JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Satisfaction

Author Topic: Official Racing Thread  (Read 137353 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Official Racing Thread
« Reply #420 on: May 07, 2007, 04:47:24 AM »
Damn, didn't these guys learn their lessons 2-3 years ago when Williams had that awful (and ultimately ineffective) double-keel design for the front wing?

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline ggliff

• Jump! Jump! Let's take off!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #421 on: May 07, 2007, 09:48:42 AM »
Aerodynamics sure is a black art, just look at the curves on those wings! The dumbo one is a late April fools joke right? I thought they had been photoshopped on to the picture, but google tells me they are real.

So, dumbo ears are going to save Honda are they....lol

EDIT
I have not seen it and it is prob a long shot, but does anyone now if any HP stars have been to a GP. Any photos with drivers/cars etc?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:50:59 AM by ggliff »

Offline ferrar1

• エロリン ~ 大っスキ ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #422 on: May 07, 2007, 03:15:54 PM »
Has anyone thought that Hamilton's and Massa's success could be just a sign how easy it is to drive a fast F1 car nowadays. Come on, a rookie gets 3 podium places in his three first races... I'd really like to see Sutin or Albers in McLaren or Ferrari :)

1 or 10 laps alone may be easy for rookies to drive.

40 to 50 laps racing against other racers might not. You need all the physical and mental concentration for every round, and it's definetely not easy.

4th Pic of Eri courtesy of t-motion's gallery ~ Sangokushi Taisen anyone ? http://sangokutaisen.blogspot.com/ ~ Lame attempt at a personal blog ~

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #423 on: May 08, 2007, 03:00:06 PM »
^ Agreed. Having the right machine is only one part of the equation. You also need to have a driver with the skills and instinct's and ability to use it to it's full potential.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #424 on: May 09, 2007, 11:36:56 AM »
^ Agreed. Having the right machine is only one part of the equation. You also need to have a driver with the skills and instinct's and ability to use it to it's full potential.

Yes, I thought it would be that way. But this Hamilton case has made it clear that at least years' experience doesn't make you any better against a total rookie...
coot is ctz

Offline ggliff

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #425 on: May 10, 2007, 12:27:03 AM »
yes but Fissi couldn't keep up, and Hamilton can, he just might be a bit special.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #426 on: May 10, 2007, 05:05:36 AM »
Read that they're planning a new GP driven at the streets of Valencia, Spain. Already in 2008 season. Sorry, I couldn't find a link in english for this.

However, I'm not very happy if this true. Monaco is enough street racing for F1, and another boring race without any overtaking wouldn't do any goo for the sports. Of course f1-crazy Spain would like it, and it's definitely doing good for Bernie's wallet.
coot is ctz

Offline Kamesan

• Member+
« Reply #427 on: May 10, 2007, 12:49:46 PM »
I scrolled back several page but I didn't see a single post about Nascar. Nobody else might be interested but I'm bringing it up anyway.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. is leaving DEI. Nothing is concrete yet but he might be racing for his own team, JR Motorsports, starting 2008. Apparently he's taking Martin Truex Jr. with him.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »
Dale Earnhardt Jr. is leaving DEI. Nothing is concrete yet but he might be racing for his own team, JR Motorsports, starting 2008.
I had actually heard about this. While it's a bit of a shock (though not that much, considering what's been going on between Jr. and DEI over the past few months) that he's leaving "the family company", in a way it's good that he'll be running his own team. Makes sense, when you think about it.

Offline ggliff

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #429 on: May 10, 2007, 05:03:09 PM »
Read that they're planning a new GP driven at the streets of Valencia, Spain. Already in 2008 season. Sorry, I couldn't find a link in english for this.

However, I'm not very happy if this true. Monaco is enough street racing for F1, and another boring race without any overtaking wouldn't do any goo for the sports. Of course f1-crazy Spain would like it, and it's definitely doing good for Bernie's wallet.

"f1-crazy Spain" when did that happen, well I know since Alonso, but it sure makes a change from the past!

And I agree, we DO NOT need another street circuit. Things have been looking good with the new tracks that allow overtaking, but not another street race please. the reason Monaco works is because of history and a sense of occasion with all the beautiful people. You won't get that anywhere else, just crap racing.

Finally, a GP weekend coming up, seems like ages since the last one.

Offline ferrar1

• エロリン ~ 大っスキ ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2007, 05:12:42 PM »
^ Lol after you said that, Bernie Ecclestone replied.

http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/6798932

Welcom to Singapore, pun xD

4th Pic of Eri courtesy of t-motion's gallery ~ Sangokushi Taisen anyone ? http://sangokutaisen.blogspot.com/ ~ Lame attempt at a personal blog ~

Offline ggliff

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #431 on: May 11, 2007, 05:21:23 PM »
lol great timing Bernie!

Well at last it might look amazing, Singapore at night with all lights shining should be pretty cool. But what about the racing?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #432 on: May 12, 2007, 01:05:27 AM »
This will be the first fully-lit street race in Formula One and as a night race, we anticipate it will quickly establish itself as one of the most dramatic and atmospheric races in our calendar.
Just the fact that this is going to be a night race makes it interesting. I wonder if the change in visibility has any effect on things like pit strategy or how aggressive the drivers will be?

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #433 on: May 12, 2007, 02:30:41 AM »
I really look forward this night racing, but I don't like the idea having at least three street circuits on 2008 season (Monaco, Valencia, Singapore). I hope they design those new circuits that there would be enough chances to overtake. Although it seems to be difficult on the normal circuits as well.
coot is ctz

Offline ferrar1

• エロリン ~ 大っスキ ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #434 on: May 12, 2007, 05:25:34 AM »
They are probably going to light up the circuit so that visibility problems are solved and for safety as well. The main thing has to be the scenery as the track will be running around the main entertainment district of Singapore.

I can't wait for 2008 :D

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #435 on: May 12, 2007, 07:05:54 PM »
Holy shit Michael Andretti is coming out of retirement AGAIN to try and win the Indy 500. :D

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #436 on: May 13, 2007, 08:50:38 PM »
Man, there were so many retirements from the Spanish GP today:

- Webber had some type of engine failure 
- Raikkonen had electrical problems
- Speed's tire blew and messed up his suspension (I think)
- Trulli had fuel pump problems
- Wurz rear-ended Ralf, who later retired with suspension problems
- Liuzzi's car just seemed to die
- and a few others I didn't really pay attention to :P

I was surprised at Alonso's attempt to pass Massa on that first lap. To be precise, I'm surprised he attempted it (considering the turn and traffic at the time) in the first place. He's lucky that he didn't lose control when he went into the gravel there.

Nice little flame job on Massa's car during his first pit stop. ;D

Hey, Schumi was there in the Ferrari garage!

Aw man Heidfeld went out before his wheel nut was secured. He's damn lucky that he was able to last a lap and bring it back in before finally retiring from the race.

Massa lead for almost the whole race. Good job on getting the win.  Gotta say too, Coulthard had a good race today, placing 5th. Props as well to Hamilton, who's now the sole leader in the Driver's standings! Not bad for a rookie.

Offline ggliff

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #437 on: May 13, 2007, 09:28:23 PM »
Yes, Alonso was a bit too brave. I think the pressure of Hamilton is getting to him. As for Hamilton, amazing, leader of the championship already. But Massa really had it today. Mclaren need a bit more pace.

But what about Kimi, just how unlucky is he with his cars?

What a good year, they are still soooo close.

Offline ferrar1

• エロリン ~ 大っスキ ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #438 on: May 14, 2007, 01:06:35 AM »
Yeah how come Schumi was inside the pits? Maybe they hired him back as a race consultant XD

Apart from the retirements and the 1st lap, boring...

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #439 on: May 14, 2007, 05:52:33 AM »
I missed this Grand Prix completely because of hockey :(

However, what a surprise that McLarens are leading in points after four races. And especially that Hamilton is the leading driver.

It seems that Valencia's circuit would be a same kind of street circuit as in Melbourne's Albert Park. And Singapore would be more like a real street circuit.

coot is ctz

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Satisfaction