JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Zazen Boys - I Don`t Wanna Be With You

Author Topic: ebc's MPG/VOB to AVI encoding guide using Gordian Knot  (Read 38191 times)

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
ebc's MPG/VOB to AVI encoding guide using Gordian Knot
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 10:14:14 AM »
Thank you for the guide!!! ebc. :D

I juz managed to rip GAM's ~Melodies~ vob into avi format & it plays perfectly & almost has the same quality as the vob format. The only downside is that the video resolution cannot be customised. My video is 640x464 but i wanted to encode it to 640x480(standard format) or 720x404. :( Is there a way to customise it?

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 10:22:19 AM »
^ you can change resolution in the resolution tab.  I think you used the wrong aspect ratio, hence the weird 640x464.  for dvd the aspect ratio is 0.889.

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »
Thank you, Ohbhasan.
I juz managed to customise it to 640x480 :), however i encoded audio to 192kps but it gave me 120kps after encoding :confused:

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »
I noticed after i applied ebc's setting, the initial few mins of the video quality is ok but after that the picture starts to run blurry, What could have been wrong?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
ERROR!
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2006, 11:15:23 AM »
I tried to encode something tonight but after going through the same step-by-step procedure as outlined above and just as the video encoding process began, I got this error box:

What the fuck?!!  Something changed between now and the last time I used the program but what?

Blah, blah......

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2006, 12:29:42 PM »
Hmm it could be a few different problems, you'd have to try a few things.

Try downloading and reinstalling Avisynth
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57023

Try reinstalling a new Virtualdubmod, make sure it's in the same path as the one that GordianKnot wants to use, usually it's in the GordianKnot folder in Program Files.

Try to think of any updates or new installs of video codecs.

Lastly all I can say is sometimes it's badluck with this kind of thing. It's just one of those things that can happen when all different kinds of free software try to work toghether. Sometimes one thing might be different and cause it all not to work and it's a matter of trial an error to fix the problem.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2006, 11:29:34 PM »
Quote from: ebc;242539
Hmm it could be a few different problems, you'd have to try a few things.

Thanks for the response, ebc!

Boy, I got SO much crap installed on this old PC of mine, it's a challenge just sorting the codecs!  It's very possible I deleted some component of the food chain.

I'll try reinstalling everything later today or tomorrow.  Thanks again for helping.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2006, 08:49:25 PM »
Hey ebc. I'll put these questions here with screen caps :P

I think I figured out my MPEG2 => AVI re-encode. I put in the wrong input resolution XD

Kept getting confused with DGI's screen haha

my other questions were:

How do you take an AVI with wack codec encodes (like those 10__x7__ Hello Morning, the indivudal lives on Jpopsuki) and re-encode to XVid (or DivX)?

How do you take an ISO sitting on your hard drive and take out the VOBs? Some program like ISO buster?

You can answer when u get back!!! Get pimpin :pimp:

Offline Sukebei

• Member+
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2006, 01:51:16 AM »
I can help with the vob question daigong...to get out the invidual vobs from an iso, I use DVD Decrypter.  Youll first need to mount the ISO using daemon tools or alcohol 120%, then open the disc with DVD Decrypter.  I can't link directly to DVD Decrypter, but if you go to http://www.doom9.org/ and then to downloads, it's under descrambling/ripping tools.  I'll get a screen here:

So just choose the virtual drive as your source (or physical drive if you have a real DVD), then choose select vob files, and if you want deselect video_ts.vob and vts_1_0.vob as those are like menu crap that'll just give you empty files.  Then, go to settings under tools, and in the file mode tab, choose either file split by cell ID or vob ID.  Generally I'd keep it on vob ID, but sometimes like on concert dvd's and such, you go by cell ID they'll be split into songs etc.  Cell ID is sort of like split by chapters, vob ID is like split by major sections.  Basicall just do vob ID and if that doesn't get them split how you want try cell ID.  Anyway after you choose your split method just hit the big decrypt button in the lower left, then choose your output destination and ur done! Then wait and dance when the music plays :D

As far as the re-encoding goes, if the file is an AVI, you could just try opening it with virtualdub/mod, and assuming it's not some really retarded codec and it opens without error, you can re-encode with vdub.  Although I wouldn't recommend re-encoding unless the source AVI has an over-inflated bitrate and you want to lower it, or you need to convert it to make it compatible with stuff.  If you really need to convert it and vdub doesn't work, there are ghetto converting programs that would work but they'll generally jack the file up gud.  VLC can trasncode files if your desperate.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 01:57:47 AM by Sukebei »
Other FFDShow Guides/Templates: Link1 Link2

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »
Thanks Sukebei, I'll try to mess with the ISOs. I have DVD Decrypter from the Gordian Knot package :D I'll write my progress here!

I'm also wondering....about my encodes from an MPEG2 (dimensions above) ... it encodes smooth for the first 5 minutes then goes all choppy and fuzzy. I figured it was cuz I was running other shit but nah....:?

Offline Sukebei

• Member+
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2006, 09:00:49 AM »
By choppy and fuzzy what are you referring to, your encoding speed or the finished product's quality?  If you mean the video quality I'm not really sure, I'd double check all your settings.  If you mean your encoding speed, running other programs can slow your speed.  If you don't use your system at full capacity a lot, and you've only noticed this when encoding, you may have a system stability issue (overheating etc.).
Other FFDShow Guides/Templates: Link1 Link2

Offline nachdenki

• Member+
  • 桃子はひっぱりだこ
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
when I encode something using this guide, it works quite good but the beginning  of what I am trying to encode turns out to be like this always:

It's like two frames long and then everything looks tasty D:
anyone knows what I can do to get rid of that?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:25:11 PM by nachdenki »
ChrNo, I hope you are happy
Support your favorite group, buy CDs, DVDs and merch.
Then make your favorite happy and show off your support in the h!p collection thread
momochi tumblr | berikyuu tumblr

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
^Does that happen with all xvid files that you try to play back?

Try using Divx to encode with instead to see if it still does it or not.

I used to have a problem with xvid's doing that when I used a certain decoder to play them back. Try downloading and installing a new Xvid codec or try maybe using divx and see if that works.

Offline nachdenki

• Member+
  • 桃子はひっぱりだこ
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2007, 09:01:15 PM »
Thx for your help.
I tried to encode it with Divx and was having the same problem.
So I thought about it once again and noticed that the only thing that was different from the guide was, that I hadn't extracted the vobs using NFO mode (I didn't want to because of disk space usage :P ).
I did that now and everything works fine. :D
ChrNo, I hope you are happy
Support your favorite group, buy CDs, DVDs and merch.
Then make your favorite happy and show off your support in the h!p collection thread
momochi tumblr | berikyuu tumblr

Offline momo23

• Member+
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2007, 05:14:17 AM »
does anyone know how to make a 59 FPS AVI file in Gordian Knot?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:31:00 AM by momo23 »

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2007, 05:36:43 AM »
I use an avs script that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\kerneldeint140.dll")
mpeg2source("C:\Video Encoding Folder\Hello Morning 070318.d2v")
kernelbob(5)

function kernelbob(clip a, int th)
{ ord = getparity(a) ? 1 : 0
f=a.kerneldeint(order=ord, sharp=true, twoway=true, threshold=th)
e=a.separatefields.trim(1,0).weave.kerneldeint(order=1-ord, sharp=true, twoway=true, threshold=th)
interleave(f,e).assumeframebased
}

That might just fly straight over your head but otherwise the process is a little complicated.
The trick is to make the script first and then load it into gordianknot, then go through the steps as normal except when it asks you to choose the deinterlacing, you choose none cause you've already done that step with the script.

The script requires kerneldeint140.dll cause kernelbob only seems to support old versions of kerneldeint, for some reason the latest one doesn't work.
There are also other methods for outputting at doublerate. I've tried a couple but I've found this script to give nicer results.
There is a method that lajonski uses which does give the best results but it slows the encoding time down to barely 1fps hehe I'm just too impatient to wait 24hours for something to encode.

Offline momo23

• Member+
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2007, 05:49:44 AM »
how do I create an avs script?  and where can I find kerneldeint140.dll?

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2007, 06:28:08 AM »
Quote from: momo23;336045
how do I create an avs script?
Very simple, make a txt file in notepad, put in your script and then save it with the extension .avs (instead of .txt)
You can also get special avisynth editors to help make them if you search around. Otherwise notepad is fine.

You might need to start reading up about it further, here: http://avisynth.org/index.php?page=Avisynth

And also there's plenty of threads to read here: http://forum.doom9.org/

I uploaded the kerneldeint140 file here http://www.eyeballcancer.com/blah/

Offline SacredCultivator

• AYO T-ara~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: ebc's MPG/VOB to AVI encoding guide using Gordian Knot
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Hmm during the step you get to put the output resolution, it doens't show the res of the original video file which is 852x480.

And bleh hehe by instlaling GKnot it messed with my VDub settings and well can't seem to revert them back to what I had ><

Other than that nice guide and I hope that in combining the 4 .vobs I have it will work...

Oh and is it possible by chance to do something like this with vdub? In terms of combining multiple .vobs

Hello!Fansub's is recruiting Translators / Karaoke Typesetters, if interested PM me.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
Re: ebc's MPG/VOB to AVI encoding guide using Gordian Knot
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »
1 vob 2 vob, shouldn't make a difference. All handling of vob files is done with dgindex so as long as you've loaded the vobs into that in the right order and you've saved the d2v project file then that can be opened in gordian knot. Or in your case if you want to use virtualdub you can make an avs file with the following code in it:
Code: [Select]
LoadPlugin("C:\path to\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
mpeg2source("F:\blah\blahdvd.d2v")
usual path to dgmpg is C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll

The resolution of the original file is listed under input resolution. If it's a DVD then it'll either say PAL or NTSC depending on that type. If it's a custom resolution like 852x480 then it should automatically put itself in "other".
852x480 is a typical non-anamorphic res so where it says input pixel aspect ratio you'd tick 1:1 otherwise if your simply trying to rip a DVD your choices will be 16:9 or 4:3 depending on if it's widescreen or not.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 01:08:29 PM by ebc »

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Zazen Boys - I Don`t Wanna Be With You