JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Butter Dog - Eh! Sunege

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 303304 times)

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread ("NEW!")
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2008, 02:02:24 AM »
Hmmm *wonders if he's stilll a newbie*

And damn, I don't check this thread in a couple days and I get mentioned again. XD (thanks JFC for the nod! :lol:)

I guess I'm guilty of not updating much this month either. For some reason I've gotten drawn to the perv section instead... :ph43r: I'm gonna need to work on that this week. One of my fics here needs to be done within the next month or so.

Although... I've also not written as much because I'm getting ready to move to nowhere in a couple weeks lol. I kinda can't wait until I get to Japan from a writing standpoint, cause I can imagine all the stuff wandering around there is gonna inspire me to write about... I'll actually know a few things about the settings in my stories. XD

There's even a new chapter of Gegenschein I need to catch up with...

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2008, 03:14:47 AM »
You stop being a newbie when you remember H!P's history? If you don't know the founding/original groups, then you're still in the process of growing out of the noob stage.

At least that's what i think.
I had a great teacher so I learnt that real fast, thus that doesn't count :P

*randomly pops in*

I think you stop being a newbie when you stop feeling like one. There's no way of telling exactly when you're not, unless you've got some newb basher glued to your tail reminding you of your newbie status here and there, and then suddenly disappearing one day o_O. When you're confident in your knowledge of most things H!P (after getting your facts straight), then...yeah.
I like that idea!
But considering the 8.5-9 years or whatever that i was totally oblivious to the existence of H!P I think I will all ways feel like a newbie until I make up for that time  :banghead:

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2008, 03:35:25 AM »
I don't know...you can easy make up for that time by watching lots and lots of videos XD  I felt my newbiness only lasted a couple of months in the beginning...since I just watched stuff like non stop when I got into the h!p world and I easily absorb and remember what I see/read...though my brain is a little scary like that.  I feel that when you can spend a good chunk of time answering questions on h!p rather than asking questions...that's when you have outgrown your newbiness.

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2008, 04:10:55 AM »
I feel like I'll always be a noob because there will always be ppl who know more than me. I know, it's kinda stupid, but I tend to feel that way about a lot of things. I'm hoping I'm becoming less noob-ish, though! :lol:

Offline lollipopgirl

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2008, 04:15:59 AM »
Sukoshi, I like what you said... That makes me feel like I'm not a newbie... I killed my internet during the first few months coz of the amount of vids I watched and then had to get a new plan so I had higher d/l limit coz I watched (and still do) too much :lol:
But I'm with kream of strawb3rry as well :P

Offline poets

• The forgotten Writer
  • Member+
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2008, 03:35:20 AM »
Well, since this is the general discussion thread for all of us... I guess I should post it here. I'm having issue, MAJOR issues, with my laptop and can't properly access it. Several of the stories I was working on are stuck in there, I'm not to worry though. Once the laptop is repaired (by the end of this week) I'll have full access to them NO PROB. So if any of you were wondering (which i don't think you were) why I hadn't posted up the next chapters of my stories... now you know.

over and out,
Poets  :pimp:

P.S. I'm using someone else computer :lol:
Rika <3 So funneh

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »
Not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe it's because I'm unwell, and therefore melancholy. Who knows? Moods come and moods go.

Got to thinking about the girls, you know. As characters, in our stories. Oh, they're real people, that they are, but once we start to write them, they become characters. Real people becoming fake people in a story-verse where the writer is judge and jury, God and Lord.

So they become paintings. Caricatures. A different kind of reality. Still people. But not the same people that they are, in our reality. No, they cross into story-world, and become something else.

People still, but not the same anymore.

I wonder how it is we treat them, we writers, we who pretend to play God in our little universes. I read stories, I write stories. Do we treat them with respect, as people deserve?

Or do we treat them as toys? Plasticine, blocks of clay to be played with, molded into whatever shape we desire?

Somewhere along the way, I think we sometimes lose sight of the fact that they're fake people, still people, based off real people who (I hope) have no idea what we're doing with our images of them.

I try to respect them. Little me, big me, pieces of me. I respect even little fragments of imaginary people, woven out of my own consciousness, who aren't even based off real people. Not like the girls. But I do love them, like my own. They are my own.

Do you think of them? What do you think of them? How do you think of them? Caricatures all? We do, after all, have so little to go by. Little pieces, possibly real, possibly fake. So many possibilities.

Are what we see on video the truth? Or lies? But there is truth even in a lie, reality in what is said and not-said. What is presented may conceal much, but the choice to conceal such too, reveals much.

We read, we write. We pretend to understand. We play in our own little backyards. Sometimes we let others peek, visit a little. Sometimes we cross over, watch others, watch them at play.

We play with dolls here. Dolls all, based off our favorite girls. Each of us who write, our own set of dolls available to us. Some basic; others more detailed, more precise. Some even collector's editions, practically lifelike. Those are rare, and there are those who watch and learn, and add more to their own dolls. Crude dolls, exquisite masterpieces. They're all here.

And then now I wonder. I do so wonder.

How many of us actually know how to mold a human?

I leave in peace. My throat burns, it rumbles, a wracking cough that tastes of blood. Blood remembered. I take my rest now.

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2008, 05:02:03 PM »
Just to tell you, Estrea-san, sometimes you scare me a little. :lol:
Anyway, yeah, I think you're right. We really don't know what they're like so we just make up what suits us. I was actually trying to explain my fanfic writing to my mom yesterday. I kept telling her they're based on real ppl but aren't. And she was like :?
I'll be honest, respecting my characters never really occured to me. I respect all the girls in H!P but the little personalities I create don't get as much. I just never thought about it. Call me a bad writer or whatever but I just never thought of them as real, I guess. Because I'm fairly sure that none of the girls act in the same way that I write them so they are pretty fictional. The only thing they share is names. And occasionally bits of info, like favorite food or something.
Get better soon! Cuz I want updates! :D

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Just to tell you, Estrea-san, sometimes you scare me a little. :lol:

Don't worry, I scare me too, you're not the only one. XD

I'll be honest, respecting my characters never really occured to me. I respect all the girls in H!P but the little personalities I create don't get as much. I just never thought about it.

Most people don't think about it. It's easy to forget sometimes. Toys are easy to get, easy to discard.

Call me a bad writer or whatever but I just never thought of them as real, I guess. Because I'm fairly sure that none of the girls act in the same way that I write them so they are pretty fictional. The only thing they share is names. And occasionally bits of info, like favorite food or something.

If I were feeling better I might have decided to chew you out for this. XD I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to writing, and I sometimes get upset when people don't take it seriously. Of course, parody is an entirely different category on its own, and I enjoy it greatly. But the first step is to respect what you have to work with. Michelangelo saw the statue in the stone, and revealed it to the world with his chisel. He respected his material, that much I believe. But I prattle on too long. No one really cares what I think. We all believe what we like to believe. ;)

Get better soon! Cuz I want updates! :D

Believe me, I'm trying. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
If I were feeling better I might have decided to chew you out for this. XD I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to writing, and I sometimes get upset when people don't take it seriously. Of course, parody is an entirely different category on its own, and I enjoy it greatly. But the first step is to respect what you have to work with. Michelangelo saw the statue in the stone, and revealed it to the world with his chisel. He respected his material, that much I believe. But I prattle on too long. No one really cares what I think. We all believe what we like to believe. ;)

Perhaps I'm glad then because I have a feeling I'd be a lot more afraid of you if you did! Mm, I can see what you mean. I shouldn't just treat them like nothing. Maybe I'll become a better writer if I respect my material.
Thank you for helping me see my ignorance. :lol:
Sorry, it's sounds so cheesy! XD

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »
Aww don't be scared of the Essy-chan teddy bear. XD

Although, I do hope she's getting some good sleep now! :yep:

It's when you yourself take on the character of one from your story that you really have to begin to worry. :heart:

I'm not sure how much "respect" we can really say we give these girls, especially for those who venture into the perv section. Maybe I'll give a Japanese interpretation of it: they're celebrities, they're there to be lampooned. :lol:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:40 PM »
Aww don't be scared of the Essy-chan teddy bear. XD

Hey don't ruin my rep! XD

Although, I do hope she's getting some good sleep now! :yep:

Obviously I'm not sleeping... >_> <_< >_> XD

I'm not sure how much "respect" we can really say we give these girls, especially for those who venture into the perv section. Maybe I'll give a Japanese interpretation of it: they're celebrities, they're there to be lampooned. :lol:

I meant respect for them as people. That they are human and not merely...objects. And eh, perv doesn't count. It's its own category. Lol.

Throat hurts. Need sleep. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »
*gasp* You get yourself into bed, girl! Chop chop!

I also meant to say, that post sounded like something I'd come up with when I'm intoxicated with fatigue too lol. I get rather melancholy and depressed... At the same time though, I find it's the best crack for writing at those times too lol. You need to be in a certain alternative emotional state to be at your most creative. Or well, at least I do.

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
Hmm, I do in fact respect them as ppl but when I write, sometimes I feel they change too much. Like my characters are barely the same person. Which could be good or bad, depending on the situation. Like sometimes I feel like I go beyond what these girls would be comfortable doing in real life. I guess that's the fiction part of fanfiction. I do try to make them realistic sometimes, though.

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:15 PM »
xDDDDD

Same here, Rokun, same here. xDDD

Let's see...

Thanks to Essy-chan's post, I feel inclined to add a metaphor of my own xDDD~!

Everyone here knows that I love to draw/paint/etc, right? Well I'm drawing my words from that. xD -bricked from the pun-

It's basically the doll thing Essy-chan talked about that got me thinking about comparisons to art. Here we are, fanfic writers/artists being presented with a blank canvas while our models are real life celebrities. We paint our idols on this blank sheet much in the way we write them in our stories. As we draw, we scrutinize our idols further, "Oh, I didn't realize she had a mole there!" and then we draw in her missing mole. "HA! How could I ever forget THAT!" and then we draw what we missed in there, creating effective sculptures of the people we idolize.

I personally paint my idols in a respect that they're not simply some person posing for my empty canvas. I give my paintings emotions and movements (though my actual writing style sorta doesn't reflect that... >_> <_< ) reminiscent of the actual model o-o...  Sure, I'm painting my perspective of how they act, but at the same time, I respect their beings and I do my best to do them justice in my artwork. When I finish writing them, sometimes I wish they were tangible so I could just hug them 'cause it's like I gave birth o_o... I treat everything I write like my widdle baby ;-;...

xDDD I'm really bad at discussions... I'm not sure what I wrote made a whole lot of sense but oh well, I got it out of my system o___o...

On an unrelated note, I made a new less-intimidating signature and new advertisements clickable signatures for OCG II and my tales thread~ xDDD Hope the promotion gets around o-o;

Offline poets

• The forgotten Writer
  • Member+
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2008, 01:02:22 AM »
Man... I read Estrea's post this morning and wanted to post my opinion on it.. but duty called. I hope I'm not to late now. Anywho here we go.

A while back I was unsure if I wanted to dip into writing fanfiction for H!P. It was... well, odd for me. I had written fanfiction before but the characters were fictional themselves. So I turned to a very well known author from this forum who helped me feel much more comfortable about it, she told me "What you're writing about is the public character that the Idol presents, not the person them self".  It helped me put proper perspective on things and feel less guilty.

It's impossible to write a realistic story about someone you don't really know to the core. You work with what is given to you and what is given to you is, up to a point, a manufactured personality fit for public exposure. As idols they have certain public standards to live by, I'm not saying they lie (all the time) but i'm sure they with hold ALOT of information about themselves and what they do in their private time.  Now, when I was little they told me "Even if there's a small lie in the truth, it's considered a complete lie." If something is not true then it's not real/fake, a synonym for fake is fictional. So, in its own right, I'm writing about a fictional character.... even if aspects about it are true.

I agree with the doll point, they are our personal dolls… every character we write about, based on someone real or completely made up, is our own personal imaginary doll. We can’t forget the fact that in the end we are fanfiction writers and what we fans write is fiction, never to be taken seriously. As fanfiction writers we take what information we can take and interpret it to fit our style of writing. We then place our interpreted characters in different scenarios and make them behave accordingly.
As for issue regarding respect, I do respect them. I don’t think any self respecting writer can write a decent story about the girls if they don’t respect them as people.  As for my characters… well, it’s a little hard to respect something that doesn’t really have a free will :lol:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut yah know wat? in the end... I guess all that really matters is you're happy with what you wrote with and that your readers are happy about it too! ^_^

If I were feeling better I might have decided to chew you out for this. XD I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to writing, and I sometimes get upset when people don't take it seriously.

I get what you mean by purist, but I wouldn't call you one... cause a complete purist wouldn't change anything about their idols and most likely would find fanfic writing close to horrific. Instead of purist I'd call you an embellisher, you enhance something by adding fictional information.  <echo effect> ESTREA THE EMBELLISHER  </echo effect> come oooon admit it, it has a nice ring to it, nee?

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd that's all I had to say.

*gloomily walks back to RL where her computer patiently awaits to be fixed T____T*
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:06:18 AM by poets »
Rika <3 So funneh

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2008, 01:30:38 AM »
thanks, poets...

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2008, 02:07:44 AM »
i need to get back to writing my fics..I've been a little depressed the past week or so with problems at home..

writing seems to help me fine :)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2008, 10:35:54 AM »
As for my characters… well, it’s a little hard to respect something that doesn’t really have a free will :lol:

Funny, I'm the complete opposite. I might have made them, the characters at least, but they're like my...children? XD It's hard not to regard them as autonomous individuals despite the fact that they are technically under my control because I write them. But once you get past some point, they begin to develop their own...personality? That's if you know what you're doing though. Lol. In any story, the first few chapters might have been of your total control, but once you get further and things get established, your characters can and will write themselves. XD But the point I was trying to make was that...argh, it's hard to explain. All I can say is that whatever you write...know it, love it, understand it. Take pride in it. XD

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut yah know wat? in the end... I guess all that really matters is you're happy with what you wrote with and that your readers are happy about it too! ^_^

Yeah. Whatever makes you happiest should be good. Of course, in my case, I was absolutely miserable at one point of my writing "career" because I stopped writing for myself and tried to please all my readers instead. Heh, figured that out eventually. Write for yourself first and foremost, since you're the one staring at the story the most. ^_^

I get what you mean by purist, but I wouldn't call you one... cause a complete purist wouldn't change anything about their idols and most likely would find fanfic writing close to horrific. Instead of purist I'd call you an embellisher, you enhance something by adding fictional information.  <echo effect> ESTREA THE EMBELLISHER  </echo effect> come oooon admit it, it has a nice ring to it, nee?

Oh I think the purist you were thinking of is the "idol purist" where one wouldn't want to change any aspect of their beloved idols. I'm the kind of purist that...is loyal to the very concept of writing itself? Haha. I live and breathe writing, worship it even. Grammar and spelling errors are offensive to me lol, but I can grudgingly turn a blind eye to it at times. I write about the girls, "change" them, as you like to put it, but it's a way for me to try and figure out how their minds work. It's my way of interacting with their personas in a safe environment. It's my way of fangirling? Haha. Some people make AMVs, draw pictures, make siggies and avatars, pic-spam and spend lots of money on merchandise. I just write. Haha.

I hope I haven't intimidated people (too late I think lol), but I just take the whole writing business a lot more seriously? It's so integral a part of me that I wouldn't be complete without it. I respect that others have their own opinions about this, and this is my own. That's all I have to say.

Now to go get myself terribly bruised in a martial arts lesson. Ciao~

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline lollipopgirl

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2008, 11:25:49 AM »
My much shorter opinion on this:
The girl's are based loosely on real people, yes, but those people become somewhat like actors taking on a role. The fic itself is like a movie, having the girls placed in roles and situations that you the writer create for them. You mold them to fit the image you're trying to portray from your perception of their character, direct them in scenarios created in your mind and decide which other 'actors' (in their own new roles) they talk to, fall in love with or hate even.

By taking pride in your work and how you approach the above you're respecting them in the sense that you're providing them with the best... uhm... working environment (I guess) that you can. If you skim over the molding of their role into a more than one-dimensional character then you're selling yourself, and the girl's as people, short (I'm guilty of that!) :oops:

Fanfiction itself kinda depends on the opinions of each person and I'm sure many could argue very valid points as to why it's completely disrespectful to the girl's we claim to adore but for me, provided people are able to establish the solid line in their minds of what is real and what is fiction and not become obessed with the later (in a bad way that is), then it's all good... and that goes for everything in life, not just fanfiction.

So yeah, I hope it makes sense :oops: I have a tendency to often lose track of what I'm saying during rants :lol:

*tries to check for spelling and grammar mistakes as to avoid offending Essy* ;)

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Butter Dog - Eh! Sunege