JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Cryuff in the Bedroom - Vincent

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485123 times)

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1400 on: January 06, 2008, 02:58:05 PM »
Daigong suggested I post here, so anyone that can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, my comp has been on the fritz since about last Tuesday or Wednesday. One of my ram slots stopped working so I figured it would run a bit slower, but it's running so slow now that I can't even really play music it begins to lag. So I thought of getting a larger ram. But now my comp won't even start with it. (Yes it's compatible I checked). Anyway, so now I'm going to try and buy a new motherboard. Now here's the fun part. I've never have done anything beyond replacing my own ram. My brother always did everything computer related, but now he lives in a totally different state.

So is there any pointers you can give me, or pictures, or whatever. Or do you think the people at the store will help me. (I'm probably gonna go with a no because they want us to pay them to do it all >.>). But I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me XD

I built my pc from scratch.  I bought a case, a motherboard, memory chips, power supply, etc...
I didn't really know what I was doing but was confident enough to try.  I followed the instructions that came with the motherboard which told me which wires to connect where, and once I'd built it it wouldn't start.  In the end I found a local shop in the yellow pages and paid someone to look it over.  In the end it turned out the shop had sold me the wrong memory chips - not only were they wrong but they weren't even a matching pair, (and also some switches were on the wrong setting or something, I forgot the details of that part.)  Apart from that I'd done ok.

Basically if you're confident enough with opening up your pc and rummaging around inside then you could give it a go, but if you're in any doubt then I wouldn't attempt it.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1401 on: January 06, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
Re-instaling the OS I'm fine with, once everything is assemble, I'm pretty much good to go I think. I've just never actually assembled a computer. As for my tower, it's fairly large, so it should be able to handle any size.
Then I would say, buy yourself a motherboard.
Check if the new memory stick you have fits, if not you will need additional memory,
check if you can re-use your CPU, if not you need a new CPU,
check if you can re-use your graphics card, if not you need a new one.
Make sure you can connect you Harddisk (if its 'old' IDE (now also called PATA) make sure you have a motherboard that can connect at least enough of those)
make sure you can connect your CD/DVD/whatever you have.

Backup your data to some external device, or another computer.
Start by picking up the screw-driver :)

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #1402 on: January 06, 2008, 11:21:17 PM »
So I thought of getting a larger ram. But now my comp won't even start with it. (Yes it's compatible I checked).

Can I ask what type of ram your motherboard takes? Like DDR? DDR2 or old PC133?
And if you bought the new ram from a shop, you should try take it back and get them to test it. There's a chance it could be faulty.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1403 on: January 07, 2008, 12:01:56 PM »
Hey guys, Do any of you know a good (and free) uneraser program? I accidentally deleted this one word file, and it's kinda important >_<
Ahh crap!! I did that today too.. (shift+delete) But I didn't delete a word file, I deleted 12 episodes of Cutie Honey The Live..  :banghead:
I could recover 3, but had to download the other 9... The worst part is, I'm not even digging this show, but with the writers strike going on in America, I need something to watch!!

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1404 on: January 09, 2008, 02:43:11 AM »
sorry to be ignorant of this, but i don't anything about DVD region code....

I wanna buy a dvd but it's a Region 2 dvd, and since i'm in the US, that makes my dvd player and dvd drive on my laptop and desktop a Region 1, rite?  so is there any way to play Region 2 dvd on dvd drives without changing the Region everytime, cuz i check the dvd region on my dvd drive and it say i can only change it up to 4-5 times and then it's permanent. 
I'm asking like is there a software or a media player that can play different region coded dvds without messing with dvd drive settings? 

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1405 on: January 09, 2008, 03:22:57 AM »
Use this: DVD43

Its freeware, small, and decrypts DVDs without a problem.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1406 on: January 09, 2008, 11:56:02 PM »
^ so with DVD43 i'd just insert the dvd and copy it then play it as a avi or mpg file?  is that how it works?  ok, thanks for that. 

but i was thinking more along the line of a media player that helps play different region coded dvds.  like VLC, Windows Media Player, DiVX player.  but i guess not, rite? 

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1407 on: January 10, 2008, 12:03:33 AM »
^
Look, with DVD43, it DECRYPTS DVDs.

Meaning you can play it with any media play.
DVD43 doesn't copy movies, it just decrypts.

Just make sure its running and in the tray any time you put in a dvd that isn't region one.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1408 on: January 10, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
oh.... thanks i understand now,  sorry about that...  hehe.  i'm an idiot.  decrypt like decode the dvd and plays it rite?  probably not a good choice of words... but at least it'll play the dvd...  thanks for ur help.

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1409 on: January 10, 2008, 10:23:48 AM »
Personally, I use AnyDVD. It decrypts and removes region protection in the background, so any DVD player or ripper can be used. AnyDVD is commercial software though. (meaning it costs money.)
DVD43 appears to be doing the same, but with less advanced features and it's free.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1410 on: January 15, 2008, 01:52:40 AM »
What's the perfect size for a wallpaper image for the Nokia 5070?

I made a bunch of images, but it gets stretched and doesn't show all of it on the screen, or it's too small.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1411 on: January 15, 2008, 02:31:27 AM »

I made a bunch of images, but it gets stretched and doesn't show all of it on the screen, or it's too small.
Do you have the desktop suite for it? If so there should be an option to "EDIT IMAGES" where it'll let you automatically crop pics to be WP sized.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1412 on: January 15, 2008, 02:53:31 AM »

Do you have the desktop suite for it? If so there should be an option to "EDIT IMAGES" where it'll let you automatically crop pics to be WP sized.

Ah, yes I do, but I didn't know you could do that on there. Thanks! :heart:

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1413 on: January 21, 2008, 03:19:48 PM »
Sorry to double-post, but I keep getting this error when trying to install a version of Nokia PC suite from a disc I bought that came with a data cable..

Err, what's up?

Offline Happosai

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1414 on: January 21, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »
Sorry to double-post, but I keep getting this error when trying to install a version of Nokia PC suite from a disc I bought that came with a data cable...
That may happen if you have an older version of Nokia PC suite already installed.
Try uninstalling, re-booting, and then install an updated version.

(and stop changing your freakin' nickname already!)  :-\

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
« Reply #1415 on: January 22, 2008, 03:02:01 AM »
Also happens if there's a permissions issue with your registry.  http://support.redbarncomputers.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=442&nav=0  Use that script to reset permissions to sensible defaults.  The file it needs to work is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E8BA3E56-D8FE-4A91-93CF-ED6985E3927B&displaylang=en

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #1416 on: January 23, 2008, 10:17:29 PM »
I've got an .mp4 video with bad audio and I have an mp3 of good audio.
Does anyone know a way I can take the bad audio off the .mp4 and replace it with the good audio?
(If it was avi it'd be very easy but virtualdub won't accept mp4.)

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1417 on: January 23, 2008, 10:49:44 PM »
If you don't mind using the commandline, MP4Box can do what you ask. See also the documentation.

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #1418 on: January 24, 2008, 01:51:58 AM »
If you don't mind using the commandline, MP4Box can do what you ask. See also the documentation.

I clicked the link and saw that it works with a GUI called YAMB, then I realised I already had it installed!  it worked a treat.
Thanks for replying anyway or I'd never have remembered I had it!

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1419 on: January 24, 2008, 06:29:33 AM »
no problem  :D

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Cryuff in the Bedroom - Vincent