JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ala - Music and Coffee

Author Topic: [CHI] John Woo  (Read 25090 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[CHI] John Woo
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:46 AM »
John Woo aka Ng Yu-Sum 吳宇森

My favorite Chinese director of ALL TiME!! His movies are influential, not just action shoot-em ups - they are tales of brotherhood and redemption. Known for his collabos with Chow Yun-fat, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, and Jean-Claude Van Damme - check out RED CLIFF!!

John Woo is a critically acclaimed international Chinese film director and producer. Recognized for his stylized films of highly choreographed action sequences, Mexican standoffs, and use of slow-motion, Woo has directed several notable Hong Kong action films, among them, A Better Tomorrow, Hard Boiled, and The Killer. His English-language films include Hard Target, Broken Arrow, Face/Off, and Mission: Impossible 2.

Fun facts: Comic Books
He also created the comic series Seven Brothers, published by Virgin Comics.

Origin Hong Kong
Born 1 May 1946 (1946-05-01)
Guangzhou, China
Occupation Director, producer
Spouse(s) Annie Woo

Links
IMDB
Wikipedia
hardboiled.de > A site devoted to a director who, coming from Hongkong, took world action cinema by storm

Filmography
The Dragon Tamers (1975)[writer/director]
The Young Dragons (1975)[writer/director]
Hand of Death (1976)[actor][writer/director]
The Private Eyes (1976)[producer]
Princess Chang Ping (1976)[director]
The Pilferer's Progress (1977)[writer/director]
Hello, Late Homecomers (1978)[writer/director]
Follow the Star (1978)[writer/director]
Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979)[writer/director]
From Riches to Rags (1980)[director]
Laughing Times (1981)[director]
Plain Jane to the Rescue (1982)[actor][writer/director]
To Hell with the Devil (1982)[writer/director]
The Time You Need a Friend (1985)[director]
Heroes Shed No Tears (1986)[writer/director]
A Better Tomorrow (1986)[actor][writer/director]
A Better Tomorrow II (1987)[writer/director]
Just Heroes (1989)[director]
Starry is the Night (1988)[actor]
I Love Maria (1988)[cameo]
The Killer (1989)[writer/director]
Bullet in the Head (1990)[actor][writer/producer/director]
Rebel from China (1990)[actor]
Once a Thief (1991)[actor][writer/director]
Hard Boiled (1992)[director]
Twin Dragons (1992) [actor]
Hard Target (USA 1993)[director]
Peace Hotel (1995)[producer]
Don't Cry Nanking (1995)[producer]
Somebody Up There Likes Me (1996)[producer]
Broken Arrow (USA 1996)[director]
Face/Off (USA 1997)[director]
Task Force (1997)[actor]
The Replacement Killers (USA 1998)[producer]
The Big Hit (USA 1998)[producer]
Mission: Impossible 2 (USA 2000)[director]
Windtalkers (USA 2002)[director/producer]
Bulletproof Monk (USA 2003)[producer]
Paycheck (USA 2003)[director/producer]
Blood Brothers (2007)[producer]
Red Cliff (2008)[director/producer][writer]
Red Cliff II (2009)[director/producer][writer]

Some interviews...and u may have seen him cameo in his movies

The Killer un-rated trailer

Drink Piss!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:39:33 AM by Masa »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [CHI] John Woo
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:43 AM »
John Woo's Hard Boiled Getting a Big Screen Sequel

We haven't seen much from Hong Kong director John Woo since he directed Paycheck in 2003, and that's because he's been developing his two-part epic Red Cliff in China for the last few years. However, hidden in a THR article (via SlashFilm) was a tidbit about Woo's Lion Rock Entertainment
developing a sequel to Hard Boiled and/or adaptation of the video game Stranglehold. The game was created as a continuation of Woo's original Hard Boiled, which hit theaters in 1992, so it's the same thing as a sequel. While Woo isn't directing, he has hired budding writers Jeremy Passmore and Andre Fabrizio to pen the adaptation.

Stranglehold is billed as "The Only Authentic John Woo Video Game Experience," although it wasn't as big of a hit as expected, with only a 77 rating on Metacritic. I haven't played the game, and sadly I haven't even seen Hard Boiled either, though I've now added it to my must watch list. Stranglehold sees Chow Yun-Fat reprise his signature role as Inspector Tequila, pitting gamers as a take-no-prisoners cop waging a personal war with Hong Kong crime lords. Tequila's loyalties to the force are tested when his ex-wife is kidnapped by the Russian mob in Chicago. We're not sure if that story will be translated to the big screen.

It's no secret that I really hate John Woo (read some of past articles on him), but I'm actually not opposed to this sequel. Why? First off, because Hard Boiled is one of the films that Woo made before he came to America and started churning out crap; and secondly, because Woo isn't directing this, which means another better director can come in an experiment with Woo-style action. That said, I'm kind of an outlier, considering I'm not a Woo fan, so I'll let those of you who are fans of Hard Boiled respond to this instead. Is a sequel to Hard Boiled / adaptation of Stranglehold really necessary?
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/08/john-woos-hard-boiled-getting-a-big-screen-sequel/

That movie will most likely suck if Woo's not directing it :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:10:03 AM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:20 AM »
^ Fuck that shit.  :thumbdown: You can't touch a classic, esp. with no Chow Yun-fat or TONY? C'mon now! Why not DOWNLOAD IT AT THE ASSHOLE!! and see for yourself!

EPIC  TRAILER!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE JOHN WOO MOVIE?!

It's like choosing your favorite child, or who do you wanna date at JPH!P? Hard to fuckin choose!!

I'm have to go with .... HARD BOILED. Pure comedy, blood shed, and brotherhood! No wait, A Better Tomorrow with Mark Goh and his EPIC speech at the end. SHIT. Bullet in the Head with the drink piss.  :banghead:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »
I may sound like a total noob but the Red Cliffs were so epic that I have to vote those as my favourites! :O I'll rewatch Hard Boiled so I'll remember it better XD
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »
Forced to choose/rank the Woo-Chow movies:

Hard-Boiled ("I'm scared!")
The Killer ("Easy to pick up, hard to put down...")
Once A Thief (Cherie Chung, nuff said)
A Better Tomorrow 2 ("No, no, no, no.  Sorrryy...")
A Better Tomorrow (I totally bought Ti Lung as a Triad boss)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE JOHN WOO MOVIE?!

1. The Killer (the greatest action movie ever made)
2. Hard Boiled (HB has the greatest action scenes ever)
3. Red Cliff (EPIC!)
4. Bullet in the Head (my favorite Vietnam flick)
5. A Better Tomorrow II
6. A Better Tomorrow
7. Face/Off (Woo's only great Hollywood flick)
8. Once a Thief (hilarious & full of creative action scenes)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:46:12 AM »
Hard Boiled Sequel Might Actually Be a Prequel After All?

A week ago we brought you the news that a sequel to Hard Boiled / adaptation of the video game Stranglehold was in development at John Woo's Lion Rock Entertainment. There weren't many details, but it was exciting news nonetheless. The guys at Twitch decided to dig up some more details and went to Woo's producing partner Terence Chang. He confirms that they are developing another Hard Boiled movie, but that "it is a total reinvention, with a much younger Tequila. In other words, it is not a sequel to Hard Boiled." So does that mean it might be a prequel? Chang didn't say, but it sounds like that's the case.

Chang starts off saying: "There was once a sequel to Hard Boiled, from an idea that I had. I developed it for Chow Yun-fat and had commissioned a pretty good script written by John Jarrell. The project is now inactive." So let's jump to today, where the Stranglehold video game, which is a sequel, has been out on shelves since late 2007. Chang continues: "We are now developing a movie of Stranglehold, and just signed the writers Jeremy Passmore and Andre Fabrizio. It will be a hardcore action film set in both Hong Kong and Chicago. We will keep some of the action set pieces of the game, but the story is different."

We're not exactly sure what this means and it looks like we'll have to wait to hear more or see how far into production it gets before we have more answers. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means we won't get a direct sequel like originally reported. And I'm sure they won't cast either Chow Yun-Fat or Tony Leung again, which is a bit of a shame, but oh well. I'm cautiously optimistic about this being any good anyway.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/15/hard-boiled-sequel-might-actually-be-a-prequel-after-all/

WTF? I guess Chow Yun-Fat ain't gonna be in it after all. Shiiiiet, they shouldn't even call that movie Hard Boiled anymore :thumbdown:

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »
Kinda sad cause I always hoped that Woo and Chow would work together again in the near future.  I'd hate to see their legacy together just go kaput forever.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:39 AM »
Just Heroes (1989)

IMDB | Wikipedia

Here's one of the most underrated John Woo classics! Just Heroes is virtually unknown despite the fact that it has all the classic John Woo elements: triads, brotherhood, amazing gunplay scenes and of course lots of malebonding. Starring Stephen Chow (in his most gangsta role ever), Danny Lee and the Shaw Brothers legends David Chiang, Ti Lung, Lo Lieh and Kuan Tai Chen. A must see for all John Woo fans!

Plot

Following the death of a triad leader, there is conflict within the Hong Kong organised crime syndicate as various possible leaders via for power. David Chiang attempts to bring the traiter in the midst of his own group to justice following a taped conversation of traitor admitting his crimes, but who cannot be found, while Danny Lee, the elected leader of the triad has his family attacked as he fights unknown enemies to bring the organisation back under control. Their actions are hindered by Chow Sing Chi who is attempting to built up anger between the two completing triad’s of Hong Kong. The film is brought to a classic John Woo heroic bloodshed conclusion as the traitor leader of the group storms the triad safe house in a desperate attempt to gain control over the group, but is met by heavy resistance.

DOWNLOAD

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 07:26:59 PM »
Quote from: Asianbite
New John Woo Film '1949' Canceled
“1949” is no more.

The highly-anticipated film by renowned Chinese director John Woo, set to star Taiwanese actor Chang Chen and Korean actress Sohn Hye-kyo, has been called off, reportedly due to conflicts between Woo and the production company, China Film Group.
:/

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »
Truly, one of the best directors EVER!  (or at least one of the best I'd ever seen, though apparently many agrees with me).

in this recent days, I watch several of his movies amazing ones, A better Tomorrow, A Better Tomorrow II, Hard Boiled, The Killer, Just Heroes, Face Off(USA).  And can't help but awe in his amazing directorial works. btw, Chow Yun Fat is one of my favorite actors, and him in John Woo films helped propelled him to stardom.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 06:48:19 AM »
John Woo Directing a Romeo and Juliet War Epic Next?

Wait a minute, we haven't even see Red Cliff yet! Chinese director John Woo has left Hollywood and moved back to Beijing, but that isn't stopping him from making more big budget films. He finished his two part war epic Red Cliff, which hasn't even been seen in America yet, and is already talking about what's next. Woo spoke with Empire and revealed his early plans for another Chinese-language war epic that will actually be more of a romance. "It's like a Romeo and Juliet love story," Woo said, "a love story, but with war scenes." And as for his other project called 1949, "I had to pass," due to rights issues, he says.

There's not much more known about this project, besides that it will be set 2000 years ago and will be as epic as Red Cliff, which was one of the biggest Chinese productions to date. I've started to realize, while reflecting on Woo's work, that it may be that I'm just not fond of his Hollywood films, and that's why I've come to dislike him. I have a feeling Red Cliff will be great and for some reason I'm looking forward to this next one, even though I've previously said I really hate Woo. Luckily for now, he'll stay out of Hollywood. "I will make more Chinese movies, but if I get a better script (from Hollywood) I will do it again."
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/04/17/john-woo-directing-a-romeo-and-juliet-war-epic-next/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 04:51:37 PM »
John Woo to direct Michelle Yeoh in kung fu film

By Mark Pollard on June 21, 2009

Speaking at the Shanghai Film Festival on Sunday, Michelle Yeoh mentioned that she will star in a new kung fu movie co-directed between John Woo and Taiwanese filmmaker Su Chao-pin (SILK). The Chinese-language film is tentatively titled THE SWORD AND THE MARTIAL ARTS WORLD and will begin shooting in China in September.

Despite a supporting role in last year's Jet Li-Jackie Chan adventure film THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM, the 46-year-old actress has strayed from the action genre in the last few years to take on more dramatic roles. This doesn't mean Yeoh has gone soft. "I have felt physically stronger the past few years. I don't let age limit me," Yeoh said. Michelle Yeoh, the action star, appears to be on the comeback trail with a prominent role in Yuen Woo-ping's upcoming wire-fu actioner TRUE LEGEND.

Yeoh's new film will be Woo's first project since directing the two-part historical war epic RED CLIFF. It's not his first martial arts movie. The Hong Kong helmer is best known for his modern day gunplay actioners in the 1980s and '90s but as many genre fans know, he was once a protégé of legendary martial arts moviemaker Chang Cheh. He began his career directing martial arts movies at Golden Harvest. They include THE DRAGON TAMERS (1975), HAND OF DEATH (1976) featuring a young Jackie Chan and the wuxia classic LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY (1979).
http://www.kungfucinema.com/john-woo-to-direct-michelle-yeoh-in-kung-fu-film-8633
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:57:09 PM by Masa »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 09:32:31 PM »
John Woo Returning to WWII with The Flying Tiger Heroes

Chinese director John Woo, who decided to remain in China after finishing his two-part epic Red Cliff, is gearing up to start a new project tentatively titled Flying Tiger Heroes. SlashFilm reports that Woo held a press conference in China to announce the new project, which will have a budget of roughly $161 million (although that seems a bit much for a Chinese production). The film will be about The Flying Tigers, known otherwise as The 1st American Volunteer Group, a fighter squadron that flew missions against the Japanese in World War II. Looks like Woo is giving George Lucas and his WWII Red Tails movie a run for its money.

Woo promises that Flying Tiger Heroes will feature "the most spectacular aerial battle scenes ever seen in Chinese cinema." The Flying Tigers destroyed some 300 enemy aircraft while only suffering 14 causalities during the war. The planes the squadron flew were featured the very recognizable shark-teeth design on the nose (seen in the photo above). "This is an extremely important production," Woo explained. "This Yunnan-themed film emphasizes China-US friendship and the contributions of the Flying Tigers and the people of Yunnan during the War of Resistance." The cast will feature a mix of Hollywood and Chinese movie stars.

Either this means that Woo isn't directing that rumored "Romeo and Juliet War Epic" next or that project has been put on the backburner (or was just a rumor to begin with). I'm not the biggest fan of Woo's work in Hollywood, so if he continues to stay in China and make movies there, maybe I'll actually gain some respect for him again. I'm actually looking forward to seeing these upcoming aerial WWII movies, so bring 'em on!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/07/06/john-woo-returning-to-wwii-with-the-flying-tiger-heroes/

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
^ need that on DVD now :shocked: Rare underrated Woo shit!!

WWII movie?! I smell more patriotism here. :china:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
Last Hurrah For Chivalry - U.S. Promotional Trailer
Fuuuuuck! I need that movie like daigong needs a pity post!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:18:34 PM by Masa »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 10:22:33 PM »
BMW Films - The Hire - Hostage

The Hire is a series of short films made by BMW together with some of the worlds best directors. Hostage - starring Clive Owen and the BMW Z4. Directed by John Woo.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:03 PM »
Way of Honor: Official "John Woo" Short Version (2007)

John Woo himself and his panel of judges personally picked this film to be in the Top 10 of the Stranglehold True to John Woo Short Film Contest in July, 2007. The contest limited the running time to 2 1/2 minutes, and this is the version of the film made specifically for John Woo to see. The Extended Five Minute Version will be posted soon, hope you guys like this one as much as John Woo did! Go to http://www.tmupictures.com to see the high quality version, and other TMU Pictures films.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »
What Should John Woo Direct Next: Marco Polo or Le Samourai?

I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of Chinese filmmaker John Woo. I've written about my disdain for him many times before, but I'm starting to warm up to him again with every poster and trailer I see for Red Cliff. Earlier this week, Quentin Tarantino revealed that he's got a few projects on his slate to choose from. Much like Tarantino, John Woo has a few projects to choose from as well. Movieline recently interviewed the director (for Red Cliff's US release) and discovered that he's got another ancient epic about Marco Polo in the works as well as a remake of Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai. So which one should he direct next?

"I still have two projects that I like very much," Woo said. "One is trying to remake a French classic called Le Samouraï." That news may surprise Woo fans, since the director already mounted a near-remake of Jean-Pierre Melville’s 1967 crime drama with his Chow Yun-Fat starrer The Killer. However, twenty years have passed since the release of The Killer, and as Woo explained, "I want to make it into a modern film."

As for the second project, it has something in common with Red Cliff, said Woo. "The other is also a historical period film: Marco Polo." He laughed as he revealed that while the ancient Chinese story of the Battle of Red Cliff has long dominated his thoughts, he’s been just as interested in the tales of explorer Marco Polo and his relationship with Kublai Khan. "It's one of my favorite stories," he said.

So which of those two projects would you want to see Woo direct next? Let's not forget that a few years back he decided to up and leave Hollywood and move back to China, to continue making movies there for a few years (out of the studio system). Earlier this year he mentioned he had a "Romeo and Juliet love story" in the works; then he got attached to Flying Tiger Heroes back in July. And he's got that Hard Boiled prequel that's been talked about, although he already said he's not directing that one. So, really, Woo has a lot to choose from, even though he only mentioned two projects to Movieline.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/10/07/what-should-john-woo-direct-next-marco-polo-or-le-samourai/

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ala - Music and Coffee