JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - Surrender

Author Topic: Official CFL Thread  (Read 92408 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: Official CFL Thread
« Reply #400 on: November 11, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
SHIT 1st quarter looked so good....ESKS WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED IN THE 2ND :tama-mad: the killah with Ricky Ray rushing for one spiking. Bring in MATT Nichols NOW!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #401 on: November 11, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »
FUCK. ambulance coming out for MAtt Nichols this is BAD.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #402 on: November 11, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
FUCK. ambulance coming out for MAtt Nichols this is BAD.
Fuck yeah, that way that foot was pointing...daaaaaaaaaaaamn.  :shocked:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #403 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »
Cool and CALM RICKY RAY!!  WHOA CONGRATS JAFFY!! ARGOS IN THE GREY CUP!

Hallsy YOU CALLED IT. They can't stop the running game. holy shit. just popped out of the endzone Great FINISH!! prolly gonna face the Lions unless Kevin Glenn goes BEAST MODE :lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #404 on: December 17, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »
Time for the CFL to say "Welcome Back" to an old friend.  :)

TIGER-CATS INTRODUCE AUSTIN AS TEAM'S HEAD COACH AND GM
THE CANADIAN PRESS | 12/17/2012 3:55:01 PM

HAMILTON, Ont. -- Kent Austin is returning to the CFL.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have hired Austin to be the club's head coach and head of the CFL team's football operations. The team announced the hiring on Monday.

Austin takes over as head coach from George Cortez, who was fired last week after compiling a 6-12 record in his first season with Hamilton.

The Ticats are also in need of a GM with incumbent Bob O'Billovich mulling over an offer to remain with the Hamilton franchise as a consultant.

Austin won a Grey Cup as the Saskatchewan Roughriders' head coach in 2007. He served as head coach of Cornell University last season.

"I am honoured to join the Hamilton Tiger-Cats organization," Austin said in a statement. "There are a lot of reasons to be excited about this opportunity, namely the strong ownership in place, a very passionate group of fans behind us and the chance for immediate success. I can't wait to begin working on our goal of bringing another Grey Cup championship to the city of Hamilton."

The 49-year-old Austin also won a Grey Cup in 2004 as the Toronto Argonauts offensive co-ordinator and earned championship rings as a player with Saskatchewan in 1989 and B.C. in '94.

He is one of only four CFL quarterbacks to pass for more than 6,000 yards in a single season, throwing for 6,225 yards in '92 with Saskatchewan.

Austin entered the coaching ranks in 2003 as a quarterback coach with the Ottawa Renegades. The following season he joined the Argos and helped the team capture the Grey Cup.

He was fired by the Argos in the 2006 season, reportedly in part for not fully utilizing running back Ricky Williams, who played that year in Toronto while under suspension by the NFL for violating its drug policy.

Austin resurfaced quickly, being hired as Saskatchewan's head coach for the 2007 season. He helped guide the Roughriders to a 23-19 Grey Cup win over Winnipeg at Rogers Centre, becoming the first head coach to win a championship with the same team he did so as a quarterback.

That earned Austin the CFL's coach of the year award that year.

On Jan. 16, 2008, Austin became the offensive co-ordinator at the University of Mississippi, his alma mater. Two years later, he accepted the head coaching job at Cornell University and is coming off a season where his team posted a 4-6 record.

Over three seasons at Cornell, Austin compiled an 11-19 record.

Austin takes over a Hamilton team that featured one of the CFL's top offences under Cortez, but with a struggling defence that contributed mightily to the Ticats missing the playoffs.

FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=411817

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #405 on: December 24, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »
CFL's Top 10 Hits of 2012 -
http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/82565

CFL's Top 10 Kick Return Touchdowns of 2012 -
http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/82561

:thumbsup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2013, 06:06:21 AM »
Schedule for the 2013 season is out!

http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2013/time_zone/0

Holy shit dai, our boys don't meet your boys until the second half of the season (week 12, to be exact).  :huhuh

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #407 on: May 08, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »
You know that they're close to finishing the new stadium when they start painting up the field. :thumbsup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »
Dafuq....seriously??  :smhid

REPORT: OTTAWA TEAM TO BE CALLED REDBLACKS; NAME, LOGO LEAKED
TSN Staff | 5/30/2013 8:26:41 PM

Ottawa's new CFL team reportedly has a name.

The team, which begins play in 2014, will be called the RedBlacks, according to a sports logo website. The name and logo leaked ahead of a June 8 ceremony planned to unveil both.

The team sent out a clarification press release in response to the online posting.

"I'm thrilled by the fact that there's so much advance interest in our team nickname and logo," said Jeff Hunt, President of the sports division of the football team's  parent company, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group.  "We've organized a spectacular fan event for the official unveiling and I'm looking forward to seeing our PRN holders (reserved season tickets) and their friends on June 8th.  I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment any further on the logo or nickname until then."

The RedBlacks was long rumoured to be the name of the team and was presented to focus groups in January along with four others. The other names presented were the Nationals, Rush, Voyageurs, and Raftsmen.

General manager Marcel Desjardins and the Ottawa franchise recently named Brock Sunderland the team's assistant GM.

Along with Desjardins, CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon, Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson, and CFL legends Russ Jackson and Tony Gabriel are expected to be at the unveiling in June.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=424313

Here's the article from the site that first published the leaked name/logos.
Ottawa CFL Team Will Be The RedBlacks; Logos Here
Written By: Chris Creamer | Thursday, May 30, 2013

The new Ottawa CFL team set to begin play in next year’s 2014 season will be known as the Ottawa RedBlacks according to recent trademark filings made by the ownership group.

Registered publicly with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office on May 21, 2013 the filings not only reveal the name the team will be using but also show the new logos the club will use in their inaugural CFL season.  The logos appearing in the registration are in greyscale, we’ve colourized them based on the obviously obvious colour scheme:

The main feature of the new logo, like the original Ottawa Rough Riders is a bold white ‘R’, the R is featured inside what’s described in the trademark filing as a circular saw blade – perhaps a nod to the history of logging in the Ottawa Valley during the 19th century.  Below the circular saw blade is the team name, the “Red” part in red, the “Blacks” part in black.

A french logo was also created, the logo remains the same but with the team name shown as Rouge et Noir instead:

Two wordmark logos were also registered:

The Ottawa CFL team plans on announcing their new name officially on June 8th.  The names they had been considering were Nationals, RedBlacks, Rush, Voyageurs, and Raftsmen.

Act surprised, I guess.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/05/30/ottawa-cfl-team-will-be-the-redblacks-logos-here/

I had heard rumors that, despite the fact that research had indicated that "RedBlacks" was not received well by local fans, the management had still been favoring/pushing for this name out of the 5 final choices that they had. Personally, I like the sound of "Ottawa Rush" better.

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2013, 06:56:23 AM »
Here is some photos i took at the New Winnipeg Blue Bombers Investors Group Field  :twothumbs

Old Winnipeg Blue Bombers Canad Inns Stadium

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:03:52 AM by Tom Green »

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #410 on: June 30, 2013, 04:08:37 AM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #411 on: August 02, 2013, 05:52:53 AM »
Dafuq?!?!?  :O

Bombers tab Goltz as #1 QB; Pierce relegated to backup
CFL.ca Staff
Posted: August 01, 2013 11:00 AM | Updated: August 01, 2013 05:34 PM

WINNIPEG -- One game is apparently all Tim Burke needed to see from Justin Goltz.

Thursday, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced that Goltz, 25, will be the team's starting quarterback for the remainder of the season. Incumbent Buck Pierce has been moved to No. 3 on the depth chart behind Max Hall and will assist offensive coordinator Gary Crowton in developing the young quarterbacks.

The announcement comes less than a week after Goltz made his first career start, a loss to the Calgary Stampeders that saw him throw for 194 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Pierce was sidelined with an abdominal injury that he suffered in Week 4.

CFL.ca columnist Bob Irving was at Bombers practice when Burke made the announcement.

Bob Irving's Twitter
Burke says buck reacted positively to the decision but he's not sure how he feels deep down inside
https://twitter.com/BobIrvingCJOB/statuses/362962815352446976

Goltz will now shift his attention towards what will be his second career start on Monday against Travis Lulay and the BC Lions.

"We just feel like we have a desire and a need to develop the quarterbacks for the future of the organization," head coach Tim Burke told reporters. "We want to have continuity with our offence and we feel like Justin will give us a better chance for week in and week out continuity.

"We just feel like he (Goltz) is performing right around the same level, maybe just slightly better than Buck is performing and feel like he's got a lot of upside potential. We just feel he can keep getting better week after week and we feel that's going to be the case with Max as well."
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cfl.ca/article/bombers-tab-goltz-as-1-qb-pierce-relegated-to-backup

And another bit of news that undoubtedly caught a few people off-guard.  :?
Alouettes dismiss Hawkins, Popp to take over
CFL.ca Staff
Posted: August 01, 2013 08:29 AM | Updated: August 01, 2013 03:35 PM

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Alouettes announced on Thursday that they have relieved Head Coach Dan Hawkins of his duties. Owner Bob Wetenhall has asked General Manager Jim Popp to assume the head-coaching role in addition to his other responsibilities.

"Jim is the person most responsible for the success we have had over all these years," explained Wetenhall.

"I feel confident that he is the best person to coach our team at this time and I am very appreciative of him being willing to make this additional contribution to our franchise. He has the respect of our players as well as mine."

Hired Feb. 19 in place of the departed Marc Trestman, Hawkins' short tenure as head coach in Montreal ends just five weeks into the 2013 season. During that span, the Alouettes were able to record just two wins.

The usually potent Montreal offence currently sits fourth in the league in points scored with 122, last in touchdowns, and most surprisingly last in net passing yards.

Quarterback Anthony Calvillo is on pace to record 3,726 passing yards, which would mark his lowest total since 2007, one year before Trestman arrived.

"It does come as a surprise to me in some ways, yet, there were some warning signs," said CFL.ca's Rick Moffat.

"A veteran team is sometimes tougher to get to buy in. Maybe Hawkins didn't come in with the same type of humility that Marc Trestman did in 2008. Maybe Dan Hawkins tried to remake this team too fast and too much," he added.

Popp takes over as head coach for the third time, having replaced Rod Rust in 2001 and Don Matthews in 2006. He stayed on in the same role in 2007, leading the Als to an 8-10 record.

In total, Popp has a 10-13 regular season record and a 1-3 playoff record as a head coach.

It was the team's only losing record since it returned to Montreal after a 10-year hiatus in 1996. Popp has been general manager all of that time.

It was the second time in a row Montreal hired a coach with no CFL experience.

At his press conference on Thursday afternoon, Popp announced that Senior Advisor to the Head Coach Doug Berry will take over the team's offence. Former offensive coordinator Mike Miller will remain with the team in a reduced role.

"I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Miller, Doug Berry and (Anthony Calvillo) to say 'Okay, let's make this right. We have too many weapons for us not to be tearing it up'."

As a result of Miller's reduced role, Anthony Calvillo will be a lot more involved in offensive play calling and strategy.

Popp also added that the team will have a new head coach, but did not specify when that would occur.

More to come...
FULL ARTICLE - http://www.cfl.ca/article/alouettes-dismiss-hawkins-popp-to-take-over

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #412 on: August 09, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »
Well, changes be happening in Bomberland.

Bombers dismiss Joe Mack; Miller replaces Buchko as CEO
Posted: August 08, 2013 11:00 AM | Updated: August 09, 2013 11:13 AM
CFL.ca Staff

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced today that they have dismissed General Manager Joe Mack of his duties.  The club also announced that Garth Buchko will no longer serve as CEO and will be replaced by Blue Bombers alumnus Wade Miller.

Mack was originally hired by the Bombers in January of 2010.  In 2011, Mack's Blue Bombers enjoyed their best season under his tenure, finishing in first place in the East and earning a berth in the Grey Cup vs. BC.  The Bombers missed the playoffs last season and were 21-39 during Mack's time at the helm.

Moving forward, one of Miller's most immediate tasks will be to hold discussions with both Assistant GM Kyle Walters and Head Coach Tim Burke to determine the critical next steps in football operations.

“Job one for me is football and all the hard work that will be required to strengthen our reputation and turn this organization into a competitive force whose traditions have long been such a critical part of the fabric of our community,” said Miller in a statement.

Miller, meanwhile, appeared in 167 career games over 11 seasons with Winnipeg after being selected in the fourth round of the 1995 CFL draft by the club. Twice an East Division all-star, Miller is the franchise leader in special-teams tackles with 184 and twice led the league in that category.

He wasted no time making hard decisions in his new role as it was his decision to relieve Mack of his duties.

"I'm not afraid to prove myself and let my results speak for myself,'' Miller told reporters. "I know the challenges that lie ahead, but I'm comfortable in growing a business and tackling everything that comes at me.''

More to come
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cfl.ca/article/bombers-dismiss-joe-mack-miller-replaces-buchko-as-ceo

Admittedly, a lot of (dissatisfied) Bomber fans have been calling for Mack to get fired for a couple of years, so other than the fact that they're doing this now instead of waiting until the off-season (on the slim chance that the team is able to turn it's luck around) this isn't a complete surprise.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #413 on: August 17, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »
Even though we're not even halfway through the season, I'm pretty much at the point where I'm betting that this season's going to be a wash for Peg Sheety's Blue and Gold. I want to be positive and believe that they can turn the rest of the year around, but it's hard to do that when they go into a game and suck more than a vacuum cleaner running non-stop.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
And less than an hour after getting their first home win ever at the new stadium, the Bombers announce that they've done what the previous GM (Joe Mack) refused/was too scared to do.....trade Buck Pierce.

Buono: 'Buck is a proven veteran quarterback'
Posted: September 08, 2013 08:00 PM
Updated: September 09, 2013 08:41 AM
CFL.ca Staff

WINNIPEG -- Less than two hours after defeating the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers completed a blockbuster trade, sending Buck Pierce to the BC Lions in exchange for Canadian receiver Akeem Foster.

"Buck has been a true warrior and a consummate professional during his time Winnipeg and we sincerely thank him for his four years of service to our organization,” said Acting General Manager, Kyle Walters.

“In Akeem, we are getting a veteran Canadian receiver who, at age 26, is still entering the prime of his career.  His presence immediately helps upgrade our non-import talent on our roster.”

Foster was selected by the BC Lions in the fourth round (24th overall) of the 2010 CFL Draft and became a mainstay in the Lions’ receiving corps over the next two seasons, recording 61 receptions for 949 yards and nine touchdowns in 32 starts.

Over the course of his career, Foster has dressed for 43 games and won a Grey Cup championship with the Lions in 2011, catching one pass for 12 yards in the victory.  His finest game came on September 2/11 when he hauled in eight passes for 144 yards and took home the league’s Canadian Player of the Week honours.

Pierce signed with the Blue Bombers in April of 2010 and made 31 starts over four seasons, completing 486 passes for 6,320 yards and 25 touchdowns against 31 interceptions.

“We are heading into a critical part of our schedule and we need to improve significantly as a football team,” said VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “Buck is a proven veteran quarterback, an accomplished starter and a leader who has taken his teams into the playoffs and to a championship game. He will also give us a needed veteran presence in support of Travis Lulay.”

FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cfl.ca/article/bombers-trade-pierce-to-lions-in-exchange-for-foster

It's a HELL of a ballsy move, considering how Buck is such a fan-favorite here.

EDIT:

Buck's thoughts on leaving the Bombers.
http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/89189

BC GM Wally Buono on what he feels Buck can bring to the Lions.
http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/89187
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:37:04 AM by JFC »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #415 on: September 28, 2013, 04:28:56 AM »
Fuckin' hell, this goes BEYOND being a shitshow. Right now the Bombers are playing so brutally, the only good thing they've got going is the Cheerleading team.
:angry:

On the bright side, at least what's left of the crowd here at Investor's Group Field is getting a chance to cheer for Buck Pierce again...as he plays on the opposing team.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #416 on: November 12, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Bombers dismiss Joe Mack; Miller replaces Buchko as CEO
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cfl.ca/article/bombers-dismiss-joe-mack-miller-replaces-buchko-as-ceo

Well, the Bombers decided that they might as well drop the "Acting" from his job title...

WADE MILLER NAMED PRESIDENT & CEO OF WINNIPEG FOOTBALL CLUB
Tuesday, November 12th, 2013

The Board of Directors today announced the appointment of Wade Miller as the President and CEO of the Winnipeg Football Club, effective immediately.

Since his appointment as Acting CEO on August 9, 2013, Board Chair, Brock Bulbuck, said Miller has proven himself to be a strong, progressive leader with the right combination of football and business experience to succeed in this important role.

“What we have seen in Wade since he became Acting CEO,” said Bulbuck, “is a decisive, solution-oriented leader who isn’t afraid to roll up his sleeves and get down to the hard work of turning the Club around.  We have seen that from the very first day he was appointed and we have every confidence that he will continue to make the kind of change that will position us with a competitive team and successful business office well into the future.”

Bulbuck also credited Miller for being a team player both inside and outside the Club.

“Wade was instrumental in securing the support of both the City and Province as part of the WFC’s recent bid to land either a 2015 or 2016 Grey Cup. As he moves forward, we know he’ll also strengthen relationships with fans, alumni, sponsors and the community-at-large and we look forward to seeing him in action in the years to come.”

In accepting the permanent appointment, Miller said he appreciates the support of the Board and is honoured to serve and lead an organization that has long been such an important part of his life – first as a fan, then a player and more recently as a member of the Blue Bombers’ Alumni, a season ticket holder and corporate sponsor.

“This Club is in my blood,” said Miller, “and I won’t rest until I set things right with fans and that means putting a competitive product back on the field that is capable, in the years ahead, of restoring the pride in this once storied franchise. That is what we owe our fans and that is what I’m 100 per cent committed to doing.”

Miller is a Winnipeg Blue Bomber Hall of Famer, a successful business executive and a long-serving community leader.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.bluebombers.com/article/wade-miller-named-president-ceo-of-winnipeg-football-club

Now all they have to do is actually decide whether or not to keep our coaching staff and/or what player moves we need to make in the off-season to be competitive next year (given the disaster of a season that we had this year, many fans here are calling for change and likely would have a hissy fit if nothing happened).

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #417 on: December 04, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
So both the Eskies and Bombers will have new, rookie head coaches next season (and on top of that, both guys are coming from the Argos). Guess that means we can look forward to at least another season or two of "rebuilding".

Esks tab Chris Jones as new head coach
Posted: November 27, 2013 10:00 AM
Updated: November 28, 2013 12:33 AM
CFL.ca Staff

EDMONTON -- Chris Jones has been named head coach of the Edmonton Eskimo Football Club.

Jones joins the Green and Gold after spending the last two seasons as the defensive coordinator, assistant head coach and assistant general manager of the Toronto Argonauts.

Jones replaces former head coach Kavis Reed, who was dismissed by the Eskimos on Nov. 4.

“Chris Jones has paid his dues in the Canadian Football League and has earned this opportunity.  His commitment to the league and record of success is impressive. I look forward to working with him,” said Eskimos General Manager Ed Hervey in a statement.

Jones began his college coaching career as a graduate assistant at Tennessee Tech University in 1995 and spent seven years in the NCAA before entering the CFL.

He has been to post-season in each of his 12 years in the league, including seven Division Finals and six Grey Cup appearances with Montreal, Calgary and Toronto, winning in 2002, 2008 and 2012.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cfl.ca/article/esks-tab-chris-jones-as-new-head-coach

O'Shea named Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach
Posted: December 04, 2013 01:30 PM
Updated: December 04, 2013 01:32 PM
CFL.ca Staff

WINNIPEG -- Mike O'Shea is the new head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

O'Shea, 43, becomes the 29th head coach in Blue Bombers franchise history. The announcement comes three weeks after the team relieved former head coach Tim Burke of his duties.

"Mike knows what it takes to win in this league, and he has done that as both a player and as a coach,'' GM Kyle Walters said in a statement. "He is highly respected by his peers, and someone we feel is the right fit for what we are trying to build here. We're thrilled to have Coach O'Shea on board.''

The 43-year-old O'Shea, who becomes Winnipeg's 30th head coach, is the second Argo assistant to leave in the off-season. Defensive co-ordinator Chris Jones was named head coach of the Edmonton Eskimos last week.

"This is truly an honour to take over as head coach for such a historic franchise and one of the landmarks of Canadian football,'' O'Shea said in a statement. "The organization, our fans, the city and province deserve a winner, and I assure you we will do everything in our power to make all of those people proud.''

The North Bay, Ont. native arrives in Winnipeg after spending the last four seasons with the Toronto Argonauts as their Special Teams Coordinator.

While heading the Argonauts' special teams he helped Chad Owens develop into one of the premier kick returners in the CFL.  In 2010, Owens was named the league's Most Outstanding Special Teams Player and earned Most Outstanding Player honours in 2012 while under O'Shea.

O’Shea played 16 CFL seasons, including 12 with the Argonauts and four with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, winning three Grey Cup championships (1996-1997, 2004) with Toronto in the process. 

He also won one championship while on the Argonauts' coaching staff in 2012.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cfl.ca/article/oshea-named-blue-bombers-head-coach

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #418 on: January 21, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »
Considering what he's had to go through this past season, yeah, not entirely surprising; and if anyone deserves the rest/break, it's AC.

Au Revoir AC: Legendary Calvillo announces retirement
Posted: January 21, 2014 11:00 AM
Updated: January 21, 2014 12:24 PM
CFL.ca Staff

MONTREAL -- After a Hall of Fame career that spanned 20 seasons, more than 79,000 yards and countless records, Montreal Alouettes quarterback Anthony Calvillo announced his retirement from professional football Tuesday.

The longtime face of the franchise and five-time CFL All-Star was named the CFL's Most Outstanding Player on three separate occasions over the course of his career and holds league records of 79,816 passing yards, 455 touchdown passes, 5,892 completions and 9,437 pass attempts.

“It has been quite a ride! As a kid growing up in California, I never thought that it would be possible to play professional football for 20 years in a country and a city that I knew nothing of,” explained Calvillo, who resides in Montreal with his wife Alexia and two daughters Olivia and Athena. “I will forever be thankful to our owner Bob Wetenhall and General Manager Jim Popp for allowing this franchise to have all the success that we have had over the years.

The city of Montreal and all the great Alouettes fans across the Province of Quebec have embraced me and that feeling is mutual.”

Calvillo broke into the CFL with the Las Vegas Posse in 1994 and spent the following three seasons with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats before rising to stardom after joining the Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Serving as quarterback Tracy Ham's understudy for two seasons, Calvillo took over as the starting pivot in 2000 on his way to winning three Grey Cups with Montreal in 2002, 2009, and in 2010. He was also named the 2002 Grey Cup Most Outstanding Player.

"My family has been privileged to be associated with Anthony over all these years," said Alouettes owner Bob Wetenhall. “We wish him well and are looking ahead to our continuing engagement.”

Calvillo, who was presented with the Key to the City at the end of the 2011 season, led the Alouettes to eight Grey Cup tilts and owns several championship records for most pass completions (179), passing yards (2,470) and touchdown passes thrown.

“Today a hero to many steps to the side, not to be forgotten but to be cherished and respected for years to come. Anthony, you have earned your stripes,” added Alouettes General Manager and Head Coach Jim Popp. “I, first and foremost, want to thank you for being a true gentleman and professional. Secondly, for inspiring us all with your courage and determination. And thirdly, for being such a great leader on and off the field.

Your will to help and give has made us all better people, and the Alouettes a better family. I wish you, Alexia, Athena, and Olivia many years of good health, happiness, and that memorable walk off into the sunset as you all reflect on what an outstanding career you have had and all that you have given to your family and work."

The veteran pivot became pro football’s all-time passing leader in spectacular fashion at Percival Molson Stadium against the Toronto Argonauts on October 10, 2011, following a 50-yard touchdown strike to Jamel Richardson.

“On behalf of the organization, I want to thank Anthony for his great contributions to our team. Not only for what he has done on the field but in the community as well. Anthony was, and always will be a prestigious ambassador for the Alouettes,” declared team President and CEO, Mark Weightman.

In 2012, Calvillo became the first QB in league history to reach the 5,000-plus passing yards mark seven times over his brilliant career. He also threw for over 300 yards in eight-straight games, breaking Doug Flutie's single-season CFL record of seven, set in 1991 with the B.C. Lions. That season, Calvillo deservingly earned his tenth nomination as the team's Most Outstanding Player.

"I would like to thank Anthony and Alexia for their contribution to the Alouettes organization and to the Montreal community throughout the years. I look forward to a continued association and friendship with Anthony and his family for many years to come," said Alouettes Chairman, Paul Harris.

Calvillo is one of the Alouettes’ most active members in the community, particularly with Cedars Cancer Institute.

Canadian Football League Commissioner Mark Cohon said, "Anthony Calvillo is more than one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game. He is one of the most remarkable people to ever grace our league.

We know he has rewritten the record books, completing passes, throwing touchdowns, and leading teams to wins and championships, amassing a legacy as a player that is second to none. What we can't measure is how many lives he has inspired with his example of courage and perseverance. For all of his touchdown drives and comeback victories, his greatest triumphs have been over poverty and circumstance, disappointment and discouragement, injury and illness.

He has shown us what it takes to be a winner on the field. Along the way, he taught us much about what it means to be a true teammate, a loving father and a devoted husband.

All of us will miss AC the player. He is a singular talent.  But Canadians from coast to coast, and football fans beyond our borders, have also come to know Anthony the person. And that is why we have every confidence that he will continue to excel, in his career after football and in his life, most of all."
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cfl.ca/article/au-revoir-ac-legendary-calvillo-announces-retirement

:cheers

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #419 on: April 23, 2014, 06:28:04 AM »
Ochocinco? Really?
- https://twitter.com/MTLAlouettes/statuses/456849915461652481

Montreal's Man: Als ink receiver Chad Johnson
Posted: April 17, 2014 01:45 PM
Updated: April 17, 2014 05:40 PM

CFL.ca Staff

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Alouettes announced on Thursday that they have signed veteran receiver Chad Johnson.

Johnson joins the Alouettes after spending 11 seasons in the NFL, including the first ten with the Cincinnati Bengals. The elite receiver amassed 11,059 receiving yards, which ranks him 30th on the NFL all-time list. He also caught 766 passes while scoring 67 receiving touchdowns. He averaged 14.4 yards per catch in his 166 career games played South of the border.

"Chad Johnson did an outstanding job the last three days. As we added him into the mix, it was to see how he communicated with the players, how he held himself, the way he physically held up, his true interest in coming to the CFL," said Jim Popp.

"It was a total evaluation so that it's a good fit. He was very happy and very excited to be on the field again and we are happy to welcome him to the Alouettes," added Popp.

Johnson cracked 1,000 receiving yards with Cincinnati in seven out of eight seasons from 2002 through 2009. He also snagged eight or more touchdown receptions in five separate occasions during his tenure with the Bengals.

Drafted in the second round (36th overall) by Cincinnati from Oregon State University, the Miami, Florida native reached the Pro Bowl five straight years from 2003-2007 and again in 2009 with the Bengals.

The now 36-year-old last played in 2011 with New England, where he made 15 catches for 276 yards and a touchdown. He caught one pass in Super Bowl XLVI for 21 yards as New England lost 21-17 to the New York Giants. Most recently he took part in the Miami Dolphins training camp in 2012.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cfl.ca/article/alouettes-ink-veteran-receiver-chad-johnson
VIDEO LINKS - VIDEO 1 | VIDEO 2

Assuming he makes the team, it'll probably better if he just sticks with his real name. "Chad Quatre-Vingt-Cinq" just doesn't roll of the tongue that well.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - Surrender