JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - Lollipop (Feat. SHINee)

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485688 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1640 on: August 27, 2008, 04:27:23 AM »
^
That could be true. Are the numbered files RARs? If they are, then all you have to do is un-RAR/extract the first one, and the rest will be automatically taken care of.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1641 on: August 27, 2008, 07:32:33 AM »
well, all i did was do the first file first and it should have done the rest..but to no avail..i don't know what i'm doing wrong :(
Are you sure thay have the same name (make sure you disable 'hide extensions for known file types' if you use windows)
You could rename them yourself to mure sure, name the first x.001, the next x.002 etc.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1642 on: August 27, 2008, 07:34:12 AM »
^
That could be true. Are the numbered files RARs? If they are, then all you have to do is un-RAR/extract the first one, and the rest will be automatically taken care of.
HJSplit will gladly concatenate .001 rar files, its doesn't care.

Actually: you can copy the files 'by hand' in a command prompt:

copy /b x.001+x.002+x.003 x

It does the same as HJSplit

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1643 on: August 28, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »
i don't even know how to work it anymore..i give up :(

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1644 on: August 28, 2008, 02:10:58 AM »
I guess I'll pose this question here. For whatever reason YouTube videos for me are not loading at all. The page loads fine, but the actual video doesn't even start. Other video sites like Veoh work fine for me though. Anyone know what the problem might be?

I've finally figured out the problem.

Google Web Accelerator.

If you have it, then dump it, burn it, trash it, disable it, get rid of it, uninstall it -- do everything you can to get as far away from it as possible. Trust me, it works.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1645 on: August 28, 2008, 03:00:53 AM »
i don't even know how to work it anymore..i give up :(
Don't do that dude. Try taking some screenshots and posting them here so that we'll have a better idea of what you're dealing with. We'll need a shot of the files themselves as you see them in the folder you have, as well as the "error" message that pops up when you try to put them together with HJ Split.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1646 on: August 28, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »
Also you might want to check file sizes and try and dl them all again to make sure nothing was wrong with the files you dled.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1647 on: August 28, 2008, 11:59:45 PM »
i'll see what i can do..can't promise you guys if i can get it to work

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1648 on: August 29, 2008, 12:21:37 AM »
It's not for us, it's for you :lol:

Offline YoukaiChica

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1649 on: August 31, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »
I need help! I know there's probably a better, more appropriate place to ask this but now I'm just plain desperate: what  port should I use when using fast torrent. I can't find the right port and now I'm torrent less. My life has never looked so bleak...

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1650 on: August 31, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »
I need help! I know there's probably a better, more appropriate place to ask this but now I'm just plain desperate: what  port should I use when using fast torrent. I can't find the right port and now I'm torrent less. My life has never looked so bleak...
You mean incoming? Most BT programs have a 'random' button, but anything above 10000 (and below about 65000) should work as long as the port is forwarded from your modem to your computer (and not blocked by your ISP)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
SP2 update = C-drive full of ???
« Reply #1651 on: September 05, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »
So, did anyone else get this SP2 update for Win XP?  Like a lemur, I pressed the update button blindly and, half an hour later, I got myself a BLOATED C-drive full of backup files and cryptic files with a lot of consonants.

Is there an easy way to clean all this crap up?

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1652 on: September 05, 2008, 06:40:19 PM »
^ Do you want to clean up your drive, or remove the updates??

For a clean up, have a read here..

If you want to remove all those updates, just go to "add/remove" programs in the control panel, select that box at the top (what ever the hell that says), sort them by date, then uninstall 'em..

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1653 on: September 06, 2008, 01:22:31 AM »
That article about removing the SP2 backup files might do the trick.  Thanks! 

And if I don't post here in a while then you'll know I blew up my Windows and had to reformat.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1654 on: September 06, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »
Do you mean SP3?

Anyways if you get the program ccleaner, it can remove the hotfix uninstallers for you.
Its also a pretty good utility to clean up some other files you probably don't need.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1655 on: September 06, 2008, 01:52:56 AM »
Anyways if you get the program ccleaner, it can remove the hotfix uninstallers for you.

Thanks!  I'll check that out too!

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #1656 on: September 06, 2008, 01:57:23 AM »
I'm assuming the problem is overheating but it might not be so I'll give asking you wizards a go anyway :P
A month or two my laptop decided to be stupid and started making these really loud humming noise coming from the right bottom corner under the keyboard, they would start about 10-15 mins after turning it on, then everything would freeze when it was doing and eventually it got so bad that it got to the point that as soon as it was on and was trying to do disk check it would freeze and it back a bastard cycle... anyway, I eventually got to resetting it and restoring it to factory settings (which was hard enough coz it kept freezing during the process, so it took days :lol: ) and it's been fine for a few weeks... The other night I was using it for a few hours and then BAM, the noise is back and so is the freezing... Does it sound like overheating and needing a good cleaning inside?
It's 20ish months old but dude, the good quality laptops I can get now for cheap would be worth getting more than forking out money to get this fixed.

Offline aKaoNi

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1657 on: September 06, 2008, 02:20:53 AM »
Sounds like your fan might be going out, the timing of it cutting on after 10-15 mins which is usually when you're laptop would be warmed up and it being a humming sound gives me that impression. The bearings for the fan might be done and it running bad or not running at all would cause the overheating and freezing you mention. If you can take the laptop apart it wouldn't cost too much to fix it, you can either add couple drops of oil to the fan bearings or just swap the fan out and it'll save you from buying a new laptop, so long as it hadn't ran soo hot to cause any permanent damage to any parts you should be able to fix it.

Some example pics of how to re-lube the bearings of a computer fan:

Being a laptop your fan will probably look something like this when you open it all up:

If you can't get the fan fixed check ebay for a replacement fan, shouldn't be much.

And here's a site that has step by step how to's for fixing laptop cooling/fan issues for a number of laptops, check to see and they just might have yours listed:

http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_fan.html

And for the oil, any household 3 in 1 lubricating oil like this would work fine:

Hope that helps!!

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #1658 on: September 06, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »
^ Ok I love you so much right now, you've been so helpful today :wub: I'll give that a go, thanks sooo much! :heart:

Offline NAzu

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1659 on: September 06, 2008, 07:12:37 PM »
Lubricating the bearings isn't very long lasting solution to the problem (...IF the bearings are crapping out). Getting a second hand fan/cooler from ebay is a better option. Also it could be the harddisk (they make odd noises when they're at the end of they're life).

JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - Lollipop (Feat. SHINee)