JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Crystal Kay - Flowers

Author Topic: Castlevania thread, y'all!  (Read 21247 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Castlevania thread, y'all!
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »
Next-gen Dracula could look pretty sweet. But it depends, I wonder if Dracula's castle even makes an appearance?

The exclusive demo for LOS is out on PSN+ today a week before anyone else.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2010, 01:44:03 AM »

:lol: :lol:

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
 :rofl:

Oh god, awesome !  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2010, 12:37:27 AM »
"My whip will beat your soul!" :rofl:

Got my gaming mag subscription earlier with the first review I'd seen of Lords of Shadow, in which they gave it a very positive 8/10. They say it's a huge game, in fact in a comparison that eased my preconceptions I had, they compare the game to more like Metroid than God Of War. Lots of hidden secrets to uncover in each stage. They reckon 20 hours to get through the story, another 20 to find all the secret areas. They say combat is good, if not as free flowing as say Bayonetta, where you can cancel out of any animation. Let's see, art style, combat, narrative, structure is all widely different from any previous Castlevania games, but in a way that benefits it. LoS supposedly tackles the same themes and lore as it's predecssors but in a way that helps make it stand out within the series. Whether or not you'll like it is a matter of preference. Several boss battles are supposedly among this generations finest. Where it falls down is first of all in pacing, way too much hand holding in the first few hours but in later stages it leaves you off with minimal guidance, evoking the same sense of isolation and oppression as say, Metroid Prime (another comparison which has got me intrigued).  Invisible barriers aplenty and platforming isn't as tight as it should be.

But those seem like rather minor complaints to me, the review is very positive. It's left me with a good impression and I'm definately more interested in LoS now than I was before. If nothing else, they did mention that the developer's last game, Clive Barker's Jericho, was rubbish, and it showed nothing close to the talent on display here.

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
^
Thank you for your review without spoil   :P

I knew putting big hopes for this game was right... but naooo I can't wait :cow:

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE :lol:

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2010, 07:59:34 PM »
WTF my fav french website gave 5/5 to LoS.

Boner mode, engaged.

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
BTW you know in castlevania HD there is an achievement called "boned"?

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2010, 04:19:32 AM »
LOL at the chupacabra.

I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »
Harmony of Despair DLC out today! 400 points for a single map, the pyramid one you may have seen in trailers. The next one apparently includes playable characters, Julius, Maria, and Yoko.

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »
Bought LoS since tuesday 5th but didn't have the time to open it... >____>

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »
So I'm in the middle of chapter 5 of Lords of Shadow and I gotta say I'm blown away. The scene I just saw was breathtaking. Really loving the environments and the combat is surprisingly visceral and fun. It's also gonna take forever to beat if all the chapters stay this length. Perfect game for around Halloween time. :grin:

Bought it completely on a whim and I'm so glad I did (had 10% off promotion and $10 gift card at Best Buy so figured what the heck, can always trade it in towards Fallout in a couple weeks if i don't like it). Beautiful Beautiful game. It's no joke though, not quite Ninja Gaiden level frustration but close. :lol: Definitely a lot harder on the standard difficulty than Bayonetta and God of War 3 were for me.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
I get mine today, too bad I can't play it though for the next few days, since I'll be out of the country, booo  :(

Edit: Picked my copy up from the post office, amazon even gave me 6 Euro discount after shipping, now I paid only 46,95 for the game. So tempted to play right now, but I should prepare for my trip actually  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:39:56 PM by coachie »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »
Definitely a lot harder on the standard difficulty than Bayonetta and God of War 3 were for me.

Wow really? Interesting. People seem overwhelmingly positive about it so far, which is good to hear. Wonder if this has any impact on the direction of Castlevania as a whole, which I hope it doesn't cause there's definately a charm about older Castlevania's style of play and something like Ayami Kojima's artwork which attracted me to the series in the first place.

Still though, LoS is most definately on my list right now.

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
LoS is truly awesome and for many reasons :
First, it has a soul. A beautiful soul.
Second, it's technically fantastic.
Third, its narration is just fabulous.

I'm in love with Castlevania since Nes, I'm not recusant with 3D and I'm very happy to have been in autistic mode because every moment of this game is genuine and not spoiled.

Castlevania FTW :heart:

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2010, 10:45:55 PM »
It definitely has been hard for me. I took 15-20 tries to beat a boss around chapter 3 or so, now I'm at chapter 9 I think and I took 10 tries to beat another tough boss only to have another boss fight immediately after. I died a couple times on her said fuck it and switched it to easy mode. :lol: One boss was epic because i got to the second stage of the fight and was down to a sliver of health and no secondary weapons so I stood there and was able to do a timed block, built up some health on neutral orbs then had to do it again and again and again and somehow ended up miraculously winning.

I love some of the normal enemy encounters (skeletons, grim reaper swordsman, big lycans) because they are challenging and you have to use all of the tools at your disposal but without some of the frustrations of the bosses (like annoying regenerating health, ugh)

Wonderboy I thought it looked great too but the levels just keep getting better and better looking. At one point it was so beautiful and epic my eyes started to water up. Also Gabriel is a badass.

Edit: Ok I finally beat it. It was awesome. The ending O_O
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:38:03 AM by zoolander »

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »
Seeing LoS creating so much buzz, everybody in the past 10 years saying how fun it was, and [noembed]GT's Castlevania Retrospective clips[/noembed], I summed up enough courage to try SotN today. 8)2

The difficulty of the early 2D games just scared me too much when I was a kid. I've been evading the whole series since then.

But woah! SotN has save points! and level ups! and stats for everything! Look at those floating enemy damage points! awww~ :inlove: <--RPG-loving me
Now I'm moonwalking across the room, punching skeletons in the air. I even get to wear a cape! (reference) :lol:

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »
Didn't have the time to finish LoS yet... but, WHAT THE FUCK THIS GAME IS AWESOME.

Epic, romantic, bad-ass, wonderful...

And the OST is just fantastic... the choirs, THE CHOIRS O_O

Oscar Araujo is as talented as Hans Zimmer, seriously...

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
The epilogue. Damn.  :shocked  :twothumbs

I wonder if they make a sequel, would it take place right after the epilogue or during the "missing years".

I like how Gabriel now refers to himself as Dracul, which is a different name from Dracula.

I keep hearing rumors that this alternate timeline has a Simon Belmont and an Alucard. If true, I hope that they are different from the original versions.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:14:25 PM by maruda »
I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
Konami has extended the life of superb action game Castlevania: Lords of Shadow with two new downloadable add-ons set for launch early next year.

They will feature all new areas, monsters, and brand new story lines. Reverie returns players to the Castle as Gabriel to help Laura, the former servant to the vampire Carmilla, in destroying the unruly evil that was previously kept in check by the recently slain Queen, Konami said this afternoon.

The second DLC, Resurrection, continues the story directly after the end of the game. It provides insight into the epilogue seen by players upon completion of the game, and Gabriel's "ultimate destiny". Konami said Resurrection will be "larger in scope" than Reverie because it features a final showdown with a "very notorious enemy". Who could it be?

Reverie will be available in February, while Resurrection will launch sometime in April. No pricing details were mentioned.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Crystal Kay - Flowers