JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Gheee - Beautiful Stungun

Author Topic: [CHI] Tony Leung Chiu-Wai  (Read 61407 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: [CHI] Tony Leung Chiu-Wai
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
FINALLY!!!

"The Grandmasters" to Hit the Big Screen on December 18
     2012-04-18 14:53:53     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: test

Wong Kar Wai's martial arts biopic "The Grandmasters" is set for release on December 18, Sina Entertainment reports.

The movie is based on the life story of Wing Chun grandmaster Yip Man, the legendary martial arts master who trained Bruce Lee.

Wong's frequent collaborator Tony Leung stars in the film as Yip man. The cast also includes Zhang Ziyi playing a Baguazhang master, Hye-gyo Song, Zhang Zhen and Zhao Benshan.

The film has taken a great deal of time to finish, as is often the case with Wong Kar Wai films. Knowing Wong Kar Wai's impressionistic storytelling style, fans expect stunning fight choreography.

After the release date was announced, the official microblog of "The Grandmasters" initiated a competition which will give out 1218 exquisite posters to fans.

lol. my dad has these stamps.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2012, 08:38:12 AM »
FUCK YEAH SHADES. "Windseeker"/"The Silent War" directed by Alan Mak and Felix Chong will be released Aug. 10 in Asia, China and the US. via Roasted Pork Cleaver and http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/p/2012-06-15/04353657895.shtml

more pix jacked from :thailand: fans http://www.tonyleungfanclub.com/index.php?lay=boardshow&ac=webboard_show&Category=tonyleungfanclubcom&thispage=&No=1432064&WBntype=5

Like Cyclops!

going all solo @  15th Shanghai International Film Festival (SIFF)

eta:

AND TRAILER!!

AND AND!! PRESSER!

fuckin big ass mic :lol:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:10:58 AM by daigong »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
Carina posted these via her weibo :D  a little late but lol :sweatdrop:

Happy 50th Birthday Tony!!

BFFs!!

The wiveys :inlove:

lol Young Tony:

big party! for how rich these actors are, they living in a big apartment goes to show how expensive Hong Kong life is.

coming soon JPHiP Baby Blending Penpal are you ready? :jphip:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 03:17:23 AM »
the XXXTENDED trailer for Silent War 聽風者 is out!!

LOL warm up for Grandmasters fo sho. Zhou Xun <3

Offline YKT

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • MayuyuOrg
    • MayuyuOrg
    • +YKTing
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 04:23:06 AM »
Tony Leung to star in '1905'
HK thesp has first lead role in a Japanese pic

By MARK SCHILLING

TOKYO -- Hong Kong star Tony Leung Chiu-Wai has boarded helmer Kiyoshi Kurosawa's period drama "1905."
In his first lead role in a Japanese pic, Leung will co-star with Shota Matsuda and Atsuko Maeda, formerly of the pop group AKB48.

Set in 1905 in Yokohama, the pic features Leung as a Chinese moneylender and Matsuda as a Japanese nationalist on the trail of five Chinese revolutionaries. Leung wants to collect from them while Matsuda wants to get them out of the country. Maeda plays a girl who cooks and cares for Leung's character in Japan.

Pic will be produced by Hiroko Shinohara of Tokyo-based Premom H. Shooting will start in November for a fall 2013 release.

Kurosawa is best known internationally for his J Horror pics. He also successfully moved into family drama with "Tokyo Sonata," winner of the Cannes Un Certain Regard Special Jury Prize in 2008. His most recent project, the five-part TV drama "Penance" made for the Wowow channel, screened at the Venice Film Festival this month in a condensed version.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059020
Alternate http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-201209101003reedbusivarietynvr1118059020-20120910,0,255832.story

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 04:51:35 AM »
TONY!!!!!!!! very interesting story, these historical pre-Communist Sino-Japan relations get deep and bound to be controversial. True he has worked with Japanese actors like the hilarious Tokyo Raiders

How many stunt doubles did Tony use? XD

...but I had no idea this was his first in a Japanese movie, and WHOA Variety put Tony's name first and it STILL blows my mind. Acchan being his cook?? Weird if they develop a romance :lol:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2012, 02:59:53 AM »

I had a feeling ....

Sino-Japan Relations Worsen - Tony Leung Suffers Backlash

After announcing his role in the new movie 1905 by Japanese director Kurosawa Kiyoshi, Tony Leung has been receiving backlash from netizens for taking part in the project. The movie will start filming in Japan in November and is expected to complete filming by January. The film is scheduled for release in the fall of next year. However, with the ongoing tension between Japan and China over the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands, many people have expressed their disappointment in Tony over his participation in the movie.

Many netizens have laid the blame on Tony: "First he doesn't lack money. Secondly he doesn't lack good scripts. What he lacks is a backbone and his patriotic pride. It's really disappointing." Another netizen left a message, "Announcing this project at such a sensitive time? Do you know what you're doing?" Others have urged Tony to follow Li Bing Bing's example [by declining to promote her film in Japan].

While Tony hasn't posted any new messages on Weibo, there has been thousands of comments discussing the issue. Many netizens have voiced their support for him, saying that the film has been in talks for a while and it just so happens the production is starting at this time. They don't think people should place the blame on Tony.

Meanwhile, Mainland singer Sun Nan was suppose to attend a concert for the '40th Anniversary of the Normalization of Diplomatic Relations Between Japan and China'. However, yesterday it was announced that he has cancelled his plans to visit Japan. Sun Nan is the latest celebrity to withdraw his activities in Japan following Li Bing Bing. Their actions seem to show their dissatisfaction with how Japan has been handling the dispute.

As for the concert happening this month on the 25th at the National Centre for the Performing Arts in Beijing, it has been postponed indefinitely. The concert was originally meant to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Sino-Japan diplomatic relations and Japanese singer Tanimura Shinji was scheduled to perform at the event. According to his management company, they have already been in contact with the event organizers. There is currently no date in mind to reschedule the concert.

Source: Mingpao
Translated by: sparkles_n15 @ AsianFanatics

Carina Lau: Tony Leung to Put Film On Hold

When asked whether she's aware of the backlash Tony has received from netizens, Carina responds, "Of course! But it seems like the film was in the works since 2009. The film has been pushed back until now because he hasn't had time in his schedule." With the escalating tension between Japan and China, will he consider stepping down from the project? "I think it will be postponed indefinitely."

Carina believes that reasonable people would not place the blame on the director or the actors. As for netizens calling Tony a 'Han Traitor' and requesting he apologizes? Carina angrily says, "Is that really necessary? I hope people will view the issue more rationally." Tony's management company Jet Tone has issued a statement saying the discussions for the film began back in 2009. However, Tony has not seen the script yet and has not officially signed onto the project.

Source: Mingpao
Translated by: sparkles_n15 @ AsianFanatics

"may now be delayed indefinitely"
http://iservice.libertytimes.com.tw/liveNews/news.php?no=695867&type=%E5%BD%B1%E5%8A%87

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »
Grandmasters stills!! check out his pinpoint stance

Fists of Fury TONY!

so Wong Kar-wai is saying Ip Man's a pimp?

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »

Party like Tony! with Jacky Cheung, friends at ALEX TO wedding

[2012.11.16] WONG KAR WAI UNVEILS THE ROAD TO THE GRANDMASTERS

tony/kar wai

Taking over 10 years to produce, the Wong Kar Wai directed THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) was released on December 18. Recently videos of the film have been unveiled one after another. Yesterday a 17 minute long ROAD TO THE GRANDMASTERS was released, as Wong Kar Wai described this epic kung fu film THE GRANDMASTERS' journey.

THE ROAD TO THE GRANDMASTERS not only had Wong Kar Wai's film process descriptions but also many shots that would break fans' hearts -- the training of Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Zhang Ziyi and Chang Chen.

Normally looking frail as a bookworm, Wai Jai in the video jumped rope and practiced with wooden stacks. He even sparred with the stunt team. Once breaking his arm during practice, Wai Jai truly gave his all in his training. The Best Actor absolutely did not just rely on looks and action poses for a pass because director Wong Kar Wai asked all actors to "get inside the characters' bones". Aside from Wai Jai, Zhang Ziyi during her practice screamed from the split that the master asked her to perform. Chang Chen screamed in pain from stretching with the master. For 3 actors, will power was the greatest training.

Wong Kar Wai in the video revealed that the idea of making THE GRANDMASTERS started in 1996 when he was working on HAPPY TOGETHER (CHUN GUONG JA SIT) in Argentina. He saw a Bruce Lee cover on a local magazine and felt that this superstar's influence on the world. Yet because the Bruce Lee story has already made many times, he wanted to explore Bruce Lee's master Ip Man more and how he turned Bruce Lee into a legendary figure.

In the first 3 years of the film's preparation, Wong Kar Wai visited with over 100 different martial art masters. The video mentioned that and how some of the martial art masters have now passed away and were unable to watch THE GRANDMASTERS in its entirety; during the process Wong Kar Wai was determined to bring back an era from one person and one street.
 via hktopten 

Trailer

Press Conference!

Behind the scenes!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2012, 01:28:30 AM »
new stills from The Grandmasters! ...Tone always da ladies...the lovely Song Hye Kyo (송혜교)

nice view

still no release date on it! early 2013?!??! DAMN IT KAR WAI!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »
Tony Da LADIES MAN!! here wrapping up co-star Zhang Ziyi in December 2012 issue of Chinese Cosmo

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2013, 05:10:50 AM »

Tony Sweet Sweet Hanging XD

Tony Leung Chiu Wai spent the New Year with a group of buddies like Berg Ng Ting Yip, Lui Fong, Alex To Tak Wai and Kenny Bee (Chung Chun To). Lui Fong posted their group photo online. Wai Jai looked funny and a little drunk but very happy. To Wai Jai, having real friends in life was indeed important. At this men's gathering, none of their other halves appeared.
Posted by hktopten

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »
Grandmasters premieres with Wong Kar-wai, GRAND MASTER Yuen Woo-ping, Zhang Ziyi and Chang Chen

[2013.01.07] CRITIC: THE GRANDMASTERS RESEMBLES ASHES OF TIME

Tony lol only he can pull shit off like this

The Wong Kar Wai directed, Tony Leung Chiu Wai starred THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) after 14 years from planning to production finally announced its completion as it will be released tomorrow. A much more relaxed Wai Jai yesterday attended a Beijing press conference. The 3 year production period made him thoroughly suffer, no wonder he was somewhat in disbelief that it has already been completed. Zhang Ziyi even described the production process as "getting on a pirate ship", as she decided to never make another kung fu film. Film critics had more praises than criticism, some even described THE GRANDMASTERS as along the same vein as ASHES OF TIME (DUNG CHE SAI DUK). When Ip Man moved his Chinese suit to change into a suit, he was IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (FA YEUNG NIN WA)'s Chow Mo Wan possessed.

THE GRANDMASTERS will be released in the Mainland tomorrow. Wong Kar Wai yesterday led Leung Chiu Wai, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen and others to the Beijing press conference. Song Hye-Kyo who was rumored to be upset at Wong Kar Wai's schedule was absent.

Some film critics after watching the film wrote aside from the perfect visuals, the poetic expression of the story was along the same vein as ASHES OF TIME. When Ip Man removed his Chinese suit to put on another suit, he was actually "Chow Mo Wan possessed".

The 50 year old Wai Jai talked about the 3 year long production. "Ultimately I didn't start practicing kung fu until I was 47. I broke my arm twice, each time I needed several months to recover and wasted the fruits of my previous training. Wasn't that very painful?" The earliest released rainy night fight scene was shocking visually, behind it Wai Jai actually suffered. "After 30 over night shoots, I told Wong Kar Wai director I am done, I can't take anymore; the director said fine fine fine, just like that. Finally we shot for another week, after which I thought I had pneumonia. I actually had bronchitis and lay in bed for 5 days. For half a year I worked at night for a long time. After the wrap I needed to adjust. I went to bed at midnight and got up at 4 or 5AM. I went running before the sun came out. (Carina) Lau Ka Ling asked where I was going, during that period my body was truly very tired."

Wai Jai admitted that at first he was somewhat in disbelief that the film has wrapped. "On the day of the wrap I thought I would be especially excited, when the director said 'Leung Chiu Wai's final shot'. After the shoot I wasn't too happy, maybe I felt that later I still had work like voice work and promotions. I was somewhat in disbelief still. In my experience, we could have had two wrap banquets and still go back to shoot. 3 days later I could receive a call, 'A scene could actually be even better, come back and fix it', the possibility still exists." He said that after returning to Hong Kong and settling for four or five days, he was much more relaxed. "Actually the pressure was tremendous all along, I was very tensed. Wong Kar Wai on the set was very relaxed, he was never in a hurry. We were the ones who were." Donnie Yen Chi Tan's IP MAN will soon make its third installment. THE GRANDMASTERS was often made fun of as taking too long to make. Wai Jai said, "When you have fried chicken you still have to wait! The two movies are different. We shot for so long because we needed such a long time to be able to achieve it, so I don't have anything to say." He said that he needed to rest and would not make a movie for now.

Zhang Ziyi played the Eight Diagram palm master, she said that two nights ago after watching the film in its completed form for the first time and did not sleep all night. "Due to health and character consideration, I decided from now on I would not make another kung fu film. I am older, during training this time I realized I had many old wounds. My body was in a state of overload." Zhang Ziyi joked that the production process was like "getting on a pirate ship". "After 3 years of training and being with the character, I sensed the character's troubled fate".

Wong Kar Wai was often asked why it took so long. He said, "With such good actors supporting me, if I have the time I am willing to keep shooting. Although I was reluctant to part with it, everyone has to see it. THE GRANDMASTERS displays the beauty of the Chinese people."

Max Zhang Jun had a train station fight scene with Zhang Ziyi. Viewers of test screenings praised it as the bright spot of the entire film and a display of power. Zhang Jun said, "The pressure was enormous on this film, the fighting was real unlike before. Every school and every style were very clear cut."

Wong Kar Wai was known for taking his time to be concise. Back then when he spent 5 years to complete 2046 it was already classic, no one expected that THE GRANDMASTERS from planning to official release would take 14 years. At first Wong Kar Wai and Jeff Lau Chun Wai discussed THE GRANDMASTERS story, in 2001 the script was officially registered, in 2003 the film announced its official production. For ten years most of the time only the buzz of the production could be heard. In 2008 Raymond Wong Pak Ming made IP MAN with Donnie Yen Chi Tan, leading to a "twin incident".

IP Man was released and became a hit, even followed the momentum with a sequel. However Wong Kar Wai insisted on completing his research before beginning production and asked Leung Chiu Wai, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen to study martial art. In July 2009, Wai Jai while sparring suffered a bone crack, during the shoot he even had a fracture. The film 3 years ago began to heat up in its production, but the rainy night fight scene in the trailer alone took 30 nights, gave Wai Jai bronchitis and made him sick for 5 days after the shoot. The film even had two wrap banquets, in the end Wai Jai, Zhang Ziyi and others were called back to continue additional shoots. Thus before the film is released, Wai Jai still does not believe it truly has wrapped up production.

Playing Leung Chiu Wai's wife, Korean star Song Hye-Kyo is working on a Korean television series in Korea and thus was absent. However she still sent a video for the premiere.

In the video she apologized for being unable to attend the premiere and revealed that she was a fan of Director Wong. She said, "Spending 3 years to work on THE GRANDMASTERS with Director Wong Kar Wai, it has been a very happy period of time for me. It includes working with excellent actors, I have learned a lot, gained valuable experience. I have always been the director's fan. Although my character this time isn't very key, being able to participate in the director's film is already a honor for me."

Meanwhile, the Wong Jing and Manfred Wong (Man Jun) produced, Daniel Chan Yee Heng directed YOUNG AND DANGEROUS RELOADED (GOO WAT JAI: GONG WU SUN DIT JUI) will be released on the same day as THE GRANDMASTERS. Yesterday Wong Jing took a jab online at Wong Kar Wai for spending 7 years to finally complete this film. "Congratulations Brother Wong Kar Wai for finally finishing this film that I too really want to see. The big film that the Cannes Best Director spent 7 years, over 400 units and 300 million on! However for its Hong Kong promotion, does it need to compare itself to a film that new director Chan Yee Heng spent a month and a half, 20 some units and several millions to make? Yee Heng has the chance to compete with Wong Kar Wai in the slot, it is his honor! However nothing is certain at the box office, we shall wait and see!"
 Posted by hktopten 

[2013.01.08] TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI'S HEART ACHES OVER "MISSING" SCENES

and in HK 《一代宗师》1月10日在台宣传,特别举行映后记者会,梁朝伟、张震到场出席。梁朝伟大谈咏春,独家解读“心灵出轨”,并自曝曾泪洒香港试映会。TUNGSTAR/文并图标签: 一代宗师  no Zhang Ziyi :/

Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen and Max Zhang Jun yesterday continued to promote the film THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) in Beijing. Today the team will return to Hong Kong for the premiere. Zhang Yimou who was in Beijing also showed his support for THE GRANDMASTERS and met with Wong Kar Wai, Zhang Ziyi, and Chen Daoming after the premiere for a brief chat and photos. Wai Jai yesterday revealed after the premiere that his heart ached the most over many "missing" scenes.

Yesterday Wai Jai, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen and Zhang Jun all wore sunglasses for their interview. They said that they wanted to salute the director. Wong Kar Wai revealed that the film's complete version was 4 hours, finally he cut it down to a 130 minute version. For the completeness of the story he had to make choices and cut many actors' scenes.

Wai Jai had the most screen time but also had the most scenes removed. Suffering the most "wounds" from editing, he said that every time after watching Wong Kar Wai's movies he felt the same way as he questioned where did his scenes go? Every time he had to watch the film two or three more times before he was able to get into it. Then he would think where did Zhang Ziyi and Xiao Shenyang's scenes went? Why would scenes that had finished voice work were go missing? Wai Jai admitted that he would remember these few years for a lifetime, aside from learning something new he also created a new character. In addition he has been a kung fu fans since childhood, he never imagined that he would study kung fu in his 40s. However he still enjoyed it and thought it was a lot of fun. He said that he has never been so positive and optimistic in a Wong Kar Wai movie, as he was full of positive energy.

In the same manner, Zhang Ziyi said that she thought a scene in which she expressed her inner loneliness was very sad but very powerful would be kept. Her hope finally died when the end credit came out, as it was truly removed; however, she understood that with only 2 hours and 10 minutes, Wong Kar Wai indeed had a hard time with the decision. As an actor she like the audience had no idea how Wong Kar Wai's ending would be until the end.

Zhang Ziyi also appeared on a Mainland television program. She demonstrated her well practiced Eight Diagram palm and won thunderous applause from the audience. She recalled that she had no complaint despite the trainer's hellish training. Everyone was concerned with her marriage, Zhang Ziyi admitted that she will definitely wed and even revealed that her best dish was egg and tomato.
 Posted by hktopten 

BALLER!!

[2013.01.09] TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI MAKES DONATION TO BUDDHIST CONSTRUCTION

Wong Kar Wai last night led Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen, Max Zhang Jun and others to THE GRNADMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) Hong Kong premiere. Wai Jai and Zhang Jun both had their wives Carina Lau Ka Ling and Ada Choi Siu Fun in tow. Wong Kar Wai who has always appeared with sunglasses during the drum ceremony rarely removed them perhaps due to confetti and revealed his eyes.

THE GRANDMASTERS was accused of resembling IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (FA YEUNG NIN WA). Wong Kar Wai explained that he already had the idea for the film as early as 1989, even earlier than MOOD. "The preparation took years because I had to visit seven or eight provinces for martial art masters." Zhang Ziyi did not conduct any interview. Song Hye-Kyo was in Korea but sent a video.

Wai Jai broke his arm twice for this film. A magazine reported that he donated 400,000 yuan RMB to construct a 12 meter tall Goddess of Mercy statue in Jiangsu. He said, "Ka Ling has always donated to Buddhist statue constructions. Charity should follow the heart and not announced, but it has nothing to do with praying for his safety. I have been injured more from skiing than from movie shoots." Ka Ling reportedly donated a romance tree with their names on it in Suzhou. Wai Jai said, "That's interesting, I don't know too much about it." Wai Jai did not believe that Song Hye-Kyo was upset that her role was reduced. "Wong Kar Wai wouldn't be at odds with anyone, I too had my scenes cut." He described after three years in production the final half a month exhausted him thoroughly, as hard as the last 10 minutes of a marathon. As for Donnie Yen Chi Tan stating that he would watch THE GRANDMASTERS, Wai Jai said, "I am not afraid of comparison, I have my own interpretation angle."

The 5 month pregnant Choi Siu Fun wore 4 inch high heels to support her husband. Earlier she also had a miscarriage. Zhang Jun said, "Now it's fine, she can jump. She is too energetic." In the film his fight scene with Zhang Ziyi was praised. Zhang Jun said that when he watched it he too was very pleasantly surprised.
 Posted by hktopten 

[2013.01.10] THE GRANDMASTERS OPENS WITH 30 MILLION YUAN

Wong Kar Wai's THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) two days ago was released in the Mainland and made 30 million yuan RMB, the best Mainland box office for a Wong Kar Wai film. Back then 2046's total box office was only 30 million yuan.

THE GRANDMASTERS two days ago officially opened in the Mainland, the first day box office was 30 million yuan RMB. It was the best Mainland box office performance for a Wong Kar Wai film. In 2004 2046's Mainland cumulative box office was only 30 million. In 2007 MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS after a week only made 10 millon yuan.

THE GRANDMASTERS had completion from LOST IN THAILAND, CZ12 (SUP YI SUN CHIU) and other hit films, but because they have been in release for some time THE GRANDMASTERS has an advantage. On its opening day it occupied 38% of the national showings and opened with 30 million yuan; however, its competition will only grow stronger with SKYFALL on the way.
 Posted by hktopten 

[2013.01.09] TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI MAKES DONATION TO BUDDHIST CONSTRUCTION

Wong Kar Wai last night led Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen, Max Zhang Jun and others to THE GRNADMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) Hong Kong premiere. Wai Jai and Zhang Jun both had their wives Carina Lau Ka Ling and Ada Choi Siu Fun in tow. Wong Kar Wai who has always appeared with sunglasses during the drum ceremony rarely removed them perhaps due to confetti and revealed his eyes.

THE GRANDMASTERS was accused of resembling IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (FA YEUNG NIN WA). Wong Kar Wai explained that he already had the idea for the film as early as 1989, even earlier than MOOD. "The preparation took years because I had to visit seven or eight provinces for martial art masters." Zhang Ziyi did not conduct any interview. Song Hye-Kyo was in Korea but sent a video.

Wai Jai broke his arm twice for this film. A magazine reported that he donated 400,000 yuan RMB to construct a 12 meter tall Goddess of Mercy statue in Jiangsu. He said, "Ka Ling has always donated to Buddhist statue constructions. Charity should follow the heart and not announced, but it has nothing to do with praying for his safety. I have been injured more from skiing than from movie shoots." Ka Ling reportedly donated a romance tree with their names on it in Suzhou. Wai Jai said, "That's interesting, I don't know too much about it." Wai Jai did not believe that Song Hye-Kyo was upset that her role was reduced. "Wong Kar Wai wouldn't be at odds with anyone, I too had my scenes cut." He described after three years in production the final half a month exhausted him thoroughly, as hard as the last 10 minutes of a marathon. As for Donnie Yen Chi Tan stating that he would watch THE GRANDMASTERS, Wai Jai said, "I am not afraid of comparison, I have my own interpretation angle."

The 5 month pregnant Choi Siu Fun wore 4 inch high heels to support her husband. Earlier she also had a miscarriage. Zhang Jun said, "Now it's fine, she can jump. She is too energetic." In the film his fight scene with Zhang Ziyi was praised. Zhang Jun said that when he watched it he too was very pleasantly surprised.
 Posted by hktopten 

TONS OF ARTICLES!! looks like a hit, can't wait for it to make it over here and the major Hollywood types get to know Tony and Kar-wai :yep:

eta:

eta:

DAMN!! this bitchslapping scene left on the cutting room floor :lol:

[2013.01.13] SONG HYE-KYO SLAPS TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI

Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Song Hye-Kyo's intimate scene is left in the cutting room floor

Wong Kar Wai's THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) in Hong Kong after two days in release accumulated HK$2.82 million at the box office (exclusing late shows). With stronger and stronger momentum it pulls away from the same week release, Wong Jing's YOUNG AND DANGEROUS: RELOADED (GOO WAT JAI: GONG WU SUN DIT JUI); the latter accumulated only HK$860,000 over two days.

Wong Kar Wai initially cut THE GRANDMASTERS into a 4 hour edition. Due to running time restriction he cut it down to the current release of 130 minutes; many scenes were "missing". Yesterday the film company distributed the second production special, in the 3 minute and 41 second content many removed scenes reappeared. Wai Jai personally explained Ip Man and talked about his kung fu training.

In Leung Chiu Wai's eyes Ip Man was mild mannered and elegant, he did not resemble a kung fu person; he rose and fell and in the end he was able to calmly be himself. Wong Kar Wai hoped that Wai Jai's Ip Man performance would be a mix of Ip Man and Bruce Lee. He tried to combine them for the effect. Wai Jai said that Ip Man was enjoyed kung fu as much as Bruce Lee but normally he was so mild mannered that no one knew he could fight.

When he explored the character, he thought that the character appearance could be expressed through technique. Yet if he did not understand the inside of the character he had no way to express its aura, which was not something that could be achieved over night; this his long term training was necessary. He broke his arm twice, the first time was a hair line fracture, the second time was already as severe as saw tooth; everything he did was for THE GRANDMASTERS.

In the production special the removed scenes included Wai Jai and Song Hye-Kyo's sweet romantic couple scene, Wai Jai sweetly smiled with Sister Kyo in his arms. When the Japanese military arrived, they got into a struggle and Sister Kyo slapped him. Chang Chen in the release did not face Wai Jai. His appearance with a razor to fight Wai Jai was also unveiled. The production special even uncovered that Ip Man once visited Master Gong Er in the Northeast. Wai Jai in the drifting snow passed through the plum blossom courtyard, where they encountered each other again.

THE GRANDMASTERS decoding even had Julian Cheung Chi Lam as two characters, not only the Chinese Opera actor but also Zhang Ziyi's fiance. In this scene he only made an appearance in a flash.
Posted by hktopten 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:00:34 AM by daigong »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »
[2013.02.01] TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI CANNOT ASK FOR MORE

梁朝伟和张晋等1月31日出席《一代宗师》庆功宴活动。抱恙的梁朝伟表示刚到旺角出席谢票活动,《宗师》票房报捷,梁朝伟表示替导演王家卫开心。TUNGSTAR/文并图

Yesterday Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Yuen Woo Ping, and Lau Ka Yung attended the Hong Kong University "Who Is THE GRANDMASTERS film forum". The 1000 seats were filled in two hours, with 600 people waiting outside. When Wai Jai appeared the crowd roared and gave him a standing ovation.

Wai Jai attended an university forum for the first time. When asked whether the film will have a sequel due to good word of mouth? He said, "No, I am not afraid of 3 more years in production. Time isn't a problem, I just want to try something else to have a sense of freshness." Reportedly the Berlin Film Festival screening will be an extended version, Wai Jai asked Wong Kar Wai to confirm. He said that another version would not be fair to the audience, he might edit out some scenes that foreigners would not understand. He would not demand to add back his removed scenes as he thought that as it is now the movie is rather entertaining.

Reportedly he was upset at the size of the role and he was at odds with Wong Kar Wai. Wai Jai laughed and said, "Hahaha, you are killing me, am I this type of person? I have been friends with Wong Kar Wai for so many years that I wouldn't mind. I am 50 years old, I have everything, what else do I want? Instead I have to learn to give, to do charity work on my free time, help those who aren't as fortunate. I took two years off before, life was brilliant. When I woke up I would drink with friends until I fell asleep. With sustenance and responsibility, life would healthier." After promoting in Korea and the U.S., he will take two months off before deciding on his charity work. He was willing to do charity work with his wife Carina Lau Ka Ling as well.

Action director Yuen Woo Ping praised Wai Jai's kung fu film prowess. He should not be compared to Donnie yen Chi Tan, as their styles and specialties were different. Was Chi Tan better? He said, "Wai Jai is great too, they are great in different ways. Wai Jai's action sense is great, he is just being humble." After the two hour forum ended, they went to Mongkok for audience appreciation and celebrated with a lion dance.
Posted by hktopten

[2013.02.02] TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI MAKES MOVIES FOR INTEREST

The film THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) broke HK$20 million in Hong Kong and closed in on 300 million RMB in the Mainland. Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Max Zhang Jun two nights ago attended a celebration. Wai Jai was happy for director Wong Kar Wai who finally made a movie that made money. Wai Jai said, "I hope that he would have a hit film that was both a critical and commercial success so he could answer to investors."

Wai Jai was not saying that every Wong Kar Wai film lost money. They did not lose money elsewhere, but they never performed well at home; he would neither ask nor look forward to Wong Kar Wai making more commercial films.

The GRNADMASTERS was not released in time for this year's Hong Kong Film Awards so Wai Jai was unable to receive a Best Actor nomination. Wai Jai did not feel any regret. "It doesn't matter, not because I have won enough but because now my work attitude is different. I am making movie because I enjoy the production process, not for awards." Next year he, Donnie yen Chi Tan and Anthony Wong Chau Sun, three actors who played Ip Man, might compete for the Hong Kong Film Award Best Actor. Wai Jai said, "It doesn't matter. (Are you confident that you will defeat them?) I have thought about it."

Zhang Jun two nights ago returned from Shanghai, put his daughter at home and rushed over. He said that his wife Ada Choi Siu Fun was still working in the Mainland. After this job she would stop working to focus on her pregnancy. "She likes to work, I can't stop her. However every time she works she asks her doctor for permission, she wouldn't be irresponsible." He already knew the baby's sex and expected date of birth but he did not want to reveal them yet. Will he stop after this child? Zhang Jun said yes. Did that mean that this would be a son? He smiled and said, "I haven't said it yet. I only thought two were enough, the children would have a companion." Zhang Jun admitted that after THE GRANDMASTERS he had a lot more work, thus he had to thank Wong Kar Wai.
Posted by hktopten

At Berlin Film Festival!!! 北京时间2月8日(美国时间2月7日),第63届柏林国际电影节在德国柏林举行,图为电影《一代宗师》发布会,导演王家卫携梁朝伟、章子怡亮相。

presser

Red carpet

[2013.02.08] AN AILING TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI AND AN EXHAUSTED ZHANG ZIYI TOUGH OUT THE GRANDMASTERS BERLIN PROMOTION

The 63rd Berlin Film Festival officially opened yesterday. Although among the 19 films that compete for the highest honor Golden Bear prize, none is Chinese film; luckily the Wong Kar wai directed, Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Zhang Ziyi starred THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) is the opening film. Big Director Wong is even the jury chair. Yesterday morning he led American actor Tim Robbins and the jury to meet the media. In the afternoon he host THE GRANDMASTERS press conference.

Although THE GRANDMASTERS has been in release in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan for a long time and its Mainland box office even exceeded 290 million yuan RMB for a new Wong Kar Wai personal record, to Berlin film viewers it is still full of mystery. The premiere ticket was hard to come by, the remaining 3 shows have already sold out in 1 hour.

In order to take care of the overseas (especially European) market needs, Wong Kar Wai earlier stayed in the Bangkok editing room to remove 13 minutes from THE GRANDMASTERS' original 130 minutes to the less than 2 hour International Version. Reportedly the story structure also was adjusted slightly. "The pace is even more intense and the feeling is even more mature."

Actually, Wong Kar Wai has a deep relationship with the Berlin Film Festival. The 1991 DAYS OF BEING WILD (AH FEI JING JUEN) and the 1996 FALLEN ANGELS (DOR LOK TIN SI) both participated in the festival and won European and American film critic word of mouth. This year he is invited to be the jury chair. Yesterday on the eve of the opening ceremony Wong Kar Wai led 6 jury members including 1942's star Tim Robbins, Oscar Best Foreign Film IN A BETTER WORLD's Danish director Susanne Beir, Venice Silver Lion prize winning Iranian director Shirin Neshat and others to meet the media and kicked off the 11 day long film festival.

Another with a Berlin connection was Zhang Ziyi. Her films THE ROAD HOME, HERO and FOREVER ENTHRALLED appeared there. Two days ago THE GRANDMASTERS just completed its Paris promotion and headed to Berlin at night. Tomorrow will be Zhang Ziyi's 34th birthday. 4 years ago she celebrated her birthday in Berlin.

The international film festival frequent guest Tony Leung Chiu Wai was ailing when he met up with Zhang Ziyi in Paris, then they walked the red carpet in Berlin. Luckily his mother tag along, even though he was overseas for this Lunar New Year he would not feel too bad.
 Posted by hktopten

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »

:lol: Young Tony.. Where they dig this up??

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »
Really great speech Tony had on Leslie at the Miss You Much Leslie 10 Year Memorial concert, quoting "Days of Being Wild" - if we are friends for a minute, will you remember me forever? I thought he would sing but still <333

lol Tony TVB casting
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:45:13 AM by Assman »

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »
on Leslie:  "In front of the camera he was a very professional actor. Behind it he was a very sincere, very simple person. Because of movies we often communicated and met overseas for long periods, we became familiar. I don't know where Gor Gor is, my only wish is that he can be happy." (translated by hktopten )

LOL classic tighties

Wu Wai Hong, Leslie Cheung, Chiang Hing Lung, Tony Leung Chiu Wai
 courtesy of mingpao.com

eta:

he'll be a dark horse this year at the HK Film Awards this year

maybe most def next year for Grandmasters.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:27:29 PM by Assman »

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »

POWER COUPLE 2!! Tony and Carina!  at the HK Film Awards.

lol oh man, dug up this MASSIVE early Tony movie 开心快活人 (Happy Go Lucky) from 87. Nice flow! trying to impress the bosses while getting the ladies.

when he was heading down the slapstick comedy route. WOW.

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »

戛纳当地时间5月17日晚,《天注定》首映,梁朝伟刘嘉玲夫妇现身红毯助阵,刘嘉玲金色长裙气场十足。 图库供稿 at Cannes with his woman!

Letting the WORLD know about his Grandmaster

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2013, 10:27:44 PM »
BROTASTIC!!!

Carina Lau Ka Ling two nights ago posted online a photo of her husband Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Andy Lau Tak Wa in a sit down chat. She personally took the photo and they looked friendly and relaxed. Online curiosity was piqued and the response was overwhelming. Last night it had over 1,500 comments and over 3,000 retransmits. Some online described this as a "meeting of hunks" and looked forward to them working together again; A message asked, "What are they discussing? When will they work on another film together? Both are excellent men."

Then hanging at Faye's kids bday party! aww <3

[2013.05.31] YOKO MAKI WANTS TO LEARN KUNG FU FROM TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI

THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) held its premiere in Tokyo last night. The Cannes award winning film LIKE FATHER LIKE SON's Japanese star Yoko Maki presented flowers to director Wong Kar Wai and Tony Leung Chiu Wai, then said that she wanted to learn kung fu from the latter. Wai Jai even flew all over the place to sign autographs for fans and said that it was his honor for Japanese film viewers to enjoy THE GRANDMASTERS.
Posted by hktopten

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Gheee - Beautiful Stungun