JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sakamoto Maaya - Park Amsterdam (The Whole Story)

Author Topic: (Group) Passpo☆  (Read 573337 times)

Offline clem84

• Member+
Re: (Group) Passpo☆
« Reply #1940 on: December 01, 2015, 08:23:20 AM »
A little late on the impressions but anyway.

Overall I wasn't disappointed one bit. Wanted by band Passpo was totally unexpected and a nice surprise. I always felt that since the girls' abilities on the instruments were somewhat limited, that the band songs were written with that in mind. You don't need to be a pro to play Perfect sky or Shiny road let's put it that way. That's why it was a nice surprise to see them do something outside the usual songs. They all did pretty good but I thought Annya was especially good on the drums. She seemed comfortable behind her drum set and she really nailed her parts. And yeah, at times Naomi was struggling a little bit. Nothing too major though.

Me and Rezar agreed that the second show was definitely better. The first one was too talkative for my taste. This is something that will only be a problem for foreigners it would seem as it felt like the rest of the crowd were enjoying those chats. For a while there it looked like the Annya show from my perspective. She was talking the most in between songs and got some big laughs from the crowd on occasions. 

I like the vast majority of their songs but I felt the second show's set was just stronger. The retrospect was nice. Most of the songs were cut short but they did play "I" completely which was amazing. It's such a great live song. Another one I was really looking forward to was "You". It's pretty much my favorite on the last album. They ended up playing it at the very end, on the second encore. It is also a really good live song.

One thing I wasn't prepared for was the "rituals" some of the die hard fans go through during their concerts. Screaming the name of the member who's singing (along with the glowsticks), the front section moving left and right during Step and Go, kneeling during certain parts, which I had no idea why they were doing it but I went along with it to not look like an idiot, and probably tons of other stuff I'm forgetting. I mean I consider myself a fan but these people are FANS. :lol: It was great though. It made the show more enjoyable. You really felt like you were part of something.

Puchi passpo was also a nice surprise. I had no idea they were going to be there. They offered an ok performance but their young age and lack of experience somewhat shows in their performances. Some of those dance moves sure felt stiff. But they were all smiles and really seemed happy to be there so that kinda made up for it. I have to say I'm pretty happy with their song output so far. Of the 5 songs I've heard, there's only one I don't care too much for. The rest are all solid. Their last one is my favorite.

That's all I can think of. It was an awesome day all around, even if a little long.

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #1941 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »
^ Oh yeah the Annya MC'ing I recall you mentioning that, she has been MC'ing the most for a while now and it's not at all unusual to have someone other than the leader MC.
In a couple of groups I know of the leader mainly does the into/outro and important announcements and some other girl does the rest of the MC, I think it's a good way to distribute the "work" and since Aipon is more popular than the rest of the girls together she don't need to be in the spotlight all the time.

Offline mixedmedia

• Member+
« Reply #1942 on: December 01, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
I liked how they had that one fan apologize for doing Awa Odori during Naomi's parts in "Cosmic You" during the first live and then all the fans around him crouched down so he could be spotted by her when he did it!

I was hoping that Makocchan would come out just to sing her lines in "TRACKS" after they had her, Sakoti, and Mushu appear in the animated bit but that was too much to expect, I guess.

Similar to Anya, Ayano from Upga (also purple) talks a lot during MCs even though she's not the leader.

Naomin kind of got lost in the mix during the solos but she had to learn all new parts so that might get better next time? Always thought it was a bit strange that she had the more lead player-looking guitar when she was rhythm but now both her and Yukkii have similar guitars. Yukkii would have looked badass with an Explorer, Flying V, or Les Paul-type of guitar though!

I still don't know the call and response for "Pretty Lie" so I feel you on not being "that much of a fan".

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1943 on: December 01, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »
I was waiting on your review, Clem. I am happy, that you enjoyed it.
The setlist is very important for enjoyment. I always struggle when Passpo performs too much of their idolish material. That Naomi is still not on the level that Sacotee has been was to be expected. Naomi never seemed to have been trained on any lead guitar, just rhythm. The gap between both playing styles is a big one. And as they most probably don't play by ear but by studied sequences. So any mistake makes it hard to get back on track.
Annya is such a great entertainer, I am happy to see her have the initiative. Aipon is much too nice to do something similar.
The kind of fan participation you described is what endears me the most of idol shows. It is so much more fun and you really feel as important part of the show. I am glad to hear from a veteran like mixedmedia, that even he doesn't bother of doing the chants. I tried it but I am much more comfortable with mostly listening/moving accordingly. Remembering the chants always gets me distracted.

But Clem, the other importance of the show you let out of your review: the after show events? How was your impression and how was your meeting with Morishi? ;)

What about other lives?

Favourite Idol: Yanagisawa Ayano
Favourite Groups: PASSPO & Party Rockets GT

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #1944 on: December 01, 2015, 02:40:25 PM »
I was hoping that Makocchan would come out just to sing her lines in "TRACKS" after they had her, Sakoti, and Mushu appear in the animated bit but that was too much to expect, I guess.

LOL, I would have cried so much if that had happened, I'm such a softie.

Offline Jul3

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • 元564
    • Jul3rd
« Reply #1945 on: December 01, 2015, 04:08:18 PM »
One thing I wasn't prepared for was the "rituals" some of the die hard fans go through during their concerts. Screaming the name of the member who's singing (along with the glowsticks), the front section moving left and right during Step and Go, kneeling during certain parts, which I had no idea why they were doing it but I went along with it to not look like an idiot, and probably tons of other stuff I'm forgetting. I mean I consider myself a fan but these people are FANS. :lol: It was great though. It made the show more enjoyable. You really felt like you were part of something.

Nice review! Was this your first idol live?

Chihiro

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #1946 on: December 01, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »
But Clem, the other importance of the show you let out of your review: the after show events? How was your impression and how was your meeting with Morishi? ;)
Here we go again, LOL!

(he didn't get to meet her since there was some confusion as to when the 2shots were to take place)

Offline clem84

• Member+
« Reply #1947 on: December 02, 2015, 04:43:27 AM »

What about other lives?
Yeah that didn't happen. In between the two shows there were people lining up to redeem their benefits tickets. I personally wasn't interested in the handshake thing, but a picture would've been nice. I watched for about 10-15 minutes and nobody was taking pictures so I figured this was probably done at a later time? Like after the second show? I don't know if this is what happened but I can tell you that after the second show, having been on my feet for 12 hours more or less, I had my fill and just wanted to go home :lol: so that's pretty much what happened.

As far as other lives are concerned... Most of the week I was either too busy or too tired at the end of my day to go to lives. I went to the festival-ish thing the night before Passpo. It was at the Shinjuku REnY. Rezar was there. It was actually pretty good. Each idol unit would perform for about 15-20 minutes tops, then they were quickly followed by the next act. No intermissions, nothing. I didn't know any of the groups but it was still fun. Stayed there for about 2 hours.

Nice review! Was this your first idol live?

Is it that obvious?  :lol:

Offline mixedmedia

• Member+
« Reply #1948 on: December 02, 2015, 06:50:43 AM »
Maybe I should have mentioned that there was a free live at Akasaka BLITZ last night with PASSPO as the last group? Sorry.

https://wannabee.jp/projects/15/index

Would have gone except I probably came down with something after sitting outside between the first and second shows on Saturday trying to cool off. I hate how it's become popular to put big prints on the front and/or back of shirts, which makes them not breathe and just collect sweat.

Doesn't help when a lot of places jack up the heat in winter either.

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #1949 on: December 02, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »
^ it wasn't free as such it was a crowdfunded event and I wanted to go but couldn't figure out how to buy a 0 y ticket, there were no buttons to click, maybe because I didn't have a bank-account associated with my account.

I've also gotten sick, but I think I brought it from home just a slight cold so far.

Also since the girls have not even acknowledged the existence of the new "best of" CD's I think I will pass on them (at least for now)

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1950 on: December 02, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
As those CDs feature the Blurays, it will be a must-buy for me.

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #1951 on: December 02, 2015, 09:31:48 AM »
Yeah bought them also for the same reason and according to Amazon Japan the Pop version already was sent out a few hours ago with some other stuff I ordered. Although apparently they must not have enough stock of the Power version because they e-mailed me saying it's not coming until maybe the middle or end of next week. :smhid

Oh and as a side note, is this usual? I kind of assumed they'd hold back on sending anything until they had all the items I ordered in stock. :huhuh

Edit: Amazon Japan just sent me another e-mail saying they estimate I'll get it by the beginning of next week now(or maybe earlier since I think I usually receive my packages before the dates they estimate).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:23:42 AM by iamcrazymike »

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1952 on: December 02, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
Amazon in Germany does the same: Although the option "complete delivery" was chosen, they will still send out articles of the same order individual or in several deliveries. As they don't charge it extra, I am okay with it.

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #1953 on: December 02, 2015, 10:35:28 AM »
Oh, usually they don't send out any of my orders until the pre-order with the latest release date is available.

Edit: I just noticed that Aipon and Morishi retweeted the PASSPO☆ staff twitter's tweet about the 2 collections being released. Does that count as them acknowledging it exists?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:01:15 PM by iamcrazymike »

Offline thewolf

« Reply #1954 on: December 02, 2015, 12:08:57 PM »

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #1955 on: December 02, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »
Edit: I just noticed that Aipon and Morishi retweeted the PASSPO☆ staff twitter's tweet about the 2 collections being released. Does that count as them acknowledging it exists?
Barely.

Btw. as for the new label I like their packaging, I bought the Band Maid CD and it's a nice gate-fold cover and the two discs are in protective covers.

Also I didn't know that Band Maid was also part of Platinum PASSPORT, they need to do some colabs :)

Offline Jul3

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • 元564
    • Jul3rd
« Reply #1956 on: December 02, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »
Yeah that didn't happen. In between the two shows there were people lining up to redeem their benefits tickets. I personally wasn't interested in the handshake thing, but a picture would've been nice. I watched for about 10-15 minutes and nobody was taking pictures so I figured this was probably done at a later time? Like after the second show? I don't know if this is what happened but I can tell you that after the second show, having been on my feet for 12 hours more or less, I had my fill and just wanted to go home :lol: so that's pretty much what happened.

As far as other lives are concerned... Most of the week I was either too busy or too tired at the end of my day to go to lives. I went to the festival-ish thing the night before Passpo. It was at the Shinjuku REnY. Rezar was there. It was actually pretty good. Each idol unit would perform for about 15-20 minutes tops, then they were quickly followed by the next act. No intermissions, nothing. I didn't know any of the groups but it was still fun. Stayed there for about 2 hours.

Yeah, that is the normal way idol lives are - a bunch of groups, only about 15-20mins each.

And yeah, last time I went to Hacchake-tai, I was also so confused about the chekis and missed them. Passpo buppan is confusing.

Also I didn't know that Band Maid was also part of Platinum PASSPORT, they need to do some colabs :)

Mmm, the one time I saw Bandmaid was at a Passpo show, so I kinda just assumed they performed together often. I can't remember if they actually did a song together or not. I don't think so... Bandmaid still confuse me, are they trying to be a real band or idols? And all the maid stuff, like the way they say master/mistress on their twitters, that just throws me...

Chihiro

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #1957 on: December 02, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
Well I guess they kinda are a metal group and idols at the same time, the lyrics for their latest video that is in English is really stupid and sexual, The startling line is "You make me so wet" not sure if their Japanese songs are the same way.

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #1958 on: December 02, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »
Btw. as for the new label I like their packaging, I bought the Band Maid CD and it's a nice gate-fold cover and the two discs are in protective covers.

I didn't know Band-Maid were on Crown, but I definitely knew they were part of Platinum Passport. Also as far as Collabs, so far this is the closest that exists . . .

Bandmaid still confuse me, are they trying to be a real band or idols? And all the maid stuff, like the way they say master/mistress on their twitters, that just throws me...

They are a band, they have never presented themselves as anything else. As for the maid stuff, I look at it like how Scandal in the beginning always dressed in school uniforms.

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1959 on: December 02, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
You bought New Beginning? Cool! It is on my list as well. Would love to attend a show of them.

The Maid identity origins in Miku's job at the time of the founding: She worked as maid. She then asked friends for joining her who also knew friends, Saiki was found via audition - so basically the same story as Queen back then.
You can read this english! interview which answers some of the questions. They are a band, just using the maid appearance as their trademark, similar to those Visual Kei groups in their outfits. We shouldn't confuse out western perception of groups on those in Japan.
With the attention they gathered this year I hope to see them on some European Festival in 2016, maybe Japan Expo or Hyper Japan.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sakamoto Maaya - Park Amsterdam (The Whole Story)