JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Spiral Chord - Distance to Substance

Author Topic: (Group) Passpo☆  (Read 573489 times)

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
Re: (Group) Passpo☆
« Reply #2080 on: January 18, 2016, 10:41:19 AM »
Tsutomo, we are talking about PASSPO and Platinum Agency hear. You really expect them to mak good marketing and such? :lol:

Favourite Idol: Yanagisawa Ayano
Favourite Groups: PASSPO & Party Rockets GT

Offline tsutomo

• My another girlfriend
  • Member+
  • No Idol, No Life
    • tsutomo_BiS
« Reply #2081 on: January 19, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »
yeah, you r sadly right. that agency is a lost cause.

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #2082 on: January 20, 2016, 01:00:03 PM »
The dance version of "Mr. Wednesday" will be released once the normal version has been viewed 50,000 times.... it might be a while :/

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #2083 on: January 20, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
Might be is an understatement . . .

Offline thewolf

« Reply #2084 on: January 23, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #2085 on: January 23, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
Maybe this song will grow on me later, but currently it's a bit underwhelming to me . . .

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #2086 on: January 23, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »
Might be is an understatement . . .
Seems like it got around 5,000 more views since they announced it, if it goes on like this it should reach 50,000 in a couple of weeks

Offline clem84

• Member+
« Reply #2087 on: January 23, 2016, 05:51:33 PM »

Chorus isn't too bad. Overall just average. This song will remain a B side.

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #2088 on: January 23, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
Hm, I don't like the chorus. It is too general and poppy, opposed to the rest of the song structure. The basic instrumentation is great. But I hate horns in rock songs.

Offline hanji

• Member+
« Reply #2089 on: January 23, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »
Musical Party

Hey, it's Black Night* with a bubblegum chorus pasted in the middle!  It's a (cheerful) mess, but I like it somehow, apart from the above mentioned god awful trumpets.

* guitar riff obv. stolen from Deep Purple - Black Night (or rather Ricky Nelson - Summertime to be precise)

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #2090 on: January 26, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
I'm worried.... I'm not really liking the change that has happened with the sound since One World/JetJetJet!

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #2091 on: January 26, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
I totally understand your concerns. I feel the same.
Beef and Chicken wasn't too bad though and didn't abandon their heavier notions. But that little I got from interviews seemed to me like the members wanted to follow a more poppy approach, the so-called American Girls Rock.
I assume that follow-up releases will continue to change between rockier stuff like "Not in Theory" and the more pop-like songs (Mr.Wednesday).

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #2092 on: January 26, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
About "Not in Theory" I'm not sure if Kentaro is writing songs for Band Maid (I know he produced 2 of the songs on the CD) but it sounds more like a Band Maid song than a PASSPO song, in fact I don't think it suits PASSPO at all.

In fact I'm not even worried about PASSPO being heavy or not, I care more about the general style and I hope it isn't all going to be too cheesy, I do like both "Honey Dish" and "Mr. Wednesday" but I wouldn't want a whole album filled with songs like that.

Offline hanji

• Member+
« Reply #2093 on: January 26, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »
As Shiori said in her interview with TGU, 'we can't go on like this'. They're stagnant for the last few years in terms of popularity, so things probably are going to change.

* They're all adults now, so it's probable they have a bigger vote in the musical direction than before. With at least 5 pop girls in the group, it's not hard to guess what that direction will be.
* They're looking for a broader target audience (aka girls) -> resulting in dance versions, gpp's, and cuter songs.
* On the other hand, they have a producer/main composer whose influences are firmly rooted in 80's/90's western (hard)rock.

Resulting in songs where he tries to make everyone happy I guess, but that sound forced/messy/cheesy imo.

About "Not in Theory" I'm not sure if Kentaro is writing songs for Band Maid (I know he produced 2 of the songs on the CD) but it sounds more like a Band Maid song than a PASSPO song, in fact I don't think it suits PASSPO at all.
Yes, these 2, Thrill and Shake that, he composed them as well.

I agree NiT is (almost) heavy metal so more in style with Band Maids album, but what does suit Passpo and what doesn't? HTE is very untypical but a lot of fun imo, Fairy Tale sounds more like Predia... (and Predia's Kiss Kiss Kiss that he also wrote sounds more like Palet, and so on...)
It's not that Passpo has a clear cut musical direction. Please let them try new things, with mixed results.

There are loads of idol songs that don't suit the group that performs them (making them sound almost exactly like another group). Is that a problem or part of the charm of the genre? I think the latter.

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #2094 on: January 26, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
^ remember, it was my opinion, there isn't anything objective about it.

We probably all like PASSPO for different reasons, and I wasn't ever a 'fanboy' type of fan of anyone, so if an artist I like suddenly makes crap music I have no problem dumping them.

I fell in love with PASSPO for the styles on One world/Jetjetjet (quite diverse) so if they stray too far from that sound it's going to be a problem for me.

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #2095 on: January 26, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »
Hanji, I like your persepctive and your reasoning for the change in direction makes sense. As I said, if they keep on mixing the more idoly songs with more straight numbers I am fine. What I would dislike would be the reversion to their earlier output (Take Off, Check-In). But I don't see that, as the group still enjoys to perform their more recent tracks. On a side note, your interpretation of Morishi's interview is consistent with mine and some others theory here over a year ago. They are looking to attract fans again they had during their early years, when their sound was more idolish. At least I can imagine a considerable amount of their early fans wasn't pleased with their change in style in the period of Check-In to One World. But I wasn't a fan then, so I have no idea if it is true.

In the regard to what suits a group and what not: PASSPO is not a group who should stray to far from their path. I disagree with you. In my opinion they definitely established a pretty consistent type of style for them. They are not like Yurumerumo. It would be disastrous for me if they suddenly would perform a wide range of Electro-based songs, for example. Experimentations are fine though, like they did with Final Vision, which is more EDM. Or the Hachake Tai song High Tension Emotion.

Dumping a group if they change their style completely, like Rezar, is something I would consider as well. I did that a lot with (non-idol) groups in the past. Idol groups are a bit different, as at least for me there is the personal conncetion with the group members. But my primary reason for liking any group or band is their music, so I am not sure, if that really would make a difference here.

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #2096 on: January 27, 2016, 07:13:45 AM »
Coincidentally, I also am in the similar predicament of considering "dumping groups for changing styles and/or not appealing to me anymore". Granted I feel like PASSPO☆'s music generally interests me enough that I'm not really worried with them in those regards.

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #2097 on: January 28, 2016, 04:23:01 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about this :nervous . . .

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #2098 on: February 05, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
Almost at 50,000 now, I'm pretty sure Wiru has half the views :)

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #2099 on: February 08, 2016, 04:02:32 AM »
50,000 hit, dance version out!

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Spiral Chord - Distance to Substance