JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hitomi - Flow

Author Topic: Dishonored  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Dishonored
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »

Overview

Dishonored is an immersive first-person action game that casts you as a supernatural assassin driven by revenge. Creatively eliminate your targets with the flexible combat system as you combine the numerous supernatural abilities, weapons and unusual gadgets at your disposal. Pursue your enemies under the cover of darkness or ruthlessly attack them head on with weapons drawn. The outcome of each mission plays out based on the choices you make.

Story

Dishonored is set in Dunwall, an industrial whaling city where strange technology and otherworldly mysticism coexist in the shadows. You are the once-trusted bodyguard of the beloved Empress. Framed for her murder, you become an infamous assassin, known only by the disturbing mask that has become your calling card. In a time of uncertainty, when the city is being besieged by plague and ruled by an oppressive government armed with neo-industrial technologies, dark forces conspire to bestow upon you abilities beyond those of any common man – but at what cost? The truth behind your betrayal is as murky as the waters surrounding the city, and the life you once had is gone forever.

Improvise and Innovate: Approach each assassination with your own style of play. Use shadow and sound to your advantage to make your way silently through levels unseen by foes, or attack enemies head-on as they respond to your aggressiveness. The flexible combat system allows you to creatively combine your abilities, supernatural powers and gadgets as you make your way through the levels and dispatch your targets. Improvise and innovate to define your play style.

Action with Meaning: The world of Dishonored reacts to how you play. Move like a ghost and resist corruption, or show no mercy and leave a path of destruction in your wake. Decide your approach for each mission, and the outcomes will change as a result.

Supernatural Abilities: Teleport for stealth approaches, possess any living creature, or stop time itself to orchestrate unearthly executions! Combining your suite of supernatural abilities and weapons opens up even more ways to overcome obstacles and eliminate targets. The game’s upgrade system allows for the mastery of deadly new abilities and devious gadgets.

A City Unlike Any Other: Enter an original world envisioned by Half-Life 2 art director Viktor Antonov. Arkane and Bethesda bring you a world where industry and mysticism collide, creating an atmosphere thick with intrigue. The world is yours to discover.

Really looking forward to this.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Dishonored
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
The review embargo is over and Dishonored is raking in high scoring reviews. I'll be awaiting my copy on Fri! :w00t:

Offline RionZ

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:03:56 AM »
I'm actually surprised with how well reviewed its getting.  I mean, I knew it would do well, but not all across the board well.  I hear one of the biggest gripes is that its too short.  But people say its only short if you play "guns a'blazing" style.  I'm interested in this but I got a lot on my gaming plate right now.  I'll wait til it goes on sale.  I can sit on a single player game for a bit.

Courtesy of the best, Miichan!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »
^ The wild rumour going around is that it's about 4 hours to complete it. Which is bollocks, because I've spent that amount of time on it through the tutorial and the first mission alone. The guy who did it was clearly taking the guns blazing approach and on a speed run, ignoring anything else the game offers like sidequests, hunting down runes/bone charms and not reading notes/books. Besides, that applies to every game. Skyrim could be beaten in a few hours, as is the case with any RPG, but you would be missing out on everything else the game has to offer.

Really enjoying this. I was going to go into it being completely stealthy and a pacifist towards everyone but I think I'd just be limiting myself from the first time experience in using the powers and weapons. I will mainly go for a non lethal approach seeing as it gets the best ending and that's just how I play these types of games anyway, but if I have to, then I will use the lethal approach when it suits. If I feel like it, then I will play it again on a second playthrough and go for pure stealth/pacifism in order to set myself a real challenge (one of the achievements in the game even asks that you beat the game without using any powers or upgrades at all)

It's a very atmospheric game, and for a totalitarian, plague ridden, rat infested city, Dunwall is a wonderfully realised place that looks gorgeous, like an oil painting come to life. I like reading the notes around the environment, it builds up an interesting setting and adds to the fiction as well. Playing on Hard definately adds to the challenge, guards are more alert and you can die real quick in combat. I'm having fun just messing around the levels right now, trying to explore every nook and cranny.

The coolest moment thus far comes in a mission where you have to deal with 3 thugs looking to rob a character called Granny Rags (who's delightfully creepy) and she asks you to deal with them in any way you see fit. So I just made a save and reloaded it to try out different possibilities. I would usually go to the second floor and teleport outside and behind them, where I could then teleport behind them and try to take each one out non-lethally by choking them without them realising, or I could quickly stab one from behind and deal with the rest in combat. I even cooked a grenade and threw it just in time to take all of them out in one stroke. I think my finest moment was where I actually did it the direct way and as one of them was banging on the front door, mid knock I opened it up, pulled out my pistol and shot the guy dead (which btw, the pistol is a fucking beast. It kicks hard, kills anyone almost immediately and it is LOUD). I then dispatched one guy immediately with my sword and parried the third guy just in time for me to do the brutal counter hit move which killed him. Doing that after planning it out in your head, without getting hurt, and resolving that situation in a matter of seconds was really satisfying to pull off.

It's a game where you can get achieve lots of cool moments like that. But this too is also pretty sweet.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »
Discovered a really interesting setup and personal moment while playing the game today. By teleporting and jumping across environments I made my way to the top floor of this house. On this floor was a room that was really run down, dark and just looked filthy. I found 3 body bags lying on this unkempt mattress and in the center of the room was a table where this female corpse had collapsed onto it, still sitting in a chair. There was a diary beside her which went into detail about what happened. Turned out her husband contracted the plague and things went really downhill for the family. They were quarantined off, no money and handed basic rations to survive. The plague spread to their children, and the husband was the first to die. The mother even mentioned about finding difficulty to find a bodybag, put her husband in it and then just keep it, because they're not allowed outside. Then her two children followed (hence the 3 bodybags together) followed by the mother who also died of the plague. Horribly depressing story, but it's really rewarding to find that as it adds to the overall fiction, and can only be discovered if, like me, you explore the environment. It's happened before in games like Bioshock, Fallout or Skyrim, but when it's good, it's really effective.

Had a great moment yesterday sneaking into a distillery full of guys who would try to kill me on sight and I went in completely unnoticed, not getting spotted, not even choking a guard out. It was like I was never there.

Good lord this is epic!! :w00t:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:21:04 PM by Tuffty »

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 08:13:50 AM »
4 hours... lol WAT?! Took me over 18 and I only got maybe 75% of the runes, whale bones and other treasures. I went at an average pace I would say, while playing not to kill anyone. I did manage to beat it only killing 15 or so hostiles and most of those were before the sokolov mission when I realized throwing ko'd bodies into the water killed them. :lol:

Lovingly crafted world and characters, awesome powers (blinking ftw!), great scenarios and super satisfying ways of getting revenge (especially non lethally  ;)). It has that thing like the batman games in that you feel like a bad ass super powered ninja that the enemies all fear but this is a much better more engrossing game.

Such an amazing mission :heart:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:45:29 PM by zoolander »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
It's better than Batman at what it does. In Batman you're somewhat limited by what you can do (e.g. only getting the high ground by perching on gargoyles), whereas in Dishonored you can literally teleport anywhere you see fit and approach situations in a different number of ways.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 11:58:45 PM »
Looking forward to the sequel although the powers they've shown thus far seem pretty overpowered. Perhaps it's just for marketing purposes and it will be more difficult to do in game, we'll see.

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hitomi - Flow