JPHiP Radio (36/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Love Machine

Author Topic: The Idoling!!! Discussion Thread  (Read 759543 times)

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
Re: The Idoling!!! Discussion Thread
« Reply #1760 on: December 14, 2012, 01:46:01 AM »
Well it might be a bit too deceptive but its okay I guess. I mean, imagine the happiness of all the MCZ fans when the kouhaku list was announced. After all the "hard work" in supporting now one goal is achieved. Whether its just a marketing strategy or indeed a pure goal both are satisfies, fans and artist. I say its all good, we're talking about the idol culture anyways.
I was going to mention the fact that this is the idol industry (one based on deception to some degree) in my last post, but I figured it goes without saying, haha. I just feel like the goal thing sometimes borders on making it a little too obvious and on-the-surface deceptive.  I definitely understand it, and it definitely works for most fans, but I think the degree of apparent-ness can make a difference for me, and Avex seem to be the worst with it.

Offline Jenus

• Member+
« Reply #1761 on: December 14, 2012, 03:50:27 AM »
carrying over the talk about Idoling dance choreography from the episode discussion thread, since this is the proper thread.

I do agree that most of their choreography are really simple and mundane and that's usually the first thing people would realize whenever i introduce idoling to them. The first Idoling!!! PV I watched was Kokuhaku and then I found the Heyx3 vid Onegai Fansubbing did on Moteki no Uta and how Downtown said its too easy even they can dance to it, it really staple down to your head that they are really simple. But I guess, its because of that also the girls are more open to just have fun on stage during encore or certain special events. Though what drew me to the group is the show but it was when I watched the 5th live, that was when I was totally hooked on the group. I've never in my life seen an idol group just out there on stage having so much fun with each other. At that particular time, AKB was on the rise and H!P was slowing down a bit and both group are just pretty strict on their performance.

At that particular time, I felt that H!P was really going all out with all sort of dance (I think I recalled C-ute's Namida no Iro just released at that time when I started with Idoling) and AKB just started to go aggresively on the promotions and then here an Idol group that didn't really focus on their dance and actually on various events seen just having fun. 5th Live, 6th Live, Ooiso long beach live, hachitama lives and it seems to me that they were really having fun up there and that is I thought that is a pretty rare scene to see. Its amusing to see and I look forward to such scene all the time that they have a live. The last one I saw was the Yarakai Heart in TIF and that was a blast.

If they are really crazy on the dance routine I don't think that they'd be doing these stuff because, well after working so hard perfecting it of course they'd want to show the end result to the fans. So I'm glad that Idoling!!! has simple routine, it doesn't really bind them to the dances too much.

notice the so many "I", lol this is all just my take on idoling!!! dance. I like it this way.
Finding the dance element lacking is a valid point but I don't agree that the dance element has been neglected or that dancing element is the biggest reason for Idoling's lack of success in the mainstream.

Ever since Ruka joined the group and finding out that she has background in dancing, the staff has started to put in dance segments in numbering lives, so the dance element in reality has gotten more prominent. I also suspect that the reason why the choreography for the songs themselves remain plain is due to the fact that Idoling sing live, whereas groups like AKB and MCZ don't so such groups can fully concentrate on doing more extravagant choreography even while performing the songs. Yes HP groups can sing live and do more complex dance routine at the same time, but Idoling simply does not have the same level of dance ability as well as technique to execute a higher level of choreography overnight, they just don't have the fundamentals, and will not look so good in trying to do a more complex choreography.

While it's not wrong to think that improving the dance aspect yielding to more appeal of the group, however people need to realize and see things in a more objective manner, Ruka is a decent dancer, but she's not the greatest either, in terms of dancing Ruka is just average when put up against the best out there, so marginally improving the dance skill for the rest of the group will mostly go unnoticed. Instead of trying to improve an aspect that is not that great to begin with, Idoling should focus on the aspect that is already very high level and expand on it, which is the singing talent of the 1st gen trio. Unfortunately, the management simply doesn't get this and is keep going the wrong way by making the songs less challenging to sing, and focusing on only showcasing the youth members and force-feeding the "cute and young" image rather than "mature and graceful" side of Idoling.

Idoling is light-years behind in terms of dancing skill to the likes of Morning Musume, Fairies, and E-girls, instead of trying to improve only to be behind still, they have to make the most of what they are best at, and as far as the live stage is concerned, it's their SINGING talent.

That's the problem with Idoling!!!, they don't really have an end goal which is clearly mentioned. MCZ has been harping about wanting to appear on Kouhaku, this year they got it. TGS aims for being big even until Asia, went overseas once and Budoukan is the first step. Having a clear goal like this helps fans enthusiasm too since we can aid for the cause. So what does Idoling!!! aim for actually?

Regardless, Idoling!!! do mirror Bakarhythm success. He has been there in the entertainment business for quite a while, slowly getting famous without anyone even realizing and by the time everyone came to their sense, He's already big. Instead of rising up to stardom super fast and then fall as hard, both Idoling!!! and Masuno just drift there slowly and surely.
When the 5th generation voting scheme backfired, the staff probably realized that using such superficial goals to motivate fans don't work. Besides, the group concept of Idoling is all about having silly fun and not caring about the accolades and recognition by the industry as the staff would like to have fans like AEUGNewtype to believe, but even that has come under scrutiny ever since the staff has been sucking up to Kikuchi hardcore to reveal their true colors of being two-faced.

As far as mirroring Bakarhythm's success, I can only laugh in a sarcastic manner, yes Bakarhythm has reached the very top in his profession within the industry as a solo comedian, however to imply that Idoling is mirroring the same type of success is simply not even close to being true, Idoling is still stuck very solidly in the 2nd tier of their respective industry as more and more idol groups pass them by while Idoling is showing no signs of going anywhere soon. It's rather baffling to me that Idoling can't even manage to have Bakarhythm's success rub off to them in some way seeing that they are very deeply intertwined, it's almost as if Idoling is invisible to the mainstream no matter what.

A good example of this Idoling being invisible would be the case where Tonchan was in a very big hit drama Marumo, where its theme song at one time has outsold AKB in Oricon rankings, and the two child actors in the drama have gone onto becoming household names, yet Tonchan remains as anonymous and unknown as before, that is very discouraging. This is when I have conceded to the fact that Tonchan doesn't have that special star genes to make it on her own because even as a supporting role, the ones who has the magic typically will shine in such an opportunity and would get noticed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:19:34 AM by Jenus »

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #1762 on: December 14, 2012, 04:12:57 AM »
Yeah, I love that Idoling!!! doesn't focus much on dancing because that's at the very bottom of the list of things that I care about when it comes to enjoying idols.  They could be running around like retards on the stage for the entire concert as long as they're singing and being entertaining, I could care less.

Offline kei_86

• Umeko's kappa~!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1763 on: December 14, 2012, 04:25:30 AM »
Just a correction, MCZ sings live despite the crazy choreography

They could be running around like retards on the stage for the entire concert as long as they're singing and being entertaining, I could care less.

which they actually do XD But all the more reason to love it hhahaha

edit: oops didn't see the "Entire". but it'll be awesome if they do it once
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:31:19 AM by kei_86 »

Offline Jenus

• Member+
« Reply #1764 on: December 14, 2012, 04:47:47 AM »
I suspect that MCZ is doing voice layover on top of live singing, I don't think they have that strong vocal strength, I've seen them perform on TV and those are clearly not live singing.

I don't really mind Idoling being goofy on the live stage during the MC as that's like an extension of their variety aspect from the TV show, but I rather see them not goof off WHILE singing like Sakai is doing, I really wanted to punch her in the face when she did a goofy rendition of her solo line in Sara Sara Cutico. One of the appeal of being a fan of Idoing is seeing a different side to their variety aspect on live stage and when those two are mixed together like that it just ruins the "idol" side of the group.

Do I really want to see Sakai and Umeko being drunk and sing like sailors high on weed, while Ojima and Nomoto are being grotesque by farting at each other's faces, and Okawa and Ito are trying to outdo each other in their weird movements, and Kikuchi won't let go of the mic and keeps on talking even during performing a song, and KY Goto staring creepily into the camera in desperation of getting noticed in any way, and Nagano over-doing her exaggerated idol poses and faces and still totally not getting the concept of what Idoling is about and getting neglected, etc., no I don't want to see it, the lame variety show is plenty enough platform for that.

Offline kei_86

• Umeko's kappa~!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1765 on: December 14, 2012, 07:15:25 AM »
I've seen them perform on TV and those are clearly not live singing.
:rofl:

in regards to idoling!!! good job surviving those, there'll be more to come for sure.

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #1766 on: December 14, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
Stuff

Most of the time, MCZ perform live vocals.  What usually happens is that the first song or two will be sung with backing tracks, and then they'll start to sing on their own after that.  If you'd like to confirm, you can check out the following:

4.10中野サンプラザ大会 ももクロ春の一大事
サマーダイブ2011 極楽門からこんにちは
ももいろクリスマス in 日本青年館
ももいろクリスマス2011 さいたまスーパーアリーナ大会
ももクロ 秋の二大祭り 「男祭り+女祭り2011」
Feel free to PM me for Japanese to English translations.

Offline Jenus

• Member+
« Reply #1767 on: December 14, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
Stuff

Most of the time, MCZ perform live vocals.  What usually happens is that the first song or two will be sung with backing tracks, and then they'll start to sing on their own after that.  If you'd like to confirm, you can check out the following:

4.10中野サンプラザ大会 ももクロ春の一大事
サマーダイブ2011 極楽門からこんにちは
ももいろクリスマス in 日本青年館
ももいろクリスマス2011 さいたまスーパーアリーナ大会
ももクロ 秋の二大祭り 「男祭り+女祭り2011」
Yeah well I don't consider that live singing. MCZ is also horrible singers so it's not like singing live adds any merit to it either.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:58:49 PM by Jenus »

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #1768 on: December 14, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »
Bro you are too hard to please  :lol:

Offline Jenus

• Member+
« Reply #1769 on: December 14, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
Bro you are too hard to please  :lol:
It would be very hard to find anything pleasing out of MCZ's singing ability if you ask me, and I'm not a fan so I really don't care either way.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1770 on: December 14, 2012, 05:28:42 PM »
^Shiroi Kaze.
Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntq_1-G5xo
Anyway, other groups aside, most of you are arguing Idoling has some talented singers, right? As a casual fan, I'm not too familiar with most of their live performances, so I would appreciate it if some YT clips could be linked that really showcase their potential. (group/solo, anything)

A good example of this Idoling being invisible would be the case where Tonchan was in a very big hit drama Marumo, where its theme song at one time has outsold AKB in Oricon rankings, and the two child actors in the drama have gone onto becoming household names, yet Tonchan remains as anonymous and unknown as before, that is very discouraging.

Are you referring to that Maru Maru Mori Mori (or something) song? I didn't even realize Tonooka was in that drama. Dayum. Those kids are still appearing in various big shows, so yeah, sad Tonchan missed the boat here. I guess she realizes a career in show business/acting will be difficult to maintain for her, so I'm glad she decided to continue her studies as a back-up plan.  :oops:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:29:56 PM by SomethingWild »

Offline Inferno

« Reply #1771 on: December 14, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
I have not watched that drama yet, but I remember someone saying that she did not have any dialogue, when she was still doing it. Plus, she is still one of the quieter girls in Idoling. She has the looks, but not the needed skills.

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #1772 on: December 14, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
Anyway, other groups aside, most of you are arguing Idoling has some talented singers, right? As a casual fan, I'm not too familiar with most of their live performances, so I would appreciate it if some YT clips could be linked that really showcase their potential. (group/solo, anything)
There's a somewhat limited amount of stuff on YouTube regarding Idoling, but there are a few things..

I present to you Endo Mai  :bow:

And a great clip showing the group live singing. Kaede is the only one who sounds kinda weak here:

These are just things I recently found on YT, since most of my other stuff is HD video files I downloaded or concert DVDs, but there's just a few.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:10:33 PM by AEUGNewtype »

Offline SuzukiRyo

• Not
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • tktktakeru
    • Suzuki.Ryo
    • tktktakeru
« Reply #1773 on: December 14, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »

Offline Jenus

• Member+
« Reply #1774 on: December 14, 2012, 07:25:03 PM »
I have not watched that drama yet, but I remember someone saying that she did not have any dialogue, when she was still doing it. Plus, she is still one of the quieter girls in Idoling. She has the looks, but not the needed skills.
Tonchan wasn't exactly in every episode, that's for sure, but she did have enough lines to get noticed if she had the "it" factor. I think Tonchan is simply mis-casted, or has bad timing in regards to the co-stars. Her yankii role in the other dramas just didn't suit her at all. Granted, Tonchan is not ugly by any means, but within the context of celebrity standard, her looks are a bit plain and not very contemporary. So having to co-star alongside the symbolic contemporary star like Sasaki Nozomi would totally diminish Tonchan's appeal a great deal. In the case of Marumo, it was a relatively unknown actress who played the love-interest of Marumo that got the spotlight, and now she's treated like an A-list actress who is in the drama Tokyo Zenryoku Shoujo now with Takei Emi (possibly the busiest and most sought after actress now in Japan).

This is why I have much higher hopes for Yurikaru instead, because her looks can stack up with the best out there, she absolutely shined in very few episodes she did appear in Forze as she has the looks to keep up with the lead actress Shimizu Fumika. Yurikaru is keep getting more solo work and one of the few members that I feel confident in being successful.

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #1775 on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:07 PM »
That version of Don't Think Feel is Sugoi!!! If only Maipuru and Aichan were there, are there any other songs done like this SuzukiRyo?  :)

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #1776 on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
Yeah, that version of Don't Think Feel is amazing, and I don't even like the original song, but that version is much better because of the arrangement.  It really shows how strong of singers they really are when they're not dancing around and wasting their breath so much. And like kuyo said, they didn't even have 3 of their strongest singers (Mai, Okawa, and Yurippe) there for that video, and it still sounded that good.  That live video I posted with the 3 songs on Girls' Factory is a similar scenario, the stage they were on was so small they didn't really have room to dance all energetically, so they sang 10x better than they do at a lot of their other concerts.

As far as there being other songs like that, it seems like there might be a few others from that same performance, but I'm not sure, and I just watched the 11th live the other day and Mai did a solo version of Like A Shooting Star with just one acoustic guitar like that, and there were a few performances on the earlier concerts like 6 and 7 where they did similar things for songs like Omoi no Uta, etc.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:17:16 PM by AEUGNewtype »

Offline SuzukiRyo

• Not
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • tktktakeru
    • Suzuki.Ryo
    • tktktakeru
« Reply #1777 on: December 15, 2012, 02:19:56 AM »
That version of Don't Think Feel is Sugoi!!! If only Maipuru and Aichan were there, are there any other songs done like this SuzukiRyo?  :)

"No-microphone performance" is a routine corner at Shibuhachi live, but only that episode was recorded.

Full episode

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #1778 on: December 15, 2012, 03:08:05 AM »
Mai Endo's solo performances are a great listen- the live instrumental background is very welcome, and she picks great songs to fit her voice.

Also the Girls Factory performance of the group was very impressive- I found their perfomance of やらかいはぁと in particular to be an example of idol pop music at the highest level- voices great, nice costumes, choreagraphy moving the various members back and front, the smiles on all of the girls's faces- everything was clicking.

There has been some concern on this thread about the future of  Idoling!!!, and for those who are worried about that future, it must be  frustating indeed, knowing how much talent is contained in this group.

But I have always considered Idoling!!! to be part of the top pyramid in the idol-pop world (the others being Hello Pro groups, and that three lettered two numeraled group whose name shall not be mentioned  :roll:)-and lately Momoclo making a strong burst to the top rank.

I think Idoling!!! has lots of good times ahead of them........ :cow:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:40:56 AM by muppet »

Offline SuzukiRyo

• Not
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • tktktakeru
    • Suzuki.Ryo
    • tktktakeru
« Reply #1779 on: December 15, 2012, 03:24:34 AM »
As solo singer, I like maipuru. But as one of a member, it's just unbalance.

===

Meanwhile...

Ruka! XD
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:30:14 AM by SuzukiRyo »

JPHiP Radio (36/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Love Machine