JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Thee Michelle Gun Elephant - Get Up Lucy

Author Topic: GOWII promoted by decapitating goat  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
GOWII promoted by decapitating goat
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:48:37 PM »
With the heat Sony's got recently over it's marketing campaigns, it's like someone decided, "How can we make ourselves look even more retarded?"

The stunt itself was, admittedly, very ill concieved, but that's not what bothers me. It's the Daily Mail outrage over an 18 rated video game that aims to 'exploit youngsters'. You don't want to corrupt your own children? Don't buy the game. Simple. I only wish people will see that the industry has moved on since Pac-man. I like this talk about boycotting Sony too. If you're offended by the goat being killed, then I suggest you don't eat meat every day.

I like this comment though:

This is absolute madness!

THIS IS SPARTA!! sorry, but considering the related environment GOW is set in, I just couldn't help it

Offline Fracture

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: GOWII promoted by decapitating goat
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
They're going to promote GTA4 by hijacking a bus and driving it off a bridge.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »
Sony has a penchant for stupid marketing. Remember the ads introducing the White PSP?

Or the scribbled dust bunnies talking 'ghetto' in PSP commercials?

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 12:08:56 AM »
controversies always create sales

sony prolly had that in mind to do just that

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:58:15 AM »
They should do that more often. That way there won't be as many little immature kids trolling the online games.

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 04:42:14 PM »
The Sony spokesman said the animal had not been slaughtered for the event but had been bought from a local butcher by the Greek company hired to stage the event.

What purported to be warm intestines was actually warm offal.

People don't see this? I think there's nothing wrong then.

We eat meat all day. And the meat comes from animals... and to get meat we have to kill it! I'm surprised that this fact can be that traumatizing to some people.

I thought they cut the goat's throat on the set. That'd be kinda gross. And against the law in EU.
coot is ctz

Offline Fracture

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »
Of course they didn't kill it on the spot, that's not really the point.  It's still an extremely tasteless way to market a video game.  What exactly is the connection between animal mutilation and God of War anyway?  Nothing about a severed goat's head makes me want to play video games, the whole thing reeks of a bad publicity stunt. 

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »
Well if the God of War is about greek gods killing people, I think having a goat eaten at the party suits the theme just fine. Ancient partiers didn't buy their meat in a plastic wrap!

People who find it tasteless don't have to buy the game. They can go to McDonalds and have some meat in a form that doesn't remind them it has been a living being.
coot is ctz

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 11:52:26 AM »
People dislike lobster because you can tell it's an animal.

That's always a WTF thing for me. Cows are animals too, and I have a pretty good idea where burgers come from.

Slow roasted goat is also completely awesome, though apparently all they were serving was soup...

I also wonder if this happened in Greece or Russia, or anywhere outside PETA-friendly Britain, where people actually interact with animals whether there would be the same reaction.

None of which makes Sony any better for not anticipating what would happen.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:52:51 AM by Asmodai »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 02:22:55 AM »
It probably symbolized a sacrifice for the gods or something... though I can't recall any goat sacrifices in greek mythology(not like I studied it much in the first place lol)... I don't think they were actually using the goat to sell the product, they probably just thought it would be bad ass to have it lol

I personally don't find much wrong with it, but I can see how many people would. I myself would probably be kinda disgusted at the sight of it. To me, seeing any kind of dead whole mammal would be disturbing really... would've helped a lot if it were already cooked XD

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Thee Michelle Gun Elephant - Get Up Lucy