JPHiP Radio (12/200 @ 96 kbs)     Now playing: kuro - Kuro's Hawaii Show Feb 24 2011

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1002858 times)

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2060 on: July 30, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
^^ I know this isn't exactly helping, but I'm so glad I'm not the only person on this planet who can't pull of the simplest combos or sucks big time on any kind of music game.

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2061 on: July 31, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »
finally figured out why my ps3 was overheating - i guess having it horizontal was the problem, the little vent holes were being covered up  :doh: i stood it up vertically and it was working perfectly (the last few times i tried to use it it seemed to overheat pretty quickly)

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #2062 on: August 01, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
Looking forward to this years gamescom! x3
TWO WEEKS LEFT!

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #2063 on: August 02, 2012, 06:53:16 AM »

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #2064 on: August 02, 2012, 08:06:46 AM »
:tama-mad: I am so sick of fighting games right now, not of the games themselves, but just my inability to play them beyond my simple caveman like style, and any attempt to do anything technical, or even basic practising leads me to actually get WORSE.
Combos are just impossible for me, I can do simple chains where you just have to tap, but 1 frame links can kiss my ass. I have a higher chance of winning the lottery than pulling that shit off.

I just had a lovely fun time on VF5 being destroyed over and over by named players and total beginners button mashing alike, my rank is going nowhere and I'm probably going to rank up to 5th Dan on LOSSES.

MVC2 was ridiculous, everyone beat me, my loss records were over 1000 and my wins were low double digits. I couldn't do any combos no matter how hard I tried, and every cheap trick in the book worked on me, and I was just a punching bag when the combos started. I just stopped playing that in shame.

Tekken 6 was a similar story, I had about 250+ losses and 1 win, that's not even an exaggeration, I couldn't have any fun and people would message me all the time to laugh at me and tell me to change character. Which I did, really pissed off, then I lost even worse than before, yay. I had fun selling that game.

MVC3 was just a fucking joke, the giant loss record was bad enough, but I really was trying hard, even trying to do combos, but I couldn't beat anyone at all, I was the lowest rank, 2nd lowest rank, lowest rank, 2nd lowest rank over and over and over, after a month of playing, over and over, trying hard, nothing works, the characters I like aren't good enough, blah blah blah.
I was glad I got the pre-order comic, because I managed to sell the game on ebay for the same price I paid for it.

SF4 series I don't do badly at exactly, I'm better than a beginner, but I'm getting worse at it the more I play it, I get completely destroyed by fairly simple tactics, and my Honda is essential seeing as you can play him without doing many combos. The only 'advanced' thing I can do is charge move cancel into super, I can't even use Focus attacks, one of the most basic attacks, but any time I use them i just get hit in the face, I don't even know what they DO or what they're FOR, I'm that stupid and dense about these games.

SF4 is the reason I'm mad, yesterday right, for 4 hours, I tried everything, EVERYTHING to do one simple combo, just to practice it, try to get better, I watched youtube videos to copy the timing, I even downloaded the video and zoomed into the joystick of the guy and copied the timing exactly, all that shit? didn't work at all. I even listened to a metronome to try and cheat my way into it, NOPE I get 2 hits and 2 hits only. YAY
This is the combo: #21: [noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_D8PNLzfc#t=1m41s[/noembed]

I just can't do this, or anything else smart. I don't know why!!! is it my age? is there something wrong with my brain? I don't get how everyone else can do this stuff so easy while I'm struggling at every turn.

Music games are another thing, I just can't cope with the speed or even play Guitar Hero on normal, I don't get why others can and I can't :( /rant over

I've definitely got to applaud you for your persistence XD

VF5 is imo the best fighting game around (I guess I'll say best 3D fighting game, since I can't really compare 2D and 3D fighting games), but it can be a real bitch if you don't go in there with the right mindset. Button mashing is effective as hell if your defense isn't up to snuff, or if you're more focused on offense. I can't really say why it is you're losing in these games, obviously, since I haven't seen you play, but the majority of these games are much less about combos and more about zoning, mind games, and using good defense to open up offensive opportunities. I mean, you probably know that, which is I guess the source of your frustration, but sometimes it helps to just slow everything down, take a step back and work on the basics before worrying about combos or other "advanced" tactics. I find a lot of times when I learn a new combo or something I want to try, I fish incredibly hard to try to land it. It ruins everything. Typically you don't learn a combo to go out and use it all the time, you use it if and ONLY if the opportunity presents itself. You either set it up or you punish a mistake, but it's a huge burden to constantly be trying to land that one big combo.

That said, I don't know how long you've been playing fighting games or how much time you've been putting in...I've been playing these games for a while now (not PROFESSIONALLY or anything, I'm not giving Daigo a run for his money or anything :lol:), so I'm used to a lot of the things involved in playing them effectively....maybe you need someone at your skill level equally interested in improving, or someone willing to try and identify holes in your game? I somewhat understand your situation, though, so I know it's not entirely strategy/mindset related. I don't know first-hand, but I have a friend who is constantly beating himself up about being unable to improve. Half the time he either knows his problems and just can't seem to fix them (slow reaction, bad execution, folds under pressure, etc.) and then there are times where he gets blown up and just doesn't understand why. I've been trying to help him out by letting him know what MY mindset is and what weaknesses I'm exploiting to win the match. So far he's told me it has helped, but he still has some problems with regards to the mental aspect of the game, and has all but given up on executing anything fancy. Then there's always the fact that no matter how much I try to improve his game, I'm still trying to win. He tries to use whether or not he beats me as a way to measure his improvement, which I think is wrong XD. Chances are if I'm teaching you the strategy...I know your strategy... :lol:

As for that Honda trial, a lot of those 1-frame links are a real bitch...the first 3 LK should be relatively easy, but it's the LP super cancel that'll be a real problem if you manage to get that far...You might just need to break the combo up into two pieces, LK LK LK and LP -> Super. Adjust the timing of the LK until all 3 land. I dunno if it's the same for most people, but a lot of times when I mess up links it's usually me going too fast. First try to consistently land 2. I know you're already landing 2, but it's so much different when you have a feeling of satisfaction as opposed to raging because the third one didn't land. It's also a load off not having to worry about linking what comes after, and by the time you have to put it together your muscle memory should pick up a decent amount of the slack. When you get 2 in, try adding the third one. Press the button only once. The only trick here is that you have to be able to adjust the timing. If he blocked it, it was too late. If nothing came out, it was too early. Watch Dan's animation closely, and watch Honda closely, it's the same every single time. Try using some sort of visual cue to help you identify when you pressed it, and if it was either too early or too late, adjust accordingly. Typically you want to land it just before he's out of hitstun. Also try to take solace in that fact that it is not exactly an easy link XD.

All I can really say is that your execution should improve with time, provided the time is well spent. Don't be afraid to try something completely different with regards to your timing and the rhythm in which you're pressing the buttons--there's no reason you should be sitting there for 4 hours doing the same thing if it isn't working.

Chances are these are all things you're well aware of and none of it will help, but hey, it's worth a shot XD
No longer El Brandinator on Minus. No Longer all All T-ara all the time. All love tho.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2065 on: August 02, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »

Offline Disco

• Member+
« Reply #2066 on: August 04, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
Professor Layton makes me feel like an idiot. :nervous

Credits to Kawaii Beam for the awesome sig.
Visit my channel!

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #2067 on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:02 AM »
heh Conan O'Brien doing game reviews now. :lol:

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2068 on: August 08, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »
feck yeh i progressed a bit further in the campaign for socom 4  :thumbup

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #2069 on: August 09, 2012, 06:41:18 AM »

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2070 on: August 10, 2012, 03:10:07 AM »
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2071 on: August 12, 2012, 12:58:49 AM »
A 15-year-old Ohio boy collapsed after a four-day Xbox marathon, his parents say.

The boy was holed up in his bedroom for the majority of the weekend playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, a "first-person shooter" game.

According to NBC's Columbus affiliate, the boy collapsed several times on Tuesday, hours after emerging from his room. He was hospitalized and treated for severe dehydration.

Jessie Rawlins, the boy's mother, told WCMH-TV that he turned very pale and his lips "became a disturbing blue color."

"I was very scared," Rawlins said. "I thought he was going to die. He just fell over three times."

The boy is expected to recover, but won't be playing video games anytime soon. "The Xbox is gone," Rawlins said.

Seriously, who let's their kid do something like that? The kid should know better too. Come on dude, put the controller down for a while and do something else for a bit. Course the media is attacking the industry as a case of games being too addicting rather than focus on the shitty parenting.

I'm playing through Catherine and I was wondering why people thought is was an exceptionally difficult game. Fairly tough, died a bunch of times but nothing too hard. But then the 5th day came round and...dude...it's rough. :o
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:07:51 AM by Tuffty »

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #2072 on: August 13, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
Professor Layton makes me feel like an idiot. :nervous

Join the support group, could not get through the game without cheating. orz

Also Conan reviewing games is the best thing ever.  :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2073 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »
Looks like the summer slump is allievated this week with the releases of Darksiders II and Sleeping Dogs, both earning some very good reviews indeed. Thank God because it feels like there's been no noteworth games in ages.

Gamescom is on at the moment, perhaps the most interesting thing to come out thus far is the announcement of a new IP from Capcom called Remember Me. Think Assassin's Creed meets Ghost Trick meets cyberpunk and you'll get the idea

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2074 on: August 15, 2012, 11:32:43 PM »
hybrid is pretty cool, tried the trial, shall be buying the full game soon

EDIT: got the full game yesterday - it's really fun once you get used to the gameplay mechanics and manuevering with the jetpack
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:35:38 AM by john_hung »

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #2075 on: August 17, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »
gamescom is awesome! :'D
I hope, I can go there again tomorrow, if it doesn't end up like last year on Saturday lol

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2076 on: August 18, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
Another day, another fucking embarrasment to the industry. Three different kinds this time!

For one, how about an executive from Asssasins Creed coming out and saying that 'subtle racism' in the industry means that Japanese developers aren't criticised as much for storytelling in video games as their Western competitors are. Says the man being overtly racist.

Or the lead designer behind Borderlands 2 talking about a mode in the game that reduces any sense of skill and calling it the 'Girlfriend mode'.

One of the first skills available in the BFF tree is called Close Enough. This means your bullets that hit walls or other objects, that is, miss their target, have a chance to ricochet off towards the enemy.

"Can't aim? That's not a problem," Hemingway said."

I'm all for a mode that eases people who aren't used to FPS into the game. But call it 'Rookie Mode'. 'Noob Mode'. Not fucking 'Girlfriend Mode'. May as well have said 'Tch, women eh?!. What a fucking clown.

And lastly, the new Splinter Cell game will have a torture scene where you the player must dig a knife into a man's body to get information. The developer calls it a 'tough moral choice'? I find it extremely uncomfortable seeing a game not only encouraging torture, but depicting it as an effective and acceptable method of extracting information.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:04:32 PM by Tuffty »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2077 on: August 19, 2012, 01:47:20 AM »
What's really cool is that Sleeping Dogs seems to wear it's Shenmue influences right on it's sleeves. Not just because it takes place in Hong Kong, but the references are a little more overt like this outfit.

And this is fantastic

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:43:24 AM by Tuffty »

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2078 on: August 21, 2012, 02:57:07 AM »
^ I lost it at "I'm looking for someone that knows Chinese" , given the fact of the game's setting. Fun parody/crossover.
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #2079 on: August 21, 2012, 03:03:15 AM »
Man I'm really getting the urge to play Shenmue 1&2. Unfortunately both of my Dreamcasts are done for and I can't find my og xbox version of 2. I really hope I didn't throw it away. :(

I did pick up Rayman Origins for only 20 bucks. WHERE HAS THIS GAME BEEN ALL MY LIFE. :heart: So amazingly good.

JPHiP Radio (12/200 @ 96 kbs)     Now playing: kuro - Kuro's Hawaii Show Feb 24 2011