JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yasushi Yoshida - Under Calf, Winged Steps

Author Topic: ~The Decoden Thread~  (Read 10138 times)

Offline Meania

• shooting for the stars~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
~The Decoden Thread~
« on: July 04, 2010, 06:58:40 PM »
Decoden is the art of decorating belongings with gems, glitter, and and stickers, which originated in Japan (I think, there's no wikipedia so I'm going off what I've learnt from various sites/blogs), popular amongst teenage girls. It's known to be VERY cute, sugary and sweet!!~
Mobile Phones are the most common things that get decorated, but compact mirrors, handheld game consoles, mp3 players, etc etc- but mostly portable technology is decorated. Also there is a rising trend for decorating nails in this style- be is real or fake nails.

Risa Niigaki does decoden herself and does giveaways of her works online- and you can find her entries translated by hyapuka subs here and there's a video of her introducing it (appears she only did one video...)
Also, Tsuji appears to of had her phone decorated!

So, anyone here decorate things themselves? Any fans of Decoden here at JPHiP??
Please discuss the art of Decoden here and post photos of your own work, decorated items idols own, or even any really nice examples you've seen that you like!!

For those who do not know what decoden looks like, here is an example found via google to show some decoden at its best!! (I'm not amazing and I don't have any photos to share at this time!)

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: ~The Decoden Thread~
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »
This stuff is wild!

http://www.decoling.com/?lang=en (to steal from ronin :thumbup) has tons of pics of decorations for DS, PSP, and iPhone :shocked:

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:57:31 PM »
This stuff is so over the top! @_@! It's sugary awesomeness~

I'm not quite dedicated enough to get into this myself, but I do enjoy looking at the various designs people come up with. Turning phones or DSs into little pieces of art, it's glorious~ :D

Offline Meania

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:37:08 AM »
; u ; Yeah! some examples I've seen are really amazing-- like people buy fake frosting clay tubes and make decorations to decorate with by hand OAO it's amazing~

My current project is my new-ish clamshell phone!
I originally just stuck the Bow on but later added a couple of roses and gems (I was holding off for a while as I'd ordered some supplies and wanted to have everything with my before I began)

Here's what it looked like last night/today ; u ;

I basically only plan the main big peices positions and then fill randomly- just making sure colours are spread evenly ;  u ;
Looking at it now, this evening I have done quite a bit more- but it's late so I'll post a pic soonish along with.... my collection of gems and bits n bobs! > w < I basically just filled in the top a bit and around the speaker/light on the front and down the right side a little further~

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:51:40 AM »
^ That's amazing Meania! do you need special glue guns?

ronin is into Decoden too? :lol:

Awesome! Rika blings the hell out of her stuff too!!

I wanted to make something for Rika when they went to Finland but bleah, there wasn't enough beads / time.

Offline Meania

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »
^ aww cool >w< I swear some idols just get them custom made OAO Take tsuji for example- her phone looks perfect!! she must commisioned it like that or been given it as a gift!! Her nails are amazing too- I've also noticed Mari (and Gaki for that matter but she's amazing and does hers herself) gets hers done professionally, but for ages now in her blog she's been saying she's keeping them short and simple- fairly rare now to see her with fancy decoden nails > u <

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »
Your phone looks really cute! Do you plan on covering the whole thing?

I've always wondered, though.. isn't this an extremely expensive hobby to keep up with? Don't the jewels, rhinestones, and beads cost a lot? @_@; I don't know, I just assume.. I saw a bunch of decoden stuff in shops in Japan, but as mentioned I'm not dedicated enough to give it a go myself, and the ready-made decoden skins for things aren't that pretty, really.

Nono's phone is insane, woooow! *o* That's taking a theme and really going with it, omg. There are shops you can take your phone to and request designs, so I guess she did that... damn. xD

Oh, that's another thing I'm curious about... do the beads and stuff ever fall off? I'd be terrified of my pretty decorations just peeling off randomly D: What kind of glue is used? How secure is it?

You should post up a little how-to guide! :D

Offline Meania

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
^ Thanks ; u ; yeah I hope to cover the entire phone but I'll have to be careful not to stick the phone together or something!!

In, the past, when I rushed into the hobby it was expensive as I bought a selection of jewels in a craft shop- but if you check out afew places you should come across a good supplier! Your best bet is Ebay- recently I bought afew wheels of small gems and fruit/flower shapes to use that only cost £1 a peice but also some postage- but over all it was a really good deal!
~I bought my supplies here!!~
They send each item in a seperate package but for the price and amount in each wheel/set they're really good! Best I've scene for basic sets. Alternatively, sometimes you can find sets people have made up- I bought 3 sets with big bows and roses and varying sizes off of a girl named Rina in Japan but the sets were a little pricey compared to what I've seen since! ; 3 ;

On my old phone- I used fast dry, standard super glue you could buy in a hardware store but it left marks and made it a little messy looking- and alot of peices snapped off over a year or so (also... once done with my brother managed to pry off most peices with a knife...)
I now use a hi-tack all purpose glue that dries rather slowly but ends up super strong and I haven't had any problems with it so far-- umm I'd reccomend buying glue in a craft shop- there is special glue I think but I've never tried it and don't know how good it would be or expensive! This glue is made by IMPEX- but it's an english company, and you could probably buy similar products elsewhere!

LOL Maybe I will >w< There's not too much to explain- once you know what products to use and possible safety precautions it would a simple case of saying "plan your colour scheme and stick on however you want- but don't fill your item with gluuuueee" XD

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline Meania

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 01:10:21 AM »
Thought I should update with how my phone's looking so far!!~

Filled the front up more!! :P I've just been gradually filling it in-- randomly- I'll just make sure it doesn't repeat too much in the same area ;  u ;
I also stuck a biiiiig sticker on the back and lined all around it was little gems ; u ;
I DON'T KNOW what that sticker says OAO;; it's some sort of love related phrase... but >___<; yeah, I did know vaguely what the japanese read as but I couldn't work out what it meant XD

Also!! Here's the first thing I decorated EVER!!~~ :yossi:

lol I was too cautious with trying to not run out of peices (I had hardly any suppies- just some pale blue + some pale pink assorted peices designed to be stuck onto handmade cards) and tried to make it symetrical!! OAO didn't really work out- LOL and then I went off those colours always being on my ipod XD;;
But~ Everyone has to start somewhere > u <;;
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:29:31 AM by Meania »

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline bonjourhello

• GOODDAYHELLO
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 01:26:51 AM »
^

wrong last pic, go fix your post silly >w< :heart:

I'm thinking of making some stuff, just i need to get some more gems and get some good glue.

Offline Meania

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 01:31:27 AM »
^ LOL thanks~ >___>

If you want some simple sets of stuff I posted a link to the ebay store I used when I bought you those stars ;  u ; so I'd recommend you order from them if you want some basic big sets
and look on other stores and stuff for bigger peices and sets!

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 05:38:34 AM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:52:24 PM by Amplifier »

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:02:15 AM »
I DON'T KNOW what that sticker says OAO;; it's some sort of love related phrase... but >___<; yeah, I did know vaguely what the japanese read as but I couldn't work out what it meant XD

Your phone is looking great! Wow~ I bought a childish sweets related deco kit in Japan, and I wish I'd had room to buy more and bring them to Norway. Making the little straps made me realise that I've missed creating stuff. It's a great hobby!

And the sticker says "ず〜っとラビュ2" which means like "I'll always love you 2" :)

Offline Meania

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »
^ Awesome, thanks!! :D Now I know~

I thought you could buy the sets here but I couldn't see them, they have lots of deco sets on the site :w00t:

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 01:26:18 AM »

mariko outta nowhere!

Offline bonjourhello

• GOODDAYHELLO
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
My first try with decoden :heart: Decorated A compact mirror, i didnt think about it very much, but i think it was good for a first go :heart:

And heres a ipod case present i got, made by the lovely Meania~ :luvluv2:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:43:13 PM by bonjourhello »

Offline Meania

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »
You did really well Kadi ;  u ; I know my first try went badly- it takes time to get used to how to plan/start off...
I normally start by planning where the big peices will go, for example on the ipod case I gave you- I put down the bow, oval, square and heart before putting any others down.
Also, It was difficult for you as you have mainly biggish peices so it's hard to fill all the space-- sometime we'll order smaller peices for you!! :D or something...

Have you done more to it?? It looks more filled in!! :P

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline bonjourhello

• GOODDAYHELLO
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 09:01:38 PM »
nope havent done anymore since yesterday, its proberly looking like that because of the angle.

Offline Meania

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »
I think the peices look a bit tooo big to have one on every nail D: but here are Yuko's deco-den nails for the new drama she's in~~

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline bonjourhello

• GOODDAYHELLO
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »
Recent decorated frame, still needs a bit of work around the edges.

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yasushi Yoshida - Under Calf, Winged Steps