter from school on Friday about how to avoid getting it/prevent spreading. There haven't been any outbreaks here but it's just a precaution. I was actually afraid that I had it for a while :lol: but my symptoms were different and I'm better now.

Offline zay05ohayou

• Flip..
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • shoubu shoubu PATII PATII~!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 08:30:58 AM »
just got back from LA yesterday.. the passengers behind us in the plane were suspected of having the flu..  XD

Ishiyoshi~ DEF.DIVA~ GAM~ hANGRY&ANGRY <33

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 04:11:04 PM »
HONG KONG, China (CNN) -- Hundreds of guests and staff were under quarantine at a hotel in China on Saturday after a guest there contracted the H1N1 virus.

About 200 hotel guests and 100 staff members were ordered to stay in the Metro Park Hotel in Hong Kong for seven days to stop the spread of the virus commonly known as swine flu, a government spokesman said.

The quarantine was ordered after a 25-year-old Mexican man stayed in the hotel and became sick. The man flew from Mexico to Shanghai on April 30 and then went to Hong Kong. He was taken to a hospital and tests confirmed that he had the virus, said York Chow, the secretary for food and health.

Chow said officials would isolate the hotel and that "relevant people" would be quarantined for seven days and treated with an anti-viral medication, commonly known as Tamiflu.

This was the first confirmed case of the virus in Hong Kong, local medical officials said.

The World Health Organization has also confirmed the case in Hong Kong. It is among the agency's 615 confirmed cases worldwide. None of the cases have been confirmed in mainland China.
South Korean officials on Saturday confirmed their first case -- a 51-year-old nun who recently traveled to Mexico for volunteer work. Several other countries were investigating hundreds of other probable cases of the virus.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
What I can't tolerate about this media exposure is that those who have caught it are getting named and shamed! They listed the name of one NHS worker here in the UK, how he caught the disease and even put his photograph up. If I were in that position, I'd be livid!

Offline Saikami

• W O N K Y F I E D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • TEAM AIBUTT
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »
^ Wow, they really did that? o_O In the US (or, at least, Maine from what I know) they don't give out names or pictures to the press, a week ago they wouldn't even tell us what town it was in until they closed a school.

But overall, yeah, people are making a huge deal out of this. I can understand for caution, but people are going a little bit overboard. XD;
[All hail AiButt! Sig by Dinny!]

Offline ichijoujirena

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 09:55:13 PM »
One family here in Texas was interviewed on the Today Show a while back. They all had masks on and shit and were all "We aren't quarantined but we haven't been able to go outside and hardly anyone can come in." Uhh..sounds like quarantined to me, lul. They didn't say names or anything, though.

Other than that, we only knew that the first two cases here were 2 high school kids..and the 2 year old that died was from Mexico. No names or pictures.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »
the media just want to sell, they don't fucking care about creating chaos...  :shilivid:

here a plane landed with a girl suspected of having the flu... poor girl but actually i was mad with this media saying that the plane shouldn't arrive ever  :angry: the girl was too sick on the plane and is like 3-4 hours until argentina, she could die... but of course they don't care  :thumbdown:

btw she was pork flu free

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
Swine flu is just a new strand of the flu. It's like having any other flu. You get it, you take care of yourself, you're immune, you go on with your life. Only real major difference is that there isn't a ready amount of antibiotics for a "break out." The only people who really have to worry are people with weak immune systems, and people who live in places with horrible health care or poor living situations.Though it is being blown out of proportion, it's still better than not doing enough until it's too late.

Some girl who lives at the dorms at my school got it an she's quarantined lol

And my sister is getting sick, so there's a small chance she got it. :lol:

A part of me hope to get it someday just so my there'll be one more thing I'm immune to.
I don't believe in anti-bacterial. :P

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 05:03:39 AM »
There are notices up at work and in my apartment building and lots of hand sanitizer aroud. At least the spread in Canada seems to have slowed now.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
The confirmed cases in Japan jumped from 9 to 96 today..
Most of those are in the Hyogo and Osaka areas, and all schools in those area have been told to close..

(is it wrong of me to hope it spreads to Nara, so then I don't have to go to work? )

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »
^you live in tenri? weird town with the tenrikyo thing but nice ppl though lol

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 12:18:51 AM »
First confimed case is in N.Ireland right now after flying over from England.

You must feel for the guy. Not only does he have swine flu, but he's gonna get blamed if anyone else from here contracts it :lol:

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 03:35:37 AM »
the media just want to sell, they don't fucking care about creating chaos...  :shilivid:

Yeah I agree.  Like today on the news they said that there were 14 new cases of swine flu in the UK bringing the total to 101.  So over the last few weeks we've had this grand total that's slowly risen by a few people every day.  What the stupid press don't say is that the other 87 people have taken medicine and are all feeling better and are recovering (some will have made a full recovery by now).

:shilivid:  (I love this graphic).

Oh and this...

Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Sexy Love