JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Sexy Love

Author Topic: Terminator Salvation (2009)  (Read 12018 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Terminator Salvation (2009)
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »

IMDB | Wikipedia

"Set in post-apocalyptic 2018, John Connor (Christian Bale), the man fated to be the leader of the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators, and the future he was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past. As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they find out a terrible secret that may lead to the possible annihilation of mankind."

Teaser trailer

Awesome Terminator Salvation Updates - Rated R?!

The one and only big and exciting panel today was for McG's Terminator Salvation. Walking in, I was looking forward to something great, but I definitely wasn't expecting what they showed. McG took control of the crowd and in turn I'm certain this is probably going to be the most buzzed about movie coming out of Comic-Con this year. Not only didn't they show us an extended trailer with lots of awesome footage, but McG told the fans everything they wanted to hear and so much more. The biggest news of the day was that McG apparently convinced the Warner Brothers execs to let them shoot it how they want and thus it could end up being rated R in the end! Additionally, McG hinted that Arnold Schwarzenegger's T-800 model Terminator might make an appearance. I must say, this movie is really starting to look great.

McG started off by explaining that they're shooting the film with the "picture first" at all times. And there are two people, two Warner execs, who really care about the rating but he's been given their blessing to make a rated R movie if they shoot it that way. After making that announcement, McG went on to talk more about some details of the film before showing an extended trailer. When asked if we might see Arnold return in it, McG did say that "the 101 model is very much a part of the Terminator mythology" without specifically stating that he wouldn't return. A good sign? Who knows, but it definitely is a strong hint that Arnold (or at least a CGI Terminator based on his apperance) might show up in the movie.

Since Christian Bale couldn't be in attendance, McG called him in Japan (where he is still promoting The Dark Knight) because he promised that the crowd cheer loud enough to convince them to show the clip. McG said that if they crowd didn't cheer loud enough, he wouldn't show it at all. Unfortunately it went straight to voicemail, but he did leave a message and the crowd went wild. All of the footage we saw really didn't have any finished CGI - but that wasn't a problem. Since so much of the movie was shot practically, a lot of it already looked incredible and there was a lot of action (and explosions) anyway. It had sort of a Mad Max feel during some fight scenes in the post-apocalyptic world and around the destroyed 7-Eleven (that we've seen before), but overall it looked amazing. It won't feel like the first three Terminator movies at all, but it will definitely be an awesome movie on its own.

"If you saved us once in another future, you can save us in this one."

If you've seen the teaser trailer, you'll notice that it already has a distinct dull look - as in, it's not overly colorful by any means. McG says they've even shot it with that silver look to make it feel like it's set in that post-apocalyptic time. Terminator Salvation takes place in 2018 in the middle of the on-going war, which is years before anything we've seen in previous years. He confirmed that they've designed vehicles like harvesters, transports, hydrobots, and numerous others. "It's not a clean, comfortable future, it's a different future filled with duress. Machines stop through these landscapes harvesting people for different purposes." That claw that you see come down and grab someone during the trailer is actually one of the harvesters - which, as McG explains, "should speak to the size of the machine."

As for casting, McG explained that they hired Sam Worthington because they "needed someone who could be tough and could stand up to Christian Bale." And Anton Yelchin's role is to take on the character of Kyle Reese as we see him grow and become the character that Michael Biehn played in the first Terminator. Additionally, McG says about other cast that "it's a balanced world and they didn't want a bunch of white people running around calling the shots" - which is why they hired Common and Moon Bloodgood and it's why they play such formidable characters. Moon plays a pilot and her storyline is primaryily with Worthington, involving a relationship, but not that's not the focus by any means. All-in-all, the cast seems diverse and fantastic and one of the stronger points of this production.

I really didn't like the first teaser trailer that much, but the footage I saw today completely turned me around - this is going to be amazing (or so I hope). If you're still concerned, I leave you with this bit of wisdom. As McG explains, they're going to honor the mythology, but they can take a license to tell the most compelling story possible. So throughout the production they've met with everyone, from Arnold to James Cameron and so on, but haven't got too caught up in the timeline of the other movies or even the TV show because they'd rather just tell a good story. Even Sam Worthington chimed in to say that they wanted to take what Cameron's movies said about fate and humanity and increase and expand it in Terminator Salvation. And if that doesn't instill any more confidence in anyone, then there's no hope. However, I know I'm both confident and incredibly excited for this!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/26/comic-con-08-awesome-terminator-salvation-updates-rated-r/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:35:16 PM by Masa »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: Terminator Salvation (2009)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 05:52:42 AM »
Arnold Might Still Show Up in Terminator Salvation?

For a while, we thought Arnold Schwarzenegger was not going to appear in Terminator Salvation because he was too busy as the Governor of California to devote time to a movie. Arnold even publicly stated that he was unimpressed by footage he was shown, further solidifying our speculation. But guess what - Arnold's finally stepping into the action, as far as we can tell at least. The good folks at Latino Review uncovered a recent photo (as seen above) of Arnold on the set chatting with Christian Bale. Additionally, they were sent some info from a reader that explains that McG is planning on using CGI to replace the face of actor Roland Kickinger with Arnold's face. So Arnold will return in Terminator Salvation after all?

The tipster mentions that "the premise of Arnie's involvement is to have a fully rendered digital face of Arnie replacing the recently cast Roland Kickinger." They add that Arnold was on set to provide voice over dialogue which would be later worked into the film via ADR (aka automated dialogue replacement). Back at Comic-Con, McG hinted that T-800 is part of the mythology and will be in the movie, which is where all of these Arnold rumors began. With this update, it definitely seems like he'll be back, although it may be a CGI face on Kickinger's body with Arnold's recorded voice. But in the end I'm sure it will look seamless. And if all this turns out to be true, we will indeed see Arnold in this new Terminator movie.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/09/11/arnold-might-still-show-up-in-terminator-salvation/

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
lol wtf. I don't even know what to think about this.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
I do not mind, Arnold is 'The Terminator' that there is not enough time in his schedule to do all the sitting around on Set I can understand. It might also be the years are starting to count although he still looks the part :)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »
My biggest worry with this is that it'll be too dark and bleak. The post-apocalyptic scenes in the previous Terminators (especially 2) worked because there were contrasted against current L.A.. Without that contrast it'll be hard for them to be as effective.

Hopefully they'll leave the humour intact too.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:00:35 AM »
I don't understand why they have to put Arnold's face on Roland Kickinger. He looked too old already in the third movie. Of course they can make him look younger, but why bother? Roland Kickinger looks just like Arnold anyway (He was Chip Rommel in Son of the Beach).

coot is ctz

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »
Some new pics.

"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 07:53:03 AM »
Trailer

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »
looks pretty good from the trailer.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »
McG Gets a Green Light from Halcyon for Terminator 5

The Halcyon Company, who currently owns the franchise rights to Terminator, has already greenlit the fifth film in the Terminator series, following the currently in-production Terminator Salvation. McG, who is directing Salvation, is already working with Halcyon and will return for the fifth film, which is currently slated to arrive in 2011 - a short two years after Terminator Salvation hits theaters on May 22nd this upcoming summer. Christian Bale is also officially signed on to reprise his role as John Connor in a planned trilogy. This is definitely great news for those who are already excited for McG's Terminator.

When Halcyon originally picked up the rights to the franchise last year, they announced that they were planning for another trilogy, but were waiting until Salvation hit theaters to decide whether or not to actually move forward with more films. However, positive studio, fan and media reactions to footage, including the latest trailer, have encouraged them to move forward ahead of schedule. "We feel the time is now to start shaping the next part of this," Halcyon exec Victor Kubicek said. And if that means working out story details for a complete trilogy now, before this latest film is even finished, then I'm all for it.

I know I'm not the only one who thought the latest full trailer looked great. A lot of fans thought this franchise was pretty much dead after a lackluster Terminator 3 in 2003, but obviously the execs at Halcyon are quite smart and knew there was a lot more left here. Secondly, I think it was a very inspired choice to cast Christian Bale, especially after The Dark Knight did so well. And to top it all off, I think this is one of those franchises that McG was born to direct, it just took 8 years for him to actually get there. With both of them back I don't think we have anything to be worried about. Bring on a new Terminator trilogy!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/14/mcg-gets-a-green-light-from-halcyon-for-terminator-5/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »
Did McG Just Confirm That We'll See Arnold in Terminator Salvation?

While at the New York Comic Con over the weekend, I caught a presentation for Terminator Salvation moderated by director McG. He showed us an extended six-minute trailer that really gave us a better look at the story more than just the action and I've got to say it's looking awesome. Afterward, McG answered questions from the audience and obviously was asked about an appearance by Arnold Schwarzenegger. We've heard this question numerous times before, so I was expecting the same "you'll just have to see" kind of answer, but McG changed it up. Maybe I didn't catch it at first, but he might've just confirmed it!

Thanks to both MTV and The Playlist, we've now got a second look at the transcript of exactly what McG said. He steps around the answer at first: "The T-800s as we know them look like Arnold. The T-800 plays a big role in this movie. I can't quite tell you how we express that…" But then he goes on to say, "Let me just hint at this: I don't want today's Arnold Schwarzenegger." If we read into that answer correctly, that means McG wants the Arnold from 1984, when the first Terminator hit, because the storyline in Terminator Salvation actually takes place before Arnold's T-800 model even exists, well, up until the end.

Earlier in the presentation, McG explained (and the footage hinted that) the story is about how Skynet is developing more advanced robots. In essence, it's about how Skynet got from their original models to the T-800 model that looks like Arnold, of which involves capturing and experimenting on humans. So McG doesn't say their won't be an Arnold model T-800 in Terminator Salvation, but he clearly hints that it's likely ILM is working on digitizing him to look like the 1984 Schwarzenegger we all know. Sound about right to you? Other than that, we won't want to spoiler his appearance, so we'll just wait until May 22nd.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/09/did-mcg-just-confirm-that-well-see-arnold-in-terminator-salvation/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
It Looks Like Linda Hamilton is Back for More Terminator!

In addition to all of the rumors regarding Arnold Schwarzenegger's appearance in Terminator Salvation, the other one we've been hearing plenty of buzz about recently is Linda Hamilton, the original Sarah Connor. Rumors first started circulating in January, when McG said that they were looking to do a voiceover with her to open the movie. It was all just a rumor at the time, but MTV finally caught up with Hamilton and got some confirmation. "We are talking," she said. "I haven’t read it yet. I don’t know what direction they will go in," but it sounds like she's in if McG convinces her, which is more than likely going to happen.

Would she appear, or just provide her voice, was the next question MTV asked. "My contribution would be voiceover. I would probably be very happy to loan my voice depending on what the material is. Wait and see. They’re already writing it. We’ve been negotiating it." She goes on to talk about why she didn't do Terminator 3, which was a very smart move on her part, but has us a bit worried. It seems Hamilton's allegiance lies with James Cameron, and although Cameron hasn't yet given his blessings to Terminator Salvation, we expect he will in the end. And we also expect them to have Hamilton's voice to kick things off.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/19/its-looking-like-linda-hamilton-is-back-for-more-terminator/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »

Epic! :shocked:

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 03:41:43 PM »
^
Like Whoa.

Looking forward to it even more now.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:16 PM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 10:47:31 PM »
Terminator Salvation Ending Was Completely Changed After Leak?

Everyone knows I hate spoilers and don't like revealing anything big, so with this bit of news, you're safe knowing that even we have no clue what's going to happen in Terminator Salvation. So the story goes that last June, the big twist ending of Terminator Salvation was leaked online (we, appropriately, never reported on it). Thankfully this was early enough into the production, that apparently McG and company completely changed the ending after that point. Moviehole is reporting that a friend inside of Warner Brothers has seen the film and tells them that the end was changed and is nothing like what was leaked.

Their source says that the ending was changed because of the internet leak. "The ending doesn't resemble the previous one in any shape or form." According to their source, it's "a complete [180] from the original film. Works better. Probably not as hard to swallow." That's all we're going to tell you, because not only do we not know what happens, but we don't want to know until we're watching Terminator Salvation in theaters on May 21st. Obviously no one at Warner Brothers is going to confirm this news, but I'm sure McG will be asked about it soon enough, so of course, look out for more details from McG sooner or later.

I'm very happy to hear that the ending was changed. I love the experience of seeing how a story plays out for the very first time while watching a movie in the theater. I was quite upset last year when it was all spoiled (even though I refused to even read about the ending). Other web guys claim that it's "their job" to ruin movies like that, but I believe in cinematic integrity and prefer not to spoil them. This news just means it'll still remain a secret until the first batch of audiences get to see it. And right now I can actually say that Terminator Salvation is the one summer movie with the most mystery surrounding it. Bring it on, McG!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/23/terminator-salvation-ending-was-completely-changed-after-internet-leak/

Hallelujah! Thank goodness they changed the ending! I heard that John Connor was supposed to get killed at the end and be replaced by a terminator :thumbdown:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Sexy Love