JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hamasaki Ayumi - My Name`s Women

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485119 times)

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #2020 on: May 23, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »
^ well, here goes nothing..if it doesn't work, I'm totally screwed..doubt anyody has the files I'm look for though :(

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2021 on: May 23, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »
^ well, here goes nothing..if it doesn't work, I'm totally screwed..doubt anyody has the files I'm look for though :(

Usually those recovery programs are really good about getting stuff, unless it's a really really screwed up hard drive or the files were deleted ages ago.  Let us know how things go though, cause I'm sure I could find some more powerful stuff out there if what I linked doesn't do the trick.

Offline Flyp

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 12th gen supporter
« Reply #2022 on: May 23, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
What motherboard do you actually have? Chances are you can run just about any LGA775 chip in it as long as you have a decent powersupply if you're going for a Quadcore.

Spec sheet here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01357119&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

It would be great if I could in fact upgrade to a Quadcore in the future, because I'm really interested in the longevity of this computer.  My last one lasted quite awhile before it finally died, and the only thing that was *really* holding it back was the lack of PCI-E.  The only real limitation on this computer so far is the 4gb RAM limit, which, honestly, isn't that big of a deal to me, because I'm not *too* demanding on performance here.  I'm quite happy with what I have so far ^_^

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #2023 on: May 24, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »

If you got the files from the internet, someone else on the internet has them. Just gotta look and ask.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2024 on: May 24, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
Mine's not so much of a problem but more of a general query, but can anyone recommend a decent spec laptop? I'm looking for one at a suitable price (up to £400 but could go a little higher if I thought it was right), with a minimum of around 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD and anything from a 2.0 GHz Dual Core processor. Not really much of a PC gamer so I'm not too bothered about having a dedicated graphics card and a webcam or Bluetooth is really just a nicety to have, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one.

I had my eyes on a Dell Inspiron 1545. It seems to fit the bill rather nicely, but I'm just wondering what the experts here might suggest :)

Offline Flyp

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 12th gen supporter
« Reply #2025 on: May 24, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
Tuffty:  I may not have extensive product knowledge these days in the computer world, but one thing I am certain about is that I will *never* buy another Dell computer or recommend one to anyone else.

My mother *and* my brother both have worked in the tech support world, and have worked closely with Dell customers, and, living in Dell's hometown of Austin, I know plenty of people who have been in their employ and the stories I've heard about their infamous customer service, poor warranty support, and cheap components have informed me of Dell Hell and I try to steer other people away from it.

So my recommendation is to stay away from Dell if you have other options available to you.  I've heard Lenovo (formally IBM) laptops are very good quality so you may want to look into them.

That's just my US$0.02

Edit: lul, 4 years with jphip, and this is my 500th post!  Woot woot!

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #2026 on: May 29, 2009, 03:19:38 AM »
well, pretty much, things didn't work out at all..all my rare stuff is gone and not returning and my portable is probably shot too..might give up d/l'ing for good..unless there is one REALLY good place to get all of it back

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2027 on: May 29, 2009, 03:42:18 AM »
Can you multi-trim a video with Adobe Premiere Elements 7?  I can't seem to find that option.  most other video-editing software I used have it, but why not Premiere? or maybe they have but I can't find it....

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2028 on: June 01, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »
I re-installed my Windows (bootleg version). How do I get it to recognize Japanese characters again? It all comes out as the default square symbols. This is both for my firefox and my entire computer. I tried the "View" method for firefox, but it doesn't seem to work...

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2029 on: June 01, 2009, 06:21:20 PM »
^ You need to install the Japanese character set. Go to a Japanese page in Internet Explorer and it should prompt you to load it. I'm sure there's another way but that's the way I always got it installed. XD

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2030 on: June 01, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
It didn't prompt me or anything, and I tried the whole View process thing, no luck. Tried using my bootleg Windows disc, but I got this:

Guess because it's a bootleg.. I also went here (and downloaded it) and rebooted my computer. Nothing.  :( No idea what I'm going to do, because I've put in a bunch of discs and they can't seem to find the language files or whatever, it needs.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:54:31 PM by shadowstar »

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2031 on: June 01, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
^ try this version.

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2032 on: June 01, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
Try changing that G:\ to G:\I386 or G:\I386\LANG (assuming G: is indeed your optical drive) - That's where the files should be located. Some bootlegs change up the directories, though, so not sure beyond that. That's where they are on my retail disc.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2033 on: June 01, 2009, 07:07:55 PM »
Try changing that G:\ to G:\I386 or G:\I386\LANG (assuming G: is indeed your optical drive) - That's where the files should be located. Some bootlegs change up the directories, though, so not sure beyond that. That's where they are on my retail disc.
Yeah, that's where it was by default, but it still didn't work. So I tried searching myself in the G: drive, but I couldn't find it either. It's always asking for my disc, but the disc does jack.

^ try this version.
It tells me I need "Office XP" which I assume is Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc. But it's already installed.. don't know it's still asking for it. Tried putting in the disc, also didn't work.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:19:09 PM by shadowstar »

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2034 on: June 01, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
Ok, so now Japanese is showing up on Firefox. But still not on my computer itself, like with my music files.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2035 on: June 01, 2009, 07:44:25 PM »
I'm not really sure what's going on, since I'm running Japanese XP, and never needed to try and install IME..

Do know there are 2 versions though.
Users with Office (the link I posted before)
Users without Office (link)

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2036 on: June 01, 2009, 08:03:32 PM »
The second one apparently doesn't work with my version of Windows..

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2037 on: June 01, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
Did you try browsing the Office CD for the missing files? (just read that they should also be located on there)

Anyways, sorry I can't help!!

3:30am, and Guchi's off to bed..
Gotta get up early and do orientation at a shopping centre I've been working in for the last 5 fuckin' years..  :banghead:

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2038 on: June 02, 2009, 12:36:32 AM »
If you are getting Japanese in Firefox try restarting and it might start working in Windows itself. I think I've had that happen when I first install it.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2039 on: June 02, 2009, 01:38:30 AM »
It's weird, but yeah.. still doesn't work. Ugh.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hamasaki Ayumi - My Name`s Women