JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: So Nyuh Shi Dae - Dear. Mom

Author Topic: YouTube - downloading streaming videos?  (Read 16480 times)

Offline sayumi_fan

• 重ピンクがんばって!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Sayummy
YouTube - downloading streaming videos?
« on: May 06, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »
I've found a whole bunch of Momusu (and other) clips at YouTube http://www.youtube.com/ but they are in streaming form.  As far as I know they can't easily be downloaded, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that it is possible to save streaming video somehow.  Does anyone know how this can be done?

Lotsa people here have probably been using YouTube for years, but if you haven't seen it yet, it's well worth a look!  Specially if we can work out how to save stuff...

Offline aimaime

• Ai T's Iced Tea
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Gakky^^
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 11:34:24 AM »
there are sites like http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php that help you to download from youtube.

just paste the link into the site and you can download the vid file. it's in flv so you need the right codec/player to be able to view it..

the quality really sucks though at youtube..

sangatsu7 - movies, music, variety shows, japan, aichan, rants, etc..

Offline sayumi_fan

• 重ピンクがんばって!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Sayummy
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »
Thanks for the help with that, I'll give it a try!

Quote from: aimaime
the quality really sucks though at youtube..

So the vids at YouTube are not necessarily the officially released versions, as far as quality goes?  Or they just store such low-grade copies of the official versions?

LATER EDIT:

I've actually tracked down now a site called http://keepvid.com/  It seems that the YouTube people have recently made some changes to the way their site works, and some download methods no longer work.  But I'm currently downloading through Keepvid.com, using Download Accelerator Plus, and it all SEEMS to be working...  we'll see if it plays!

FURTHER EDIT:

Still downloading - bad news is that 'resume' feature of DAP will not work with YouTube, so hope I don't get d/c!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 02:22:02 PM by sayumi_fan »

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 02:23:16 PM »
Quote from: aimaime
there are sites like http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php that help you to download from youtube.

That's the one I've been using lately as the one I was using stopped working.  I noticed that it didn't work in Opera though, so I had to use IE.

Add an .flv file extension to the downloaded files if they save without it.

For anyone who can't play the downloaded files go here and download "free riva flv encoder" from near the bottom of the page.  (Thanks to Joe who originally found this prog.)  Once it's installed you can play the videos, but they play in a tiny little window, but you also get an encoder that lets you convert them to mpg (can also convert to avi but it used a strange codec that wouldn't play for me).  Just remember that when you load the .flv file change the file extension of 'destination video file' from flv to mpg (or avi) OR YOU'LL OVERWRITE THE FILE YOU JUST DOWNLOADED which can be quite annoying if it's taken a while to download, then choose your other settings.  Note that when the prog is encoding it looks like it's crashed, there's no progress bar or anything.  Don't worry, it's working, just wait a few minutes for it to encode your video.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »
Quote from: sayumi_fan
So the vids at YouTube are not necessarily the officially released versions, as far as quality goes?  Or they just store such low-grade copies of the official versions?
I think 99% of downloadable MM and H!P files are 'not officially released', for sure not on youtube.

And yes youtube is so low-quality that I actually not even bother to download the files...

(that 'small window' will be a representation of the pixel size of the video, most are not bigger then 320x240 or something like that)

Offline U.S.S. John E. Badass

• Café 俺
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Let them eat Québec
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 11:27:24 PM »
It seems to me the easiest way is to fish them out of your browser's cache. Being video files, they're probably the biggest things in there, so they should be easy to find.

But yeah, Youtube transcodes the videos to that weird-ass flv format at low quality, so they look much worse than the original files. I don't bother keeping them unless it's something really obscure that I really want.

Also, all of the above goes for Google Video as well.

Offline sayumi_fan

• 重ピンクがんばって!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Sayummy
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 12:45:19 AM »
Quote from: U.S.S. John E. Badass
It seems to me the easiest way is to fish them out of your browser's cache. Being video files, they're probably the biggest things in there, so they should be easy to find.

Ah, maybe I'll have another look at that.  I do it for still pics sometimes, and have tried in the past to do it for vids but for some reason couldn't find them.  Still, that was ages ago so I'll look again - if I need to, after you pointed me to ohbahsan's thread!

But yeah, Youtube transcodes the videos to that weird-ass flv format at low quality, so they look much worse than the original files. I don't bother keeping them unless it's something really obscure that I really want.

Well, yeah, I thought that's how I was going to be - that I'd want some futarigoto so bad that I'd put up with the quality.  But now you've shown me ohbahsan's thread I don't think I'll be relying on YouTube for very much!

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 02:41:43 AM »
Also, all of the above goes for Google Video as well.

You can download google video in avi format.
Click 'download'
then click 'download the video'. (don't download the google video player)
You get a tiny file with a .gvp file extension.
Open it in notepad (make sure word wrap is turned off).
Delete the first bit of text that says # download the free Google Video Player from http://video.google.com/gvp_version:1.1url: so you're left with a line that starts with http followed by a long url.
Copy the entire line into your browser window and you'll be prompted to save the avi.
The file won't play in all video players.  It won't play in windows media player but it plays in media player classic.  If you want it to play in windows media player you can do a direct stream copy with virtualdub but that might make it non-seekable.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 02:53:02 AM by ~Dan~ »
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 08:34:22 AM »
^ Streaming videos mostly do not end up on your browser cache, because the protocol is not made for that.

Also YouTube uses its own player, which might store it somewhere else or only store it in memory (including in its own format), they earn money from the fact you are viewing it, not from you saving it to disk :)

Correcttion... I found a .flv file in the IE cache and it looks like it plays with the free player pointed to here before.

Looks like YouTube messes up a bit in the streaming department :)

• Café 俺
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Let them eat Québec
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:35:08 PM »
Quote from: ~Dan~
You can download google video in avi format.

Hee, I didn't know it was stored like that. It's working, and I can even seek.

You don't need a special player for flv. I know MPlayer and VLC can play it. The can't seek in it, though.

Incidentally, what I use to save true streaming video is MPlayer with -dumpstream. It probably doesn't like rm or qt, but it works like a charm with asf/wmv/whatever.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »
Dumpstream, eh? Care to provide an example of a line to do that? I've been using a GUI, haven't touched CLI mplayer in a while. I used to remember how to dump an animated gif from mplayer straight too. Not anymore, evidently.

• Café 俺
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Let them eat Québec
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 07:22:41 PM »
"mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile filename url" to write the stream from url to a file called filename.

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 11:51:23 PM »
here's all i know vlc plays FLV files fine, just fast foward/rewind instead of mouse clicking though, it works better that way. you can watch them in full screen.

Also I think youtube has upped the resolution on some of their newer streams. around the 1st of may... correct me if i'm wrong on the resolution thing ;) ... and here's the site that i use http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

i use net transport I have different versions on 2 different computers so which ever works for you go with it. um find you a nice little converter that does everything, freeware mostly sucks.. so your best choice is the full version so go find that some where
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 05:47:52 AM »
Firefox now has an extension created by the same guy who developed the tool from javimoya.com/blog. You have to rename the file extension to .flv though. If you're having problems viewing flv files, you can try the flv palyer here. It's only downside is you won't be able to adjust the screen size. If you want to convert the flv files into other formats, I suggest getting cinemaforge. It's free anyway. :)

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline Iamabowl

• Captain of the Inanimate Object Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 10:30:05 AM »
the crappy thing about google videos is that they've started to delete H!P related files :/ There used to be a lot of Hello Morning episodes on there that aren't there anymore.

Offline haryodwi

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 06:51:21 PM »
just enter the url as:

http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=[video-id-here]

to your download accelerator

example: http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=Yuj5fo56Lbw

and save the download with an .FLV extension

Offline momo23

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »
Quote from: haryodwi;306855
just enter the url as:

http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=[video-id-here]

to your download accelerator

example: http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=Yuj5fo56Lbw

and save the download with an .FLV extension

you have proof that this method works? XD

Offline haryodwi

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »
One more, go to videodownloader.net and get a very good extension for your Mozilla Firefox browser.

Offline momo23

• Member+
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 07:04:33 PM »
Quote from: haryodwi;306868
One more, go to videodownloader.net and get a very good extension for your Mozilla Firefox browser.

you didn't answer my last question XD

Offline Ikaruga

• ecchi
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 09:31:25 PM »

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: So Nyuh Shi Dae - Dear. Mom