JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Orange Caramel - Bangkok City

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 338058 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #720 on: May 16, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »
I may have written this before and I apologize for repeating myself, but...

How come everybody can say "Daisuke" and even "Ichiro" correctly but less than 25 percent of American broadcasters can say "Takashi Saito" like they do in Japan?  I'm serious, his name has GOT to be the MOST butchered amongst those from Japan.  More than even the guy on Tampa Bay.

I also saw world soccer news under the "ESPN Deportes" banner.  So that channel doesn't include only Latino stuff?  Will they have sumo hon-basho on that channel? 

And is Milwaukee coming back to earth or is this just a blip on the road to the pennant?  Me thinks it's just a temp slump but the last two losses have gotta hurt.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #721 on: May 16, 2007, 09:31:37 PM »
Brew Crew is tearing it up WTF? Shocker. who do they have? And are you from the area? WELCOME!! We needs more in depth sports takes like yours :cheers:

Where's Thimas at?? His love, Ken Griffey is blasting the FUCK outta the scoreboard.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #722 on: May 16, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »
Hilarious stuff with Junior giving a jockstrap to some guy who milked the publicity on his My Space site.  Both Junior and Vernon Wells, classic comebackers to the hecklers.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #723 on: May 17, 2007, 07:22:37 PM »
^ REALLY?? Geez, they can be so sensitive sometimes lol

Quick take: Ichiro pitching? What can't he do?? And a bit on 'roids

Ichiro: 'Once I Turn 40, I Can Become A Pitcher.'
Posted May 16th 2007 9:08PM by PostmanR
Filed under: Seattle, Mariners, AL West, MLB Gossip

We just posted about Ichiro Suzuki's quotes from Jon Saraceno's USA Today piece on the Seattle outfielder that ran today. For the most part, they were rather odd, as has sort of been Ichiro's calling card since he entered into our consciousness.

But while all the attention seems to be placed squarely on his statements about both Tiger Woods and performance-enhancing drugs, I found this quote to be the most fascinating:
"Once I turn 40," he says, "I can become a pitcher. I'm kind of serious about it. But I'll have to learn to throw a knuckleball. Right now, I could be a 'normal' pitcher," who can top out at 95 mph with a fastball.
I'm not exactly sure why the copy editors at USA Today left "who can top out at 95 mph with a fastball" outside of the quote. Maybe it's an error, or maybe the man who penned this piece, Jon Saraceno, added in those words knowing Ichiro can in fact throw 95 mph. Or maybe I'm just interpreting that wrong. (That's probably what it is.) In any event, let's just pretend Ichiro can throw 95.

WHOA. gotta find this article tho, sounds like a good read

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #724 on: May 17, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »
Didn't Ichiro pitch in high school?  I guess all the best high-school players pitch, play shortstop on alternate days, bat cleanup and hit .550.  I don't think anyone takes him seriously but he DOES have this calming resoluteness about him that makes even something like this seem plausible.

One thing for sure...  if he's gonna go knuckleball he better be practicing EVERY day and throwing off a mound.  I guess it's easier than taking lessons from Dr. Mike Marshall.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #725 on: May 18, 2007, 07:27:19 AM »
LOL!! like my lou piniella impersonation? I know.. it was terrible.

I wonder what Sweet Lou was saying after Thursday's game against the Mets?

His Cubbies blew a FIVE-run lead in the bottom of the 9th and handed a game away to a team that had most of its starters on the bench.  Wright and Delgado hit run-scoring singles in the final frame to win the game, 6-5.

Good vibes for the team from Flushing as they begin an annual obligatory meeting with the Bronx Bombers on Friday.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:30:07 AM by Saburo »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #726 on: May 24, 2007, 12:33:41 AM »
Big OUCH! for Sox fans: Doug Mientkiewicz, whose name I ALWAYS have to double and triple check for spelling, just homered off of Curt Schilling, who donated a bloody sock to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown.

It's now 6-0, top 5th.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #727 on: May 24, 2007, 10:23:15 PM »
Yankee fans: one of your nightmares has now ended.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2880745

I wonder which signing old-skool Yankee fans will loathe more: Pavano, or Dave Collins?

Offline Since1983

• Miki Fujimoto's Sex Slave
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #728 on: May 25, 2007, 06:52:36 AM »
Why is there so much news on the Yankees. They're mediocre this year
Anyone think the Yankee's will make the post-season this year?
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;)

Offline JaisBane

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #729 on: May 27, 2007, 06:48:29 AM »
I do, but I think it'll be a war for them and they'll be lucky to get a wild card.  I'm more concerned about my Cards, they just can't seem to get it together. 20-26? Come on guys, you're killing me.  Beat the nationals tomorrow and then sweep those damn rockies.  I want a Red Sox - Cardinals rematch in the world series >:|

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #730 on: May 28, 2007, 12:44:05 AM »
Why is there so much news on the Yankees. They're mediocre this year

Cause they're the Yankees.  They spend more money than any other team and put guys on the field that everybody knows and loves to BOOOOOO!!  They have a long winning tradition that has been evident in almost every decade in the last 100 years (except, curiously, the 80s, which was an era where no one team truly dominated).  And like a typical reality TV program, the spectacle of failure by famous faces makes for compelling drama.

For so long we've associated "biggest payroll" with "success" and that's certainly what the damn Yanks have done, reaching the post-season every year for well over a decade now.  Did they have the biggest payroll in the mid-to-late 90s when they won four out of five Series titles?  I'll have to check...

Also helps to play in N*E*W Y*O*R*K, home to perhaps the most spoiled fans in baseball, save for maybe Atlanta (where some playoff games aren't sold out) and Boston (still gotta get that Bill Simmons book in paperback).  This is a town that crucified Alex Rodriguez for his 2006 season: .290/.392/.523.  Huh?

Offline Since1983

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #731 on: May 28, 2007, 04:05:27 AM »
Anyone notice how baseball players usually throw their bats in disgust after a pop up but don't do it when they ground out or strike out?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #732 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47:49 PM »
I think this speaks volumes about the N.L. Central division: the Milwaukee Brewers have lost 13 out of 19 games and STILL hold a five-game lead.

Offline Since1983

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #733 on: May 30, 2007, 12:19:22 AM »
Well it just shows the NL central is weak. Check out the AL central, the strongest division in baseball.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #734 on: May 30, 2007, 01:24:16 AM »
Well it just shows the NL central is weak. Check out the AL central, the strongest division in baseball.

And watch out cause the Twins are back at .500, after cutting their usual doofus off-season roster additions.  Sidney Ponson, anyone?!  Ack!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #735 on: May 30, 2007, 09:10:47 AM »

CRAZY ending at Shea on Tuesday night.  Giants scratch a run top 12th but ex-Met closer Armando Benitez just imploded, balking Jose Reyes twice on the bases, resulting in a tie game and then Carlos Delgado sending everybody home with a solo walk-off.

By the way, Tim Lincecum is a mad mutha...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:17:35 AM by Saburo »

Offline Since1983

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #736 on: May 30, 2007, 09:14:35 AM »
Man.. Jose Reyes and David Wright are two of my favorite players. I know NY is Yankee's town but I think the Mets are better or gonna be better.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #737 on: May 30, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »
I think this speaks volumes about the N.L. Central division: the Milwaukee Brewers have lost 13 out of 19 games and STILL hold a five-game lead.

David Pinto pointed out this morning: Just how bad is the NL Central? The Pittsburgh Pirates hold second place this morning.

Go Bucs!

Offline Since1983

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #738 on: June 03, 2007, 07:51:29 AM »
Anyone see the Cubs game where Michael Barrett, the catcher and Carlos Zambrano, pitcher were fighting in the dugout? Guess when you're sucking, these things tend to boil over.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #739 on: June 03, 2007, 08:13:46 AM »
Anyone see the Cubs game where Michael Barrett, the catcher and Carlos Zambrano, pitcher were fighting in the dugout?

Yep, and then Lou Pinella reminded us all on Saturday that he's the nuttiest Cubbie of all.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Orange Caramel - Bangkok City