JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rania - Just Go

Author Topic: General Fanfic Suggestion Thread  (Read 14566 times)

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
General Fanfic Suggestion Thread
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:47:40 PM »
Loser-chan and I are all lalalalalalala lately o____o;

So we're welcoming community help to think of nifty events, contests, etc for the future of this section~!

Ten bucks this might be a lil empty 'cause we're that epic, but hey, not all cutie patootie gods are perfect xDDDD

Right now, I'm considering moving all the dead fics to a new section, just to tidy up the general thread a bit more with shit that's actually been updating consistently~!

How's that? '_'

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: General Fanfic Suggestion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »
Right now, I'm considering moving all the dead fics to a new section, just to tidy up the general thread a bit more with shit that's actually been updating consistently~!
Isn't that what this section is for?
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?board=103.0

Only question is, what constitutes a "dead fic"? If it's just lack of activity, then some parameters will have to be set so that people will know why and where their fic has been moved. It'll also help if they could have reassurances that if they suddenly get re-inspired and want to resume a fic, it can get moved back to the regular "active" section.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:33:52 PM »
Roffle no, the library is meant for completed fics xDDD

In my opinion, I think I'll move the fics that have more than three months of inactivity to the dead section xDDD

Anyone could PM me or IM me asking me to put it back in the normal section if they finally have an update '_'

But yes, dead fic section. We'd need a nifty name + description for it '_'

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:09:06 AM »
Nifty name...eh?

"Left hangin' "?

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline 0508

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 03:18:23 AM »
"Left hangin' "?

That made me think of naming it "Blue balls".

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:13:12 AM »
^
*strolls into thread, reads.....up to Dinny's post, backs away slowly* :P

Oshit, that means like ALL my threads are going to hell... XD :sweatdrop:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 05:30:32 AM »
I know, I know!

COLD STORAGE!

:D

Please don't sue me for copyright infringement.

Edit: Ichigo-chan's post made me think again. How about Purgatory? XD

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 06:10:39 AM »
I don't know about you but doesn't that actually discourage people from reading?  I don't think many new, or even current, readers would care to venture into a whole section of fics that are marked inactive.  It's like making a place for fics to just die....well actually that is clearly your intention but I don't think it's the most encouraging one.

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 06:50:03 AM »
How bout...

R.I.P

If it's dead then Rest In Peace... OR... it could also mean.. "Resurrection (might be) In Progress"

XD
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:56:06 AM by stefy »

Offline 0508

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 07:12:37 AM »
I agree with what Sukoshi said. There isn't much of a need to separate the active and inactive fics. The active ones tend to stay on top anyways so yeah... :o

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »
Yes, but isn't that the point of the dead fiction thread? o_O

There's readers who apparently loathe being left hanging and would rather read the updating fiction... On one hand though, I personally am quite reluctant to do this for the reasons Sukoshi stated :0...

On the other hand, new readers seem to stumble on here by word, so the community CAN point out what's a great fiction to read and what's not should the newbs ask someone around here, right? I mean, the majority of us seem to post our contact details right out in the open so why not? xDD

Maybe we should just place the super-super dead fics in there with more than a year of inactivity? o_O

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
Mm, I suppose you could be right, Yuuchan. About the contacting thing. But I think it's kinda sad to see your fics be put in a thread like that. :cry: I don't think dead fics are much of a problem, to be honest. Like Dinny said, all the updated ones are on the top anyway, and you would think that's where ppl who are just getting started would...start. :D
I do think there should be a separate area for those fics who have been cleared out, but the thread is still there to avoid killing ppl's post counts. Those kinda get on my nerves, though I think they're mostly in the library already.

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »
But then sometimes ppl like to bump fics just to request the writer to continue writing right?... those fics would also be on top wouldn't they? So what difference does it make?

At least if there's a "dead" fics thread it'll be a good way to allow new readers to understand that the fic might not be updated for awhile. Plus it'll prevent unwanted 'revivals' of a thread and not confuse those frequent readers.

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 01:00:46 AM »
^
Ah, I forgot about that. :doh: Not to badmouth anyone who does that, but it's annoying as hell. :lol: Gets my hopes up.
Anyway, perhaps you're right. Maybe the "dead fic" area is a good idea.....I'm torn now. :P

Offline katatsumuri

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 01:57:09 AM »
I'm absolutely against the idea. Worse second thing to do to a writer than writer's block.
Besides everything here used to be so navigable until sub-forums (fanfic per se) keep mushrooming.
Now I have to click four places just to check for fanfic-related updates.

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 02:16:59 AM »
Hnn, what Stefy said was entirely my intention for the dead fanfiction section: to not confuse people xD;

And to Katatsumuri, I see that the move certainly spurned more hatred towards me if your last comment about my fiction being "incomprehensible" was any indication. xDDD EDIT: Alright, that was very immature of me to say, so I'll leave my childish message here so that others can make fun of me. T_T;

But yeah, I'm someone who acts on community will rather than my own ( since I'm not one to like receiving anti's ), so if more votes push for leaving the dead fictions in their place, I won't do anything about it xDDD
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:03:11 AM by Yuuyami »

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »
Hm... personally, unfinished fics make me sad but I think that having a section for "dead" fics might be counter productive. Authors who have had their fics moved there might just give up on them because it will feel like others have given up on it too. I think sometimes, new readers who come and comment on a fic that has been inactive for a long time actually serves to revive the author's interest in writing it. Sometimes. Currently though, there aren't even that many pages to navigate through so I don't really feel like there is a need to further separate the stories and the dates of the posts give a clear indication of how "dead" a story is so the reader can decide if they want to read a story that hasn't been updated in however long.

On the other hand, if it were a fic that definitely had no chance of it being written further then it being put in a dead fic section isn't so bad. Maybe if the author has left the fandom and is inactive in other parts of the forum as well for a certain amount of time? Or if the author requests the fic to be moved because they have decided it's not something they will continue.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:12:55 AM by Kuji »

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »
lol Katatsumuri and I think the same.  I absolutely loathe clicking on all the sub-forums.  I notice I've been reading less now cause I check other sections less often.  As for adding yet another sub-forum...no thanks.

I know it's really annoying when old fics get bumped but just like what Kuji said, it has been beneficial a couple of times.  A couple of stories did get finished that way and I'm sure some writers appreciate getting comments even if it is for something super old.

if you really must go ahead with it, your new suggestion of more than a year of inactivity is more reasonable.  3 months is a total no though.  that will only leave you with half a page for the main section. 

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
^Lol, I understand what you mean about the sub-forums being inconvenient, but since my whole life revolves around the fanfic section, I just open multiple tabs and check everything. XD

I think it's best to ask a writer's consent as to whether they want their fics moved to any sort of a "dead fics" forum, instead of merely judging by inactivity. Then it'll be more like a graveyard....although that way even less people will read it, so that's not a good idea either.

Eh, just keep the current system. Less complicated. XD

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »
I agree, more then 1yr is more understandable... and we should probably ask the writer before putting the fic into another sub-forum. Oh and check the activeness of the writer first too.

I'm reading less too but then again I already read less from the start so... it wouldn't make much difference to me XD

But I have this weird obsession for 'neatness'. Ask Essy or Hammy, they've seen my never ending folders for all my pictures (H!P AND non-H!P pics) XD

This is just my 2cents, I was just trying to point out that sometimes it's annoying to get all excited for nothing when I see an old (good) fic thread revive just to find out someone bumped it that's all.

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rania - Just Go