JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 1TYM - Summer Night (feat. Big Mama)

Author Topic: PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS  (Read 12235 times)

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 12:21:28 AM »
^ Um, what does that have to do with gender?  I'm a girl and I like blowing things up just as much as the next person.  I think it's more of a personality trait rather than a gender trait. :/
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline Holdypaws

PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 01:07:47 AM »
I say go for the DS. It has, almost inarguably, a wider and more varied selection of games than the PSP. I don't think the DS's potential has been realized yet, but there are tons of neat and creative games for it. Plus you can play the few good GBA games on it too, which I find to be very handy.

The PSP is more expensive and not really a great movie (UMDs are expensive and lame) or MP3 player. There are good games, but they're more akin to what you'd find on a home console and I think it's lifespan is going to be a lot shorter than the DS's.

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 01:42:57 AM »
^ I have psp i play games on it everyday, but my UMD drive is collecting dust ;) lol looks like the ds is winning the poll, so its about a  tie i say flip a coin and and get one. :lol:
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 02:57:20 AM »
I've heard that RAW vs. Smackdown for the PSP is really good, so I'm leaning to the PSP.

Too bad that neither the PSP or the DS-Lite allow you to run pirated/downloaded games.  I'm not looking forward to buying $40 games...

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 04:39:37 AM »
I currently own a PSP but often play my friend's DS too, from my experience I can say that each has their strength and weaknesses :

1. Game
the DS's game library is Huge! it has so many good games (and the touch screen is so fun to use), while PSP's game is sometimes just a port of the original PS / PS2 game. however, although in a small quantity, PSP has really good original games (with AWESOME graphics), like MGS portable ops, Loco Roco,  lumines, GTA Vice city stories etc. And  firmware 3 and above can use PS emulator too. And if you like RPG FF7 crisis core is coming up :D

2. multimedia capabilities
I'll have to say PSP wins, hands down. the widescreen display is beautiful, it supports mp3, mp4, wav, flash (usually I can fit 3-4 episodes of hello morning to a 2gb memory stick). the speaker is still a bit better than DS (IMO) though using an earphone is reccomended. yes the DS can play mp3 & movies too (I've tried it) but the small display is a problem.

3. size
PSP is really sexy, but a bit bulky (and heavy), while the DS(esp. DS lite) is compact and lightweight.

4. battery life
my PSP can run about 4-6 hours nonstop (depending on the brightness setting) and only takes 1-2 hours to charge. I don't really know about the DS though.

5. internet browsing
I'll say PSP is better, though it still suck at browsing, since it only has a 2mb cache to store images etc (everytime I open this forum from my PSP it has trouble loading the image because there's not enough storage space)

6. price
PSP is more pricey, not to mention the price for those memory sticks >_< but It's worth it. DS is cheaper.

7. loading time
this is a big issue, because psp takes some time lo load from the umd, while DS loads really fast because it's using card. however my psp plays pirated game from the memory stick so it only takes 1-2 seconds to load, heheh :)

Too bad that neither the PSP or the DS-Lite allow you to run pirated/downloaded games. I'm not looking forward to buying $40 games...

actually both can run pirated games :) for psp check out psp-hacks.com. the DS uses something called supercard, so you put your rom in it, and just insert the card like an original game. the DS has an advantage here because DS roms has an average of 100mb size (most are smaller). while PSP games can go up to 1,7GB in size (like gitaroo man lives) though averagely it's 200-600mb per game. that's why if you plan to have your psp play pirated game it's better to buy 4gb memory stick with it(I have 4gb for games and i bought an extra 2gb stick for my video files).

conclusion:
again, the desicion is up to you, but I recommend you to try them both first, play a few games on each, and decide which one you like better :) they're both great game system.

hope this helps, sorry if it's too long :p

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 06:01:40 AM »
Quote from: chera;293382
I've heard that RAW vs. Smackdown for the PSP is really good, so I'm leaning to the PSP.

Too bad that neither the PSP or the DS-Lite allow you to run pirated/downloaded games.  I'm not looking forward to buying $40 games...

What are you talking about?  PSP lets you run pirated games if you use devhook.
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline cheesesticks

• Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 07:23:49 AM »
The distinction between the DS and PSP is their games. Personally, I feel the DS' collection has a more quirky edge to it.
J'aime le fromage.

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 08:10:47 AM »
Quote from: Gray;293443
What are you talking about?  PSP lets you run pirated games if you use devhook.

yeah when i say homebrew you might as well insert the phrase "pirated games" or backs ups
on psp you can run NES SNES GBA PSX1 CPS2/CPS (Final fight Marvel vs capcom etc. Capcom Arcade) NeoGeo MVS(SNK PLAYMORE Arcade metal slug snk vs capcom etc) Sega Genesis, Neogeo CD....all of those full speed and most work perfectly On DS You're limited to NES SNES(a little slow) and Sega Master System basically. thats the reason why i switched from DS to PSP. Have to admit though DS kicks the shit out of PSP in official Games, and sales overall. But PSP is the better hanheld and its sales are lower because of that people usually don't buy a psp to play psp games. i know i didn't buy myne for that. Yeah and "Pirated games" or backups for DS you have to get a flashcart and a pass key or pass me thing. but usually after every new game comes out, your pass key usually ends up being obsolete., for psp just either upgrade your custom firmware, or get the latest version of devhook. check http://www.psphacking101.com for psp, for ds read up on http://www.gameboy-advance.net/ thats if you want to back your games up etc.

Edit: more back on topic.. I got raw vs smackdown 2007 but never played it because i don't like the roster :lol: i've waited a few weeks for memory saves of created wrestlers.. and I've seen nothing... wth... well now i'm thinking about it. If i don't forget, I'll  check tomorrow for some Created Wrestlers for psp to download.  Cause I don't like The roster at all lol especially the divas.  If I'm not so lazy to look tomorrow, I'll dowload some, and even create me some Hello! Project girls in it and tsunku :lol:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 08:16:07 AM by lilday »
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 10:54:46 AM »
Quote from: lilday;293495
If I'm not so lazy to look tomorrow, I'll dowload some, and even create me some Hello! Project girls in it and tsunku :lol:

:D  RAW vs. Smackdown with the H!P girls!!!!  That's enough of a reason to get the PSP.

I've heard stories that lots of pirated games don't work correctly with the hacked firmware.  But those stories are probably outdated by now.  Seems I can get a new PSP, with the hacked firmware, and a 2MB MS for $295, or an even better deal: a new PSP for just $180.  

The only thing to cringe over with a PSP is having to live with Memory Sticks and not being able to swap them with SD cards.  I own a Treo 650 and have quite an attachment for SD cards.

Offline kaminokami2086

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »
Quote from: Tora;292357
Let's put it this way, if your a girl, get a DS because it's more gamer friendly.  I think more girls will like pick it up and play games rather than shooter and rpg games.  You'll enjoy having fun with the touch screen, playing nintendo dogs, super mario, wario ware..etc.  If your a guy, a psp would be for you just because playstation has more games for the adult and male audience.  Even though the PSP is an mp3 player and can play movies, the battery life sucks, so I'd rather get myself an ipod if I wanted to listen to music.  Though I'm a guy and I have a DS and i'm glad I got one over the psp, becuase now I have more cash in my pocket, :).  Also my DS is my alarm clock too.  It comes in handy.

Tell me what constitutes adult and male games. I'm an adult male and as previous post, I mentioned that PSP has barely anything I want to play.

Offline djnvee

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 11:19:10 PM »
Having owned the PSP since it came out I think its based on preferences. The only time I pick up my PSP is to play Lumines. It has multimedia capabilities but I never really used these features due to screen size.

I think the DS has a bigger selection of fun games. I would rather play my friends DS than pick up my PSP. Too bad all it does is collect dust.

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 01:42:09 AM »
Quote from: chera;293541
Seems I can get a new PSP, with the hacked firmware, and a 2MB MS for $295, or an even better deal: a new PSP for just $180.  

that's a bit expensive! mine is a Ceramic white psp with 3.03 custom firmware, 2gb MS, logitech playgear pocket, earphone etc, 1 UMD and it only cost me around $275.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:00:03 AM by Rick-e »

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 02:34:29 AM »
yeah you're basically getting charged extra because the firmware is hacked. Not too bad. I just don't reccomend paying any more than 300 for the total deal unless you get a 4GB memory stick or something.
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline loash

• ecchi
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 07:32:04 AM »
I have both and I prefer the PSP. Make sure you get a PSP that's either hacked or can be downgraded to install a hacked firmware. A hacked firmware will allow you to run homebrew, play backed up games on your memory stick AND run Playstation games. The newest hacked firmware has a PSX emulator built in and it runs a lot of games with near 100% perfection. It's awesome

Offline 1764

PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 09:00:33 AM »
PSP may appeal more to males and NDS vice versa.

also the lid prevents the machine from getting too much dust trapped in the corners.... PSP gets disgustingly dirty if you don't care for it

Offline randomness

PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »
PSP all the way! best thing playstation has made so far... i heard ps3 is just a rip job though. i'm considering getting the nintendo wii. DS isnt all that great, its so overrated!

Offline thenik

• ecchi
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2007, 10:13:42 AM »
I think everyone's covered it. What it boils down to is better gameplay vs. better tech.

Offline Shinora

• konkonism: the path to enlightenment
  • ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 07:42:06 PM »
i got psp on launch day and the ds lite just this christmas and i gots to say, i've played more with my ds in these 2 months more than i've played with the psp since launch day.  Sure the psp has lots of multimedia fuctions as well as the graphical superiority going for it.  BUT, the thing is that a lot of the psp games are "long term games", making it quite hard to play on the go.  Lets face it, these 2 machines are made for portable gaming, which means while waiting for the bus to come, u can bust out your psp/ds and play it for 5-10 minutes, then tossing it back into your bag.  DS on the other hand has lots of games that can provide short bursts of entertainment, (ie. Nintendogs, EBA/OTO, PuyoPuyo, Meteos) just to name a few.
[
For us Konno fans, logic and evidence can't explain why we love her, or why every day is Konno Day. - Slack

Offline d148lo

• ecchi
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 08:48:23 AM »
well for me gaming isnt just about playing some stupid puzzling games , it has to be fun, and DS with its multiplayer gaming option gives me everything i wanted in a console. well thats just me

Offline tivx

• Beauty To My Ai's
  • ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2007, 06:51:42 AM »
been loving my psp ever since i got it. my friend is getting bored with his nintendo ds ever since he beat FF III & V. he's thinking of selling it for a psp. so psp for me...

R.I.P. Kyle, already missing you man.........

JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 1TYM - Summer Night (feat. Big Mama)