JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Up Up Girls (Kari) - Abyssal Drop (Akari Saho Vocal Ver.)

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485119 times)

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1920 on: March 18, 2009, 09:45:09 PM »
i have 6gb of ram on my i7 build...im just not a fan of the interface. and the security just blocks everything in its way its just ridiculous. i just need the 64bit for gaming and what not

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1921 on: March 19, 2009, 09:06:46 AM »
Would my computer screw up if I decided to delete my entire "Temporary Internet Files" folder?

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #1922 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21:09 AM »
Probably not, but you should run crap cleaner if you wanna do a good clean up http://www.ccleaner.com

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1923 on: March 19, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »
Probably not, but you should run crap cleaner if you wanna do a good clean up http://www.ccleaner.com

Oh snap, it totally cleared up like 6gb on my computer too. Thanks!!!

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1924 on: March 19, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »
Looks like my Dell is beyond repair.. I'm on my (very) old gateway now.

Any recommandations for a new PC? I don't want to piece one together, an existing model is prefered. I don't need a screen/mouse/keyboard, the ones I have still work fine.

I want at least 4 gig ram, at least 500gig HD and a dvd-writer (dual layer?).

FYI, I only use the PC for watching \video files (concerts, dramas, etc) and for school. I do not play games on the pc, so I don't need a fancy video card.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1925 on: March 19, 2009, 07:15:55 PM »
i have 6gb of ram on my i7 build...im just not a fan of the interface. and the security just blocks everything in its way its just ridiculous. i just need the 64bit for gaming and what not
I have no problem with the Vista interface (and W7 is just around the corner: less annoying with the security) but if your games need it, yeah then no choice.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1926 on: March 19, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »

Oh snap, it totally cleared up like 6gb on my computer too. Thanks!!!

Yar, I've used CCleaner for a while now and it's great.  Another program and discovered when I worked in computer repair was "CleanUp!", which does the same thing as CCleaner.  It'll usually find things that CCleaner doesn't get, so they're great to use together.  It's also free and even more minimalist than CCleaner.

When you first load the program, tell it you don't wanna do a demonstration run, and then go into Options and move the slider up to "Standard CleanUp".

http://stevengould.org/downloads/cleanup/CleanUp452.exe

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1927 on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:19 PM »
i have a question. im trying to install some games on my pc. but it says its not compatible with my version of windows. i know u can right click into property and choose the windows thing, but i cant find the vista version?? what the eff

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1928 on: March 21, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »
i have a question. im trying to install some games on my pc. but it says its not compatible with my version of windows. i know u can right click into property and choose the windows thing, but i cant find the vista version?? what the eff
Nothing is expected to be 'backwards compatible' with Vista  :)

Most of the time you choose from XPSP2 and down, does the games say what version it is for?

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1929 on: March 22, 2009, 01:56:03 AM »
nah it doesnt. it pissed me off so i gave up lol

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1930 on: March 24, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
Microsoft is pissing me of. I got a brand new PC with Office 2007 Student pre-installed and it doesn't recognize the damn product-key! I tried switching the B and 8 and stuff, but nothing seems to work.

I'm using Open Office as a temporary solution, because I have some essays I must finish.. but it sucks compared to the above programs. Any hope of getting the product key to work?

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1931 on: March 25, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
First make sure you have to correct product key for the correct version and language of Office. If that's the case, you should go back to the place that sold you the Office license and complain about it.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1932 on: March 25, 2009, 07:33:56 PM »
...and complain I shall.

I bought the new PC so that I wouldn't have to post in this topic anymore  :banghead: :lol: That worked fine for about three days  :oops:

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1933 on: March 26, 2009, 04:24:07 AM »
BarrieV, if you can, try to install it in the store/over the phone/with a rep. I work at a school, and one of our teachers bought one of the educational versions, and our vendor sent us three or four keys until they sent us one that worked. Don't let them get away with it even if it takes a time or two. Special thanks to Microsoft and their DRM genuine advantage shit that the hackers just crack off, and us legit customers get the Microsoft 'experience'. The education versions of Office seem to have some pretty massive issues when it comes to product keys, from what I've seen.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1934 on: March 26, 2009, 06:08:35 AM »
My firefox crashes so easily these days for some reason.

Should I reinstall it? How will I make sure my bookmarks are saved?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1935 on: March 26, 2009, 06:18:31 AM »
How will I make sure my bookmarks are saved?
To back up your bookmarks, click Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks -> Import & Backup -> Export HTML

That'll give you a separate file that you can keep while you uninstall/reinstall FF (if you choose to do that). Afterwards, just do the same procedure, only this time, end off with Import HTML.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1936 on: March 26, 2009, 08:12:03 AM »
If you want to back up more than your Firefox bookmarks, I would recommend MozBackup. It backs up bookmarks, mail, contacts, history, extensions, cache etc. I believe it even backs up stored passwords.

For a crash investigation of Firefox I would take a look at Ff's plugins and extensions. Try to disable some, or start Firefox in Safe Mode (shortcut should be in the start menu) to run without plugins and extensions. Updating or removing troublesome versions could help.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1937 on: March 26, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »
what does physical memory dump means? i sometimes get that and my comp restarts by itself after

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1938 on: March 27, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »
^ It could mean several things. Most of the time it's either a malfunctioning driver or RAM going bad. Update all of your device drivers. If it persists, burn an ISO for memtest86 and test your RAM with it.

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1939 on: March 29, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
The physical memory dump is caused by a system failure. The BSOD should give you a message in the form of the word "STOP" and some number (may also contain letters). BSODs can be caused by many things, for more info on troubleshooting STOP messages see this site: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

To disable memory dumps (on WinXP) go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Settings button in Startup and Recovery section. Then under "Write debugging information" select (none) from the pulldown menu. This of course doesn't solve the problem which caused the crash.

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Up Up Girls (Kari) - Abyssal Drop (Akari Saho Vocal Ver.)