JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Alan - Red Cliff (Japanese ver)

Author Topic: [NEWS] Nintendo Power Magazine to cease publication  (Read 4390 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
[NEWS] Nintendo Power Magazine to cease publication
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:35:34 AM »
Man, I remember when KT and I (mostly KT, TBH :nervous) collected these when we were kids.

RIP Nintendo Power: Magazine Shutting Down After 24 Years
By Christina Warren

It looks like Nintendo Power -- one of the longest-running video game publications -- is shutting down.

For more than 23 years the publication has offered monthly coverage of the Nintendo gaming ecosystem. In 2007, Nintendo stopped publishing the magazine and shifted responsibilities to Future Publishing.

As first reported by Ars Technica, the venerable brand is preparing to shut down after Nintendo and Future decided not to renew a publishing contract.

According to Ars Technica's source, Nintendo seemed uninterested in taking over publication of the magazine themselves or in creating more digital initiatives to prolong the health of the brand.

Nintendo Power editors initially tweeted what looked to be confirmation of the magazine's demise but those tweets have now been removed. Writers at Nintendo Power are reportedly being transitioned to other Future publications.

Nintendo Power is just the latest video game magazine to go out of print. In late 2011, GamePro ceased publication after 23 years. In 2009, Ziff Davis stopped publishing Electronic Gaming Monthly -- although the magazine was revived by a different publisher in 2010.

If you were anything like me, large portions of your childhood were spent buried in the pages of the original Nintendo Power. I would spend hours pouring over each issue, reading about upcoming games and existing favorites. The first hundred issues or so are tucked away in my parent's basement, living on as mementos of childhood I'm still unready to discard.

In honor of Nintendo Power's 24 years in print, we've tracked down ten of our favorite covers. From Super Mario Bros. to Metroid to Zelda, we've rounded up some of our favorites from the past.

Click here to view this gallery.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://news.yahoo.com/rip-nintendo-power-magazine-shutting-down-24-years-182014659.html

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: [NEWS] Nintendo Power Magazine to cease publication
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »
Not surprising, really, but sad all the same. I should bust out all my old copies from the shed, and relive the memories.

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:32:33 AM »
I was a subscriber for 13 years, from 1989 to 2002. So many memories of learning as much as I could about games that I would never play, the pleasant surprise of coming home and seeing a new issue in the mail every month, admiring screenshots and map layouts while imagining/anticipating actual gameplay when I wasn't able to play anything, the Nester/Star Fox/Zelda comics...

Sadly, a lack of space at home, changing priorities during college, and the advent of instant information online meant quietly letting go of a huge staple of growing up. While I would never again be enticed to subscribe to any magazine from then on out, it was still nice to see the publication still going, but of course it was only a matter of time before the digital age would claim another legendary print victim.

Thanks for the memories, NP.

FUN FACT: Because of my long-running subscription to the magazine, my cousin used to joke that I "smoke" Nintendo Power as a way to get better playing video games. XD Also, I still have years upon years of issues with me right now in my closet! Can't decide whether to sell them off for big bucks or hold on for sentimental value...
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
Bound to happen, yet still saddens me.

I never actually did it, but it was crazy for people to take a polaroid of a high score in a game and mail it to them to be published.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Alan - Red Cliff (Japanese ver)