JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Smap - Dear WOMAN

Author Topic: (Artist) DJ Baku  (Read 2070 times)

Offline RIZEUP37

• The embodiment of Nihon Hop
  • ecchi
  • Message me anytime on here or MSN I love talking
(Artist) DJ Baku
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:18 AM »
A unique producer and turntablist with unconventional ways, DJ Baku has followed in the footsteps of DJ Krush and established himself in the last 10 years as the rightful heir to the unique Japanese aesthetic of production, DJing and turntablism started by Krush more than 20 years ago.

While comparisons aren’t always the answer, Baku’s work is reminiscent of Krush’s experimental approach to turntablism and hip hop though the young Baku comments that “I’m not trying to follow DJ Krush at all. But in my mind Krush is my master”.

Baku has garnered acclaim not only from within hip hop circles, but from a wide cross section of the music-listening community. He’s played both domestically and internationally with artists such as Q-Bert, Kentaro (Ninja Tune), DJ Krush, Goldie (Metalheadz), D-Styles, DJ Quietstorm and Kid Koala (Ninja Tune). In the studio he has collaborated with international artists including Bleu Bird (Anticon) and Blue Foundation (Virgin) and Japanese artists such as DJ Krush (Sony), Kan (MSC), Goth Trad (POPGROUP, Deep Medi Musik), Think Thank, ‘Heavy’ Takeshi and Saidrum & Bleeder.

Using a wah-wah pedal, hooked up to turntables, Baku gets the most out of his riffs during intense and energetic sets. “With scratching I found I could express simple melodies and even emotions just by the touch of the hand”, divulges Baku.

Baku’s MIX series, produced and released on his own Dis-Defense Disc label continues to gain popularity with releases quickly becoming collectors’ items. His remix work, scratch work and sessions have seen him team up with a wide range of people from national icons to BMX riders.

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Smap - Dear WOMAN