JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nil - Down

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Star Wars: The Old Republic
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »

The Galactic Republic stood for generations as a bastion of peace in a galaxy of warring star systems. Protected by its stalwart Jedi guardians, the Republic held the greatest hope for the progress of civilization and galactic unity. Deep in unknown space, however, a mighty Sith Empire was forged, led by dark Sith Lords who dreamt of galactic domination and vengeance against their ancient Jedi enemies. After centuries of preparation, the time came for the Sith to make their return. With a massive fleet and an awe-inspiring army of fearless troops, the Sith Emperor launched a surprise assault, quickly capturing dozens of worlds in the Outer Rim, and sparking a war unlike any other in the galaxy’s history. From the frozen wastes of Ilum to the desert plains of Dathomir, violent battles killed untold millions. Despite its avowed neutrality, surface structures on the water-covered world of Manaan were completely destroyed, forcing the Selkath to retreat to their ocean underworld. Other star systems fared worse—some destroyed, others left uninhabitable. The carnage concluded with the Sith Empire sacking the Republic's capital planet of Coruscant and forcing the Republic Senate into the controversial Treaty of Coruscant. In the years since the treaty, fear and uncertainty have gripped the galaxy, enabling the Sith Emperor to pursue his own mysterious purposes while the Republic has made efforts to rebuild its infrastructure and adjust military priorities to the new galactic landscape. Now, tensions between the Republic and the Empire are running high, and a series of border skirmishes and proxy wars have broken out, even on planets as historically peaceful as Alderaan. The uneasy truce established by the Treaty of Coruscant is quickly tearing apart at the seams, and a return to all-out war has begun in all but official terms. A new generation of heroes, both light and dark, emerges to face the difficulties of these chaotic times, and fight for the fate of the galaxy in this most desperate age.

Star Wars: The Old Republic (TOR) is an upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game based in the Star Wars universe. Currently in development by BioWare Austin and a supplemental team at BioWare Edmonton, the game was first announced on October 21, 2008 at an invitation-only press event. The Old Republic will be released as a PC title. A novelization related to the game is scheduled to come out "around the game release time." The story takes place in the Star Wars fictional universe shortly after the establishment of a tenuous peace between the re-emergent Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic, 300 years after the events of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games and more than 3,500 years before the events in the Star Wars films. The Jedi are held responsible for the success of the Sith and chose to relocate from Coruscant to Tython, where the Jedi order had been initially founded, to seek guidance from the Force. The Sith control Korriban, where they re-established a Sith Academy. The game begins as new conflicts arise. A collaborative effort between Bioware, Lucasarts and Dark Horse Comics has resulted in a webcomic entitled "Star Wars: The Old Republic: Threat of Peace", the purpose of which is to set up the story as the game opens.

Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 2009 Jedi vs. Sith Trailer [HQ] (Rate This Game)

Ps. Fuck Star Trek Online! :P

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:25:44 PM »
bullshit bullshit bullshit

But yeah, this game does look incredible too. Considering Bioware's reputation, I don't expect it to be anywhere near bad. Loved me some KOTOR, hoping this shapes up in the same vein. :jerk: If so, I might have to pick this over STO

making my STO online post look bad, fffuuu
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:33:28 PM by Amplifier »

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Let’s start this blog off with an introduction. My name is Drew Karpyshyn. I was the lead writer on the original Star Wars™: Knights of the Old Republic™ game, as well as the author of several Star Wars™ novels. And I’m here to tell you about the Jedi Knight character class.
http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20091106_001

Some good shit in those dev blogs :yep:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »
The only MMORPG I've played for longer than 1hr was Star Wars : Galaxies and at first, I thought it was the absolute bee's knees. My own character traversing the likes of Tatooine and other exotic locales with others. But it all went downhill after a certain point once I realised how unattainable being a Jedi character class was to a recreational player like me. If I remember right, each character class had be fully mastered before you could be come a Jedi, requiring a lot of hours. And it wasn't long until the repetition set in and I grew bored of it pretty quick.

Bioware seems to be in a roll lately so I'll have some optimism for it. I'm very curious to see how the moral angle, unique storylines and even cutscenes will work.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
Video Documentary #4 - Combat in The Old Republic :shocked:

Still waiting for proper gameplay videos, though.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »

:shocked:

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 02:34:04 PM »

:hump:

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline Malachite

• 鏡の中のキモヲタ
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 06:00:05 AM »
I'll play anything set in the Star Wars universe. I was still playing SWG as late as September 2008 so you know my standards are low.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 01:18:33 AM »

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
EA: Star Wars: The Old Republic Not Coming Before April 2011
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
Electronic Arts confirmed today that its highly anticipated, Bioware-developed Star Wars MMO, The Old Republic, will be released some time in the company's 2012 fiscal year, which starts in April, 2011.

Speaking at the Credit Suisse 2010 Technology Conference, which Gamasutra listened in on, EA CFO Eric Brown said this was the first time the company had gone on record with this target ship date for the game.

In a May presentation, Brown said the game was "not expected" in fiscal 2010, but today's statement was much more definitive about the release timing, placing it sometime in the nine-month window encompassed by the 2012 fiscal year and the 2011 calendar year.

The newly confirmed release timing doesn't necessarily conflict with a "spring 2011" release target posted by former Bioware Community Leader Sean Dahlberg on The Old Republic's official forums in January. It does, however, seem to eliminate the possibility the game will see a release in the first quarter of the 2011 calendar year, as some still hoped.

First announced in late 2008, EA has said The Old Republic is the largest project in the company's 28 year history, as measured by the total amount spent on development.

Earlier this month, EA took over all publishing and distribution duties for the game, which it had previously been sharing with LucasArts.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31780/EA_Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic_Not_Coming_Before_April_2011.php

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+

Offline jaysonnj

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:38 PM »
For the non North Americans wanting to play SWTOR, just announced hear at NY Comic Con, 12.20.2011 is now the global release date.

Offline jaysonnj

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 07:46:15 AM »
Bioware will be stress testing the SWTOR servers for next month's release so they gave a bunch of sites beta codes for an upcoming testing weekend.

Snatch one up right here: http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/304/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Beta-Key-Handout.html

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nil - Down