JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bob Sapp - SAPP TIME!

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 340709 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #900 on: April 07, 2008, 11:17:35 AM »
Do the World Champs play the Tigers in their home opener?  Might be an even matchup for both teams, being that Boston is jetlagged to the max and Detroit's still winless on the season.

Rays took two outta three in The Bronx -- I'm waiting for the next flareup of tempers between those two teams!

Offline Kamesan

• Member+
« Reply #901 on: April 09, 2008, 12:22:28 AM »
I'm shocked by the Tigers poor start this season. It's early and everything but they're playing like a last place team.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #902 on: April 09, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »
Yup, Detroit gave up a LOT to get Cabrerra/Willis and win NOW, selling a lotta season tickets in the process.

David Pinto at "Baseball Musings" broke down the math:

At 0-7, it's time to seriously reconsider the notion that the Tigers are a playoff caliber team. A 90 win team has a .555 winning percentage. The chance of a .555 team going 0-7 is .0035, or 0.35%. In other words, playoff teams tend not to lose seven games in a row.

They're not barely over two runs per game, having scored 15 on the year. It's tough to blame this on the absence of Granderson, since Inge has hit well in his stead.

Offline Kamesan

• Member+
« Reply #903 on: April 16, 2008, 09:10:19 AM »
The Cardinals are off to a nice start but will their starting pitching hold up? Not likely.

Alfonso Soriano is hurt.  :cry:

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #904 on: April 16, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »
Dang, Soriano looks as if he hurt the same leg from last year.  Except last year it was running the bases.  THIS year he was catching what looked to be a routine fly ball.  Ugh.

I'm sure everybody has noticed that David Ortiz has kinda-sorta bumped his average some ever since they dug up his jersey from the concrete of the NEW New Yankee Stadium.

I read someplace that there have been almost 10,000 unsolved murders in New York but the buried Sox jersey just HAD to be dealt with immediately.

PPPrrrffffftttt . . .

Offline Kamesan

• Member+
« Reply #905 on: April 24, 2008, 12:09:48 PM »
John Smoltz got his 3,000th strikeout on Tuesday. The Cubs won their 10,000th game yesterday.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #906 on: May 01, 2008, 05:58:04 PM »
OT: anyone following the "Mainstream Media vs. Bloggers" battle on the HBO "Costas Now" program?  I'm tempted to watch but not sure I can stomach the spectacle of Will Leitch getting yelled at by someone (Buzz Bissinger) with no manners.  Also it appeared that Bob Costas, already on the record as anti-blog, took more subtle jabs at Leitch.

This shit NEVER ends, y'know.  The battle between old and new.  Wasn't Elvis supposed to drag western civilization into the mud?  Or was that Jimi Hendrix, the newest "sex tape" victim? (prolly a hoax but what the hell!)  Shouldn't Al Gore come in and mediate this fracas?

And how come the print media vs. online bloggers battle is sports related?  Oh yeah it's Bob Costas but his "Later" interview program from the 80s wasn't limited to sports...

Blah, blah, blah....

/rant

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #907 on: May 11, 2008, 06:36:59 AM »
Greg Maddux got his 350th win tonight in San Diego, the 9th pitcher in MLB history to do so.  I think only Warren Spahn, Rocket and the Mad Dog pitched after WWII.

6 IP, 0 ER, 60-something pitches.  Amazing career.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #909 on: May 14, 2008, 08:51:11 AM »
Oshit. Daisuki Pt 2, eh?? Is it possible.

Congrats to Maddux and Smotlz!! Too bad Glavine will never hit that mark, he's still rocking it in Atlanta?

The Rays have gotta be the WTF story of the month. Contenders? We'll see but still, lots of weapons now. To think they were gonna sign Bonds.

I'm STILL ROFLing over A-Rod passing out at the birth of his baby. Oh the stories from the Bronx XD

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #910 on: May 20, 2008, 08:49:53 AM »
How bout Manny being Manny?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dBWsyqne9JE

Interleague weekend went well for the Yanks. BLOW OUT!! Good thing A-Rod's coming back, that gold thong Giambi been passing around ain't working

Offline nixor6

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #911 on: May 20, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »
Yankees Suck!  I was at the yankees-mets game on sunday and it was INTENSE.  Yanks fans leaving in droves from their own stadium.  I saw soooo many people get kicked out after starting shouting matches in the stands.  Good thing I'm a Mets fan!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #912 on: May 20, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »
Yanks fans leaving in droves from their own stadium.  I saw soooo many people get kicked out after starting shouting matches in the stands.  Good thing I'm a Mets fan!

Dang...  You Tube is full of fight videos at Yankee Stadium.  Just the thing you pay $30-$50 to see...

From a historical perspective, the Yanks have had complete collapses such as this: A.L. pennant one year, second division the next.  Of course this was in the mid-sixties, way before the Steinbrenner regime, a varied media mix ("Buzz vs. the Blogs!"), and a $200 million-plus payroll.  In this atmosphere, the Yanks can never undergo a "rebuilding" phase.  In a new stadium?!!

Contrasted with the Red Sox in first place, Jon Lester's amazing no-hitter last night (wasn't he part of a bundle offered to the Twins for Johan?) and the TAMPA BAY RAYS, period...  what's a Yankee fan to do? 

Ride it out, I say.  Give them the benefit of the doubt.  At least they're not what the Tigers have become.
_______

On ESPN last week, there was an online poll for the week's Web Gems.  Manny's high five in the Camden Yards outfield was #1, followed by Asdrubal Cabrerra's UNASSISTED triple play.

Huh?  I think there have been less than twenty of them all-in-one triple plays in the history of friggin' baseball.  I don't think high fives with the fans is an official stat but I guess that speaks for ESPN Nation more than anything.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #913 on: June 01, 2008, 09:28:40 AM »
Filled out another ESPN Sportsnation poll, for all the good it will do...

This one was on current players and their chances for the Hall of Fame.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #914 on: June 01, 2008, 10:06:26 AM »
That's a tough poll. HOF is about stats? Championships? Character? All of the above?

Pedro Martinez shoulda got more votes, fuck Jeff Kent tho I think he has the 2B records. Pujos hmmm. What about him? Here he takes out San Diego singlehandedly.

JUNIOR!! One away from 600!! Griffey is going in for sure.

Somewhere, Thimmy is getting excited :)

This story is hilarious. The indie league team from Calgary traded a player for bats
http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=70961

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #915 on: June 02, 2008, 04:59:37 AM »
Baseball HOF is more screwed up than basketball or football.  Internal politicking and mainstream media sportswriters with holier-than-thou hypocracy have made the institution irrelevant and a bore.

Evaluating talent in MLB is a diverse science but not that difficult to grasp.  Unfortunately the people in charge still use antiquated methods (i.e. 1950s methodology) of deciding who merits inclusion in the hallowed hall.  They're fuckin' idiots.

Kudos to Junior.  Too bad he couldn't have cranked #600 this weekend in Cincy.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #916 on: June 09, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »
I read on Deadspin just now that Barry Zito of the Giants won his second game of the season on Sunday against the D.C. Nats.  What's kinda embarassing is that I totally missed Zito's FIRST win -- I had to lookitup.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #917 on: June 16, 2008, 08:54:06 AM »
Bull Durham, perhaps the greatest SPORTS movie of all time, is now 20 years old.  It's still entertaining and relevant today, a testament to its awesome script by director Ron Shelton.

ESPN The Magazine interviewed some of the major players and looked back on this great movie.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #918 on: June 17, 2008, 06:20:06 PM »
Willie Randolph got fired as manager of the NY Mets over night.  Crazy days to follow!

Buster Olney takes apart the Mets' front office.  Whatta mess!

If there are any fans of the Mets here, you have my sympathies.  Even the Yanks, with Hank Steinbrenner and all, look like the classier act in New York.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #919 on: June 27, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »
Kansas City-based reporter and blogger extraordinaire Joe Posnanski makes the case for the Royals to sign Barry Bonds.

I especially love this bit in his concluding paragraph: Baseball has kicked the Royals in the teeth for about 20 years now. I would sign Barry Bonds. I would kick back.

However, it will NEVER happen...

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bob Sapp - SAPP TIME!