JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Jewelry - Me Too

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 549241 times)

Offline Yo Jimbo

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #1060 on: April 29, 2009, 05:22:22 AM »
Why does everyone hate the Flames so damn much? Even Calgary hates their own damn team like some illegitimate child. Bah... we'll see you next season.
Crowds are won and lost and won again but our hearts beat for the diehards

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #1061 on: April 29, 2009, 06:09:33 AM »
I don't follow NHL AT ALL, but I can't help when a local team starts to NOT suck.... SO WOOOOOOOO CAPS!  :twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs

The Caps will be facing off the Pittsburgh Penguins next.  :O

The thing is, I have a penchant for Pittsburgh teams... I would've rooted for the Pens, but in this case I'll be cheering for the Caps cuz they're finally stepping up and I just want to stir up trouble with my Pitt friends.   :kekeke:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1062 on: April 30, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »
DAMN YOU CAPITALS! My NHL season is over :thumbdown:

The 2009 NHL Award Nominees

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy
- Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
- Zach Parise, New Jersey Devils
- Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning

Vezina Trophy
- Niklas Backstrom, Minnesota Wild
- Steve Mason, Columbus Blue Jackets
- Tim Thomas, Boston Bruins

James Norris Memorial Trophy
- Zdeno Chára, Boston Bruins
- Mike Green, Washington Capitals
- Nicklas Lidström, Detroit Red Wings

Frank J. Selke Trophy
- Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks
- Mike Richards, Philadelphia Flyers

Calder Memorial Trophy
- Bobby Ryan, Anaheim Ducks
- Steve Mason, Columbus Blue Jackets
- Kris Versteeg, Chicago Blackhawks

Hart Memorial Trophy
- Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline ChocoMochaKei

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1064 on: May 01, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
Canes Fan and Kid .. WTF - Devils Hurricanes Game 6- Apr 26 09

... what?  :shocked  That should be filed under things "you shouldn't do at a hockey game".

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1065 on: May 04, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »
NASLUND TO SKATE OFF INTO THE SUNSET

Proud and classy to the apparent end, Markus Naslund has told his Rangers teammates he is retiring despite having one season at $3 million remaining on the two-year, $8 million free agent contract he signed last summer, The Post has learned.

It is believed that the 35-year-old Naslund, who wore down dramatically as the season and then the seven-game series against the Caps progressed, notified GM Glen Sather of his decision at his exit interview on Thursday, though The Post has not been able to confirm that.

Naslund, whose total of 46 points (24-22) represented a fifth straight season of decline from his career-high of 104 (48-56) he registered with the 2002-03 Canucks, owns a no-movement clause in his contract, meaning that the Rangers could not have assigned him to the AHL Wolf Pack next year in order to escape his $4 million cap hit.

The Blueshirts, however, could have -- and assuredly would have -- bought out Naslund for $2 million during the June 15-30 buyout period. Under that scenario, the team would have been hit with a $2 million cap charge for 2009-10 and a $1 million charge for 2010-11. Knowing that, Naslund simply could have said nothing and collected the $2 million to which he would have been entitled.

But that wouldn't be Naslund; that wouldn't be the man he is, and the classy individual he has been throughout a 15-year NHL career during which he recorded a total of 395 goals and 869 points in 1,117 games. Naslund was a first-team All-Star left wing three straight seasons, from 2000-01 through 2002-03, scoring 41, 40 and 48 goals, respectively.

Naslund came to New York hoping to rejuvenate his game after 11 seasons in Vancouver. But while the heart and the head were willing, his legs weren't. The winger just could not keep up. As such, he would not have fit next year in coach John Tortorella's high-octane system. Hence, the likelihood of the buyout.

But Naslund's retirement -- pending an official announcement, of course -- eliminates that prospect. It also critically gives the Rangers additional cap space with which to work and to accommodate potential Group II offer sheets to Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky.

Without Naslund, the Blueshirts have approximately $37.87 million committed to nine core players under the cap that is expected to come in between $56-57 million if the NHLPA exercises its 5-percent bump.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05032009/sports/rangers/naslund_to_skate_off_into_the_sunset_167356.htm

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1066 on: May 04, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
The fuck man! Naslund wants more money?? Or KHL money! :?

Jagr keeping Oilers in mind

If Jaromir Jagr returns to the NHL, he says the Edmonton Oilers would have first crack at signing him.

Jagr appreciated the effort the Oilers made prior to the NHL trade deadline to sign him for a playoff push, and he respects the NHL club for showing interest.

"I was excited when I heard that Edmonton pushed pretty hard to get me and I really appreciate it. And if I ever go there [the NHL], they would be my No. 1 pick because they showed me the interest first," Jagr said after Canada beat the Czech Republic 5-1 at the world hockey championship on Thursday in Switzerland.

"I will never forget that and I respect that. They would be my first pick."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/04/30/sp-jagr-oilers.html

FUCK!! LMAO! Can't believe the Ducks-Wings Triple OT bonanza. That shit is going to 7, and it's gonna be bloody.

Hawks are tearing it up too. Luongo looking like Mugen everyday XD j/k  honger

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1067 on: May 06, 2009, 01:23:14 AM »

Hawks are tearing it up too. Luongo looking like Mugen everyday XD j/k  honger

LOL Luongo fails like this!

FUck the hawks we taking game 3 tonight!!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1069 on: May 09, 2009, 07:40:17 AM »
Don Cherry swears.

lol don cherry

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1070 on: May 09, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »
Coyotes Bankrupt, May Return to Canada

Posted May 05, 2009 9:40PM By Bruce Ciskie

The NHL has worked very hard to play up the good about this season. There has been plenty to get excited about: interest is up, and the playoffs have been wonderful so far. However, there is a harsh reality looming in Arizona. While the league can claim health for 29 of its 30 franchises, there is one team that doesn't appear immune to the economic problems facing so many. The Phoenix Coyotes have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and it appears their future in Glendale is in serious doubt. There is actually worse news than that for Phoenix fans.

Jim Balsillie has put in an offer on the Phoenix Coyotes. According to a media release, the Blackberry billionaire's offer of $212.5 million (US) for the team is conditional on the franchise relocating to Southern Ontario. "The current team ownership asked that I table an offer to purchase the Coyotes and significant discussions resulted in an offer that is in the best interests of the franchise, the NHL, and the great hockey fans of Canada and Southern Ontario," Balsillie said in the release. The Arizona Republic story notes that an effort will continue to find others who are willing to outbid Balsillie's group.

Balsillie has tried to bully teams into the Hamilton, Ont., area for a few years. TSN notes that the league appears to be on to his game, even though this may be his best ploy yet. Much like Balsillie's previous attempts to purchase an existing franchise, the NHL is once again unhappy with the provision in Balsillie's offer that states the deal hinges on the condition the team can be relocated to Southern Ontario. Sources say the NHL is not happy with what is perceived by the league as a powerplay by Balsillie and will wrestle with this matter in court.

The big key for the NHL, should they decide to continue fighting Balsillie, will be finding local investors. If the guy has the money, and is willing to take on what has been an albatross of a franchise for some time, I see no reason to deny him the opportunity. The concept of hockey in the desert never had a great shot at being successful. While they had moderate success after relocating from Winnipeg, the Coyotes never got out of the first round, and they haven't even made the playoffs since 2002. When you're trying to grow a new hockey base, "consistent failure stemming simply from bad hockey" is not a good way to get it started.

As a result of the losing tradition, the Coyotes never seemed to grow a serious local following, and never got enough financial support to ensure their viability. Any new local owners would be taking on a great risk, likely losing money for the first few years as they try to build a successful operation, on and off the ice.

UPDATE: NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly has released a statement.

"We have just become aware of today's Bankruptcy Court filing purportedly made on behalf of the Phoenix Coyotes. We are investigating the circumstances surrounding the petition, including the propriety of its filing. We have removed Jerry Moyes from all positions of authority to act for or on behalf of the Club. The League will appear and proceed before the Bankruptcy Court in the best interests of all of the Club's constituencies, including its fans in Arizona and the League's 29 other Member Clubs."

Sounds like we're in for an interesting couple of months. Reading this statement, I'm guessing the league has no interest in letting a sale to Balsillie go through.
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/05/coyotes-bankrupt-may-return-to-canada/

Offline ChocoMochaKei

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1071 on: May 11, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »
Ahh Mitchell's hasn't played so well in the past 2 games.  Hopefully tonight they can pull it together and play a solid 60mins.  Go Canucks Go!

Offline ChocoMochaKei

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1072 on: May 12, 2009, 05:43:23 AM »
-_- What a bad game.  Canucks lost.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1073 on: May 12, 2009, 08:52:17 AM »
damn nucks..deserved that lost. blew 3 leads in 1 game. thats just sad. Bieksa and Mitchell sucked hard

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1074 on: May 17, 2009, 08:37:45 PM »
Man, I'm itching to see a 92 replay, but Detroit is too damn strong.  Chicago's going down in 5, and the battle of the Staals will go to at least 6 games, all are gonna be close.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1075 on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:38 PM »
[Mini-rant]

There are a lot of people here in Peg Sheety who are very naive and who still think that we can support an NHL franchise. They say that there's fan support and that people here will be willing to pay single game ticket prices ranging from $60-$75 for nosebleed seats to $150+ for 1st level seats.  Now for anyone who doesn't know, people from Peg Sheety are known (famously or infamously) for being deal-seekers (aka being cheap). Seriously, if people here were willing to pay those types of prices for NHL games, we would have never lost the Jets in the first place! :banghead:

Bullshit articles like the following don't help either, as they just fuel the misguided fantasies of Peggers who want the Jets back.
DOCUMENTS SHOW BETTMAN WOULD FAVOUR WINNIPEG OVER HAMILTON
THE CANADIAN PRESS
5/17/2009 2:43:25 AM

Gary Bettman would prefer to see the Phoenix Coyotes move to Winnipeg than Hamilton, according to court documents filed as part of the NHL team's bankruptcy case.

A lawyer who works for Coyotes majority owner Jerry Moyes says the NHL commissioner told him that last month after he contacted the league to let it know that there was a Canadian purchaser who was interested in moving the team to southern Ontario.

In an affidavit filed Friday, Earl Scudder says that Bettman informed him Hamilton wasn't an ideal destination because Copps Coliseum is over 30 years old, saying "if the team did return to Canada, it would be to Winnipeg."

The franchise moved to Phoenix from the Manitoba capital in 1996.

FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278929

Everyone (well, almost everyone) knows that the only reason Bettman even said this (assuming he did) is because he just doesn't want the Coyotes to leave Phoenix and move to Hamilton even though the market AND the fanbase willing and able to support the team financially IS there. Pulling a stunt like this in an attempt to derail that move is just low and shows that Bettman's priorities have always been with the business end of the league, and not with the sport itself nor with the fans.  :thumbdown:

[/mini rant]

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1076 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
^ The Jets could be community owned like Green Bay Packers. Or share a rink with Saskatchewan like it was the Montreal Expos going to Puerto Rico lol

who's still watching the playoffs man?? Fucking Detroit is getting DiRRRTY!!
Nicklas Kronwall DESTROYS Martin Havlat - WCF 2009 [ Versus Feed ]

Crosby vs Ovechkin was EPIC but shit Game 7, come on man!! Right now, gotta lean for Pens cuz Bill Guerin - once an Oiler!! Besides, Canes just ain't deep enough for this run.

Hawks man, plenty of talent, no finish. They'll learn...Bhulin can only do so much.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1077 on: May 25, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »
havlat got jacked!!

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1078 on: May 26, 2009, 06:55:35 AM »
They tried doing the community ownership thing, where the fans donated money to keep the Jets here for one more season in 95-96.  Sure as hell didn't last long, and its funny how many people here STILL don't understand why, buncha cheap fuckers.  "But, I donated $20!!"   :thumbdown:

As far as the hit on Havlat?  Kronwall lined him up sure, but he's fair game if the puck is in between his feet.  I don't like how he hit him with his forearm and followed through, but he certainly "had" the puck.  And what did I say about Chicago?  Out in five.  Canes gonna get swept?  Didn't see that one coming. :O

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1079 on: May 26, 2009, 06:53:52 PM »

Pat Quinn, Tom Renney to Coach The Edmonton Oilers

:shocked:

Press Conference in about an hour or so.

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Jewelry - Me Too