JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - Surrender

Author Topic: (Group) Chocolat (쇼콜라)  (Read 124317 times)

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
(Group) Chocolat (쇼콜라)
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
Chocolat (쇼콜라)

Melanie, Min Soa, Jaeyoon, Tia, Juliane

twitter , daum cafe , me2day , facebook , youtube

So, apparently the big selling point for these girls is that 3 of the 5 are bi-racial--with American dads and Korean moms. A Paramount Music representative explained “Just like how chocolate has different flavors, Chocolat will be a group that has a variety of different charms to show on stages all over the world. You can definitely look forward to the birth of a great new rookie star. Their debut track is a club style dance track.”, and described their music as "[music that] can be considered a mix of club and electronic dance songs. They’re perfect clubbing songs to listen to in the summer. You can consider it a mix of T-ara’s ‘Roly Poly‘ disco music and 2NE1’s ‘I Am the Best‘ dance music". Chocolat is set to release their debut track, Syndrome, on August 17th with their debut performance set for August 18th's Mnet's "M! Countdown".

Member Profiles

Min Soa (twitter)
-------------------------

Birth Name: Choi Min Ji
Birth Date: June 10, 1989
Position: Leader,  Lead Vocalist
Nationality: Korean
Birth Place: South Korea

Tia (twitter)
------------------------

Birth Name: Tia Hwang Cuevas
Birth Date: March 15, 1997
Position: Main Dancer, Vocalist, "Face" of the Group
Nationality: Korean-American (Korean mother, Puerto-Rican/German father)
Birth Place: California, USA

Melanie (twitter, old twitter)
------------------------

Birth Name: Melanie Aurora Lee
Birth Date: May 5, 1997
Position: Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer
Nationality: Korean-American (Korean mother, Italian/German father)
Birth Place: Seoul, South Korea

Juliane (twitter)
------------------------

Birth Name: Juliane Alfieri
Birth Date: December 12, 1993
Position: Vocalist
Nationality: Korean-American (Korean mother, Italian/German father)
Birth Place: Seoul, South Korea

Former Member

Jaeyoon (twitter)
------------------------

Birth Name: Lee Eun Jung
Birth Date: May 15, 1991
Position: Main Vocalist
Nationality: Korean

Their introduction video and some old dance practice videos:

And lastly, the MV teaser for Syndrome:

I like them so far. Looking at that little introduction video though, Melanie seems very..."Tiffany"...who just so happens to be my SNSD bias (depending on what day of the week you ask, but it's mostly consistent), so that's fine by me. She's, 14, though, along with Tia...which...is sad. Way to make even a young guy like me feel old, kpop.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:49:34 PM by Stryfe »
No longer El Brandinator on Minus. No Longer all All T-ara all the time. All love tho.

Offline krpsygafan

• Member+
Re: (Group) Chocolat (쇼콜라) - Korea's First Bi-Racial Girl Group
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:08 AM »
Oh wow,3 have American dads?! I was expecting a bit better than that! I thought it would be like one would be half Thai,one would be part Swiss,stuff like that!

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:38:23 AM »
I like Melanie's charm. I'll be watching.
Their debut track is a club style dance track.”[/i], and described their music as "[music that] can be considered a mix of club and electronic dance songs. They’re perfect clubbing songs to listen to in the summer. You can consider it a mix of T-ara’s ‘Roly Poly‘ disco music and 2NE1’s ‘I Am the Best‘ dance music".
I listened to the Syndrome teaser. I couldn't hear a tinge of I Am the Best, and I've never heard Roly Poly (don't feel like it). I guess Syndrome is more like the latter.  :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:04:28 AM by mode107 »
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
Oh wow,3 have American dads?! I was expecting a bit better than that! I thought it would be like one would be half Thai,one would be part Swiss,stuff like that!

haha, yeah, when I first heard them referred to as "bi-racial" I expected a little more diversity than THAT, but I guess it's a nice touch. I doubt it'll do much to make them very unique, though.

I listened to the Syndrome teaser. I couldn't hear a tinge of I Am the Best, and I've never heard Roly Poly (don't feel like it). I guess Syndrome is more like the latter.  :P

Yeah..I GUESS they could say it has some similarities with Roly Poly, in the sense that it's an electronic dance track. I think he was speaking on their sound as a whole, though, so maybe some of their other songs will have similarities to "I Am the Best". I doubt I'll be relating them to 2NE1 at any point, though, as they seem to lack the...badassness, if you will. Once you throw in a wink that cute, you've already lost that one, lol.
No longer El Brandinator on Minus. No Longer all All T-ara all the time. All love tho.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »
THOSE TWO GIRLS ARE 14?! NO WAY, SHIT D:

It's another difference between Korea and Japan... In Japan, 14-year-old idols tend to look 14, but in Korea they look at least 16 o_O

I like the idea of having a group where the members would talk English in videos, makes it more approachable to me lol

But that doesn't guarantee my interest tho :D
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:02:45 AM »

Long teaser is long...

Offline Jsx

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • mmmm......
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 05:13:46 PM »
The MV is finally out..... but i cant watch the video properly without  :banghead: Tia does not look 14!!!!! it shuold be a SIN to look SOO much older than u r!

THe video is like 70% Tia and 20% melanie 10% the rest. The other 3 dont get close ups ..... but i like the video

(note somethings different about the profile pictures of the members.... but i cant put my eye on it....) :panic:

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »
(note somethings different about the profile pictures of the members.... but i cant put my eye on it....) :panic:

LMAO. What kind of unreliable image host replaces your images after a certain time...that could have actually ended up much worse than it did, lmao. I've put back the originals.

and, nice, the full video is out. I'm watching this and, I swear, you are not kidding. Only Melanie and Tia get any closeups at all. It's like the others didn't even get to film their closeup shots. They get that one shot in the beginning and that's it. That's kind of a shame. I'd say something like "I'm not complaining about more Tia and Melanie :D", but they're both 14...and...I...never mind, I hate this video, it makes me feel dirty :(

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »
I'm generally interested in this group and I like the song, typical kpop song but I like it. I was a little disappointed in the MV since they were more solo shots of Melanie and Tia mainly cause I think Juliane is really pretty than the rest of the members.

Plus Melanie sorta reminds me of Tiffany but I think it's cause of her facial structure and the way she talks lol /shrugs

Offline krpsygafan

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:39:18 AM »
Yeah. I like the dance and it does seem like an interesting concept. It's better than I thought it would be,it's just a bit weird having underage girls in it.

I think as well if they could have found a girl who was also part black I think that would be more interesting.

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »

I can't with that boob-grabbing move lol
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:39:22 PM by Kid_Alpha »

Offline Rei-chan

• Caribbean Queen
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 07:33:12 AM »
I am disappointed. Expected this group to be pretty cool, but so far nothing about them impresses me. Whoever was responsible for the PV did a terrible job in presenting all the members to the audience. And omg I hate the stupid ending line with the stupid airhead wink. lol

So lame that the blonde girl was given so little exposure in the MV when it seems she's the talented one.

In this MR removed version, it seems that the curly ponytail girl lipsinched all her lines. I wonder why O_o

++    Ongaku! Project   ++

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »
So that Melanie chick seems like a total sweetheart, which makes me want to see her do well and all, but like the rest of you, I feel very underwhelmed! Crap song is crap. I don't even know what that's suppose to be. Their dancing in the MV, particularly from Tia seeing she's all we get to see lol is sloppy and looks messy, the choreography doesn't help. The set & costume design seem very out of place with the song. Overall, I felt like it was poorly produced and left a bad taste in my month. Seeing how much attention this thread was getting + comparisons to two girl groups that I think have the best produced music, I got all excited. Dammit! :lol:

I hope the company learns from the mark they won't be making with this debut and does better next song coz like I said, I want to see them do well coz they are sweeties.

And if you're gonna call your group 'Chocolat' & promote it as bi-racial, give me different flavours of 'chocolate' amongst the members.

Offline krpsygafan

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 01:08:02 AM »
^ It's not that bad! I mean,they could have had a half-black one but it's still good anyway! I don't expect great diversity from Korea or Japan anyway. They don't think in token terms like we do.

I learnt the other day China has a singer called ZNS who is a white guy,that's about it.

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 04:16:35 AM »
^I agree, in terms of KPop, I really don't expect to be wowed at all since a lot of the songs tend to blend with each other sans ballads or softer orchestral ones.
To me the song isn't that great but it's catchy enough for me to put it on repeat.

And yeah I was disappointed when they said they were juggling with the thought of adding a half-black member but in the end decided against it. Would've been interesting. :|

First things first, they need to have Tia drop that last line, it was kinda cute at first but now it's getting annoying. From what I can partially get from this stage, they sang live but they need to work on their endurance a little more and their breathing. I genuinely like this group so I want to see they improve and shine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:50:06 AM by Kid_Alpha »

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 07:03:45 AM »
^I agree, in terms of KPop, I really don't expect to be wowed at all since a lot of the songs tend to blend with each other sans ballads or softer orchestral ones.
To me the song isn't that great but it's catchy enough for me to put it on repeat.

And yeah I was disappointed when they said they were juggling with the thought of adding a half-black member but in the end decided against it. Would've been interesting. :|

First things first, they need to have Tia drop that last line, it was kinda cute at first but now it's getting annoying. From what I can partially get from this stage, they sang live but they need to work on their endurance a little more and their breathing. I genuinely like this group so I want to see they improve and shine.

I agree on most counts...the song isn't terrible, it's kinda grown on me in a mindlessly catchy sort of way. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but how much of it ever really is? The live performances are almost a little painful to watch, but that's also not a rare occurrence, so I can't knock them too much. They're still young, and this is just their debut, so hopefully they will improve.

Also, more diversity definitely would have been nice. In retrospect though, like krpsygafan said, it's not really surprising that they'd blow it out of proportion like that and call them a "bi-racial group" and make references to "many different flavors of chocolate" when the diversity isn't really all that special, lol.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
I am disappointed. Expected this group to be pretty cool, but so far nothing about them impresses me. Whoever was responsible for the PV did a terrible job in presenting all the members to the audience. And omg I hate the stupid ending line with the stupid airhead wink. lol

ROFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLEE Rei :heart: well Tia reminds me of Yuri

Offline Jsx

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • mmmm......
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:04:37 PM »
I still refused to believe she's 14, i told my friend who's into Kpop like........ what u think of her? shes hot right? and he was ilke.... yeah man shes hot

I was likE YOU PEEDOOO! shes ONLY 14~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my friend  said......... "I believe you may now call me a peedo"

when actucally i thikn in korea the age of consent is 14 lolololol. anwyays lets not get into details, still regardless! she can't be 14....!!! i feel too guilty looking at her

my students are her ages and older than her!!!!!

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 04:32:57 AM »

ROFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLEE Rei :heart: well Tia reminds me of Yuri

Whoa man, you ain't kidding! I saw the top half of her face and my brain was shouting "IT'S YURI! THAT'S YURIIIIII!!" but then I scrolled down and saw the rest of her nose and her lips, realising it wasn't SNSD's Yuri.

A friend linked me the MV asking me what I thought of the 'girl in the middle' who I assumed to be Tia. Two things - thank goodness I'd seen this thread well before he linked me and just as well that she doesn't quite cater to my tastes. I just asked, "Mate, isn't she 14 or something?" and he congratulated me before cursing himself :lol:

I didn't think the song was particularly horrible. There was nothing special about it and it was just meant to be mindless and catchy. That said, I couldn't listen to it straight through. I had to keep pausing it because, I don't know, my ears got tired or something along those lines.

I think... I will wait until the release another song, and maybe add a half African or Middle Eastern girl. I wonder what a Middle/Eastern/Korean girl would look like :huhuh :grin:

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - Surrender