JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Takahashi Ai - Yume kara Samete

Author Topic: Here I am - Chapter 2 (07/31/12)  (Read 3928 times)

Offline BlackMeanie

Here I am - Chapter 2 (07/31/12)
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »
Well... hi. Posting here my first Morning Musume fanfic, so be nice, please.

Hope you enjoy it!

Here I am

Prologue

“Tell me that you aren’t related to this,” an accusing voice was heard in the darkness, breaking the silence.

“I’m not related to this,” a defensive one responded.

A muffled scream resonated in the tiny space. It was a mixture of annoyance, frustration and helplessness.

However, said sound of almost emotional pain elicited something akin to a giggle from the other involved part, and that was something that could not be tolerated… It didn’t matter if the other wasn’t even trying to offend her.

“I hope you aren’t laughing.”

The coldness in her tone hurt the older as if she had just received a stab right into her chest, but she decided ignore that pain to try to establish and keep up a civilized conversation. After all, they didn’t know how much time they would have to be there… and talking sounded way more entertaining than being quiet.

“Sorry…” She excused herself half-heartedly. “I didn’t mean t--”

“Cut the crap.”

Well, maybe the conversation wouldn’t turn out to be so civilized, considering who she was talking to.

“I just wanted to say th---”

“Shut up.”

“But, I have a right to s---”

“I said shut up, for goodness sakes!” The younger nearly screamed out. “We’re stuck in an elevator, and it’s already half past midnight! I got up at 5:30 am this morning so the last thing I want to hear at this moment is your whines!”

The one trying to get a word in edgeways stared incredulously at the other, or at least tried to stare at where her voice was coming from since the lack of light didn’t allow her to see her.

She was considered to be a calm and peaceful person. But this was simply too much. She had a right to speak, even if the younger of the two didn’t think so. And she was so going to listen to what she had to say…

“I’m not going to shut up,” she stated, and almost felt how the other girl tensed. The younger tried to pretend that she a strong person, but she was a big softie and a crybaby deep inside. It was easy enough to startle her. “You don’t have a right to boss me around, at least not anymore.”

The younger didn’t defend herself, and didn’t respond to that either. She just kept silent, and the other guessed that she was probably deeply frustrated by what she had just said. Most likely than frustrated, she probably felt hurt… And that fleeting conclusion made the older feel horrible inside. But it wasn’t her fault.

The younger had infuriated her first.

And yes, she was considered to be, and was, a calm person. But this girl managed to get on her nerves like no one else could… maybe that was the reason for which she found her so appealing.

“I’m… sorry… I mean, I’m sorry for saying that.”

And finding her so alluring was, consequently, the reason for which she always ended up apologising to her.

“I’m going to tell you something,” the younger finally spoke up, and judging by her whiny tone the other guessed that she was trying to hold in her tears. “You’ve told me that you’re sorry so many times lately that your apologies have lost their meaning to me…”

“You could have told me that sooner,” she responded with a tired sigh, before closing her eyes and leaning her head against one of the walls of the elevator.

“You never asked.”

The older mentally rolled her eyes at the remark. What was she supposed to ask her? You don’t approach someone to ask them if they’re okay with your apologies… But she was civil enough to ignore the commentary… she didn’t want to upset the girl, considering she was already on the verge of tears.

They fell silent again, the tension between them evident. It wasn’t a comfortable silence, like the ones they used to share not such a long time before. It was one of those silences that silently yearn to be broken.

One of those that make the atmosphere freeze. And that was something that the older couldn’t conceive, at least not between them.

“What happened to us?”

She didn’t mean to be this direct. A little more subtlety could have done a better service to them… or to their mental sanity to be precise.

They both knew that things between them weren’t as they were supposed to be. Some years ago they wouldn’t have been standing in opposite sides of the elevator if they had found themselves in the same situation, after all.

But admitting that something was wrong between them out loud was something they weren’t prepared to hear, at least not yet. 

“I don’t know what you mean…”

And the younger had a tendency to avoid hurtful topics.

“Oh, come on, you know what I mean…” Another tired sigh followed the statement. “You know I’m here, willing to do anything for you… You know it, and yet you treat me like if I wasn’t… You act as if I wasn’t here, not physically nor in a metaphoric way…”

“I don’t und--”

“What I mean is that I feel like I’m invisible to you, and it seems to me that you think I won’t be there if you need me…”

“Well, that’s probably because that’s what I exactly want you to think…” The younger responded in a maybe more vindictive way than she really intended, and the other winced inwardly.

They fell silent again for a brief moment; but that seconds lasted longer than any other minute that they had passed together.

The older felt her insides burning. She couldn’t understand what was happening between them, and started to feel sick. She didn’t know if she felt ill because of the lack of air or because of their not so unexpected argument, but the point was that she wasn’t feeling well at all.

She tried to disguise her state, nevertheless.

“Why would you want that?”

“What?”

“What I don’t really understand is that…” She gulped before continuing. “Why do you keep trying to hurt me?”

A bitter laugh was heard from the other part.

“I could say the same about you, you know?” She bit back.

“I’m not trying to---”

“Maybe you’re not trying, but your mere presence here is hurting me…” Now was the time for the younger to gulp before continuing. “Why did you come back? What are you doing here? What are you planning? What do you want from me…?”

Why did you leave me in the first place?

“I didn’t know that--”

“That I feel like that?” She raised her voice exponentially making the older regret having started the conversation. “Well, I think that that was pretty obvious…”

“I’m---“

“Sorry!” She concluded for the other one. “Yeah, I know that you’re sorry! Shut up already, okay? Don’t say anything else…”

The yelling made the older feel even sicker and irritable. By the moment she was feeling completely dizzy, and gradually more exhausted because of the argument.

“You see? We keep on running in circles…” She spoke weakly. “We always end up the same way… I tell you that I’m sorry and you tell me to shut up…”

“Well that’s probably because I don’t believe a single word you say!” The younger retorted. “You’re just pure façade to me!”

“But what this is all about?” The other asked confusedly. “I knew that you were bearing a grudge against me… but this is too much! What is wrong with you?”

The younger didn’t even answer that, but she failed at hiding a sob. That was the hint for the other to continue.

At the moment she didn’t even know why she had come back, as the other had asked her before, and it would take her time to understand that she had just to ask a simple question to the younger:

“Do you hate me?”

The other kept silent, but ended up responding after a brief pause. The older heard her answer; even if it was almost inaudible, being muffled by her now unashamed crying.

“I do…”

“But why?” She asked the younger, as if trying to make her think otherwise. “I have already tried to apologise about a thousand of times… But you won’t listen to what I have to say!”

“I don’t think that you have anything to say to me!” She stated. “I don’t know what’s your point of view on the story, but I’ll tell you that I don’t give a damn about it…”

“And what about your point of view?”

“My point of view?” She asked softly but with a pinch of fury in her tone. “My point of view is that you left me… That’s all I need to know. You disappeared one day, without even telling me…”

“I had my reasons and—“

“And what?” She came back to her state of hysteria and elevated her voice. “I don’t care about your reasons! They’re just bullshit to me! The only thing I see is that you abandoned me! You almost destroyed me! Even if you didn’t intend to! You don’t know how I felt at the time, and you don’t know how I feel now! And als---”

“Okay, you win!” The older interrupted when she felt even dizzier. “I left you, yes… That’s something that can’t be denied… But here I am, right? I’m back…”

“I don’t care about that… You left me… You left me alone… and now, yes, you’re back after almost three years without even knowing where the hell you were…”

The older finally got it. The angriness of the younger was also bitterness. Bitterness held because of the worry she had had to pass through when the other left without even telling her. It must have been especially tough to her, after all.

Her life was already enough messed up without adding her girlfriend’s sudden disappearance.

“And the worst thing is that I spent months worrying about what could have happened to you…” She confirmed verbally. “I almost hoped that something had happened to you… That way I wouldn’t have had to bear with the truth: you had left me, and probably because of me…”

“Hey, that’s not true…”

“And then had to come the day when that stupid letter came,” she continued her monologue ignoring the other’s intermission. “You know what? I didn’t even read it… I threw it in the trash as soon as I read the first line… When I read ‘I’m sorry’ the little hope I had left disappeared… You had left me…” She sighed and took a brief pause. “But maybe that’s not why I hate you.”

The older was already having problems to breathe, something that the other hadn’t even noticed, but was still sane enough to notice the younger’s latest conclusion.

“Why do you hate me then?” She asked confused.

“I hate you because you had to come back just when I was managing to get healed… You just had to jump into my life again… Now I have to see you almost everyday… I have to work with you, and that means that I have to share part of my life with you, even if it’s just the professional part of it.”

“Well then,” the older spoke up before ruffling her own hair in an attempt to erase her dizziness. “I think that you don’t hate me… I think that you’re scared…”

“Scared? Of what?” She laughed half-heartedly. “Of you? Keep on dreaming…”

“No, not scared of me…” She agreed, somewhat amazed by the fact that the younger seemed to be calm for the first time in the almost half an hour that they had been stuck in the elevator. “You know that nobody will ever love you like I do… That’s what you’re scared of…”

They fell silent again, but the older heard a very clear whisper in the darkness.

“I hate you… so much…”

She didn’t take it personally. In fact, she felt rather relieved when she heard the younger saying that in such a low voice: that meant that she wasn’t intending to hurt her, at least not this time.

But then again, if she didn’t want her to hear it… that probably meant that she really hated her, after all.

That fleeting thought made her feel even sicker, and for the first time the lack of air made her pant way too loudly.

“What is it now?” The younger asked, somewhat scared and somewhat amused.

“I haven’t been…” she panted again. “Feeling well for some minutes…”

“Is this some kind of lame trick?”

“No…” the sounding of something dropping to the floor startled the younger even more. “No… I’m really not okay…”

Something heavier fell.

“Ai…? What was that sound?” The younger reached her arms out fearfully.

She realised that the older was on the floor, already unconscious.

“Ai? Ai…?”

She started to shake her in order to wake the other up. It was weird to think that it had been the first direct contact that they had had in almost three years.

But more than weird, it was sad.

“Ai! Wake up!”

Luckily for both of them, her cries for help wouldn’t take very long to be heard.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:41:25 PM by BlackMeanie »

Offline darkacex99

• Member+
  • RISA RISA RISA!!!
Re: Here I am
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »
YAY a new fanfiction  :on GJ: NICE!!!

the prolouge is AWESOME!!! ok so Ai is a character, but i cant figure out the second gurl XD risa maybe? idk ill juss wait and find out
I cant wait til chapter 1! i can tell this is gunna be a good fanfic :on woohoo:

since this fanfiction thread is basically dead i juss wanna tell u watever u post i will read and enjoy it :kneelbow:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:51:12 PM by darkacex99 »

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:14:24 AM »
My instincts kept screaming ReinAi before I was even halfway through. I hope I am right. XD but even if I am not I believe I shall continue reading. I enjoy your storytelling style and am relieved that this generation of fic writers show promise. :lol: why is it that the fanfic section resembles the actual generations in Momusu? XD

Anyway back to the story. Interesting premise. Good descriptions and I felt engaged by the emotions on display. I hope you continue! Ganbatte ne!

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:37:13 AM »
I agree with Essy on the storytelling style and this fic seems interesting enough to read through, hope you can update often :twothumbs
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:48:50 AM »
Well written, yet seems like a RenAi. I may be lurking for a while >.>  <.<  >.>

Offline BlackMeanie

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »
darkacex99: thanks for reading! I hope you continue enjoying this!
Estrea: I’ll just say that you have damn good instincts then, heh. Well, I’m relieved to know that you found my storytelling good… English is not my mother tongue and I’m not very confident in my ability to express myself in this language, so it’s great to know that. Thanks!
kurosawa87: I hope I can update often too… But well, I’m currently on holidays, so that might me possible...  XD
rndmnwierd: thanks for reading, and don’t worry: there will be doses of other pairings… the one that your sig supports too…  :P

Well, thanks for reading, and sorry for the lateness for this update... I'll probably be quicker from now on!

Chapter 1

It was way after 19:00 when Ai woke up in her bed that day. She didn’t even feel the need to confirm it visually, since she could sense that the hour wasn’t the same as the one she was used to get up to through her closed eye-lids, due to the amount of light that penetrated through her curtains.

However, she directed her gaze towards her clock right away.

“Oh shit…” She muttered under her breath.

Her workaholic side started to function immediately, and she decided to get up all of a sudden in order to make her way into her kitchen. However, as soon as she stood on her feet she understood that arriving there was not going to be an easy task: she could literally feel her brain throbbing inside her skull, but managed to start walking, without avoiding some stumbles in the way.

Just as she was about to go into her kitchen, a high-pitched scream greeted her, making her head state go worst, and she stopped dead on her tracks in the threshold of the door.

“Good morning!”

“Morning…?” She grumbled sarcastically. “You could have woken me up sooner…”

The other rolled her eyes, but smiled at her anyway.

“Sorry about that,” she excused herself half-heartedly. “But I don’t think you could have woken up earlier today in the first place… You look terrible, after all.”

“Thanks, Risa,” Ai smiled back. “That’s something I want to hear every morning.”

Ai sat down on the first stool that she found in her kitchen, as Risa filled a glass of water for her, noticing the elder’s croaked voice, and sitting across from her afterwards.

“How are you feeling?” She asked.

“Well, I’ve had better days,” the other responded as she took a quick sip on the glass. “But I’m fine, I guess.”

“Glad to hear that, I think that…” Risa stopped talking as Ai placed her glass and rested her elbows on the cold surface of the table, staring at her with an intense gaze before running her fingers through her hair.

Ai was, obviously, not pleased for some reason. And Risa expected the question that was going to come.

“Shouldn’t you be in the law firm? You know doing something…” She sounded harsher than she truly intended, but managed to relax the momentary awkward situation by failing at suppressing a massive yawn, making Risa laugh. “I mean, shouldn’t you be working? Doing lawyer stuff and such…”

“I left early…” Risa responded weakly. “I told my boss that I had something to do and--”

“What excuse did you give her?” Ai cut in.

“I told her that my sister was sick and had no one to take care of her…” Risa smiled a little. “You know how that goes, just a little lie…”

“Well, that’s a huge lie, considering that I’m not your sister and that I’m not sick,” the older retorted. “And, besides, I can take care of myself.”

“Oh, come on, Ai,” Risa sighed. “When I arrived at the hospital to pick you up, you couldn’t even stand on your feet properly…”

“That doesn’t mean that I’m sick,” Ai stated firmly while playing with the now emptied glass of water. “And that I can’t take care of myself, either.”

“Aichan, I’m not saying that you need someone to be watching over you all day, I’m just saying that you needed some help last night… Someone to take care of you…” Risa explained calmly, even though the noise Ai was making with the glass was starting to get on her nerves. She flashed her best smile to the other anyway, hoping to calm her down somehow.

“I don’t need someone to take care of me... and I don’t need help,” Ai insisted, making the glass roll a couple of times before continuing her speech. “I’ve fallen ill a lot of times since I left Fukui and needed nobody to be watching over me.”

Risa got up from her stool and snatched the damned glass out of Ai’s grip to place it away from her, fearing that she might break it. Ai looked at her puzzled and laughed incoherently for a brief moment, before staring unpleasantly at her again.

“You see? This is what I’m talking about!” Ai nearly screamed. “You’ve taken the glass just as if I was a little kid!”

“Aichan, I’m not treating you like a kid,” Risa sighed. “It’s just that you have to understand that sometimes you need people around to help you, and since there’s nobody to do so since--”

“I am alone here, I know that. So don’t even try to finish that sentence,” the older warned somewhat threateningly. “The only thing you need to know is that I’m independent enough to avoid having a motherly figure looking after me as if I was a kid.”

They both fell silent and just stared at each other for a fleeting moment, intensely, in an almost challenging way. But they didn’t last. After all, they both knew that their friendship was strong enough to bear with such absurd arguments, and Ai, as always, took the lead in apologising.

“Risa, listen… I’m sorry,” she sighed as she broke their eye contact, focusing on staring at the surface of the table briefly. “It’s just that we’ve already had this conversation before, and we always end up arguing like this… I mean, I know that you care about me and all, but you have to respect that there are certain subjects that I don’t want you to bring up…”

“I know… I’m sorry for almost…” She stopped. “You know, for almost crossing the line.”

“It’s okay, really…” Ai smiled. “But I have already told you that I don’t want you to lie because of me… And it’s your boss about who we’re talking about; you shouldn’t risk your own work for something like this.”

“Aichan… you weren’t feeling well.” Risa said with an unreadable expression. “The doctor said that you fainted because of your stress, and you’ve slept for 14 hours straight. You are exhausted. If I had left you alone, you would have probably gone to the office.”

“I have to work.”

“Not today, and tomorrow either.”

Ai mentally rolled her eyes at her friend. They both knew that no one was going to stop her from working, so what was the fuss all about? It wasn’t worth it, after all. However, knowing the younger, Ai concluded that the best for them both would be changing subjects, at least before the other locked her in a room to prevent her from working.

“And what about you?” She asked suspiciously. “Have you slept? Took a rest?”

“I have.”

“Well, I remember leaving the kitchen as a veritable mess when I left for work yesterday…” Ai retorted while observing her surroundings. “I bet you’ve been tidying the apartment for me…”

“Well, in fa--”

“Go home,” the older interrupted. “You need to rest too, you know?”

“But I can’t le--”

“If you don’t go to sleep now, tomorrow you’ll be exhausted too,” she interrupted again. “So it’s settled: go home and rest.”

“Well…” Risa said softly while nervously straightening her shirt before heading to the door of the kitchen, Ai quietly following behind her. “I prepared some dinner for you; it’s in the fridge, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Go to sleep soon, okay?”

“Okay.”

“And stay home tomorrow if you aren’t feeling well, okay?”

“Okay.”

“And remember tha--”

“Risa, I’ll be fine, really.” Ai laughed. “I’ll behave and rest.”

“Okay…” the younger agreed, sounding almost defeated as they arrived at the main door of the apartment. She put her shoes back on. “Good-night, then.”

“Good-night.”

Ai opened the lock for her, and watched Risa as she walked down the corridor before closing the door. She rested her forehead on its surface, clenching her fists and groaning slightly before making her way back to her room.

She threw herself flat on her bed and contemplated the picture that rested on her bedside table. She sat down and took the frame to examine it carefully. Personally, Ai thought that it wasn’t the best picture that they had ever taken together. But Risa liked it, and had made the frame herself. Ai smiled sadly at the picture, as she dove into the memory of the day when they had taken the picture, and remembering Risa’s confession that day.

Why don’t you get it, Risa?

However, a beeping sound startled her, and woke her up from her daydreaming soon. She took her phone and smiled when she saw the name of the caller.

“Hey,” she greeted.

“What’s up? What are you doing?”

“Nothing special, really,” Ai laughed. “I was watching TV.”

If she had told her what she was really doing the teasing would have been too much to bear with.

“Watching TV on a Friday night?” The voice said amusedly. “I hope I’m not interrupting anything…”

“Of course you aren’t. You know that, as long as it’s you who is calling, I never feel that my plans are getting interrupted.”

“Aw, how sweet!” The other responded cheerfully. “I knew that you did adore me! It’s understandable tough, since I’m so cute!”

“Yeah, sure,” Ai said, trying not to deliberately laugh at the other’s last statement. “Anyway, what did you want?”

“Nah, just wanted to ask how you’re feeling. Everyone has been talking about your incident in the elevator with the ice-queen all day.”

“Ice-queen?” Ai laughed. “Come on, she isn’t that bad, not at all.”

“Yeah,” she agreed. “They said that she was really worried about you… totally hysteric when you fainted, so I guessed that she must be a good one, after all.”

“Really?”

“Well, it seems she has a sense of sensibility.”

“That’s great to hear, I suppose,” Ai said softly. She was growing kind of tired of hearing complains about the ‘ice-queen’… But, then again, the critics against her could have stopped if she had been nicer to people from the start… “Well, whatever, what are we doing tonight? Have you planned something?”

“Tonight?” The other asked surprised. “Well, I thought that you’d stay at home, considering that I don’t think that you’re really okay…”

“I’m fine, really.”

Ai was also growing tired of her friends’ worries about her health.

“And what about your girlfriend?”

“My girlfriend?”

“Yeah, the lawyer.”

“She isn’t my girlfriend,” Ai responded irritated. “How many times do I have to tell you th—“

“I know, I know, okay?” The other burst into laughter, making Ai grumble something that sounded like ‘jerk’ in response. “I was only kidding! Well, I supposed that she was with you…”

“She isn’t,” Ai stated harshly. “I told her to go home and get rest…”

“I’m sure that you told her that you’d stay home…” She responded laughing even more loudly.

“I told her that I’d go to sleep soon, but my white lies aren’t your business.”

“Okay, okay…” The other finally stopped, choosing wisely not to piss off Ai more. “Well, we could go somewhere and have some drinks… maybe we will meet someone cute…”

“Sounds good.”

“But really, are you sure you’re in the mood for that?” She asked showing real concern.

“Yeah, yeah… I’m fine.”

“I’m warning you now: once we’re out, we’re not coming back home until next morning.”

“I’ve slept enough to spend the night outside, believe me.”

“Okay,” the other said, moving back into cheerful mood again. “I’ll pick you up in about… hmm… what about in an hour and we have dinner at my place first?”

“All right, I’ll bring some wine or something to drink to start warming up.”

“Then it’s settled… But watch out what you’re bringing,” she advised in a joking way. “If we drink too much… we could end up sleeping here, you know?”

“Sayu…” Ai grumbled. “That happened once, and won’t happen again…”

“Okay, okay, I get it,” Ai could almost feel her smirking through her phone. “I’ll be there in 60 minutes.”

“See you later then.”

“Until later.”

Ai hung up and looked at the picture that rested in the little table once again. Sayumi’s call had put her in a good mood, but she felt a weird pressure in her chest, probably a result of guilt, just by looking at her friend’s picture.

I’m sorry, Risa… I don’t want to hurt your feelings…

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: Here I am - Chapter 1 (06/11/12)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:49 AM »
Risa gets off to work realize Ai is not really sick only to distract her to the person she is ending up seeing :nervous
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline BlackMeanie

Re: Here I am - Chapter 1 (06/11/12)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »
Okay, I thought that I would be quicker and I wasn't... sorry to those who are still interested in this story, it's just that summer's heat increases laziness  :grin: . Anyway, chapter 2 is here! And it's long enough... Enjoy!

Chapter 2

“God, stuck in an elevator with Tanaka… Scary as hell,” Sayumi laughed loudly, at least loud enough to make herself being noticed by the people sitting at the table next to theirs, who muttered something like sounded way to close to ‘how rude’. Sayumi responded to that with a death glare. “I bet you fainted because you thought that she was going to bite you.”

“Oh, god, she isn’t that bad…” Ai rolled her eyes. “She is just… special.”

“Bad or good, special or ordinary, I just know that the whole agency prefers not to keep contact with her.”

“They exaggerate.”

Sayumi raised an eyebrow at the firmness of her friend’s voice. She had just seen her defend someone so courageously once, one of that unfortunate times when Sayumi, who had probably drunk too much, told Ai what she thought about her relationship with Risa.

But well, she couldn’t blame Ai for defending such a friend.

They knew each other since Ai had came to Tokyo for the first time, before returning to Fukui. She didn’t know anyone, and the other had treated her like if she was family.

But Tanaka? Why?

“Hey,” Sayumi decided to ask Ai directly. “Why do you defend her so much?”

“Nah,” Ai responded lazily while taking a sip at her drink. “I can tell she’s a good girl.”

Sayumi could tell that her friend wasn’t being completely sincere to her. She was about to complain about that, but got distracted by a certain person that was looking at them from the other side of the dimly lit bar.

“Oh my god, look at that one!” Sayumi exclaimed in a hushed tone. “And she’s looking this way…”

Ai turned her head around slightly, enough to catch a good glimpse at the short-haired girl that Sayumi was talking about, but also enough to be discreet and go unnoticed by her.

She was getting good at this. Definitely.

“Wow,” she whispered, moving her head once again to look back at Sayu. “She’s beautiful.”

Ai could swear that she had seen something click in Sayumi’s eyes as the younger sipped on her drink, pretending to be calm and composed. It wouldn’t take Ai a lot of time to figure out that it was pure fury, caused by jealousy.

“I saw her first.” Sayumi muttered under her breath.

“Oh, please. Don’t be such a child,” the older snickered amusedly. “You didn’t see her first,” she finished with a huge smile, which Sayumi found somewhat obnoxious.

“I did see her first!”

“That’s not true! I actually noticed her when she entered the bar… it’s just that she looks more beautiful now that you’re interested in her.”

“Aichan!” Sayumi whined piteously. “That’s not fair! It’s easier for you to find someone… and besides, you’ll always have the lawyer…”

Ai mentally froze at that last sentence. She didn’t like it when Risa’s subject suddenly came up out of nowhere, and she liked it even less when she was out with Sayumi looking forward to meeting new people. She sighed, managing to appear calm, and decided to make up a new plan before the younger started to sulk even more.

“Okay, calm down… Let’s do something new…” Ai spoke up. “I don’t want her to notice us staring… Is she still looking at us?” Sayumi tilted her head to the side a little to see the girl. She nodded slightly. “Good. She was talking to some girl… They’re still talking?”

“Yeah… A friend, maybe?”

“Maybe…” Ai agreed with cheerful voice. “That’s great! We’ll approach them now. The one she talks to first is the winner.”

“Done.”

“Okay, let’s go!” Ai stood up, turned around and was about to start walking towards the pretty girl’s direction when Sayumi took her by the hand, forcing the older to look at her.

“Wait a minute,” she mumbled darkly. “The one who stands nearer to her might have an advantage over the other…”

Ai rolled her eyes and smiled.

“You can have the advantage.”

“Good,” Sayumi grinned. “Let’s go!”

The pair skittered among the very few people that there were in the bar. It was obvious that it wasn’t weekend yet, but the place was crowded enough to have a good amount of people to talk to. Some of them already knew them and threw knowing smiles towards Ai in the way, some others at Sayumi, and some even to them both.

Ai smiled back, of course. Sayumi chose not to. And watching the younger’s election made Ai wonder what was the point behind trying to make so many acquaintances. Why were they there? Why did they do this? Did they need it? Did she needed it?

What had made her go to the bar the first day she entered there, in the first place?

Thinking about that made Ai realise that she couldn’t answer those questions. She shuddered inwardly, but broke from her trance as soon as she noticed that they had already reached their desired destination.

She couldn’t go back now.

“Hi,” the pretty girl spoke up first. “I’m Kamei Eri.”

She looked at Ai, and extended her hand towards her first, even though Sayumi was right beside her. Ai shook hands with her and heard Sayumi muttering something that sounded too much like ‘fuck’.

“Takahashi Ai,” she smiled and decided to introduce the sulking Sayumi as well. “My grumpy friend is called Sayumi.”

“Michishige Sayumi,” the younger remarked with a vindictive tone in her voice as Ai shook hands with the other girl, named Mitsui Aika. She hadn’t lost yet; she would have the chance to show that she was as interesting as Ai might appear at first sight. “Want to have a drink with us?”

“Sure.” Eri smiled at her and Sayumi could feel her knees literally going weak.

A while later they found themselves chatting about random topics that had pretty came up thanks to the natural flow of the conversation, and also thanks to the fact that they were somewhat tipsy at the moment. But they were still sane. Aika had already left; the girl had to attend to some university classes early in the morning.

“Well, what can you tell me about yourselves?” Eri said suddenly.

“Huh?” Sayumi asked, her eloquence had been already left behind, probably also due to the alcohol. Ai laughed.

“I know what you mean, we’ve pretty much only talked about you and Aika,” she smiled at Eri, who nodded enthusiastically in response. “Well, let’s start with our profession: we’re photographers.”

“Really?” The girl asked, seeming pleasantly surprised. “That’s cool, what kind of photographers?”

“We work for a talent’s agency…” Ai explained. “We take photographs of models, idols, singers, entertainers…”

“That’s amazing!”

“It isn’t that amazing, to be honest…” Sayumi laughed. “Sometimes it’s such a pain to work with them…”

“Ah, I can understand that, I guess… Celebrities are pretty eccentric, right?”

“Right,” Ai and Sayumi said at the same time.

“And how did you start working there?”

“Well, it’s a pretty long story…” Ai responded as she scratched the back of her head in what Eri thought it was an adorable way.

“Can’t you make it shorter?” The girl pleaded clapping her hands together.

“Can’t you, Aichan~?” Sayumi impersonated Eri.

“Okay…” Ai sighed before taking a long drink from her glass. She cleared her voice. “Well, I think we haven’t told you yet that we aren’t from Tokyo.”

“I kinda noticed that…” Eri laughed. “You’ve used your accent quite a couple of times…”

“Really? Well… That’s a natural phenomenon, I guess,” Ai smiled amusedly. “I’m from Fukui, and Sayu’s from Yamaguchi, but she moved to Fukui when she was 12.”

“So you met there?” Ai and Sayumi nodded, and the youngest of the three took the lead.

“We attended the same school, and lived near each other… So we became friends, and discovered that we both loved taking photographs,” Sayumi smiled at the distant memories. “We started doing that together.”

“A lot?”

“We didn’t do anything else from photography in our free time,” Ai laughed. “We both knew that we wanted to do this professionally, so when I turned 22 I came to Tokyo. Sayumi was still 19, so I left her behind.”

“You guys seem close,” Eri said turning to look at the younger. “Didn’t you feel sad?”

“I did,” Sayumi nodded. “But well, she was back soon enough.”

“You went back to Fukui?”

“Yeah,” it was Ai’s turn to nod. “I spent here about two years, working for the same agency we work for now, and doing the same thing that I do now. Then I arrived at Fukui again. We spent there another three years trying to pursue some bigger projects of our own but—”

“But it wasn’t as easy as we thought it would be, and we came here to work for the talent agency,” Sayumi finished for her. “It’s not a really creative or artistic work, but the payment is good for our age.”

“How old are you?” Eri asked.

“I’m twenty-eight,” Ai said.

“And I’m twenty-five.” Sayumi grinned, feeling superior for being younger. “And you are…?”

“Twenty-six,” Eri smiled back. “But why did you go back to Fukui then?” She asked Ai suddenly, not quite getting the story.

“Because the work wasn’t that creative,” Ai lied quickly, making a good use of her friend’s earlier explanation.

Eri tilted her head to the side, seeming somewhat unsatisfied with the explanation. She smiled mischievously and Ai raised an eyebrow, even though she didn’t expect what was going to come.

“I bet that you went back to Fukui after breaking up with someone or something.”

Ai showed an expression of utter terror for a moment before starting to laugh nervously. The face that she had showed was absolutely imperceptible for the human eye, but both Sayumi and Ai were photographers, it was their job to analyze expressions, and the younger had known her for a while. Sayumi froze for a second before starting to laugh with the others, but she made a mental note to herself to ask Ai about that later.

She wouldn’t have to wait much, anyway. Eri’s cell rang, and she excused herself for a moment, promising to be back in a few minutes after making a couple of calls.

When she was gone, Sayumi turned to look at her long-time friend.

“I saw your face when Eri joked about that break-up thing…” She said accusingly. “It’s true, right? That’s why you were so weird when you came back… I knew that you were hiding something! But I couldn’t tell what it was…” Ai said nothing, and Sayumi took that as a confirmation. “I thought you weren’t the type that would leave a place after a rupture…”

“It wasn’t like that, alright? I didn’t leave just because of the break-up!” Ai defended herself. “I’m not that stupid…”

“Yeah, whatever…” Sayumi said, finishing her drink in one go. “And… who was it? Do I know her?”

Ai looked down at the table. Suddenly, she felt weak. Maybe she really needed to tell someone about that… maybe it was time to speak about it and move on… Or maybe speaking would make her feel more stuck on her than she was now.

Anyway, Sayumi was her friend. She was fucking annoying sometimes, but she could trust her blindly.

And maybe saying who it was out loud for the first time would make her feel better after all she had gone through.

Or maybe she was just more drunk than what she had initially thought.

“Reina…” she mumbled.

Sayumi’s eyes widened. She had expected to hear the lawyer’s name.

“What?”

“You heard it.”

Sayumi didn’t know what to say. She just wanted to tease her friend a little, give her a hand to help her sort things out with Risa, but now Ai really looked down. And they were talking about Tanaka… What the hell could have happened between those two? How could have it happened in the first place?

“Were you… serious?”

Ai massaged her temples before burying her face in her palms. It took her a while to speak up.

“Yeah…”

“But serious like… Like with the lawyer?” Sayumi inquired.

“No,” she responded firmly. “Gaki’s relationship with me isn’t like that…”She sighed. “And you know that.”

“I don’t mean to be indiscreet, okay?” Sayumi said concerned. “But were you… official?”

Ai rubbed the back of her neck and closed her eyes.

“Technically, yes.”

“So that’s why you didn’t want to come back here, rig--?”

“Listen Sayumi,” she interrupted. “I don’t want to talk about it, okay?”

“Okay, okay,” Sayumi said defensively, but her curiosity had rocketed due to the alcohol. “Just one more question… Why did you break up?”

“It was a complicated relationship…” Ai said concisely.

She was getting angry.

“I understand…” Sayumi nodded. “You know what? I always thought that you weren’t made for compromise… maybe that’s why your relationship failed.” She said, forgetting completely that Ai hated it when someone questioned her capability to act like an adult. “But I’m rooting for you to ask the lawyer out, that would work for sure.”

That was it.

Ai stood up and shot Sayumi a death glare. She didn’t need to be reminded of Risa at that moment. Besides, the temperature was too hot in the bar, she was getting irritated. She was also irritated by the fact that she was there, getting drunk when she should be sorting things out with other people. Not only with Risa and Reina.

She was irritated by herself.

And she was confused.

And tired.

“I’m not in the mood for this, sorry Sayu.”

“Hey, where are you going?” Sayumi stood up too. Ai placed some bills on the table, turned around and started walking towards the door.

“Nowhere…” she responded without looking back.

“Ai? What about Eri?”

“She’s all yours.”

“Hey! Wait up!”

Sayumi ran towards the door and saw Eri still talking on the phone. Ai was nowhere in sight.

Offline darkacex99

• Member+
  • RISA RISA RISA!!!
Re: Here I am - Chapter 2 (07/31/12)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
Oohhhh the long awaited update :) ai's havin some hormonal problems i c  :O she so undecicive XD

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 05:55:12 AM »
Eri as usual makes the story entertaining
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline yellow

• yellow=weird
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • i'm here to read and comment, maybe feedback(?) XD
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »
oh my godness... aichan seem stubborn here over the fact sometimes she needs to be taken care of... and maybe she can consider sayu's advice on going out with motherly gaki  XD

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Takahashi Ai - Yume kara Samete