JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: HeavensDust - One Breath

Author Topic: Burning Issues with Vista  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Re: Burning Issues with Vista
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 02:20:24 AM »
Some of the problems (i.e. with the burn queue) come from being unfamiliar with Windows.

Meh. It's easy enough to just use Nero instead of the built-in MS burner anyway.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:17:01 AM »
I could have burned something with Nero in the same time that it took me to read through that. I really could have.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:14:02 AM »
I'll have to try it but somehow I get the impression the writer of that *wanted* it to fail.
Just like with XP I do not think people actually use the standard burn software.

(Just bought me new laptop but it has Roxio burning software standard with it)

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 01:16:21 AM »
LOL that guy is so biased and is obviously inexperienced with windows.

I haven't tried vista's burning tool yet but I have used XP's quite a few times. It's not that great but I don't have many problems with it. I'd still prefer to use most other burning software than it though.

This has me curious though and I want to try it myself...

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 06:14:53 PM »
I bought an HP PC with vista premium pre-installed:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=m8000y_series&tab_switch=true&a1=Usage&v1=High+performance&tab=specs

Haven't tried the burning yet. But I guess Roxio 9 (that came with it) can't be that bad.

Off subject:
I planned for using it for basic multimedia'ing and gaming. So I've been playing around with MS Windows Media Center the most... and its given me hell.
I've done 1 'factory' system restore, 2 system update uninstalls, 2 restore point restores (1 successful) and have now lost sound for media center''s recorded clips, live TV and DVD playback  :'( ... normal clips (avi, mpg,np3) have sound though. Might do another factory restore if i can't find the problem source by tomorrow. Then call HP after crying.  :-\
I think I only did a windows update before the problem happened, so I'm flabergasted.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 05:10:30 AM »
^ Hope you burned your system restore DVD, if not DO IT NOW.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 05:12:10 AM by frblckstr1 »

Offline reyfer

• Member+
  • Sayumin's personal assistant
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 05:22:14 AM »
Some of the problems (i.e. with the burn queue) come from being unfamiliar with Windows.

Meh. It's easy enough to just use Nero instead of the built-in MS burner anyway.
I could have burned something with Nero in the same time that it took me to read through that. I really could have.
I don't know, maybe I read a different article and the one I posted says something else, but what I understand is that he was trying to find out if it was true that Vista's OWN burning software tricks people into burning to a CLOSED, PROPIETARY format, not if it was easy to burn in Vista with Nero or Roxio.  The other problems he had, well, who knows. But he proved the point that Vista tries to make you burn to a propietary format. So if you install Vista from scratch, and you don't have Roxio or Nero, and want to burn a CD or DVD right away, you know what could happen.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 06:52:53 AM »
^ Hope you burned your system restore DVD, if not DO IT NOW.

Gotta hand it to HP for the factory recovery option they have. Every PC in the world should have one.
Don't know how it works. But this PC comes with a hidden 1GB HD with all the recovery files to re-install all system files, reverting it back to how it was out-of-the-box in just a few clicks.
Really helpful for idiot users like me and crazy programs like media center.
Just did a factory recovery a few hours back and the sound is back again for everything. yay~

From a vista n00b. One thing I learned while surfing vista forums for the past week. Don't go crazy installing codecs because they might not support media center yet. Do some research before installing stuff like this.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 10:37:58 AM »
Gotta hand it to HP for the factory recovery option they have. Every PC in the world should have one.
My SONY VAIO and my ASUS R2H both have them also, its not just HP :)
From a vista n00b. One thing I learned while surfing vista forums for the past week. Don't go crazy installing codecs because they might not support media center yet. Do some research before installing stuff like this.
I only installed the 'vista codec pack' which is compatible it looks like, but after also installing AutoGK (for some conversions) I now have the .srt's displayed double... need to fix that permanently (temp is having vobsub not doing it)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »
I don't know, maybe I read a different article and the one I posted says something else, but what I understand is that he was trying to find out if it was true that Vista's OWN burning software tricks people into burning to a CLOSED, PROPIETARY format, not if it was easy to burn in Vista with Nero or Roxio.  The other problems he had, well, who knows. But he proved the point that Vista tries to make you burn to a propietary format. So if you install Vista from scratch, and you don't have Roxio or Nero, and want to burn a CD or DVD right away, you know what could happen.
Beats me. I was just commenting on the actual time that it took me to read the article, not on what was actually being said in the article. Since it's so long/detailed, the time that it took me to read it was about the same amount of time that it would have taken my copy of Nero to burn a data DVD-ROM.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 01:23:43 AM »
This built in burner that cames with Vista, in my humble opinion shouldn't be used unless you don't have anything better. For exemple, I've just formatted my PC and while I'm lazy to install the programs that I really rely on I use these built ins.

Not that it's bad or something, it's just that you can do so much better with something else.
My favorites for burning are Nero and Roxio. But I must say I've run into some problems with Roxio, more than I could hope for, and Nero always has worked like a charm for me.

Offline marqual

• Member+
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »
Anyone tries to burn with kanji characters in filenames ? with what program is this possible?

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 07:38:54 AM »
Isn't that the language pack?

Anyway, I'm getting a new computer soon with Vista preinstalled.... but vista is scaring me shitless. So I think I'm gonna just reformat and stay with XP

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 10:11:18 AM »
^ Then why pay for it? ask to have XP pre-installed (or find a version that has)

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: HeavensDust - One Breath