JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Hue

Author Topic: [CHI] Cantonese Opera  (Read 17396 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[CHI] Cantonese Opera
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:26 AM »
Cantonese Opera

Music influenced by My Old Earth!! AKA 大戲 "Dai Hay" you could just walk down the streets of Mong Kok and see a performance. Blast a few chords and it just eases the mind, sing a long and you don't feel a thing.

Cantonese opera is one of the major categories in Chinese opera, originating in southern China's Cantonese culture. It is popular in Guangdong, Guangxi, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Malaysia. Like all versions of Chinese opera, it is a traditional Chinese art form, involving music, singing, martial arts, acrobatics, and acting. Charcterized by over the top dramas, high pitched tones, and dem cymbals. It really is a sight to be seen!

Cantonese opera originated in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), beginning under the reign of the emperor Jiajing (1522-64) and developed through the centuries. Formerly, the music was almost identical to older and more established operatic types, but since the beginning of this century it has become a blend of conventional patterns and fragments from Cantonese folk melodies, popular songs, modern Cantonese instrumental compositions and even Western tunes.

Major names include Yam Kim Fai 任劍輝 Bak Sheut Sin 白雪仙 Kwan Tak Hing 關德興 Sun Ma Sze Tsang 新馬師曾

紫釵記 The Purple Hairpin - 任剑辉,白雪仙

Here's a recording I jacked from asianclassicalmp3.org

The play is "Tang Kung Han Si," or Dreadful History in the Tang Chambers. The story is the well known tragedy of Emperor Ming (Tang Ming Wong) and Concubine Yang (Yang Quai Fei). Emperor Ming, while in mournng for his wife the Empress, is entranced by one of his 3,000 concubines. He falls so much in love with Concubine Yang that the affairs of state deteriorate. A rebellion begins led by the rebel On Luk San. In the midst of warfare, the Emperror's generals demand that Concubine Yang be put to death before they will pledge loyalty to him. At the end, he bids farewell and she is killed.

The performance is by the Hong Kong Golden Voices ensemble. The performers include Ma Yok Ling (Concubine Yang), Tsung Wan San (Emperor Ming), Lei Kam Chung (Go Lek Si), Leung Kam Ko (On Luk San) and Lo Lai (Concubine Mui). The arranger and music director is Chue Kong.

1. Emperor Ming peers into the imperial bathhouse
2. Tender moments in the Forbidden Chamber
3. Concubine Mui wails in the lonely chamber
4. Yang and Mui fight for the Emperor's love
5. On Luk San enters the city
6. Concubine Yang is put to death

DOWNLOAD
http://sharebee.com/dcb1f514

Also seen in Stephen Chow spoofs.
周星馳 整蠱專家 "Tricky Brains" Very Funny Song

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [CHI] Cantonese Opera
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »
LOL GJ! Damn, I guess this means I finally gotta post that Shaw Bros thread XD

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »
And I'll make the The Don Johnson Band  thread XD

My mom's most favorite line is that "YET AH YEEP! HING JOU HEUI AH!!" If only I knew what opera, who sang it...

Check this out, subtitles in 10 different languages lol
Masterpieces of Hong Kong Opera - "The White Dragon Pass" (In Cantonese+other subs)

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 06:22:06 AM »
some shit I ripped from these cassettes my gramps gave my mom. Classic legendary shit. "Dai Leui Fah" - the one opera I know by name. Starring 白雪仙 and others. Features ... THE FOUNDATION OF RAP!! Pure MCing to a beat. check it out:

Dai Leui Fah - No.1 _Part 1
http://www.twitter.com/?d=Q777YCAX

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 11:22:47 AM »
Here's the CLASSIC 旗開得勝鳳和鳴 saw it on Fairchild TV and was LIKE BAM!! I know these tunes.

旗開得勝鳳和鳴情俠鬧旋宮)

旗開得勝鳳和鳴(情俠鬧旋宮)(2)

Stars the Legendary 林家聲 Lam Kar Sing

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
this is like an adaptation of the originals.... with dialogs in english XD not bad, isn't a crime right?

cantonese opera Never Say Goodbye

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:35:20 PM »
^ WERD SHURA you  stumbled upon the classic like me....cuz :panic:

ah ha!! Found the title to the classic opera of all time "Dai Leui Fah" aka 帝女花 aka "Flower Princess" that I've been playing on the Communist Propaganda Hour, the tapes my mom left for me passed down from my grandfather. You may have seen me post pix of the soy sauce soaked tapes above. :thumbup

Floral Princess (or the Princess Changping) is one of the most beloved Cantonese Opera for all times.  It is a tragic love story of Princess Changping, the daughter of the last Emperor of Ming Dynasty, and Zhou Xixian, a talented scholar and son of a high official. On the day thte princess is supposed to be wedded to Zhou, she is ordered by her father, the emperor, to give up her life for the honour of the royal family. It is an order that is hard to defy as the dynasty is on the brink of destruction but it is also one which is difficult to come to terms with. So which path the 15-year-old is going to take?

The heart-rending story, the melodic musical scores and the beauty of the scripts all made this Cantonese opera, penned by Tong Tik-seng, an instant success when it was premiered at the Lee Theatre in 1957.

The whole recordings (go the user's channel for more parts: http://www.youtube.com/user/coold4pc) featuring the legendary stars Yam Kim Fai and Bak Sheut Sin of the 1950s.

The original actors, yes they were both women playing the male and female:

The movie version, in 1975, directed by John Woo (WERD, HIM) and starred Long Jin-seng and Mei Xue-si, disciples of Yam Kim Fai and Bak Sheut Sin.

cop it:
http://www.multiupload.com/EK1VUGII46
password: accatone

They even translated the text:
http://www.chineseupress.com/asp/e_Book_card.asp?BookID=2742&lang=C

This is the Cantonese Opera house (the only one left of its kind, in Hong Kong) Sunbeam Theatre (Chinese: 新光戲院) that Moms used to go to check out plays, when my uncle had free tix, so moms and aunt went and had better seats than some celebs lol:

A Hong Kong landmark! the site: http://www.ua-sunbeam.com/index.htm

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 08:46:13 AM »
Fresh new Canto Opera! Alive and well in your hood!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 07:28:56 AM »
so it's mando but..... Mid Autumn Concert in China!!! 2010央视中秋晚会  from 2010-09-22

you'd love it Mom!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:09:53 AM »
Classic opera! IN FULL!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »
Connie Chan 陳寶珠 will give 10 performances Apr.18-27 at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre

GET DA TIX: http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/CulturalService/Programme/en/chinese_opera/index.html

here's a taste:

one of the long time players in the game! lol at the subtitles:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »
A GEM!!! one of the classics in full for you:

洛神 The Fairy Of Luoshui

洛神 "The Fairy of Luoshui" is another well-known Cantonese Opera by Yam Kim Fai 任剑辉 and top opera diva Fong Yim Fun 芳艳芬. The historical tale takes place during the warring period of China's three kingdoms.

Cao Cao, a warrior who proclaimed himself king, had captured other kingdoms and killed thousands. He had many sons, two of which feature in this love story. Cao Bi, his elder son was a warrior like him. 3rd son, Cao zhi Jian was a romantic. A prisoner of war, a beautiful, learned woman was brought back and allowed many special privileges.

Cao Zhi Jian, well-known poet, fell in love with this lovely widow staying at the palace grounds. Zhi Jian engaged a matchmaker to speak to the elder Cao. However, the matchmaker persuaded the elder Cao to let another son, Cao Bi marry the lovely Zhen Bu. His intention was to let his own daughter marry the famous poet of the Cao family.

When Zhi Jian's mother knew about the match, she could see trouble brewing, but there was not much she could do.

Real full of passion and well acted. If you want to see "Red Cliff" in opera form, THIS IS IT!! subtitled, pieces :hip smile:

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Hue