JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: High and Mighty Color - Amazing

Author Topic: Mass deletion sparks LiveJournal revolt  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
Re: Mass deletion sparks LiveJournal revolt
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:53:25 AM »
Thousands of LiveJournal customers are rebelling against the company's recent decision to censor hundreds of sex-themed discussion groups, a broad swath that has led to the removal of literary critiques and fan-written fiction about Harry Potter.

A terrible loss from which the internet may never recover.

Offline Rina the Robot

• ☠☠☠
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:56:10 AM »
I think it's horrible that livejournal would do that to its users. I've had my journal since 2004, it's been a diary to me for all those years, but now I'm reconsidering my use of the site. I hate the fact that I had to delete some of my communities because of this ridiculous sweep. I've decided that if any of my friends get banned, I'm leaving the site.
rina ♥ mini

Offline yumestarlet

• Hmm~ YES MY LOVE!
  • Member+
LiveJournal pressured by WFI: mass deletion of journals.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 04:32:05 AM »
So this is the latest scandal rocking the Live Journal world.

To give a VERY abridged version, an organization called "Warriors for Innocence," an anti-pedophile website dedicated to hunting down child molesters, etc., etc., has pressured LJ to delete accounts they've reported for "expressing interest in" incest, rape, kidnapping, shota, lolita, "beating people up," etcetera. This organization has no legal backing and does not work with law enforcement and yet, LJ caved. Around 500 have been deleted so far, including fandom communities and fictional role-playing journals (with clear disclaimers that they were exactly that-- fictional.)

Absolutely ridiculous, and LJ users are revolting, pretty much. If you want a lot more detail on this (it just caught attention yesterday) here's a few links:

CNet article: http://news.com.com/Mass+deletion+sparks+LiveJournal+revolt/2100-1025_3-6187619.html?tag=nefd.lede
LJ community "innocence_jihad;" very active community-- lots of news about the controversy: http://community.livejournal.com/innocence_jihad/
Resources, information, and running lists of known deleted journals: http://catrinella.livejournal.com/151812.html?thread=1173764

Tons of lulz all around, if anything.  :rofl: 

Umeda Erika | Linlin & Junjun | Sugaya Risako & Tokunaga Chinami | Noto Arisa | Sugiura Riho
& MUCH thanks to genericpaperdoll for the lovely ava! :heart:

Egao YES Idols -- New blog on H!P and other J-pop idols!

Offline reyfer

• Member+
  • Sayumin's personal assistant
Re: LiveJournal pressured by WFI: mass deletion of journals.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:42:09 AM »
Shit, and I was about to open an account for a journal about my lolicon manga collection.... :grin:

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:41:37 AM »
I say the whole thing is ridiculous!  :angry:

Seriously, even USER PICTURES with 'underage girls' in them are definite targets for deletion. For God's sake, not everyone is a pedophile, target the ACTUAL ONES you idiots.

Anyways, to be safe, I deleted some of my userpics which might be 'risky' for them (aka my H!P kids userpics)...the whole thing is stupid, really.

Offline freya86

• Fangirl Extraordinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 08:29:18 AM »
So, LJ apologizes and all that jazz ...

http://news.livejournal.com/99159.html

// renai revolution ~ a j-pop/h!p slash community~ // yuko . kei . aika . koha . kanna . nacchi //

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »
So, LJ apologizes and all that jazz ...

http://news.livejournal.com/99159.html

About time too.

I hated how they talked about the problem to all their partners or third-party sites and such but not the MEMBERS of the site aka US, for a long time. Many people are still steaming over the issue, some just lost faith and never want to go back again, haha.

Offline freya86

• Fangirl Extraordinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 01:47:33 PM »
Yeah, I still don't really know how to react to this whole thing.

The bigger part of me is *whatever*, but what really makes me wonder is how they'll deal with this subject in the future?

// renai revolution ~ a j-pop/h!p slash community~ // yuko . kei . aika . koha . kanna . nacchi //

Offline jimmy

• I'm not a cat
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 12:20:01 AM »
Thousands of LiveJournal customers are rebelling against the company's recent decision to censor hundreds of sex-themed discussion groups, a broad swath that has led to the removal of literary critiques and fan-written fiction about Harry Potter.

A terrible loss from which the internet may never recover.

I know you're joking, but people who post that stuff make up a sizeable amount of the LJ community. If they leave, LJ will be in trouble.

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: High and Mighty Color - Amazing