JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Balloons - Flotsam

Author Topic: Beside Trackers, What other P2P programs do use to source for Japanese files?  (Read 18373 times)

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
Beside Trackers, What other P2P programs do use to source for Japanese files?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 03:06:33 AM »
I downloaded winnyp b7.28 and tested it by downloading a small file and it all works ok.  It's gonna get a bit of getting used to.  I assume if I copy over my download.txt and the contents of the cache from the old winny I can resume the downloads.

What bad things could happen with the old version?  The only things that have happened to me is I foolishly clicked on an exe I got in a .zip file (it had a folder icon).  That was with win98 though, now I'm on xp I don't have file extensions hidden.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 03:28:37 AM »
Your cache folder is just a setting in the ini, you wouldn't even have to copy it over, just point the CacheFolderPath= line at your existing one.  Download.txt would need to be copied over but should pick up without any problems.  Same for Ignore.txt, tab.txt, search.txt, etc.

The difference is that what happened to you before was just social engineering - ny based viruses like the Antinny variants would take random items out of a person's cache, put them in a folder and zip up the folder with an exe named the same next to it to try to get people to accidently click the exe.  You'd have to download the item, unzip it, and run the exe yourself.

With ones based off the remote buffer overflow, they just have to try to connect to you and if you're running a vulnerable version of the client they can automatically infect you and run the virus.  Since a large part of ny's network structure involves connecting to lots of random people, the thought that some of them might automatically infect you tends to worry people.

Offline limitbreaker02

• Quiet Lowkey Mofo
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Lovey Dovey ~
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 03:30:08 AM »
Back in the day it was all IRC and a little WinMX from time to time...but now it's all about the torrents. I'll occasionally log on once in a while though.

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 04:33:32 AM »
Quote from: daigong
I just get stuff off trackers. none of those other programs work for me :/ I loved WinMX

Wow...if you find something good, please share with us on the JPH!P Tracker first :)

Sure Daigong! ;) Especially those DVD stuff. I found many results but was unable to download. See how frustrating it is :evil:

For SHARE, I am currently using EX2 Ver 1.0, Is it the latest? How do i update to the latest.

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 05:05:38 AM »
I dunno about share, but for winny you just need patience.  Always add a file to the download list, then wait.  Sometimes you'll get the file quickly, within a few hours, sometimes you have to wait months.  I've had files finish downloading that I started 6 or more months ago!

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 05:59:14 AM »
OMG. Now i am able to queue for download but i can't create a cache folder for Share. Thus the download won't start, I wonder how should i create the cache & download folder. :( Cos i tried 'Add folder' but unable to create for cache & download folder.

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 07:32:20 AM »
Quote from: bolivar
OMG. Now i am able to queue for download but i can't create a cache folder for Share. Thus the download won't start, I wonder how should i create the cache & download folder. :( Cos i tried 'Add folder' but unable to create for cache & download folder.
What do you mean you are unable to create the folder?

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 07:53:02 AM »
Quote from: ohbahsan
What do you mean you are unable to create the folder?

I mean there are nothing transferred into my cache & download folder. Both of them are 0 bytes. The size piece in the download queue wont start though the status was loaded 100%.

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 12:40:31 PM »
ex2 is currently the latest.  Have you tried just manually creating the folders you want to use, editing the folder.ini like the one I posted above to point to those folders, and then opening share to see if it'll pick them up?

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 09:34:38 PM »
This winnyp works because I've managed to download something with it, but I'm hardly getting any search results.  I've got noderefp and also my noderef from the older winny (At first I tried copying my old nodes into noderefp but then I did a test and deleted noderefp and it was able to access the nodes in noderef so having both files seems to be the right thing).

Right now if I try the old winny and search for something I get good results, but then with Winnyp I get hardly anything.  Does anyone know why this is?

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 10:02:40 PM »
Open your Winnyp.ini.  Check the [Winnyp] section and look for the line Ver=  If it's set to 0 then you're only connecting to people running b7.27+  2 is the setting for b6.6-b7.1  3 switches between them both, but tends not to work well for me.

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2006, 10:10:15 PM »
Quote from: soveryshiny
Open your Winnyp.ini.  Check the [Winnyp] section and look for the line Ver=  If it's set to 0 then you're only connecting to people running b7.27+  2 is the setting for b6.6-b7.1  3 switches between them both, but tends not to work well for me.

My winnyp.ini doesn't have a [Winnyp] section, but there's a file called Winnyp.ini.txt and it's in there.  Is that where it's supposed to be or should I copy the contents somewhere (where?) into the winnyp.ini file?

my Winnyp.ini.txt contains

[Winnyp]
;Ver=0
;TabControl=0
;ZoneId=0
;UpFolder=UpFolder.txt

EDIT: I tried editing Ver=2 in winnyp.ini.txt and also tried copying it into winnyp.ini and neither worked.

EDIT2: I deleted it and started afresh, editing winnyp.ini.txt before I started, and that seems to have done the trick.  The only problem is it won't stay connected and I still get no search results.  Ah fuck it, I've been using the English version for 2 years and the only viruses I've had are ones I opened myself inside zip files.  I'm willing to keep using it and take the risk.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 11:44:15 PM by ~Dan~ »

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 01:08:13 AM »
winnyp.ini.txt is just an example text file, the settings go in winnyp.ini.  Also note that you need to remove the leading semicolon, that's there to comment them out.

If you open your winnyp.ini and paste in at the top:
[Winnyp]
Ver=2
TabControl=0
ZoneId=0
UpFolder=UpFolder.txt

Then it should act like the old version but be patched.  The other three settings are:
TabControl - can't remember, it's unimportant and off by default
ZoneId - only relevant under XP SP2, it's to disable those prompts windows can give you sometimes asking "are you sure you want to run this?"
UpFolder - it's another way of doing all your upload folders.  If you don't have any folders set to be uploaded, then just comment it out.  If you do they should be listed in the UpFolder.txt and you can just leave it pointed at that.

MikMix04

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 02:30:10 AM »
just started using eMule. Best one ive seen yet. Used to use Limewire and Ares. but they suck. I always get results when i search on eMule. Bittorrent is good too.

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 03:40:09 AM »
Quote from: soveryshiny
If you open your winnyp.ini and paste in at the top:
[Winnyp]
Ver=2
TabControl=0
ZoneId=0
UpFolder=UpFolder.txt

I already tried that.  If I do that it doesn't connect to anything-  the list of nodes in winny is totally blank.  As soon as I comment out the Ver=2 it works again.
I put this page through a translator (http://www.nynode.info/winnyp/v2.0b7.28/) and it seems to suggest you do it like I did in the end - started aftresh and edited the .ini.txt file, and didnt remove the ; either.  It works, it just doesn't stay connected to anyone for very long.

Also do I use 2 seperate nodes lists (Noderefp.txt and Noderef.txt) or do I copy the contents of my old Noderef.txt into Noderefp.txt?  I tried both anyway and it doesn't help.  This version of winny sucks, no wonder so many people say they have huge problems with it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:45:23 AM by ~Dan~ »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 06:57:04 AM »
I use Share and winny for japanese videos and popular music, and use soulseek for everything music related. I find that there's no point in using the other programs as I could find most things using those programs and trackers. And if I can't it's because they're super rare things.

I tried winnyp a few months back and found the same problems as Dan is getting. 7.28 nodes all seem to be pretty much anime and hentai as that's all I got when making a very general search. But this was back when it was released for only a couple months.

I ended up going back to 7.1 since I've never had any problems with it except for the program closing when I try to add an upload folder which I just add manually.

oh and for winny6.66-7.1 the best cluster for H!P stuff is モーニング娘。松浦亜弥藤本美貴 you can interchange 松浦亜弥 and 藤本美貴 as both give lots of results

As for share, you just manually make whatever folders you want with explorer, and you can add them to your folder list within the program itself. no need to manually add them so you don't have to re-open it.

Offline Takumi 86

• Feel the Music!
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 08:10:07 AM »
i use Limewire oftenly if i want to download Music and video clip which is very rarely to be found on the net

Btw, speknig of download from mIrC, i have a link to download directly from the net, here :

http://rizon.xdccing.com/

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 08:24:25 AM »
Now i am really afraid to use open source p2p programs like Limewire,MIRC & Gnutella. Juz yesterday, The police raided 25 homes identified by RIAS to be illegally downloading & sharing mp3 & videos. Our ISP spokeman were interviewed & they said they will closely monitor the activity of the users.

This sucks! I wonder if anyone had been caught so far overseas(outside Japan) for sharing Japanese files?

I guess the safest p2p program now will be SHARE since it is closed source.

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 10:16:32 AM »
^ open/closed source has nothing to do with it.  Freenet is as "safe" as you can get and it's open source.  Share is safe mostly because the data and the traffic is encrypted.

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 12:06:01 PM »
I tried winnyp a few months back and found the same problems as Dan is getting. 7.28 nodes all seem to be pretty much anime and hentai as that's all I got when making a very general search. But this was back when it was released for only a couple months.

Sounds like you didn't read the readme and set it to connect to the older nodes...

oh and for winny6.66-7.1 the best cluster for H!P stuff is モーニング娘。松浦亜弥藤本美貴

I prefer the longer one I mentioned earlier.  You still get a 30 match against people using your keywords, but an 80 or so one with other people using it.  Seems to work pretty well for me, although I've had good luck with both over the years.

Quote from: ohbahsan
^ open/closed source has nothing to do with it.  Freenet is as "safe" as you can get and it's open source.  Share is safe mostly because the data and the traffic is encrypted.

Indeed, it's the network and protocol design that matters, not whether the client is open source or not.  With share and ny there have been products for ISPs and what not available in the Japanese market that can read the protocols for a while now.  See articles like this one.  Mostly just used for traffic shaping or straight out blocking.

And you should be aware that BitTorrent has pretty much 0 privacy or protection.  Wouldn't matter if your client were open source or closed source, the way it's designed pretty much demands that you broadcast who you are and what it is you're sharing with it.  If you're paranoid about legal trouble it's not a particularily safe p2p to be using.

Also: Mirc is neither a p2p program nor open source, it's just a shareware chat client that lets you send files.  Not sure how that got on your list of open source p2p programs...

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Balloons - Flotsam