JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dream - Get Over

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones  (Read 126067 times)

Offline Flyp

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 12th gen supporter
A Game of Thrones
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:22:44 PM »
Winter is coming...

From George R. R. Martin's epic A Song of Ice and Fire book series comes a new HBO series called "A Game of Thrones."

This is not your parents' fantasy series.  With a smaller focus on magic and other-worldliness and a stronger focus on political machinations and secret plots, it's been described as "The Sopranos in Middle-Earth."  Filled with sex, war, violence, incest, backstabbing, and unexpected twists and turns, the books are more like historical fiction than what you expect from something labelled as "fantasy."  Martin breathes fresh new life in a series that was growing stale with predictability.  If you think you know what's going to happen, you're wrong.  If you think you know who's good and who's bad, you're wrong. 

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.

GoT is set in Westeros, a world not terribly unlike medieval Europe, except for the fact that summers can last years, and winters can last decades.  At the start of the series, it has been summer for many years.... but Winter Is Coming.  To the north is a 100 foot tall wall made of ice, guarded by a small band of outlaws and exiles called The Night's Watch, protecting the south from bands of wildlings in the forests... and something else, something more wicked, that has gone unseen so long its been all but forgotten.   To the south is the Seven Kingdoms, ruled by King Robert Baratheon, who won the crown in a war against the crazed King Aerys Targaryen.  The Targaryens ruled the lands for many years, commanding the powers of now-extinct dragons.  Across the sea to the east, however, the last of the Targaryens are plotting their return to the Seven Kingdoms to take back the Iron Throne...  This may sound like your standard fantasy fair, but this is just the setup. This IS epic fantasy we're talking about.  I can't really go into the story without going into major spoilers, so you'll have to trust me when I say its filled with twists and turns, intrigue and manipulation.

Now, about the series!

A Game of Thrones is currently under production with a tentative Spring 2011 air date.  The first season will be ten episodes long and cover the entire first book of the series.  George R. R. Martin will be working closely with the production and is even writing an episode of the series.  Filming is taking place primarily in Northern Ireland, with additional shooting in Malta.

The Cast:

This series has a HUGE cast of characters (about 80 or so for just the first season, not including extras) so I won't list them all here, but some of the notable names are:

Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, Warden of the North and Lord of Winterfell.

Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, King of the Seven Kingdoms

Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister, his Queen, and daughter of Lord Tywin Lannister, head of one of the most powerful families in Westeros.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was Jaime Lannister, Cersei's brother.  Killed the crazed King Aerys during Robert's rebellion, earning him the nickname The Kingslayer

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, dwarf brother of Jaime and Cersei.  Not well-respected in his family due to his dwarfism.

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, exiled princess and one of the last of House Targaryen, the former rulers of Westeros.

Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen, Daenerys's older brother intent to retake his father's throne at any cost.

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo, leader of a large army of powerful, savage warriors.  Viserys sells Daenerys to him as a bride in return for an army to take back the Iron Throne.

I'm *really* excited about this series, both as a fan of HBO and a fan of the books.  I know I can't be the only one here that's looking forward to this.

Pleeeeease keep this thread spoiler-free for those here that haven't read the series, or at least big flashing warning signs in your posts that SPOILERS ARE AHEAD.

Additional information:
Winter Is Coming  Fan blog covering every last detail of the production of the series, also includes an in-depth cast and crew list.  NOT SPOILER-FREE
The official HBO website of the series.  User comments may contain spoilers.
Official production blog.   Mostly spoiler-free, no major story points are spoiled.

Credits go to Winter-is-Coming.net for supplying information and cast images.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:41:48 PM by Flyp »

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: A Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »
I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
 :mon roll: :mon roll: :mon roll: :mon roll: :mon roll: :mon roll:
:gmon twirl: :gmon twirl: :gmon twirl: :gmon twirl: :gmon twirl: :gmon twirl:
FJEIAWJOAIGJOWIEJGOIAJLSIJE

Mostly expecting to see how Tyrion is portrayed because he's my favourite character!
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
Filming is taking place primarily in Northern Ireland..

Fuck yeh! :w00t: It's really easy to film something you want set in medieval times over here. Lots of open landscapes, fields, forestry, mountains. I just have to walk outside my estate and down the road a bit and I can see Mt.Slemish off in the distance.

Sounds like a good show, I'm definately curious about it now.

Offline Rickker708

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 03:40:59 AM »
Whoohoo, the books have been some of the best I've ever read. Can't wait for the series.
Life is one time.

Offline Flyp

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 12th gen supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 03:33:58 PM »

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 03:45:36 AM »
Dear god, I've just started reading A Game of Thrones, and I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED ABOUT THIS SHOW *_____*! From the very first page I could totally picture what I was reading as played out on screen. Aaaah.

I've never been a fan of this kind of fantasy (as in... war dramallama, kings and queens and opposing families), but thissssss is something completely different. I have no clue why. To begin with I thought it was because of the way it's written (each chapter jumping from viewpoint to viewpoint), but there's got to be more to it than that. I haven't devoured a book like this since the last Harry Potter 8D; I'm about 40% in (percentage because ebooks are awesome and % > page numbers) and I just wish I had more time to sit down and read, because I want more, more, more 8D

The cast all look fantastic, I'm completely enthralled by Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen :inlove: can't wait to see her in action :lol:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:38:01 AM »
This just in~

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 01:59:06 PM »
Watched this morning OH MY GOD GETTING MORE AND MORE EXCITED

Everyone looks so fucking perfect TT___TT

Omg I can't wait to love Tyrion. lol

Sean Bean is capturing Eddard Stark even TOO well, because I found him boring in the book and he seems boring in the previews hahahaha
I'd still hit it though. I mean, he's LIKEABLE yes, but he's so honourable that he's actually kinda boring ya know.

I WANT TO WATCH IT AGAIN OMG I CAN'T WAIT IT LOOKS SO PERFECT. :lol:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:15:26 AM »
Everyone looks so fucking perfect TT___TT

Word.

Haha, you think Eddard is boring? :lol: I find him such a strong character, I :heart: him. Though speaking of favourites I think mine are Daenerys, Arya, and Jon Snow. In no particular order.

*o*

Am I the only one thinking they made Cersei too pretty for the show? :lol: also, I couldn't help but giggle every time Viserys appeared in the Inside special :nervous and I finally figured out why he looked so familiar. He's been in two episodes of Doctor Who! :lol:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »
Well idk, the further the 1st book gets the more boring he gets. :lol: That was my feeling... And I guess I was disappointed because he isn't able to stop certain things from happening.

My favs are Tyrion and Arya... = the unlikely heroes, I suppose :3 Dany too, tho sometimes I'm not sure I like Dany because she's Dany, or because some of the most interesting stuff happens to her (so her chapters are always worth looking forward to).

Least favourite? Catelyn. She's like the queen of "woe is me". :lol: Which is understandable, but... doesn't make it any less grating.

Aren't Cersei and Jaime supposed to be extremely beautiful :lol: I'm gonna feel so guilty for finding Jaime hot. I'm a bit disappointed that Cersei's oldest son is so ugly, because even if it fits his personality, I thought he was described as pretty in the book. lol Or maybe he always was ugly, but Sansa saw him differently just because he was a prince :/ ...I also imagined the son having long-ish locks, so basically he doesn't look anything like I imagined him to. haha

...I *think* I managed to discuss this topic without spoiling too much :lol: It's such a fine art

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »
:lol:

I guess Jamie and Cersei are supposed to be ridiculously pretty, but I tend to forget character descriptions. Her character has got something to do with it, I guess. I just don't want her to be pretty T_T;

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »
Oh my god, the language geek in me is stupidly excited about this....;

The Making Game of Thrones blog has posted a long, detailed guide to basic Dothraki.

David J. Peterson, a conlanger (or inventor of languages) worked with the Language Creation Society and the creators of 'Game of Thrones' to design a full Dothraki tongue for use on the upcoming HBO series. The details of his process (which are pretty fascinating) have been reported around the web and picked up by fan sites like Winter Is Coming and Westeros. Here on "Making Game of Thrones," David will be offering a series of crash courses in the Dothraki language, beginning with this introductory lesson

Start learning here.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:58 AM »
On a somewhat related note, I got Book One of A Song of Ice and Fire for my birthday. Softback cover, 835 pages. Let's do this. :thumbsup

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
NEW FULL LENGTH TRAILER, THE BEST ONE SO FAR, OH MY GOD!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 02:31:28 AM »
^
Wow, that's fantastic. I really can't wait @___@; ... and it's March now, so it won't be long now... :DDD

Offline Rickker708

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 08:18:02 AM »
on a related note, next book set to release:
July 12th, 2011
http://geek-news.mtv.com/tag/game-of-thrones/
Life is one time.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »
TYRION CLIP!!!! GWAAAAAHHHHhhHHHHhh

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
A new trailer:

And a bunch of character features on youtube!!

11 DAYS UNTIL 15 MIN PREVIEW
25 DAYS UNTIL PREMIERE

:w00t:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »
Get hype! The series starts on Sunday. Or on Monday if you live in the UK!

And a 14 min preview if you just can't wait

I can tell those were the glens of Antrim when filming that scene! :lol:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:14:29 PM by Tuffty »

JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dream - Get Over