JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tokyo Jihen - Gunjou Biyori

Author Topic: How to Make an OPV  (Read 19069 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
How to Make an OPV
« on: April 20, 2005, 02:18:55 AM »
Check it out. This might be useful for any OPV wannabe makers (credit: kobefor3ITSGOOD):

Windows Movie Maker Tutorial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO MAKE A VIDEO WITH WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER

TUTORIAL BY kobefor3ITSGOOD

1. The first step of making a video is to import your clips, games, etc. into Windows Movie Maker. To do this, go to File --> Import Into Collections and select the file.

2. Do this repeatedly with all the clips that you would like to use.

3. You must now import a song to use with the video. Again, go to File --> Import Into Collections and select the song that you would like to use.

4. Click on Collections and select the song. Drag and drop the song into the beginning of the timeline (make sure you drop it right next to the audio/music row).

5. Go to Tools --> Audio Levels and move it all the way to audio/music (completely away from audio from video).

6. Click on Show Storyboard and go to the storyboard view.

7.Click on the name of the file you want to use. Select the section of the file you would like to use and cut it out. Do this by using the "split tool".

8. Now drag the part you would like to use into the first frame.

9. To add effects, just right click on the frame and go to Video Effects. Highlight and effect you would like to add and click on add to move it over to the right. You can use multiple effects on 1 clip. Then click OK. (Note: I strongly recommend that you do not use too many effects. Too many effects are bad and hurt people’s eyes.

10. Now repeat steps 7-9 and try to match the music to the clips the best you can. You can view your project by going to Play --> Play storyboard.

11. When you have finished your video, it is now time to export and share it online! Go to File-->Save Movie File. It will ask you where you want to save your movie to. Click my computer and then next. Select a filename and destination for your video. Select the quality that you would like to save. It will tell you an estimated file size of the file. Click OK.

12. Upload and share it!

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:27:18 PM »
Would appreciate it if someone could make a tutorial for other more Mac friendly programs XD; I've wanted to fiddle with video editing things for a while, but haven't had the patience to sit myself down and teach myself how to do it :/

Offline Minaro

• Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:01:52 AM »
thank you!

I support Hashimoto&Kanna romance!!
*I don't speak english ^^U

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:07:24 PM »
If anyone wants another user friendly program a lot like WMM but with more features, check out Uleads' VideoStudio 9.

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:58:36 AM »
I just noticed I have windows movie maker installed and I don't remember installing it.  Maybe it came with xp.

When editing, can you be accurate to within 1 frame or is it not that good?

Also I assume you can only save as wmv and not other filetypes?
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline meowchi

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 01:26:31 AM »
It comes with XP..

WMM editing is CRAP, you can only edit it every 7th of a second, which is why I reccommend VideoSTudio 9.. Same interface (user friendly) as WMM but with more features and better editing.

You can save to other types using WMM (.avi) but it won't be in synch with the audio. Which is why as I said before, don't use WMM unless you absolutely have to!

Another thing with WMM is that it constantly crashes specially when you have a ton of edits done.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 03:33:21 AM »
I remember using WMM for my first OPV. Man, was that a pain in the ASS! i could only add a clip and edit it a bit before WMM would crash. I got Sony Vegas from a friend, but that's like a professional program. I don't think I use most of the stuff in it, so I've been looking for a program that is simpler. In Ulead's VideoStudio, can you move clips wherever you want, or is it like WMM, where the clip is always put right after the previous clip?

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 04:02:04 AM »
That'd be great.. if WMM worked for me.. :(
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline SunshineSlayer

How to Make an OPV
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:37:04 AM »
Quote from: Yoake.no.Senshi
I remember using WMM for my first OPV. Man, was that a pain in the ASS! i could only add a clip and edit it a bit before WMM would crash. I got Sony Vegas from a friend, but that's like a professional program. I don't think I use most of the stuff in it, so I've been looking for a program that is simpler. In Ulead's VideoStudio, can you move clips wherever you want, or is it like WMM, where the clip is always put right after the previous clip?

Oh yes you can definitely move the clips wherever you want.  WMM is really pretty crappy if you want to make a GOOD OPV - there isn't a whole lot of freedom to edit.  I also use Ulead VideoStudio and it's very user friendly, but also of a more professional quality than WMM.

Offline meowchi

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 03:38:43 AM »
Question Sunshine: I haven't used VideoSTudio in a while so I don't remember, but can you import windows movie maker files into videostudio? I'm actually hoping to get Pinnacle Studio and I'm trying to figure out if windows movie maker project files are importable with other softwares..

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 01:42:12 AM »
:shock: when did I make a thread in The Geek?

VideoStudio 9 huh?? I am in the hunt for a decent, and small video editor. Guess I'll go back to Virtual Dub. :lol:

I've just got my hands on XP so I'm gonna try and play with WMM. I don't think I have enough memory to handle other programs.

The sports forum I check out (MixMakers.net) has a whole section on Sony Vegas (http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=977) - who uses that?

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 02:09:11 AM »
I use Sony Vegas, but the one I use is the really expensive one. I used it to make my Risa OPV and also for two more OPVs in the process(Which reminds me that I need to stop dickin' around with that and get back to work) I don't know how different it is from the one you linked to. I really like using Vegas, all of the stuff I do is pretty easy to do. I figured most of it out myself, and didn't really run into too many problems where I didn't know how to do something. MixMakers looks like they have some pretty good tutorials to help you out if you need it.

My biggest problem with WMM is placing clips in the timeline. When you put them in, you can't move them around, the program automaically puts the clip in the earliest spot available. Then once you do that, I remember having trouble trimming the clips down the way I wanted to. In Vegas, you can reposition a clip anywhere you want, which is great for when you want your clips to be in sync with the music. Another great thing in Vegas is the track system thing(I don't know the real name for it) It's just like having layers. If you have 2 layers with video, you can make the top layer transparent so you can see the video on the layer beneath(An example that comes to mind is the end of the 'Koko ni Iru ze' PV). There are also a lot more transitions and effects in Vegas, as well as a lot more options to change how they look(Speed of the transition, colors, how much of a certain effect is apllied, etc.)

I haven't gotten too deep into Vegas yet, but it does a hell of a lot more than WMM.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:11:39 AM by arun.yothin »

Offline 00HB

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 03:53:25 PM »
You know, there is After Effects, both to the MAC users and PC users.
It is a professional program of editting but its really easy to understand it's logic.
I can post some basic tutorials of After Effects, Premiere or Final Cut, if anyone is interested...
They are all pro, but to make a AMV or OPV they are relativelly simple to use, as you'll only have to know a few features of them.
I needed to put al least four letters... ¬¬'

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 05:16:47 PM »
^I've never tried After Effects before. Go ahead and post some tutorials up. I know I'd like to see how AE is. I like making OPVs a lot, so I'm looking for a good program(that's legit).

Offline 00HB

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 02:38:40 AM »
sure! I'll prepare it and (with some luck) post this as soon as i have it finished!
never done a tutorial before, so bare with some problems on it! >_<

Offline 00HB

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 03:14:48 PM »
You know... I'm very ashamed of myself....
I said you could use After Effects to do it but as I was creating the tutorial I faced a problem. After Effects do not suport AVI files...
Don't know if it's just my version or if it's a geral problem.
I do believe that is just mine, couse it would be reeeealy weird to have an edition program that do not suport AVI...
Anyway, I can still continue to produce the tutorial, but using .wmv files and you try at your place if it works with .avi.
You'll just have to wait a little longer to me get some wmv files to work.
Either way or another, AE says it can import avi, so I REALY expect to be a problem of my version only.
Sorry again! Hope my tutorial will help anyway....

Offline 00HB

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 07:14:37 PM »
The tutorial, finally!

Opening view. This is what you'll see when you open the program.
Some things you need to know:

Well, let's get this started!

this is where your OPV will be made:

composition -> new composition

"compositions" are like flash's "movie clips", As you'll see after,you can make many of them and put them one over another (but they don't loop ¬¬')

Need to be filled as you creat your composition:

Composition name: your OPV name
Frame rate: 18 is the usual to internet (29,97 is only if your're going to television)
With and Height: usualy 720x480 but you can change to fit your movie as you like
Duration: your music duration (my case is 2:59)

Offline 00HB

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 07:15:33 PM »

Let's get the movie and the music you want to use.

File -> import -> file (or "Ctrl+i")

look for your music and the videos your want to use

CAUTION: After Effects no not realy 'imports' the file to him. It only links them to the AE file. This way, if you somehow edit the original, it also will be edited in AE when you open it again. If you delete it or change the original file folder, the link will not be able to find it and you'll have to relink it in order to it work.
A good thing to do is, before you start working, make a backup folder with all the files you'll use in just one place. Only use files from this folder and you'll always know where it was.

Set the music and movies to your OPV by clicking and droping them in your stage (the black window) or under your timeline. If you do it on your stage you can choose the place. Under the timeline it will be centered.

then it will be a mather of cutting your film and placing it on the right instant, together with the music.

to see the wave form of your song, click on the litle triangle at left on it's name (under the timeline), then again on "audio" and on "waveform"

Offline 00HB

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 07:16:25 PM »

To cut a scene of your movie:
on your timeline, double click on the movie that you want to cut. It will open another window (over your stage). Don't worry, as you can see by the tabs on top, you not lost your cene, just opened another tab....
now you find (with it's own "reproduction head") the first frame of the scene you want to use.

When you already found the first frame of your scene, pres the "{" looking like button. You'll see that it crops everything before the scene (Again, don't worry. It doesn't really "crops" it. It just hide it, you can correct it as you want.)

Now search for the end of the scene you want to cut (again with it's own "reproduction head") and once you find it, press the "}" looking like button.
It crops everything after the scene.
you can close this tab now

from now on, you just have to set this scene you cropped on it's place, acording to the music.
to set it on the time you want, clic on the middle (not on the handlers) of the bar (in this case yellow) and drag it the the correct frame.
if you need another scene from the same movie, just drag the movie from the importation window to your composition again and repeat the precess.

Offline 00HB

• ecchi
  • Member+
How to Make an OPV
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »

Sound:
You already know how to see the waveform of the music but how can I hear it?
Set the reproduction head on the point of the music you want to preview.

Composition -> preview -> audio preview (here forward)
It will play the audio from where the reproduction head is forward.

Composition -> preview -> audio preview (work area)
Will play the audio from the begining on your composition.

OMG! the audio from my movie is playing together with my chosen music! o.O
don't panic! on the extreme left side of your timeline you can see one audio icon next to each item in your composition.
just desable the audios that you don't want. (usually all of them but the chosen music)

OK. Nice. But I want to see if everything is in order.
to preview everything (sound and video) you can do

Composition -> preview -> RAM preview

or you can click on the far right button under "Time Controls". The one that look like a "play" with 3 bars together.

If instead you click on the normal "play" button, you'll only preview your video (and it consumes A LOT of your RAM memory). Space bar works as well.

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tokyo Jihen - Gunjou Biyori