JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tsu Shi Ma Mi Re - Lingerie Shop

Author Topic: (Group) FEMM (Far East Mention Mannequins)  (Read 5971 times)

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • K-M-E-I Kamei! K-A-M-E Kyamei!
(Group) FEMM (Far East Mention Mannequins)
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:23:12 AM »
FEMM - FAR EAST MENTION MANNEQUINS

MS-00000 aka RiRi and SW-000000 aka LuLa

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pp-ffsPH8ozLKFMdxOvFw
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FEMM____
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FEMMWorld
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/artist/far-east-mention-mannequins/id821432047

Name: Far East Mention Mannequins (MS-00000 and SW-000000 AKA RiRi and LuLa)
Where They’re From: Tokyo, Japan
When They Started: 2013
Genre: Synthpop with toes dipped into the rest of the electronic dance spectrum
For Fans Of: Icona Pop, Shiny Toy Guns, DeadMau5,
Sounds Like: An EDM genre sampler with a dash of otaku culture

If mannequins had feelings, what would they sing to us? “Kill the DJ,” “Let’s party all night,” and “I’m sick and tired of human boys,” apparently. Japan’s semi-animate dance duo FEMM (Far East Mention Mannequins) are suited up in latex, armed with rapid-fire electro bangers, and inching their way to global domination in precise, dimestop steps.

Aside from the impossibly catchy tracks and near-flawless robot choreography, RiRi and LuLa have been attracting attention one YouTube view at a time since mid-2013 thanks to the group’s elaborate backstory and impressive commitment to concept: a pair of battle mannequins sent here to, um, rescue other mannequins from human oppression.

We have to admit, it’s hard not to just embrace the gimmick and just have fun when FEMM has the tunes to back it up. The pair’s overwhelmingly English discography has something for everyone with electronic taste, whether you’re feeling like a romantic trance trip a la “We Flood the Night,” craving a techno remix of ’70s J-pop hit “UFO“, or in a twerk-tastic, rubber-maid-outfit-clad “Fxxk Boyz Get Money” kinda mood.

Thanks to an all star team of producers including Jorge Mhondra (Missy Elliot, Pharrell), Brian Lee (Icona Pop, Lady Gaga), Sofia Toufa (Deadmau5) and more, FEMM’s sound never strays too far away from pop to alienate the masses.

And it’s the masses they want. On top of releasing a six-track EP, Astroboy, eight digital singles, and 11 music videos for your listening and viewing pleasure, FEMM also runs an interactive website where you can create your own mannequin avatar, earn in-universe currency (“Mentions”), and cash in for swag.

FEMM-isation awaits us all, dear reader. So why resist?

Article credit: MTV Iggy
---------

K, I didn't feel like writing up a summary but basically this duo is friggin awesome! Think of them as a fiercer Perfume with latex cosplay. Their concept is quite complex (and the usual WTF-ery from Japan), the article doesn't really go into depth but they're mannequins trying to spread the word through their songs to save other mannequins around the world from suffering.  :?

...Just watch their teaser below. XD

They are managed by "handlers" by the names of Honey-B and W-Trouble (who are actually the "human" versions of FEMM) who do all the talking for them because the mannequins cannot speak for themselves.  :roll:

Anyway...their songs! You'll be glad to know that all their songs are in ENGLISH (not Engrish!) with the exception of one song "UFO" (yes, the Pink Lady song) which you can barely hear them over all the electro/autotune sound. If you listen to the songs they sound like Western electronic music, but watching their videos gives you a different experience. These two are quite good dancers and manage to never break character. People are convinced they really are mannequins.  :lol:

Most people (myself included) have probably heard of them from this song

So far they've been releasing digital singles almost monthly, just last week they've released their newest song "Dead Wrong" (my current jam) and their songs don't disappoint. Other info: they're signed under Avex, Riri is half American, they've made their first US appearance in Tulsa, OK for "Tokyo in Tulsa" con, and why haven't they've blown up yet as awesome as they are???

http://youtu.be/8ZtbB4D1mDQ?list=UU7Pp-ffsPH8ozLKFMdxOvFw
featuring their handlers Honey-B and W-Trouble

And when I say they don't break character, they don't break character XD

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
Re: (Group) FEMM (Far East Mention Mannequins)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:51:16 AM »
they are pretty bad-ass. i like the video where they're twerking  :lol:

Offline superthefox

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:18:31 AM »
Don't want to ruin the mystery of the gimmick for those who want to play along, but for those wondering who they are

RiRi  = Emily Kaiho
LuLa = Hiro Todo

I love them. They are so much fun to watch and listen to. :)

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:42:01 AM »
^I don't kurr, I still love them. And leave it to this forum to dig up info about anyone. :lol: There's practically no info on this group except the whole mannequin story.

No wonder RiRi looked familiar. I've seen that movie Bunraku with Gackt. Oh, and it happens to be her birthday (Aug 19th) too! 

:jphip:

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »
2 new songs within a week of each other.

a ballad and no autotune

Is it me or are they starting to become more "human" as each song comes out? In "Unbreakable" they're not wearing wigs and sing without autotune. Maybe there's some storyline going on.  :lol:

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »
Cool group. They remind me of Daft Punk.

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
And yet another :lol: A teaser this time.

There's also a rumor of an album since the above song completes a tracklist that was on their site.

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »

Whiplash, indeed. Dat choreo :dizzy:

Album coming out soon!  :rockon:

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »
FEMM coming to San Francisco! They'll be performing at this year's J-Pop Summit this weekend:
http://www.j-pop.com/guests/femm/

I like some of their songs so far, and seeing them performed live could be a memorable experience.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline Rayle

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 06:01:21 AM »
FEMM were hilarious. They stayed in persona the entire time, and even signed and slid signed cards around mechanically. Their dance skills are no joke, doing their entire music set with precision-perfect moves, yet with that slightest hint of attitude. They had some of the most crowd engagement, too. I was surrounded by a horde of girls singing right along at the top of their lungs.

The best part was that the MC called their hit song "Boyz Get Money."  :rofl: And everyone in the audience was like "LOL changed meaning much."

Also Riri kinda looks like an Asian Anna Torv.  :O2

Offline iamcrazymike

• "Crazy"
  • Member+
  • "Crazy" Mike was here!
    • iamcrazymike
    • iamcrazymike
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »
I forgot this thread existed, but here's their latest music video that came out like a week ago or something like that . . .

JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tsu Shi Ma Mi Re - Lingerie Shop