JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Davichi - I Love You Even If I Hate You

Author Topic: [EDIT - CANCELLED] Japanese "Iron Chef" revival series - ending March 2013  (Read 10699 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
The guys at TokyoHive seem to be treating this as news, I'm choosing to air on the side of caution, mainly because I LOVED watching the original Iron Chef (when the dubbed eps would be broadcast here on Food Network) and I don't want to get my hopes up too high and risk massive disappointment in case this falls through or worse, turns out to be false.

“Ryori no Tetsujin” (Iron Chef) to return to Japanese TV screens in October
by babamoosh on September 8, 2012 at 7:35 am

Fuji TV recently held a press conference to present their October TV program lineup and announced that popular cooking battle variety program “Ryori no Tetsujin” will be making a comeback on Japanese TV screens as “Iron Chef”. The program will be aired every Friday from 7:57pm to 8:54pm.

The program’s first incarnation ran for 6 years, starting in 1993, and achieved great viewership ratings despite its nighttime 11pm slot. Ratings averaged 14.8% and reached 23.2% at its peak. The program’s regular chefs, called “Iron Chefs” faced off against challenger chefs in an intense battle held in the kitchen studio. The winner was decided by a panel of judges. In 2004, the show format was bought by an American company and “Iron Chef” was broadcast in 80 countries.

At the press conference, Fuji TV expressed that “Iron Chef” is making a triumphant return. Director of production, Arai Akihiro remarked, “The show traveled the world, and has been polished up and weeded out. The new ‘Iron chef’ will be the world version that we can show now in the year 2012.”

More details about the participants appearing in “Iron Chef” will be announced at a later date.

Source - http://mantan-web.jp/2012/09/07/20120907dog00m200008000c.html
ORIGINAL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/09/ryori-no-tetsujin-iron-chef-to-return-to-japanese-tv-screens-in-october/

Now, if there is a chance that this is both legit and likely to happen? All I can say is...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:38:47 PM by JFC »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: [RUMOR] “Ryori no Tetsujin” (Iron Chef) to return to Japanese TV?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »
Cool I wonder who will be the new Iron Chefs because most have moved onto better things like Sakai and Marumoto
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
^
I wouldn't mind seeing a new line-up of chefs if this happens. The original group, as you said, has for the most part gone on to newer (and sometimes bigger) endeavours. Besides, it couldn't hurt to show off some of the "newer" faces dominating the Japanese food world nowadays. 
:)

Offline m00nchild

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Positive Mindset will Guide you to Happiness
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
Looking forward for it~
can learn more cooking in the program

Offline ayajoo

• ecchi
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:49:24 AM »
Good news if true. I enjoyed watching the English dub and found it to be quite competent. Also loved the Chairman's presence.

Offline rexnax

• ecchi
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »
wow~my childhood memory..
it's like 10 years ago~
the red, yellow and white chef? as I remember...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 01:05:34 AM »
the red, yellow and white chef? as I remember...
Close. When the show was first introduced to viewers here in N.America, the show had this lineup:

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT
a) GREEN, WHITE & RED: Iron Chef Italian - Kobe Masahiko
b) YELLOW: Iron Chef Chinese - Chen Kenichi
c) SILVER: Iron Chef Japanese - Morimoto Masaharu
d) RED: Iron Chef French - Sakai Hiroyuki

Later on, western audiences learned that there had been other seasons of the show that happened prior to the ones that we had been first introduced to, and that with those earlier seasons, there were other chefs who had previously/formerly held the titles of "Iron Chef" (seen in the following picture showing all the Iron Chefs seen in the series).

a) GREEN - Iron Chef French (I) - Ishinabe Yutaka
b) BLUE - Iron Chef Japanese (I) - Michiba Rokusaburo
c) PURPLE - Iron Chef Japanese (II) - Nakamura Koumei

Offline jafeijai

• Member+
  • Music is my life ♪
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:06:35 AM »
Looks like we got some more news on the matter:

Tamaki Hiroshi to host the new ‘Iron Chef’ on Fuji TV
by HPriest on October 14, 2012 at 9:37 pm

In September, Fuji TV announced that they would bring back the popular cooking battle variety program “Ryori no Tetsujin” from the 1990s that became a big hit not only in Japan, but around the world.

They revealed that the new show would to adopt its English name ‘Iron Chef‘ as the main title, but they didn’t mention anything about the successor of its host, the charismatic actor Kaga Takeshi (62). Today they finally lifted the secret and announced actor Tamaki Hiroshi (32) as the new host.

They held a press conference immediately after the first recording at the new studio. Tamaki explained that he had doubts when he received the offer and said, “Kaga has a really strong image and I wondered whether I’m really the right choice for this position.” Kaga truly is one of a kind and the impression he had made on this show still remains strongly, but Tamaki didn’t shy away from this inheritance. He continued, “(In the end) I immediately accepted the offer, because I wanted to challenge something new now that I’m over thirty.”

Tamaki looked back at the first recording and stated, “I was so tense that I didn’t feel anything.” He was still wearing that black suit with the golden embroidery during the press conference. “I probably shouldn’t wear this outside the studio,” he joked. “It’s based on my own ideas and features a Japanese touch.” He was asked whether he also has a signature phrase like Kaga back in the day and replied, “I do have one, but that’s still a secret.”

The reporters also tried to get him to comment on the recent rumors about his love life, but he remained cool and silent. They asked, “Now that you are an ‘Iron Chef’, wouldn’t you also need an ‘Iron Housewife’?” He laughed, “An iron housewife? Hahaha! Well, it would be great if she was a good cook indeed.” Further questions about a possible upcoming wedding and so on were only answered with a smile.

Leading the show alongside Tamaki will be the two Fuji TV announcers Sano Mizuki (40) and Mita Yurika (25) as well as comedian Miyagawa Daisuke (40).

‘Iron Chef’ is going to premiere with its first extended episode on October 26th.
From: http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/10/tamaki-hiroshi-to-host-the-new-iron-chef-on-fuji-tv/
Press pictures also located there.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 02:28:31 AM »
For anyone interested.....

:strawberry: :banana: :pepper: :leek: :cow: THE FIRST EP IS UP AT D-ADDICTS!!! :cow: :leek: :pepper: :banana: :strawberry:
There are currently 2 different encodes (both RAW) from which to choose:
756MB MKV - http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_121470.htm
1.6GB MP4 - http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_121585.htm

Looks like they did a 2-hour special for the re-debut/renewal of the series; without CMs, it's around 90 minutes of actual show footage. Not only that, they're actually referring to this series using the westernized "Iron Chef" title (perhaps to establish it as being different/separate from the first series).  At any rate, I'm DLing it as we speak.  :thumbsup

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 04:27:59 AM »
I watched it a few days ago. :P

I didn't watch the original much. but for ppl who did, you'll probably enjoy the competitors they found for this episode. :thumbup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:52:24 AM »
Second episode is up.  The original airdates appear to be on Saturdays, with the eps appearing on D-Addicts a day or two later. :)

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_121972.htm

I'm liking it so far, just wish there were subs out there for it.
:mon sweat:

Oh, and there's now an official website for the show: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/ironchef/index.html  :thumbsup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Considering the show has been back on the air for a few weeks now, I should probably change the thread title so it doesn't say "RUMOUR" anymore. :P

So I just watched the 6th episode (aired 2012.12.07) where the new Japanese cuisine Iron Chef, Kurogi Jun was able to score his first win after *ouch* losing his debut battle in the 2nd episode (aired 2012.11.02).
:mon sweat:

Anyhoos, in the last few minutes of the episode, they seemed to be hinting that something significant may be happening involving Kurogi and the first/original Iron Chef Japanese, Michiba Rokusaburo, and that it may be happening on or around New Year's Eve.
:mon determined:

Oh, and for whatever reason, they STILL haven't selected a fourth Iron Chef yet.  :? Hope they find/select one soon, as having that "figure in the shadows" on the Profile page of the shows official website just doesn't look right.
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/ironchef/chef/chef0.html

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Anyhoos, in the last few minutes of the episode, they seemed to be hinting that something significant may be happening involving Kurogi and the first/original Iron Chef Japanese, Michiba Rokusaburo, and that it may be happening on or around New Year's Eve.
:mon determined:
So I finally got around to finding and DLing this New Year's Eve SP, and

HOLY SHIT!!! IT'S A TRIPLE BATTLE MEGASHOW!!!

WITH MICHIBA-SAN AND MORIMOTO-SAN RETURNING TO TAKE ON THE NEW IRON CHEFS!!!!!

New Year’s Eve special preview:

Pongtawat “Ian” Chareomkittichai (Iron Chef Thailand) vs. IC Suga
Michiba Rokusaburo vs. IC Kurogi
Morimoro Masaharu vs. IC Wakiya
http://ironcheffans.info/wordpress/?p=1309

:w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t: :cow: :w00t:

Oh, and apparently:
The 4th Iron Chef – Coming Soon!!

According to the Fuji Television Iron Chef Official Page, we will find out the identity of the 4th Iron Chef during the next episode on January 18th. Of course, if anyone sees any stories in the Japanese press, please let me know, and I’ll be  happy to share the news here.
http://ironcheffans.info/wordpress/?p=1324
 :thumbsup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH??!?!?!?!?
 :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

This Iron Chef Revival is Ovah?

HT to a helpful commenter.

http://justhungry.com/it-looks-revival-iron-chef-japan-has-been-cancelled

According to this article, it seems that the revival of Iron Chef will be rather short lived.

From the article:
“They even tried putting on a 3-hour live special on New Year’s Eve, against the venerable Kōhaku Uta Gassen on NHK – and only garnered a miserable 4% rating.”   (OUCH.  –KB)

Keep your eyes and ears open for more news.

UPDATE: No real news so far, but there is a good discussion going on over on the Kitchen Stadium message boards HERE. I really hope this is just worry about nothing and we have new episodes for years to come.
http://ironcheffans.info/wordpress/?p=1363

Geez, it never occured to me that their big New Year's Eve special was going up AGAINST Kohaku. What were the producers thinking? :doh:

It would suck major monkey balls if the show is cancelled at this point. I mean, FFS, they announced that they were going to finally unveil the 4th Iron Chef.
 :banghead:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan it's done. :(

Sayonara Iron Chef – This Time It’s Official
ORIGINAL SOURCE - http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130301-00000305-oric-ent

We all hoped the speculation about the early demise of the return of Iron Chef would turn out to be wrong. Unfortunately, it has been announced that the new Iron Chef will be officially ending after March. As of right now, there is only one more scheduled episode on March 22nd. We do now know yet what this means for the rebroadcasts of the original series on FujiTVONE.

The article was translated over at the Kitchen Stadium Message Boards. (I’ll post it here as soon as I get Miwa’s OK to do so.) Thank you so much to our friend in Japan, Miwa, for translating this article for us.

Article translation by Miwa on the Kitchen Stadium Message Boards

The source is ORICON. They are credible. They are a provider of entertainment information and content; especially they are famous for ORICON charts. (like a Billboard charts in the US)

They said as follows (Sorry for my bad English but I did my best for the translation. Hope you understand):

It was revealed in a briefing session of program reorganization by Fuji TV on 3/1 that Iron Chef (Fri. 7:57pm), the revival of Ryori no Tetsujin, a program representing Fuji TV will be terminated in March.

They started to air the new show in last October but the show's title, the time slot, iron chefs didn't fit in the audience and they decided the termination of regular broadcast.

Mr. Tatematsu, General Manager of Editing, explained, "Iron Chef is a high quality show and we can say it is FujiTV's treasure. Currently we are struggling for the ratings. We think we have a time slot problem, too, so we would like to consider about a way to make it as special program and forward it into the next stage."

As a trend of the latest audience, Mr. Arai, Chief of Editing & Producing bureau talked about the difficulty of fixing of new show, "Not only they refuse something new but also they hate mannerism."

From April, their another variety show "Jinsei no Seikai TV ~ Korega Teppan! ~" will be scheduled to be promoted from occasional program to regular broadcast (to be aired in there). It is an information variety show with the theme of searching "which is the correct way?" in a lot of "choice" scene in our life, such as crisis situation in survival scene or real problem in our daily life. The casts are under adjustment.
http://ironcheffans.info/wordpress/?p=1432

Dammit.  :tama-mad:

Offline soon-kyu

wow i hope someone subs this.. i really liked the original version iron chef compared to the western version. the japanese makes every dish like art !

Offline wolfomibu

• ecchi
Does anyone have any links for this? Subbed would be great.If anyone has to share it would be perfect :) Thanks in advance

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Davichi - I Love You Even If I Hate You