JPHiP Radio (12/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nico Touches the Walls - Sono Taxi 160kmh

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 487171 times)

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #2260 on: January 22, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
got a question: I was d/l something which lasted three hours. It timed out and it terminated my d/l. I believe it had something to do with my computer sleeping and all..is there a way i can change it or do something that can make the d/l continue? thanks again!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2261 on: January 22, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »
^ Check your messages duder :)

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2262 on: January 22, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
technical question about phones in general, or those with GPS.  Can u track a phone using GPS?  I mean GPS tracking GPS? GPS-enabled, ir even not-enabled phones can be tracked with other phones or only those authorized to do so, like the companies, or the police? Is there such a technology available to the public? to track a lost phone, someone who needs to be found, etc.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2263 on: January 23, 2010, 08:22:25 AM »
technical question about phones in general, or those with GPS.  Can u track a phone using GPS?  I mean GPS tracking GPS? GPS-enabled, ir even not-enabled phones can be tracked with other phones or only those authorized to do so, like the companies, or the police? Is there such a technology available to the public? to track a lost phone, someone who needs to be found, etc.
'GPS Tracking' means the phone can send its location in return to a request.
GPS is received only, the fact that you do that is not trackable in itself.

Phones are always traceable when they are turned on, they communicate constantly with the towers to check in but it is less accurate.
Some companies offer a 'track my lost phone' I think the Microsoft version offers a charge per time you need it? Apple requires you to buy the extra package (which has a monthly fee)
The phone company constantly tracks your phone and its location plus what you do with it, they can view it if they want it.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2264 on: January 23, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
thanks, I just saw this japanese drama, Tokyo DOGS and were just wondering. 
I'm thinking of getting another phone and think it would great if I can find my phone if it was lost or stolen.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #2265 on: January 23, 2010, 10:44:15 PM »
got a question...if I put a blank disc in and I download something, can I save it while it's playing?

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2266 on: January 24, 2010, 05:39:40 AM »
In most circumstances, there shouldn't be any problem with copying something as it's playing. (I think that's what you mean, right?)

The problems generally only happen when you try to modify or delete the file you're currently accessing.

I say generally, because I had a friend who always seemed to have trouble burning anything if he was doing so much as running a browser.  That was several years ago though, so I don't think there should be any problem with a more modern computer.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2267 on: January 24, 2010, 05:46:47 AM »
got a question...if I put a blank disc in and I download something, can I save it while it's playing?

Yep, shouldn't be a problem with WinXP or later - though it might vary based on your player and burning software.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #2268 on: January 24, 2010, 07:23:53 AM »
well, the dvd magazines i've been trying to d/l when i had time and i dont have much space to save, plus if i put one ready to burn and i download something else, would it nullify the first one i d/l'ed or will it be okay

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2269 on: January 24, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »
I'm not sure I understand your concern here, but I'll give it a shot.

The file you downloaded won't be deleted or anything just by burning it to a disc.  You still have to delete it yourself if you want to recover the space that it takes up.

In general, things on your hard drive aren't "nullified" or deleted without you explicitly telling your system to do so.  The exceptions to that rule are usually things like browser caches, automatic backups, logs and such.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #2270 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »
no, i mean let's say i d'l'ed a vid and i burned it onto a disc, but i d/l another and put it on..will the first be deleted?

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2271 on: January 24, 2010, 08:09:29 AM »
If it's not a rewritable disc, no: anything you burn onto it is permanent.

If it is rewritable, you still have to explicitly tell it to erase what you burned before in order to rewrite to it.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2272 on: January 28, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »
I have a Dell 370 desktop and the CPU fan is excessively loud.  what can I do to tone it down?  does it have to do with the BIOS settings or OS settings?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #2273 on: January 28, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
I don't suppose there's a way to re-partition a Windows C-drive, is there?

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #2274 on: January 29, 2010, 02:00:14 AM »
I don't suppose there's a way to re-partition a Windows C-drive, is there?

I once tried and it totally ruined it, despite the program claiming it could do it.  Luckily it was a new windows install so nothing was lost and I just reinstalled again.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2275 on: January 29, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
Windows Vista and 7 let you resize your C partition. Then you can create additional partitions on that drive.

I have a Dell 370 desktop and the CPU fan is excessively loud.  what can I do to tone it down?  does it have to do with the BIOS settings or OS settings?

There is software that will let you that (if your fan is speed adjustable, but most cpu-fans are nowadays). For example speedfan.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:28:17 PM by tiny »

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2276 on: January 29, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »
There is software that will let you that (if your fan is speed adjustable, but most cpu-fans are nowadays). For example speedfan.
Before you go and slow the CPU fan down, I would check why it makes so much noise, it might have dust on it.
It might also be the air flow is really bad inside the machine and it NEEDS to run fast to cool things down.

Most CPU fans are auto adjusting these days, no need for additional programs.

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2277 on: January 29, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »
Yes, agreed. Also, because it is a Dell desktop, there might not be a 'traditional' cpu fan and heatsink. Dell often has custom designs for those.

In any case it is important that a good flow of air is possible. That means the front intakes and rear air exhaust ports must be free from blockage and preferably clean from dust. If necessary open the case and carefully clean all the dust away.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2278 on: January 30, 2010, 04:25:30 AM »
how can I set IE 8 so newly opened tabs from links will open next to the current tab?  u know, just like IE 7.  

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2279 on: January 30, 2010, 06:15:11 AM »
ok, do you mean like this?
current tab | last opened | next to last opened | first opened

Cause this isn't how it works in chrome or in IE8.  Instead, it goes like this:
current tab | first opened | next to last opened | last opened

Or do you mean opening a new tab but not switching to it?:
Tools > Internet Options, then this:

Or are you having problems opening tabs in the first place? (middle-mouse-click or ctrl-click)

JPHiP Radio (12/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nico Touches the Walls - Sono Taxi 160kmh