JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Fat na Kare

Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 21876 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 01:58:19 AM »
There's absolutely a story! In fact, it's perhaps the only zombie story I've seen thus far that really places the emphasis on the story and the characters. So much so, that the killing zombies part of it is secondary.

Imagine if you will, a man wakes up in a hospital bed and soon discovers there's nobody in it. Nobody that is, except for reanimated corpses intent of eating him. He escapes with his life but realises the whole world's gone downhill as he wanders around. There's nobody around and sees more and more corpses, reanimated or otherwise, line the streets. He's all alone, and he's wondering if his wife and son survived. That's the initial premise at least, and it would be criminal of me to say anymore. But needless to say, the story revolves around just how do people continue to go on living their lives in the aftermath of such a terrible disaster and what it takes to survive in this setting. Watch the 1st episode at least, it's paced perfectly and is perhaps one of the best episodes you'll ever see.

Offline mjolnir870

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 06:39:54 AM »
That was almost exactly what I was hoping to hear! Shaun of the Dead also used zombies as secondary to the real plot of Shaun trying to put his life in order. I'll give it a go. Have you read the comics as well, and if so, can you comment on them?

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 09:18:49 PM »
Sadly no, although they're meant to be amazing. Apparently there are differences between the show and the comics.

Sadly, Frank Darabont has left the series. Rumour has it he'll still be involved in some capacity just not in a leadership role. A shame, but have to be thankful to him for getting the adaptation on TV in the first place.

Here's the Season 2 trailer and I just cannot wait til October

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
A bunch of webisodes in preparation for Season 2 have just been released today. All takes place before Season 1. It's short and it's definately not sweet. I'm not going to spam the topic with all 6 of them so here's the first one, the links to the rest are on the sidebar:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
^ IT'S SO SAD!!! TT___TT

The acting wasn't great tho, particularly the dad :lol:
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 10:19:24 PM »
The acting wasn't great tho, particularly the dad :lol:

You noticed it too? Shi you're awesome :lol:

Well no biggie, it's webisodes after all. Although I hope the supposed budget cut hasn't affected the quality of actors :lol:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
Reminds me I've rewatched the Silent Hill movie since watching season 1 of The Walking Dead (IT WAS FOR A WATCHING PARTY OK I DIDN'T DECIDE ON THE FILM) and I now love the actress for Andrea, the blonde girl whose sister died, much more and HOPEFULLY she will be kicking some serious ass in the next season :O~

Offline natme

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 06:50:39 AM »
This season better be just as amazing as last season. I'm hoping I'll have time to watch the season premiere tonight.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »
Watched!!

I'd sort of forgotten how slow paced this show can be... But some very nice tension in the first episode :3

Not enjoying all the arguing but I guess it can't be helped >_>

Offline natme

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »
The season 2 premiere became the most watched drama in cable history in the key 18-49 and 25-54 demographics!

More info can be found here: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/17/zombie-nation-the-walking-dead-season-premiere-delivers-record-ratings/107480/

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »
I'd sort of forgotten how slow paced this show can be... But some very nice tension in the first episode :3

It'd definately a slow paced show but they are slow zombies. :P

Really enjoyed the 1st episode, that scene with the zombies walking past was intense! It went on for like 5 mins and I was on the edge of my seat thinking someone was gonna fuck up. I did think the zombies in the church just sitting there in their Sunday best was a little silly but meh. Some wonderfully gory moments already. Don't watch it when you're eating dinner :lol:

I've given up reading comic fans opinions on the show cause they are never satisfied with the show if there's a new scene not in the comics. I don't understand why people keep watching something if they apparently dislike it so much.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
O M G DARYL IS BADASS LOL OMG.

And omg. :lol:

Offline Rickker708

• Member+
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 05:06:34 AM »
Daryl had some of the best lines.
"you better run....." and my fave"I was just kidding" after getting back up.
Life is one time.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
i know its slow, but it feels really slow this season.

feels like nothing is happening these past few eps =) there's been like, 1 or 2 30second action scene per episode... So much slow dialogue. pregnancy, farmer's daughter, missing child, cold blooded shane, its like a soap opera

its still good and i enjoy it, but i want some zombie action!
word.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »
I agree this season has been slow as hell. Sometimes there's a pause in dialogue and you can seriously hear like... bugs or birds chirping in the background and I think really? REALLY?

Especially in comparison to the comic, the show is sooo sloooow...

I hate Shane but at the same time, he's like the only character making things INTERESTING right now. :lol:

Rick is about as interesting as an empty paper bag. Lori annoys me, not just because of how she behaves, but the actress does "crying" scenes with dry eyes which is like my pet peeve lol she just talks the lines. Everyone is stuck with pretty much one expression which is either :| or :o <- Dale

Andrea finally became the badass aimer she is in the comic, but even that was done in an annoying way where she is apparently incapable of stopping when told or asked.

Daryl and Glenn are like the saving graces, but I can't even really take Daryl that seriously after reading that he's basically a self-insertion character (badass who never does wrong). OMG. :lol:

I FEEL BETTER NOW AFTER HAVING COMPLAINED!!!
I actually still like the show enough to watch, and still think it has potential, but they NEED TO LEAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING FARM ALREADY. :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
It is slow but actually, I don't really mind it. I think it would be too ridiculous to have the group running away from walkers every week, it would kill any sense of suspense. With things as they are, I feel like anytime walkers make an appearance, then it is dangerous for everyone.

I can't determine if the people criticising the show are doing it because they have read the comics and are unhappy that the show isn't a literal translation of the source material or whether they are judging it as a standalone TV show without having that preconception. I've not read the comics yet (what am I doing?) and I think it's pretty good. I hate to admit it though, but the characters in that group are kind of unlikeable. I don't mind Rick, Glenn's really the only 'innocent' adult in there and Daryl is an American badass. But everyone else? Shane's definately an interesting character who I don't mind, but Lori, T-Dawg and Andrea are becoming increasingly unlikeable. And Sophia's mother just cries all the time and contributes nothing. I get her daughter is missing but really, that is the only thing defining that character. I don't even know her name!

I hate to make comparisons but at least Lost had likeable characters in there among the self-serving assholes. Maybe the group just needs to be expanded out a bit? Throw a few more characters in there and see what's up? Despite all of what I said, I still think it's a decent show, it's just not quite as good now as it once was. Well I think there's a mid-season finale after this one and it won't be back until Feb next year, so maybe they can sort something out til then? Maybe? Hopefully! I hear the finale is pretty revelatory though, apparently things won't be the same again, which could mean something to you comic readers.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 04:04:46 AM »
wooooooo
mid season finale! the whole half of the season built up all the way for the final 5 mins!!! I'm happy! Shane is so bad, he's awesome =D

spoilers, but not really
the last zombie kill, it fell the wrong way =P
word.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 07:20:11 PM »
Loved the gun party!

Uhum I read spoilers for this ep so the final 5 minutes weren't shocking for me, but it was still very well done and I may have had something in my eye *wipe*

But I totally noticed what Mocha did as well, the zombie fell the wrong way :lol:

That is all.

...I STILL WANT THEM TO LEAVE THE FARM but I guess that won't be happening any time soon... Since the next ep is in mothaeffin February

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 07:33:33 AM »
soooo, spoilers of course =)

are they steering away from the graphic novel? They just killed off the old dude. he was getting annoying tho.
word.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 08:43:01 AM »
I think they're soon steering a little closer to it, idk. They fired the show runner who had some of the ideas that differed from the comics... Personally I'm glad because the episodes have been more fast-paced now. The characters are still idiots, but at least they are ACTIVE idiots now lol

As for the old guy getting killed off, I hear there was drama that the actor said he'd quit because they fired the above mentioned show runner. Then he changed his mind, but show producers were like "lol, too late" so he got off'd anyway. o-o

I can't believe the stupidity with the outsider kid. "Let's save him." "Now we have to dump him." "We have to kill him." "Let's torture him first to get answers yay!" "Let's let him listen to all our private conversations so he can tell his people everything. <3" "OK now let's kill him." "OOP! Can't kill him because will SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN..."

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Fat na Kare